Bevell talks about THE play

Marlin Man

Reaction score
I knew it was Bevel the second it happened.

It is a shame we will have to have a losing season before we can get rid of this guy, certainly he will never be promoted ANYWHERE

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
It's very disappointing that Bevell is still unable or unwilling to acknowledge it was a poor play call and that in hindsight he should have called a fade or a read option or a screen pass or anything besides throwing the ball into the middle of the field within a couple of yards of the entire NE defense.

If Bevell is unable to acknowledge and learn from his mistakes, it makes me question his maturity.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Even Carroll, who defended the hell out of his assistant coach's play call, would not say whether he would call the same play in that situation.

We should be having a competition at play caller this preseason. What about Carl Smith or even one of Carroll's sons . . . anyone who can show a commitment to present game circumstances, i.e. reality.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Wilson a run to the outside was the playcall based on the defensive personnel. I don't mind a pass but like someone above stated it was the players used in the call. Lockette really? Counting on Kearse to beat Browner at the line of scrimmage when he's possibly the best in the league in that type of environment? That's the baffling part. I wish Bevell would own it as well. It was stupid. I know that pisses some people off but it was. Whatever ready for this season and to put it behind us.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Beating a dead horse. Can't change the past. Only way for Bevell to make up for it is to win another Super Bowl.

athanas

Reaction score
blue 22":2s9py90t said:
"I wouldnt change it"

Cool story bevell.

If that is his mindset, then I have no problem not reading the article.
It's a story as old as time: you dance with the one that brung ya'. This team is built around running the rock and forcing defenses to stop that. At the biggest moment in franchise history, for an undeniable spot in the list of greatest teams in the history of the sport, this jamoke climbs too far up his own arse in an attempt to show the world his play calling prowess, (wasn't there a quote floating around after the game that before the Owl, an opposing GM said the Hawks would win if Bevell didn't try to become a guru?,) and pumps the dog in front of the world.
Not interested in his explanation, especially when everyone but him owned it after it happened.

blue 22

Reaction score
Hopefully the decision to keep bevell doesn't come back to haunt Pete. I have a bad feeling it will. Hope I am wrong!

RussB

Reaction score
Still no reason to pass it. He was trying to be to sneaky and it backfired. He could have ran a QB sneak or a even a fullback run wich will most likely have been a TD not to mention you have 2 more tries. PLus you have marshawn.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
The exact same play with Ricardo got us a first down late in the NFC championship game. I picked that up after re watching it this summer. New England had it well scouted and knew exactly what was coming. As much as I hate to admit it, New England should get more credit, than Bevell should get blame.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
2Cool4School":3rsvey9s said:
Still no reason to pass it. He was trying to be to sneaky and it backfired. He could have ran a QB sneak or a even a fullback run wich will most likely have been a TD not to mention you have 3 more tries. PLus you have marshawn.

3 more tries?

hawk45

Reaction score
The QB interviewed by King had a big problem with Bevell counting on Kearse getting through Browner to pick Butler. Yeah no kidding. The article questions calling a slant there, and that we obviously agree with, but they go on to say the fade is the only other pass option.

So I guess they haven't ever watched Russell Wilson play football. How getting Wilson on the outside with a run-pass threat, and the ability to throw it away, isn't the *only* pass option just boggles me.

Maybe Bevell isn't so stupid compared to the rest of the league if King can find QBs and coaches at the NFL level that don't see this. Martians listening to the radio signals that finally reach them will be snickering at calling a slant.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
From the article, thanks for the link, btw. Good read.

