Baldwin's Penalty

Uncle Si

Reaction score
253hawk":37w39pjq said:
I thought it was funny. Y'all need to lighten up. Back in the Tagliabue era this wouldn't even be a thing.

It didn't even affect anything because NE boomed the ensuing punt into the end zone for a touchback.

Lot of younger fans on today. I grew up watching in the 80s when the players were allowed to have fun. They celebrated TDs with dances, choreographed at times.

Sensitive fans couldn't take it. Now you have to "act like you've been there before" (which, by the way, he hadn't).

Whatever I guess. Anxiety and disdain are so much easier than laughing and smiling.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Seanhawk":85lztdj5 said:
It didn't have an effect ultimately, but yeah, unbelievably selfish. I've grown tired of his act this year. I stopped listening to his interviews about halfway through the season.

For those who still think he only spun the ball...

[youtube]Cr5IGBhaUJA[/youtube]

I was going over this and I think you maybe wrong.

Do you realize after NE went 3 and out, we drove to the NE 47 yard line.
No big deal except when you calculate the 15 yards that was lost, we would have been on the 32 yard line.

Had we kicked a fg to make the score 27 to 14, there would have been much more pressure on NE. and had the same situation developed at the end, we never would have passed, but just pounded the ball for either a TD or a fg to win the game.

I think this penalty ultimately killed us.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Bob loblaw":tppwxq4c said:
Should have been cut the minute the game ended, what an embarrassment to your organization. To do that and you know it was premeditated in the Super Bowl was just disgusting. He is the Ultimate loser. He was know for being angry Doug, a hard working undrafted kid who it pretty good. Now he will forever be known as "Defecation Celebration' dude.
Hey Bob, here's a little advice for ya, worry about your own team!
Mmmmkay?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Bobblehead":383tgjf2 said:
Seanhawk":383tgjf2 said:
It didn't have an effect ultimately, but yeah, unbelievably selfish. I've grown tired of his act this year. I stopped listening to his interviews about halfway through the season.

No big deal except when you calculate the 15 yards that was lost, we would have been on the 32 yard line.

Had we kicked a fg to make the score 27 to 14, there would have been much more pressure on NE. and had the same situation developed at the end, we never would have passed, but just pounded the ball for either a TD or a fg to win the game.

At the risk of sounding too harsh...

Wrong....... what killed us was throwing the ball at the half yardline instead of handing the ball off to Lynch with the game on the line for the millionth time. The rest is irrelevant when all you had to do was hand the ball off to the best RB in the league to win and you (Bevell) got cute with the playcall. Those are the facts, like it or not.

The revisionist history that has been created around here to deflect criticism of the play that doomed us is moronic and false.

ceej22

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2e08zdfz said:

We will never know how much of an effect it had. Seattle lost presumably lost 15 yards of field position and stalled on 3rd and 2 15 yards away from sub 50-yd FG range. Might have had all the effect in the world.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Bob loblaw":2k7e89t9 said:
Harbaugh takes a lot of heat for Baldwin and Sherman at Stanford, but it turns out that Baldwin is just a prick and always has been. This whole angry Doug thing is old and played. He was marginal at Stanford and he is a marginal player for the Seahawks. I see why he was undrafted, not because he wasnt a hard worker, its because of character issues. Those have nothing to do with head coaches. DB will always be what he is. A decent little rec, trying to be bigger than what he really is. All he has to do is look at the contract extension he signed to know what the NFL thinks of him. Exit stage left Doug, the Seahawks number one priority this offseason is upgrading your position.

If I was you, I'd be more worried about Tomsula having a stroke while trying to 'fit pieces together' by fiercely wringing his hands and sweating bullets.

ceej22

Reaction score
peppersjap":245tgbku said:
After seeing what Baldwin and Kearse did I would be completely comfortable with both of them being released. They are representing our team and did that in the most watched Super Bowl ever! What an embarrassment and I was a fan of both. I really do hope the league fines them heavily and if the team doesn't take some kind of action I will be disappointed.
I never thought I would see one of our WR's make Tate look classy. This came 2 weeks after Mathews grabs his package and gets fined.
I love winning but we need to do it with a little class!

Matthews DID NOT grab his package. He most definitely was shaking Lynch's hand in the clip that has been passed around the web.

