Bevell talks about THE play

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1p00c8io said:
Did Marshawn tell you specifically that Bev was the intended target of that message or did you hear that in a dream? Just easily could've been intended for a teammate talking smack to him on the sidelines ... or Taco
Yeah, and Tom Brady just may not have noticed overly deflated footballs for years, and O.J. just may not have noticed cops chasing him on the freeway a couple decades ago.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":2fivw2ch said:
hawknation2015":2fivw2ch said:
LymonHawk":2fivw2ch said:
2Cool4School":2fivw2ch said:
Still no reason to pass it. He was trying to be to sneaky and it backfired. He could have ran a QB sneak or a even a fullback run wich will most likely have been a TD not to mention you have 3 more tries. PLus you have marshawn.

3 more tries?

He probably meant three tries total:

2nd down - Marshawn Lynch run
Touchdown ~80% of the time
or
Use the timeout ~19.5% of the time (less than 0.5% chance of a Marshawn fumble)
3rd down - Play action, throw a fade up to Kearse, Matthews (the hot hand), or a TE
Touchdown ~60% of the time
or
Incompletion stops the clock ~38% of the time (2% chance of a Wilson INT)
4th down - Marshawn Lynch run
Touchdown ~80% of the time
or
Lose the game ~20% of the time

These are rough approximations based on the team's relative strength in power-running situations, the Patriots' weakness in that area, and Wilson/Marshawn's relative turnover ratios. There is also the possibility of a sack on the 3rd down play action (~9%), which would necessitate running to the line to get off one last play and would reduce the probability for success on the subsequent play. If we assume these very rough approximations are accurate, which they are not, then the total probability of scoring a TD on three tries from the one-yard line was 98.4%.
They gave Marshawn the ball on first down and he got stuffed. Against the GL package on second down a run would've been more like a %15 chance
Gaining 4 yards = getting stuffed????
LMAO!

Fade

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1tkn78y2 said:
Lords of Scythia":1tkn78y2 said:
They gave Marshawn the ball on first down and he got stuffed. Against the GL package on second down a run would've been more like a %15 chance
LMAO!

Bevell Apologists are gold medalists in mental gymnastics.

It's pure comedy. I might need to update my list from an older thread. lolz

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Fade":2gu6qmn1 said:
Sports Hernia":2gu6qmn1 said:
Lords of Scythia":2gu6qmn1 said:
LMAO!

Bevell apologists? Last checked, he held a rather important position on the team I love and respect. If you don't like it, perhaps you should find another team that jibes with your so-deep insights

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1nqicj24 said:
Siouxhawk":1nqicj24 said:
Did Marshawn tell you specifically that Bev was the intended target of that message or did you hear that in a dream? Just easily could've been intended for a teammate talking smack to him on the sidelines ... or Taco
Yeah, and Tom Brady just may not have noticed overly deflated footballs for years, and O.J. just may not have noticed cops chasing him on the freeway a couple decades ago.
Way to change the subject from the direct question. You have no idea what that was about, but let's not let that get in the way of the foolproof idea that is running around in your head. Lots of Mr. Rogers land of make believe agendas running around in this thread

ivotuk

Reaction score
Bobby Wagner's point of view:

Seattle led 24-14 with 8 minutes left Super Bowl 49. Then its historic defense allowed Tom Brady to throw two touchdown passes in the 28-24 loss most will remember for Butler intercepting Russell Wilson at the goal line.

“You know, as much as everyone puts it on the offense for not running the ball at the 1-yard line, we could have stopped them and not even put the offense in that position,” Wagner said Wednesday.

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nf ... l=Seahawks#storylink=cpy

Rob12

Reaction score
erik2690":30c91nx5 said:
It's interesting that he polled 3 QB's and 2 coaches and none said run was the best call there. It's always struck me that 'just hand it off' was way less of this obvious thing then fans make it out to be. I still dislike the call, but it doesn't seem like it's an insider consensus that "run" was what needed to happen.

