Bevell talks about THE play

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
ivotuk":pqkruxdn said:
As a coach, you never make a decision based on fear, especially if you're QB is Russell Wilson.

You make that decision based on time left on the clock, number of times the opposing team can stop that clock, and number of downs.

I hate the call, and I probably would have called Lynch's number, but as far as strategy goes, Bevell made the correct call.

It just wasn't executed properly. IMHO, there's plenty of blame to go around, it's just that like, Goodell, Bevell is the most convenient target for people to blame.

The only thing I would have changed is to give Russell Wilson the authority to audible out of that play. In the future I hope that instead of looking at "We've always been succesful on that play," look at "If you've always been successful on that play, then opposing teams are going to be practicing and planning against it and maybe you should give that look, but go somewhere else."
That sounds right. They've also should've given Russell the option to run it in.

kearly

Reaction score
I didn't love the SI article. SI has generally been apologetic over the playcall and that seemed to continue here, at least in tone.

The Jim Rome soundoff in response to it was gold:

You’d call that pass again? And Leon Lett would hold the ball out again, Chris Webber would call timeout again, and Clooney would play Batman again.

seanoob

Reaction score
How do you learn from a mistake...if you can't admit the mistake?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
No sense in admitting a mistake when a mistake wasn't made. The entire team was trying to win the game, bought into the play, a touchdown was there in that play had it been executed properly, but they reacted a hair better than us and the result is what it is. No hanging our heads in shame as we gave it our best shot.

It's silly for anyone to expect an apology, by the way, from an NFL coaching staff. That's not real-world stuff.

I thought the article was excellent and am more convinced than ever that Bevell is the right man for the job to lead our offense. The thing about our team is that we continue to grow and regroup from adversity. This will be no different. Bevell has directed this offense to 2 straight Super Bowls, not to mention exciting division titles and conference championships. Last I looked, that's a pretty amazing thing. He has the support of Pete ... and really that's all that matters. That ... and scoring more points than the opponent in 60 minutes of play ... another dimension Darrell has helped to facilitate about 80 percent of the time the last two years.

I give him my support wholeheartedly

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2ooey371 said:
No sense in admitting a mistake when a mistake wasn't made. The entire team was trying to win the game, bought into the play, a touchdown was there in that play had it been executed properly, but they reacted a hair better than us and the result is what it is. No hanging our heads in shame as we gave it our best shot.

It's silly for anyone to expect an apology, by the way, from an NFL coaching staff. That's not real-world stuff.

I thought the article was excellent and am more convinced than ever that Bevell is the right man for the job to lead our offense. The thing about our team is that we continue to grow and regroup from adversity. This will be no different. Bevell has directed this offense to 2 straight Super Bowls, not to mention exciting division titles and conference championships. Last I looked, that's a pretty amazing thing. He has the support of Pete ... and really that's all that matters. That ... and scoring more points than the opponent in 60 minutes of play ... another dimension Darrell has helped to facilitate about 80 percent of the time the last two years.

I am pretty sure you are his daughter.

Give your dad my best.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I would like to point out how egotistical it is for the guy to try and claim last year's offense was the best in hawks history. What a bunch of bullshit.

Mentioning his family as potential victims, trying to paint the picture that critics are ignoring the "best" offensive season in Hawks history...

MarshawnLynch

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":cjva1t8d said:
Siouxhawk":cjva1t8d said:

I am pretty sure you are his daughter.

Give your dad my best.
Not at all. I just know that Darrell puts in the time, has a track record of success and is tuned into our personnel to optimize our chance to advance deep into the playoffs. You were a bit off on my family history, but I do believe we are both brothers in cheering for Hawk success

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawknation2015":7dv0d1bq said:
If it were just one play, I would be more understanding of his plea for sympathy. But the abandoning of our greatest weapon was a continual theme of the season. Remember six carries for Marshawn against SD? Consecutive passes on first and second down. Multiple Percy Harvin bubble screens and stretch plays. 10 carries against the Cowboys? Once again, not giving Marshawn the ball in the red zone. There is only so much blame you can place on Harvin, whom Bevell coached with the Vikings. Remember Bevell saying we would be using a "running back by committee" before the season began? He needs to take some damn responsibility and admit his own errors as a play caller.

"Even though we had that play, last year was the most successful offense in the history of the Seahawks."

We averaged 24.6 points per game and were 20th in the league in red zone TD-scoring percentage, despite having two great red zone weapons in Marshawn Lynch and Russell Wilson. In 2005, we were 2nd in the league in red zone scoring and averaged 28.3 points per game. :34853_doh:
Bevell later clarified the RB by committe comment. He said he was referring to pre-season.

hawk45

Reaction score
They reacted a hair better than us because Bevell was predictable running that play from that formation and Bevell decisively lost the coaching battle to New England's coaching and preparation.

JMO, I'm not going to insist everyone share that opinion. Pete obviously doesn't, so at this point I blame him for subjecting us to Bevell more than I blame Bevell for being what he is.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":mk70yyf1 said:
hawknation2015":mk70yyf1 said:
If it were just one play, I would be more understanding of his plea for sympathy. But the abandoning of our greatest weapon was a continual theme of the season. Remember six carries for Marshawn against SD? Consecutive passes on first and second down. Multiple Percy Harvin bubble screens and stretch plays. 10 carries against the Cowboys? Once again, not giving Marshawn the ball in the red zone. There is only so much blame you can place on Harvin, whom Bevell coached with the Vikings. Remember Bevell saying we would be using a "running back by committee" before the season began? He needs to take some damn responsibility and admit his own errors as a play caller.

