Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry guys. Not my best post. A little too much celebration last night.

Still...

Largent80

Reaction score
He appears to be a scapegoat for a win. Hmmmmm....Running the ball and playing defense is what happens in the playoffs and we did just that.

chris98251

Reaction score
Pete or Bevell or both do not trust the offense to win a game, they trust the Defense. Wilson is playing not to lose instead of playing to win, no slants or crossing routes where a bad read can lead to a over throw or a missed target in a timing route and a turnover. Almost all our passes are sideline jump balls or real deep routes where we screen out the defender and limit any chance of a pick. TE's bread and butter are seam routes and slants, again we don't call them because of the above.

Just look at our Kick off team as an example, we put Turbin back there for security rather then trying to get a good return yardage guy.

I think were doing the same on offense, playing it so close to the vest that we have now started to handicap the offense rather then use the tools we have. Blame I think it has to be on Pete a lot, but Bevell is either a wet noodle or spineless as not to let his offense be allowed to actually play to their potential and lobbie hard with Pete to allow him to use the middle of the field rather then just the sidelines in the passing games.

Also possible we see the sweep strech plays to Lynch to open up the defense so they don't just stack up inside since we don't do anything else out on the edge with a speed back.

djb28

Reaction score
On the bright side. He is do for a well called game. I mean, Mediocre.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
I'll give him a pass because of the weather.

There's nothing you can do when Poseidon is in attendance.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
So when Bevell loses us a game based on his pop warner offensive game plan, will all of you "Bevell Buddies" say it is because our guys couldn't perform a simple offensive gameplan against complex defenses? I'm sorry but if you know what is coming you can stop it. We don't have a draw or a screen play in our playbook. Why can't we complete a slant pattern? because it is the only play we run on third and short.

What is the purpose of an empty backfield on a 3rd and short? How could it possibly help our offense by taking the possibility of a run out of the equation?

Some of you are saying we want the defense on the field. Are you frickin kidding me? You want your offense on the field to score points so you can win the game.

andyh64000

Reaction score
OK...first I am NOT a Bevell fan but I don't think criticism of yesterday is completely fair.

The wind was so bad that any throws beyond 15 yards was extremely difficult and the run was pretty effective. And if not for that holding call on the long Turbin run up 16-0 I really believe we would have won by a larger margin than the Monday Night Game. Couple that with the fact that our defense was absolutely dominating with a 2+ score lead (I know if was just two but it would take 2 tds and 2 2 pointers to catch us) and the gameplan was obviously as long as we are up by 16 points just play as conservative as possible...punting is winning. When they got within 8 it was late in the 4th quarter.
Did anyone think the game was ever in doubt after we went up 16-0 (to the point that you were nervous)? I think the gameplan worked.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Why is it so outlandish for fans to not be satisfied with the #26 passing offense in the league? Is there anyone here that wouldn't like to see that improve?

nanomoz

Reaction score
storm74":25lr04ag said:
What is the purpose of an empty backfield on a 3rd and short? How could it possibly help our offense by taking the possibility of a run out of the equation?

Some of you are saying we want the defense on the field. Are you frickin kidding me? You want your offense on the field to score points so you can win the game.

That is what really makes me nuts, the empty backfield stuff on short yardage downs.

Largent80

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":2ozkhfet said:
Why is it so outlandish for fans to not be satisfied with the #26 passing offense in the league? Is there anyone here that wouldn't like to see that improve?

We all want improvement, but this team is built to run and you know it Matt.....Crap. I REMEMBERED YOUR NAME. Drat.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Just need to execute, for all the Bevell hate, I agree with the plays called most of the time. If Tate catches a couple of drops or we connect on one long bomb in the 3rd we aren't talking much about Bevell IMO.

I do hope Pete/Bevell don't fall into the too conservative trap though. Teams going to have to win straight up and play looser than the last game to win it.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":8mmyylan said:

Yes. People on here seem to have a hard time separating garden variety hate and discontent with legitimate concern about an import phase of the game.

At some point, we are going to need the passing game to help. It could be against the 49ers, or it could be in the Super Bowl against two high powered offenses.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me, based on the strength of the Saints defense and the weather, why we would want to pass more?

Ifwe could win witbout throwing a pass - I would take that as an ultimate victory.

Pete Carroll agrees with that.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":kvdwuu5i said:

Carolina and SF had the #29 and #30 passing offenses in the league. Do we refuse to recognize that these three teams play a certain style and are perfectly content to be at the very bottom of the league in overall passing yards? We're talking about the three best teams in the NFC here.

I understand discussing the offense, but most of the people complaining make utterly no attempt to contextualize the numbers by taking into account philosophy, weather, opposing defenses, game-situations, etc.

Largent80

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":2ju519w2 said:
Can someone explain to me, based on the strength of the Saints defense and the weather, why we would want to pass more?

Ifwe could win witbout throwing a pass - I would take that as an ultimate victory.

Pete Carroll agrees with that.

The voice of wisdom. We did EXACTLY what we should have, and executed it to perfection. Run, and play defense = Championship.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Blitzer88":34a9z2pm said:
FlyingGreg":34a9z2pm said:
We aren't saving anything. Our offense is pedestrian, predictable and dull.

No flex, no creativity and no life. It's "I hope our defense wins the game for us and we don't have to get daring to win".

When your QB is struggling to reach 100 yards passing far too often, you have a problem.

Gotta agree with you Greg. This offense has no life and relies to much on marshawn to bail us out with a big run.
I'm agreeing with Greg as well.

Largent80

Reaction score
Yeah, we wouldn't want Marshawn to "bail us out" especially when we are built to run first.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
i understand how the team was built, but it's causing us to become one dimensional.

I would just like to be able to convert on a few more third downs, and I think our poorly designed passing game is hurting that. We can't get away with it like we could earlier in the year against worse defenses. Our poor passing game gives me a great deal of concern going into the NFC championship, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.