Fine. But there's more than one pass play. You want to throw? Fine. But honestly, what are you thinking when you call a slant over a highly congested area with the SB on the line? You never do that.

This thread sucks. Wish I would have never clicked on it. That last play is, and will always be, indefensible.

Rob12

Reaction score
Jville":11yu39hc said:
Moving on is a life skill.

There are probably some who still can't get over the Hutchinson/Viking poison pill play.

Been over that a long time.

Handing a Lombardi over... I mean quite literally handing it over is another thing altogether and always will be.

Reducing this to a player leaving is way off the mark.

Fade

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2ewxx04m said:
Bevell apologists? Last checked, he held a rather important position on the team I love and respect. If you don't like it, perhaps you should find another team that jibes with your so-deep insights
Nah, I appreciate the insight you bring it is highly entertaining. :D

LIke when I argued that Jimmy Graham was brought on board to improve the Red Zone Offense.
Bring your red-zone efficiency examples to Pete and he'd laugh in your face.
Lots of fantasy football types on this tread. Red zone accuracy doesn't mean a thing
As I said before, by arguing about red-zone efficiency, you are actually complaining about something that runs counter to the philosophy of Pete Carroll
Graham is going to be a major target in the red zone. That's why we traded for him.
Fade":2ewxx04m said:
Your words not mine. Why did "we" trade for him again? :D
You twisted yourself in knots the last time eventually arguing against yourself and agreeing with me. lolz. That's good stuff right there.
Charlie Murphy Laughing Chappelles Show Prince

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1a0xr88b said:
Fade":1a0xr88b said:
Sports Hernia":1a0xr88b said:
Lords of Scythia":1a0xr88b said:
LMAO!

When you let go of the "better fan" mentality, the heavy burden of deciding who can and can't like your team will be gone, and you will be a happier sumbish.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":wx7cw81f said:
Fade":wx7cw81f said:
Sports Hernia":wx7cw81f said:
Lords of Scythia":wx7cw81f said:
LMAO!

I have zero doubt you've been warned about the oh so tiresome playing of the 'superfan' card yet it seems you just can't help yourself. But hey, at least with this post you didn't put yourself above the original poster but instead put that person below you. Nice change of pace.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Bevell has an inflated head. Maybe they can call the Patriots to deflate it.

Bevell is ok between the 20s. Once in the redzone, his playcalling drops several notches. How many times have the Seahawks had 1st and goal but came away with only 3 points? Far too many. He tried the same play right before the half against Carolina Panthers in Carolina and the same result, it got picked off. So what does he do tries to do the same thing in SB49 with the game on the line.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
You have to know our team to understand the philosophy of the offense. As I stated, we out score our opponents in 60 minutes of play approximately 80 percent of the time. Darrell Bevell is a vital cog in helping to facilitate that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It's funny that the "super fan" comment only gets brought up when my ideas run counter to another. Take a look back at this thread and you'll find that I didn't respond to a post until my thoughts and beliefs were challenged

I want to see the Hawks succeed, as hopefully we all do, but when stories are fabricated to belittle my thoughts on how to achieve that success, I will defend my beliefs

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":zko67r9q said:
You have to know our team to understand the philosophy of the offense. As I stated, we out score our opponents in 60 minutes of play approximately 80 percent of the time. Darrell Bevell is a vital cog in helping to facilitate that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It's funny that the "super fan" comment only gets brought up when my ideas run counter to another. Take a look back at this thread and you'll find that I didn't respond to a post until my thoughts and beliefs were challenged

I want to see the Hawks succeed, as hopefully we all do, but when stories are fabricated to belittle my thoughts on how to achieve that success, I will defend my beliefs

I totally understand that it's difficult to hear one's opinions challenged or rudely dismissed by someone else - it makes a person want to lash back at that person and solidify your original position. I get that sometimes Bevell is unfairly criticized on this site, for example when a player makes a big mistake on a play-call that causes it not to work we tend to blame the play-caller rather than the player that didn't execute his assignment. But I'm positive you can find a better method of defending your thoughts and beliefs than through questioning the value of another fan's fandom when they disagree with you about the abilities of individual players or coaches on the team.