"Even though we had that play, last year was the most successful offense in the history of the Seahawks."

We averaged 24.6 points per game and were 20th in the league in red zone TD-scoring percentage, despite having two great red zone weapons in Marshawn Lynch and Russell Wilson. In 2005, we were 2nd in the league in red zone scoring and averaged 28.3 points per game. :34853_doh:
Bevell later clarified the RB by committe comment. He said he was referring to pre-season.

And if you were there and heard his comment, you would know immediately that it was a B.S. excuse that Carroll probably required him to say to cover his tracks.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3njwksrs said:
HawKnPeppa":3njwksrs said:
hawknation2015":3njwksrs said:

And if you were there and heard his comment, you would know immediately that it was a B.S. excuse that Carroll probably required him to say to cover his tracks.
I'll leave the mind reading to you.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":usgx83mg said:
HawKnPeppa":usgx83mg said:
hawknation2015":usgx83mg said:

We really should stick to specifics instead of trying to rationalize something with a complete fabrication.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1ghczap6 said:
I would like to point out how egotistical it is for the guy to try and claim last year's offense was the best in hawks history. What a bunch of bullshit.

Mentioning his family as potential victims, trying to paint the picture that critics are ignoring the "best" offensive season in Hawks history...

MarshawnLynch
If we didn't have Marshawn and RW, Bevell's offense would be exposed in a hurry. It insults the ability and intelligence of our players.

blue 22

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see marshawn go Latrell spreewell on bevell this year.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
blue 22":2073w5qe said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see marshawn go Latrell spreewell on bevell this year.
I would. That would be atypical of Marshawns behavior. Bevell is his coach and from what I have seen, Marshawn respects his coaches

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2c2dmj1j said:
blue 22":2c2dmj1j said:
I would. That would be atypical of Marshawns behavior. Bevell is his coach and from what I have seen, Marshawn respects his coaches
Well, Marshawn did flip Bevell the bird during a game from the middle of the field...

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":12psmcsc said:
hawknation2015":12psmcsc said:
HawKnPeppa":12psmcsc said:
hawknation2015":12psmcsc said:

We really should stick to specifics instead of trying to rationalize something with a complete fabrication.

He was specifically asked about how many carries Christine Michael would get that year.

Finally found the video (around 47 min):
http://www.seahawks.com/video/2014/06/0 ... -town-hall

Question: "This question is for Darrell. I was just wondering who are you most excited about on the offense. For me, Christine Michael I think has the most upside this year. I'm wondering how many carries he's going to get. And if it's not him, who is it?"

Bevell's answer: "That's a good question; for you, Christine Michael's a good one. We are going to be a running back by committee. But we need to see what's going on with Marshawn. Obviously, he hasn't been here for the OTAs, but we fully expect him to be ready to go. But we really, really like what Christine Michael's doing right now, as I said earlier. The quickness, the speed, the physicality that he has shown. But really, even more than the physical stuff, is how he's really paying attention to the details. He's starting to do a nice job focusing on his footwork, focusing on his protections. But I think could be some really, some sleepers [goes on to talk about other players] . . . ."

Ask yourself, why he would be referring to practice when 1) the question was about how many carries Michael would get during the year and 2) all the running backs always get carries in practice?

One of the most ridiculously contrived backtracks ever:
“I was thinking more out here. We’re kind of rolling all those guys. Really like what we’re seeing from them and just kind of moving them around,” Bevell said, via the team’s website. “That’s not our policy. It’s not something we talk about or do that way. So it’s just something I threw out there and really was thinking about the OTAs.”

O-rly001.jpg

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2j8v49db said:
Siouxhawk":2j8v49db said:
blue 22":2j8v49db said:
Well, Marshawn did flip Bevell the bird during a game from the middle of the field...
Did Marshawn tell you specifically that Bev was the intended target of that message or did you hear that in a dream? Just easily could've been intended for a teammate talking smack to him on the sidelines ... or Taco

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2fcohwc4 said:
RolandDeschain":2fcohwc4 said:
Siouxhawk":2fcohwc4 said:
blue 22":2fcohwc4 said:
Did Marshawn tell you specifically that Bev was the intended target of that message or did you hear that in a dream? Just easily could've been intended for a teammate talking smack to him on the sidelines ... or Taco

That was my impression. That Marshawn was angry because he scored a TD that was overturned on review and then Bevell decides to call a play action pass on 3rd down, inches away from the end zone. I think he felt like he had been robbed of a TD and was not getting that opportunity to pound it in. His anger at the overturned TD was compounded by the decision to now throw the ball. It's probably something he regrets.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mrloganrhoades/ ... .axN0Obg2R

Fade

Reaction score
Ignore Siouxhawk. ;)

Darrell Bevell is a good OC until he gets in the Red Zone. They got Jimmy Graham now, and Chris Matthews should be healthy by week 1. That should be enough to overcome his handicap.

Seattle was only 1-4 in the Red Zone last week, but I'm not going to over react to preseason game 1. The 1st Half of Preseason game 3 will be the game to watch of course.

Latest posts