Bevell getting some love...

RichNhansom

Reaction score
The OC is always the victim of poor execution, poor QB play and good opponent defensive execution. That goes double when you have a QB that everyone loves. I think Bevell is also the victim of philosophy because Pete and Cable share a very similar mind set of ball control football that essentially ties the hands of both the QB and OC. When it is working no one complains but last year we got to see what it looks like without Lynch and horrible O-line play.

I credit the first half of last season to Pete and Cable and the second half to Pete realizing their philosophy wasn't getting it done and something had to change. I really believe that is when Pete finally said OK Bevell and Wilson show us what you got. You know what happened next.

The last few years have been fun reading 9er forums about how horrible Roman was. Even Ballke's daughter tweeted Greg Romam can take a hike the 49ers don't want you no more, after the Thanks giving day defeat to Seattle. It's been fun watching all the excuses for Kaep and then to watch Kaep deteriorate to trash after Roman's departure and then success with the Bills.

Here's the thing though, I love Wilson too but really is he completely free of any blame for performance or execution? Bevell has been working with Wilson from his first day as a rookie. Do you really believe Wilson has been flawless from day 1 and Bevell has just been holding him back?

I have a feeling this offense will look completely different this year. I think the O-line moves and RB's we brought in/drafted are geared more towards pass protection, getting the ball out quickly and spread formations than in the past and I think we will see a shift in philosophy. I really believe this will be the year we can honestly rate Bevell's play calling.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not 100% sold on Bevell yet either but the way last year played out and knowing Pete and Cable's philosophy makes it hard not to look at last year as anything but a philosophy change.

We will still have our struggles. Last year we took the league by storm for a while because the league had no idea what was coming. Wilson still needs to be better (alot better) in the first quarter also. The league will adjust and take away some of the things that were working so well but I think we will still see a dramatic change overall and hopefully as much success or more than we have enjoyed since Bevell arrived.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Wilson deserves some blame but so does every single QB that has ever played in his first 4 years. Wilson might be the best ever 4 years in. Wilson does start a little slow but I put more blame in the conservative scripted approach that we tend to start with. Bevell seems to get better as the game goes along and maybe it's Pete/Cable handcuffing him, hard to know unless we are in the room with them.

My biggest problem with Bevell is his situational awareness at times. We've been over the SB pick a million times so I won't get into the throw vs run debate but he should of known the play was doomed from the start with the personnel he had in place. As mad as I was at Kearse for missing the block or Lockette for not being a little more aggressive in his route Bevell should of known it was Browner on the outside and Kearse didn't have a great chance of beating Browner at what Browner does best.

I've been as vocal as anyone killing Bevell as well as praising him at times. That in and of itself sort of sums up Bevell to me. I truly think we are better with him, but when he drops the ball he tends to drop it in spectacular fashion.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":3swsu7vr said:
Well that's the problem, he is trying to set up one big play and sacrificing another 20 at times in the set up, you have to do both.
Yep.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
I agree or disagree with this article based on my pre-existing opinion of Bevell.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
austinslater25":tiwudmf2 said:
Wilson deserves some blame but so does every single QB that has ever played in his first 4 years. Wilson might be the best ever 4 years in. Wilson does start a little slow but I put more blame in the conservative scripted approach that we tend to start with. Bevell seems to get better as the game goes along and maybe it's Pete/Cable handcuffing him, hard to know unless we are in the room with them.

My biggest problem with Bevell is his situational awareness at times. We've been over the SB pick a million times so I won't get into the throw vs run debate but he should of known the play was doomed from the start with the personnel he had in place. As mad as I was at Kearse for missing the block or Lockette for not being a little more aggressive in his route Bevell should of known it was Browner on the outside and Kearse didn't have a great chance of beating Browner at what Browner does best.

I've been as vocal as anyone killing Bevell as well as praising him at times. That in and of itself sort of sums up Bevell to me. I truly think we are better with him, but when he drops the ball he tends to drop it in spectacular fashion.

Very good post and I agree with every word. The only question I would ask is doesn't Wilson also "drops the ball" or lack "situational awareness" from time to time. What about Richards? Cable? Sherman, Thomas?

Everyone has their brain farts but how much different is Bevell's if we are not so eager to assume every other aspect of every single play is being executed to perfection?

Do you remember Jeremy Bates? Ran off Alex Gibbs before the season started and then designed every play with a 7 step drop even though not a single O-lineman on the team would ever start for another team (and hasn't to this day) while we were featuring Ruvell Martin and as a starter and Big Mick Williams became someone because there was no other way to get the ball out and no real RB? Jeremy was fired first thing after the season ended if you remember. Maybe the only coach to ever get fired by Pete. That was a guy who had no idea of situational awareness. He wasn't someone who executed a plan but sometimes screwed up.

Everyone seems to think being OC is the easiest job in the world but really, having to change your philosophy to work within a system is pretty impressive if you can have some success. Working with rookies behind a below average O-line and still having success is also somewhat impressive.