I think Bevell could improve his play-calling in certain areas of the field and during certain stages of the game and his play-call at the end of the Super Bowl was terrible given the flow and context of the game at that particular moment. Does that make me and others a "less valuable" Seahawks fan than someone else who loves Bevell as a coach? I've been a Seahawks fan for 32 years since I was a kid and only occasionally missed a game on TV, and I believe loyalty to the "laundry" (as silly as that sounds) should be a better determinant of fandom than unconditional loyalty to whatever specific player or coach happens to be with the Seahawk's organization during a particular slice of time.

There will eventually come a time (hopefully not for another decade!) when even Wilson starts to decline and fans will question whether he should still be the starting QB - but that won't make them "bad" fans.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":14odp8l6 said:

Bevell is ok between the 20s. Once in the redzone, his playcalling drops several notches. How many times have the Seahawks had 1st and goal but came away with only 3 points? Far too many. He tried the same play right before the half against Carolina Panthers in Carolina and the same result, it got picked off. So what does he do tries to do the same thing in SB49 with the game on the line.

3rd and 7 at CAR 7 :)25) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short left intended for M.Lynch INTERCEPTED by J.Norman at CAR -1. J.Norman to CAR 26 for 27 yards (L.Willson).

Although this play had the same result (Int.) it doesn't sound like the same play. Do you have a video of the play?

From everything I've read so far, the SB was the second time last year we used that play. The first time was against AZ, and was successful.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Thanks Calgary, you make some really fine points.

See, you're the type of guy I have in mind when I defend a Bevell or Cable. As a longtime Hawks fan, let's face it, you've seen more of the agonizing 4-12 seasons than you have the pinnacle of success that we are currently enjoying. If we were 3-7 going into Week 12, I'd be clamoring with dissension along with the rest of the board. But my gosh, we've been to 2 Super Bowls in a row! 2 Super Bowls man! This is not the time to gnash teeth and be picking at a well-oiled machine. Bevell runs the offense and that offense, as I said, has been outscoring opponents on a per-game basis about 80 percent of the time in the last 2 years.
I understand we live in America and questioning Obama doesn't make us un-American. It's OK to rally against the mechanisms we feel are holding us back. I'm not satisfied with the direction our country is going under Obama's watch and I can point to indicators based in fact that I could use to buttress my disdain. Are any of us really happy with the way our country is headed? Maybe there are some, but I think the polls would indicate the opposite.
The Seahawks, on the other hand, are already being bestowed the NFC West champs again by the sports talk pundits and there's good reason for that. It ain't broke. Let's worry about fixing it when it needs fixing.

That's all I'm saying.

Greenhell

Reaction score
NJSeaHawk":21iot2vx said:
Greenhell":21iot2vx said:
The only way to erase the epic fail of XLIX is for the Hawks to win Superb Owl 50.

The problem with that scenario is the inevitable "shoulda been a three-peat"

Oh well, Ill take the SB win!

The three-peat starts with winning Superb Owl 50. That would then make 48, 50, 51, and 52. DONE! :lol:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
LymonHawk":cl6ll2pn said:
hawkfan68":cl6ll2pn said:

3rd and 7 at CAR 7 :)25) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short left intended for M.Lynch INTERCEPTED by J.Norman at CAR -1. J.Norman to CAR 26 for 27 yards (L.Willson).

Although this play had the same result (Int.) it doesn't sound like the same play. Do you have a video of the play?

From everything I've read so far, the SB was the second time last year we used that play. The first time was against AZ, and was successful.

You're right. My mistake in stating it was the "same" play. I meant to say "similar" situation.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1nvlw4xs said:
LymonHawk":1nvlw4xs said:
hawkfan68":1nvlw4xs said:

You're right. My mistake in stating it was the "same" play. I meant to say "similar" situation.

We cool. :thirishdrinkers:

Latest posts