BAD SPELLING

Does spelling player names correctly matter?

• Yes

Votes: 52 68.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • Does your job require you to ever actually work??

Votes: 8 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kf3339

Reaction score
HawkGA":30ftehzm said:
Typos happen. Sometimes names are screwy. I'm a fairly sharp guy and yet I was reading back through old facebook posts and realized how many errors I had. Usually not typos, but just full on words that weren't supposed to be in the post.

I care more about grammar than I do about things spelling.

:ditto:

kobebryant

Reaction score
It does. Spelling a name incorrectly is either ignorant or disrespectful.

Grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure also matters. But I understand that it is a lot to expect from people in a world where the majority of communication is via text.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Typos and occasional spelling mistakes aren't the issue. But who wouldn't want to be corrected if they were consistently misspelling the name of a player they were a fan of?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":3th5etnw said:
Let's draw the line between typographical errors and misspellings.

The first is accidental and could happen with any word, name or not.

The second comes from a few different areas, from laziness and ignorance to disrespect and even racism. For laziness and ignorance, as fans we should know better and put in the effort. Disrespect and racism are obviously insulting and intolerable.

So on that basis I don't see how misspelling a player's name is justifiable.

Wow...talk about a quantum leap...Sam Beckett would be proud....

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1099h7tw said:
KiwiHawk":1099h7tw said:

The second comes from a few different areas, from laziness and ignorance to disrespect and even racism. For laziness and ignorance, as fans we should know better and put in the effort. Disrespect and racism are obviously insulting and intolerable.

I guess you weren't around when Tarvaris Jackson was our QB. The "accidental" racism wasn't even veiled and led to some policies being implemented here.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The things that people get worked up over. Meh...….
You all know Ruskell Wilkens is the bestest Korterback arownd.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":3t0aommo said:
Cyrus12":3t0aommo said:
KiwiHawk":3t0aommo said:

I guess you weren't around when Tarvaris Jackson was our QB. The "accidental" racism wasn't even veiled and led to some policies being implemented here.

I guess I missed it just not sure how bad spelling leads to overt racism unless something done on purpose that I must have missed or went over my head. I haven't seen that here in my time. On another side note thoughts to you and the people of NZ today.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Let's draw a line under that part of the discussion from here out.

Kiwi... thoughts with people of NZ today..

sdog1981

Reaction score
You need to use the internet to get to this site, so please take the 10 seconds to google the players name.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":13y5s6lf said:
Most misspelled names are not typos they are just not making an attempt to learn the player's actual name which is why I find it annoying.

If you make a their/there error or a clear typo I don't care about that.

True, to a point. I know when I'm posting from my phone the thought of pulling up another tab to look up a name is annoying. Doing it from my computer isn't so bad, but the phone is annoying.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
But if I already know how to spell the name Sean, and then I hear Mar-sean Lynch on the radio or TV, then my assumption is that I already know how to spell it. I don't need to look it up when I type it here.

When the spelling police (which I appreciate here, actually) corrects me and says it's spelled like Shaun Alexander, I think, "well, that's new, but I suppose it makes more sense than pronouncing the initial 'S' as if it says 'Sh'." Ok, so Marshaun Lynch--there you go.

Nope. A more knowledgable person points out that it is actually Marshawn. Now I'm just frustrated, because this looks even better than Shaun. Why not, then, just spell it "Marshan" like where the name "Khan" is pronounced with a soft "a"?

Wait, someone else pipes up, Sean is just the Gaelic/Welsh form of the word John, which comes from the name Ian and is millennia old.

This is where I just give up. I'll spell it how I like and everyone else can just put up with it.

In truth, I try to get names right because a name is a person's identity. It reminds me of of the old Start Trek (TNG) episode where someone pronounces Data's name like the beginning of the word "platapus" instead of the rhyming with freighta. He says, "one is my name, and one is not."