You didn’t call a Lynch run because they had their jumbo group in on defense, right?
“Matchups had something to do with it, yes.”
Great play by Butler, or could your guys have done more to get to the ball?
“Yes, it was a great play.”
How did it feel to be such a punching bag nationally?
“I worry about my family, my girls, my wife, I worry about those people more than I do myself. I understand what comes with the job we do and they [the family] understand what comes with it. That doesn’t make it any easier, but once I knew all the stuff around it, why we did it and everything that happened, I was able to move on with it.”
Has your life been changed by this?
“That’s a pretty deep question. I know that what we do affects people in their lives for sure. It brings a lot of happiness, and it brings disappointment. In a small way I think it does have an effect on people’s lives. It’s not some huge thing, but our sport is the most successful sport so I think there are people who live and die by it.”
Are you over it yet?
“It’s never going to leave you. I can think back to when I was playing quarterback and there are plays that still eat me in my gut from when I was playing. The ones that usually eat you are the bad plays, not the Big Ten Championships. It’s those other plays that you think back to that eat you in the gut.
“That play we called will always be there to drive me. I wouldn’t change it, I think it was the right thing. Coach Carroll has done a great job with it as well. I think to answer your question, in terms of totally moving on, that night is rough, the next morning is rough, getting on the plane is rough, but as soon as I got here and I was able to watch it for myself on the tape and see our copy and look at it that way and do the analyzing of it, once that was over I was able to put it behind me. I’m okay. I really am.”

Just looked at a replay on youtube. Pats would've had 20 secs and three timeouts....do they come down the field and tie it up with a FG? The way Uggs was slicing and dicing us up, I have to say they would have. Not to mention one of the best FG kickers in the game. But then again, Tarvaris is undefeated in coin tosses. :34853_doh:

Greenhell

Reaction score
The only way to erase the epic fail of XLIX is for the Hawks to win Superb Owl 50.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
People forget we already gave the ball to Marshawn on first down and he couldn't get in. NE had their GL package in there. If he got stuffed again on second down, we would've only had time to run one more play instead of two. We had to pass to get three plays off with the clock running out. What seems so obvious is actually not so obvious when you do the math. Here's what one of the coaches/qbs said in the article (great article!):

"Interestingly, not a single one supported running a power rush by Lynch against the New England front with three 300-pound-plus defensive tackles filling the gaps. One quarterback said, “Then it would have been third-and-goal from the 2 or 3, and you’d burn your last timeout. So you’d be there with what, how many seconds left? [About 20.] And you’d probably be farther away than you were on second down.""

hawknation2015

Reaction score
LymonHawk":29biwpbh said:
2Cool4School":29biwpbh said:
Still no reason to pass it. He was trying to be to sneaky and it backfired. He could have ran a QB sneak or a even a fullback run wich will most likely have been a TD not to mention you have 3 more tries. PLus you have marshawn.

3 more tries?

He probably meant three tries total:

2nd down - Marshawn Lynch run
Touchdown ~80% of the time
or
Use the timeout ~19.5% of the time (less than 0.5% chance of a Marshawn fumble)
3rd down - Play action, throw a fade up to Kearse, Matthews (the hot hand), or a TE
Touchdown ~60% of the time
or
Incompletion stops the clock ~38% of the time (2% chance of a Wilson INT)
4th down - Marshawn Lynch run
Touchdown ~80% of the time
or
Lose the game ~20% of the time

These are rough approximations based on the team's relative strength in power-running situations, the Patriots' weakness in that area, and Wilson/Marshawn's relative turnover ratios. There is also the possibility of a sack on the 3rd down play action (~9%), which would necessitate running to the line to get off one last play and would reduce the probability for success on the subsequent play. If we assume these very rough approximations are accurate, which they are not, then the total probability of scoring a TD on three tries from the one-yard line was 98.4%.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Greenhell":2u971tb1 said:
The only way to erase the epic fail of XLIX is for the Hawks to win Superb Owl 50.

The problem with that scenario is the inevitable "shoulda been a three-peat"

Oh well, Ill take the SB win!

LymonHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":kwwktav8 said:
LymonHawk":kwwktav8 said:
2Cool4School":kwwktav8 said:

3 more tries?

He probably meant three tries total:

He probably should have stayed in school.

RussB

Reaction score
LymonHawk":yynpngtn said:
2Cool4School":yynpngtn said:

3 more tries?
No lol i corrected it it was two more tries since if they had failed to score on third down they would try again on 4th and goal.