Chapman

Reaction score
I agree with a lot of the previous posts.
I'm burned out on his act. I like that he wants to play with a fire in his belly, and a chip on his shoulder. But act like you've been there. Also if your going to rant and rave and call out the media, actually have something to say. Make it mean something or actually produce consistently for your team.

Cutting him is over the top though.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He gets ONE catch, on basically a pick by the ref, and acts like he accomplished something. I like Baldwin, but he flat out got OWNED by Revis, all day long.

firebee

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":rs9ycbwo said:
Bobblehead":rs9ycbwo said:
Seanhawk":rs9ycbwo said:

At the risk of sounding too harsh...

Wrong....... what killed us was throwing the ball at the half yardline instead of handing the ball off to Lynch with the game on the line for the millionth time. The rest is irrelevant when all you had to do was hand the ball off to the best RB in the league to win and you (Bevell) got cute with the playcall. Those are the facts, like it or not.

The revisionist history that has been created around here to deflect criticism of the play that doomed us is moronic and false.

AMEN... Time for people to wake up and start placing the blame for this loss where it belongs.... On Bevell.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Doug Baldwin needs to grow up. His act is old. For a "Stanford Guy" he sure acts like a jackass at times.

Matter of fact both our "Stanford Guys" seam to act a little immature at times. Both are on their second contracts, no longer young and inexperienced. Time to act like it.

Seafan

Reaction score
Hawk receivers are pedestrian. Hopefully Norwood, Richardson and Matthews can find better role models. We need these young guys to grow up fast.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Bobblehead":12g5nqr7 said:

Or .. you know.. had Kearse caught the ball that hit him in the hands.. they get to the 20 and who knows what happens after that.

But yeah.. loss is definitely on Doug pooping a football even though NE didn't do anything on offense the next two drives. Sure thing.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I doubt people actually think they lost because of Doug's corny celebration. He just did absolutely nothing in the game that's all.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1zlwnwcj said:
I doubt people actually think they lost because of Doug's corny celebration. He just did absolutely nothing in the game that's all.
That's funny, I think I recall that he caught a TD pass?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
1 catch w/the help of the ref screening Revis. I love Doug, but come on man, he did squat in that game. I understand getting a touchdown is a big deal. But one catch all day long. Revis owned him. All he talks about is being dissed etc. and he has a chance to go up against one of the best. One catch.
He's one of my favorite players on the team, I guess it just seemed pretty corny to do what he did on that stage.

Seafan

Reaction score
Uncle Si":20gjqtb5 said:
253hawk":20gjqtb5 said:
I thought it was funny. Y'all need to lighten up. Back in the Tagliabue era this wouldn't even be a thing.

It didn't even affect anything because NE boomed the ensuing punt into the end zone for a touchback.

Lot of younger fans on today. I grew up watching in the 80s when the players were allowed to have fun. They celebrated TDs with dances, choreographed at times.

Sensitive fans couldn't take it. Now you have to "act like you've been there before" (which, by the way, he hadn't).

Whatever I guess. Anxiety and disdain are so much easier than laughing and smiling.

Players didn't get 15 yard penalties for stuff like that back in the day. Baldwin knew he would draw a flag. And after the team certainly talked to ML about not doing the nut grab. Stupid, selfish jerk. Baldwin is the highest paid #4 receiver in the league and he struggled after getting paid. We need taller, faster, more consistent and more mature receivers. Baldwin's act has wore thin. It wouldn't bother me if the Hawks cut him.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Is it a good decision to bet that the outcome of a fair die roll will be less than six? Does the outcome of that roll affect whether it was a good decision to bet on it? Yes and No. The outcome of a decision does not tell you whether the decision itself was good or not. If somebody tries to shoot you but the gun jams then you will probably still be upset.

The important thing about ADB's 'celebration' is that the 15 yards could have negatively impacted the Seahawks significantly. Arguing about how much it did matter is irrelevant; it mattered 15 yards worth. What happened later in the game is another topic.

Was the upside worth it? Was it a mistake? Based on ADB's comments afterwards it seems like the answer is clearly No to both questions. This was premeditated, selfish, hurt the team and ADB has shown no remorse about it. He's still our best receiver but I don't see how that makes it better.