Names matter.

ivotuk

Reaction score
HawkGA":39c8frta said:
Typos happen. Sometimes names are screwy. I'm a fairly sharp guy and yet I was reading back through old facebook posts and realized how many errors I had. Usually not typos, but just full on words that weren't supposed to be in the post.

I care more about grammar than I do about things spelling.

I hate bad Grammar!

I'm enjoying a good story or write up, and all of a sudden it takes a turn towards insanity and I have to solve a problem. "What did the writer mean?"

Excessive commas are annoying too. Only use a comma if there would be a (slight) pause in a verbal conversation.

I have to admit, when I write something long winded, I go back and reread it because I always screw shit up.

And Chris...it's "Geaux Seehocks!" Sheesh!

mrt144

Reaction score
1. Consistently unintentionally misspelling names bares your lazy ignorant ass. Sure we get the intent but could you not even be bothered to copy paste their name from a Google search?
2. Using nicknames is fine.
3. It is most useful to spell correctly when the only differentiation you can make between two players is a single letter.
4. The only word that I can't accept a misspelling of, even though I recognize the intent immediately is climatic/climactic. If my wife can grief me out of that error, I can grief you out of it until you pick up the mantle and grief someone else into correctness.

mrt144

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":306cq4ji said:
But if I already know how to spell the name Sean, and then I hear Mar-sean Lynch on the radio or TV, then my assumption is that I already know how to spell it. I don't need to look it up when I type it here.

When the spelling police (which I appreciate here, actually) corrects me and says it's spelled like Shaun Alexander, I think, "well, that's new, but I suppose it makes more sense than pronouncing the initial 'S' as if it says 'Sh'." Ok, so Marshaun Lynch--there you go.

Nope. A more knowledgable person points out that it is actually Marshawn. Now I'm just frustrated, because this looks even better than Shaun. Why not, then, just spell it "Marshan" like where the name "Khan" is pronounced with a soft "a"?

Wait, someone else pipes up, Sean is just the Gaelic/Welsh form of the word John, which comes from the name Ian and is millennia old.

This is where I just give up. I'll spell it how I like and everyone else can just put up with it.

In truth, I try to get names right because a name is a person's identity. It reminds me of of the old Start Trek (TNG) episode where someone pronounces Data's name like the beginning of the word "platapus" instead of the rhyming with freighta. He says, "one is my name, and one is not."

Names matter.

It is a courtesy to address people by their actual name. +20 Hawkbux for the TNG reference. Pitch perfect.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
You can be right, or you can be wrong. You have to type things out regardless of whether they are spelled correctly, or not; so why not be right?

#Don'tChooseToBeWrong

samwize77

Reaction score
Does it really matter?? C'mon....
We already get jumped on for not posting a link when you hear something from a reliable source on tv....

If we post something that was already posted moments before (maybe even seconds) we get "reminded" that the topic is already being discussed....

If our topic is not Seahawks related (this one for example) it should not be in the main forum …….

Are we in high school again? Do we need to check and recheck our posts and comments looking for any possible errors or "infringements" of the rules of forum etiquette?....

My vote is no...

Lets talk us some football!!…..lol..

…...and...….

If I were to see one more Tyler Lockette, I was ready to lose my mind.....lol......oh....wait...….

Change my vote to a yes....

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
"Does it really matter??" is asking for permission to just half-ass something. I guess it says more about the people that regularly misspell things than they even realize, or would want to acknowledge.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
mrt144":3racjrzb said:
4. The only word that I can't accept a misspelling of, even though I recognize the intent immediately is climatic/climactic. If my wife can grief me out of that error, I can grief you out of it until you pick up the mantle and grief someone else into correctness.
Since when did the word "grief" become a verb, much less an intransitive one.

smh

HawkGA

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1o8bque7 said:
mrt144":1o8bque7 said:
Since when did the word "grief" become a verb, much less an intransitive one.

smh

Since Millennials.