Bobby Wagner

onepicknick1

Reaction score
Do you think age is catching up to him? Watching two games now and I don't know this but it seems like his coverage of a pass play that is the weakest but I did see one play where he actually defended it, Sometimes it seems as though he's loss. I guess what I'm trying to do is when a receiver is open who's responsible for picking him up might not even been Wagners man the game is a little more complexed then I can figure out, I guess that's why I'm asking.

Adam's reminds me of the LOB not in his hits but rather how deliberate he is he doesn't hesitate he doesn't wait for the ball 5yds down the field he just attacks.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Of course age is catching up to him. Its kind of why they drafted Brooks.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I think you would be hard pressed to find a fan that doesn't admit he has lost a step in terms of speed. He doesn't flash that quickness like he used to but that's to be expected for someone who has played so dominant at that position for that amount of years in the league. He still leads the league in tackles, he's still instinctive and the leader of the defense, but due to age he's slowing down, absolutely.

He's still one of the best LBs in the game and capable of wrecking a game (he felt slighted by comments about him leading up to that 9ers game and he played like a man possessed). But is he on the decline? For sure.

Father Time remains undefeated.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I remember the poster who went off on me for saying that he is
past his prime..The truth hurts but it happens to the best and as
Aros said "Father time remains undefeated".

sutz

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1pe471vo said:
Saying he has "lost a step" is a lot more than saying he is "past his prime." Maybe past his peak, but I'm not convinced of that either. Many players play a long time and their game smarts and experience often make up for that lost step for many years. Peak physical capability probably passes in the mid twenties for most of us. Peak playing capability is often a bit later than that.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
sutz":2uzxpz7y said:
IndyHawk":2uzxpz7y said:
Saying he has "lost a step" is a lot more than saying he is "past his prime." Maybe past his peak, but I'm not convinced of that either. Many players play a long time and their game smarts and experience often make up for that lost step for many years. Peak physical capability probably passes in the mid twenties for most of us. Peak playing capability is often a bit later than that.
Agreed. IN his prime...still one of the best in the game. His head will keep him a "great" linebacker for a long time...longer than most.

Even though he may have lost a step...he's still faster than most linebackers (MLB's) in the league. But he's just so good at being in the right place to make a play.

I hate to even talk about our linebackers in coverage, as much as we trot out that soft zone crap. It's not a fair assessment of his skills.

sutz

Reaction score
Blinding speed is most useful in making up for errors up front. Smart players make fewer errors in their assignments and thus don't need the blinding speed.

:229031_shrug:

rcaido

Reaction score
Bobby is still elite that's why we need to trade him before the inevitable drop off.

i think next season we are going to do a makeover on defense. There will be no Bobby & KJ. Griffin will probably not be signed either. Diggs & Dumbar will probably be gone too. Hopefully a new DC.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
rcaido":xdzym7u1 said:
Bobby is still elite that's why we need to trade him before the inevitable drop off.

i think next season we are going to do a makeover on defense. There will be no Bobby & KJ. Griffin will probably not be signed either. Diggs & Dumbar will probably be gone too. Hopefully a new DC.

:34853_doh: :rumble:

chris98251

Reaction score
Bobby had elite speed when he came here, now he has maybe average or good, but he is a lot smarter also.

With our interior issues Bobby also was dealing with Lineman more then shedding TE'S and RB'S,FB'S, blocking more for runners also. That can make a person look slower since he is disengaging a lot more with bigger men.

W

Welshers

Great idea, let's get rid of the league leader in tackles who is a future hall of gamer and emotional leader of our D. Yeah no. Really hope he retires here

rcaido

Reaction score
Didn't we draft Brooks to replace Wagner? I mean they look & play almost exactly the same.

Bobby cap hit will be 18million next year & the following year will be 21million. He is still elite & value is still high. I dont think we will resign him in 2years, so why not trade him after the season or next? If we never got Adams, i get that we would not ever even think of trading Wagner....

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I think Bobby will recognize when he is no longer competitive at the highest level and will make his own decision to hang up his cleats, like Doug did. It is my hope he is one of the few who manages to play his entire career for one team.

iigakusei

Reaction score
rcaido":33ng4sqi said:
Didn't we draft Brooks to replace Wagner? I mean they look & play almost exactly the same.

Bobby cap hit will be 18million next year & the following year will be 21million. He is still elite & value is still high. I dont think we will resign him in 2years, so why not trade him after the season or next? If we never got Adams, i get that we would not ever even think of trading Wagner....
Honestly you would be lucky to get a 4th round pick for Bobby.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Still a very good player, and Bobby's obviously a team leader.

But yes, the Hawks are going to have to seriously consider whether he's worth the 17M cap hit next year. My guess is he plays one more year, as there'd be a 7.5M dead cap hit in 2021.

More than likely he plays one more year, then he's cut in 2021 off season. Ain't no way we're paying him 20M in 2022.

RCATES

Reaction score
He's a shell of his former self and has become a liability in coverage. I cringed when Seattle gave him his recent big contract.

W

Welshers

RCATES":1wo1ahv0 said:
He's a shell of his former self and has become a liability in coverage. I cringed when Seattle gave him his recent big contract.
The league leader in tackles is a shell of his former self? He's also the #1 rated PFF linebacker for what it's worth

Nunya

Reaction score
RCATES":2r6grv32 said:

If that's the case, he must have been Superman. For a guy that is a "shell of his former self", he still does quite well.

RCATES

Reaction score
Welshers":3ta8cyy4 said:
RCATES":3ta8cyy4 said:
The league leader in tackles is a shell of his former self? He's also the #1 rated PFF linebacker for what it's worth

With the amount of time this Defense has been on the field this year I'm not surprised he leads the league in Tackles. Bobby is still good. No one is saying he isn't.

Latest posts