Does he make the occasional WTF play call? Sure but is there really someone who is going to walk in and never make a mistake? Even with constraints? Some here actually believe anyone would be better. Anyone!!! I'm sorry but that type of thinking is what rookie fans do. To put it politely.

I think some here need to stop thinking that Wilson is a better technician than Brady and Peyton combined and consider that maybe other outside elements could potentially effect any coordinator. Or maybe they would rather have Bates back so we can blame Wilson for not executing his brilliant game plan.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
kobebryant":24z2vgs5 said:
falcongoggles":24z2vgs5 said:
kobebryant":24z2vgs5 said:
falcongoggles":24z2vgs5 said:
Why the Seahawks went to the first half of the season offense against the Jaguars after having success blows my mind. That alone is grounds for me hating his face.

?? They put 45 on the Jaguars.

I had a good belly laugh when I realized I swapped large felines. Panthers sir, I say again, Panthers.

Not a particularly creative expansion period in the NFL was it?

Hey Paul we got another team rolling down the pipe...what do we call it?

Are there any unnamed jungle cat species left around?

Yes, yes there are!

two dog

Reaction score
Sometimes, when you are discussing a guy, especially if he's your guy, you tend to
notice the warts and overlook the good points. From the perspective of the rest of the
league, Bevell is probably not the devil he is held to be by what sounds like the majority
of people on this board.

Remember, every time your team has success, the fans of the opponent are probably
calling for their OC or DC's head. It's the nature of fans, thank goodness.

12thman.garydrake

Reaction score
Bevell definitely has his ups and down with play calling. One game im pulling my hair out and yelling for his head, then the next game is a master piece. WTF!!! Its like they take turns every week on who's calling offensive plays. Last year was probably the best ive seen him do so far but we were fighting for our lives and force to get rid of the ball quick. I say Russell calls the plays with pete and we use the money from Bevell on Bennett's new contract. Sounds good to me.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2x4z5pez said:
Just because someone wrote an article on the Internet doesn't make it true.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Darn, I'da never fingered that out! Yew is soooo smart! :lol:

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
austinslater25":12lih6v4 said:

Agree with the situational awareness angle, but that doesn't rest entirely with Bevell. The HC is the big-picture guy, and knew Browner well. I seriously doubt that matchup would have slipped past Belicheat.

naholmes

Reaction score
I believe the best of Bevell is yet to come. Would you take Adam Gase over Darrell Bevell because I wouldn't?

pehawk

Reaction score
Kearly once drew the best analogy possible for Bevell; Andy Dalton. Bevell is the Andy Dalton of OC's. That probably should've been the whole article, two words, Andy Dalton.

Oh, and thanks again for the pot roast. We should do this more often.

A

Anonymous

pehawk":2ybaaw0n said:
Kearly once drew the best analogy possible for Bevell; Andy Dalton. Bevell is the Andy Dalton of OC's. That probably should've been the whole article, two words, Andy Dalton.

Oh, and thanks again for the pot roast. We should do this more often.

Red-headed step child from Katy, Texas?

I don't get it... :mrgreen:

NINEster

Reaction score
Trust me, Bevell is to Wilson what Shula is to Cameron, and what early Roman was for Kap.

NINEster

Reaction score
BTW, Redskin fans had no issue at all admitting that RG3's rookie year was a product of the Shannahan's more than Griffin himself.

The guy was a higher pick than all QBs mentioned except Newton....way higher than Wilson or Kap.

People like to think that QBs just magically walk into the league and kick ass all by themselves.

Most, just cannot do it. OC and team play a huge role.

Ozzy

Reaction score
NINEster":30dxxcjf said:
Trust me, Bevell is to Wilson what Shula is to Cameron, and what early Roman was for Kap.
So Wilson sucks without Bevell? I hope you're kidding. Wilson would be Wilson with anyone. I know as a niner fan that's hard to accept but it's true. This isn't coming from a niner/Kap hater either.

I think both sides tend to be a little too extreme. The Andy Dalton analogy is actually pretty spot on. I don't think Bevell is viewed as an elite OC league wide but he isn't seen as terrible either.... He's basically Andy Dalton. You're not pining for him but if you have him you keep him.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":fbsa5agh said:
I know our offensive coordinator is a divisive topic around here, but he gets a little love from ESPNs Matt Bowen.

Bowen did an article (unfortunately, it's on Insider so I can't link it) listing his top-five most creative offensive coordinators in the NFL. If you have ESPN Insider, check it out - its a good read.

His 5: Josh McDaniels (Patriots), Mike Shula (Panthers), Sean Payton (Saints), Bruce Arians (Cardinals)

....and our very own Darrell Bevell.

He compliments Bevell primarily for designing a scheme around the unique skill set of Russell Wilson.

Thoughts?

He waited way too long to do it.

And I'm not sure I expect to see that creative scheme once the season starts. Pete is about as eager to give up the run-first mentality as...well, something unlikely.