Bobby Wagner

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bobby is still playing at a high level, but teams are exposing his lost step or two in pass coverage.

Logan Thomas had a career day yesterday getting matched up on Wagner in zone coverage, and that's with a bad QB like Haskins playing.

I shutter to think what teams like the Rams, Saints, Bucs and Packers are going to scheme to expose Bobby and KJ in coverage on their TE's in the playoffs.

He was a step behind Thomas in just about every route and catch.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I never played LB but my understanding of their priority list is #1) fill gaps against the run, #2 drop back to cover cross route receivers, #3) read the ply/follow the ball and slide outside to help on the edge.
I see Bobby downfield in coverage too often. He can't matchup with most receivers that far from the LOS. I think he is asked to do too much.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Brooks played most of his collegiate career as an OLB, I see him more as a replacement for Wright. As an MLB he looked quite underwhelming in college.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Wags is going to have to restructure next season or he is going to be let go. He has been a warrior for us but watching Wagner this season reminds me a lot of Urlacher's last season(s). Two warriors seeing the inevitable decline from years of All Pro service.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Aros":2yojb3cf said:
Wags is going to have to restructure next season or he is going to be let go. He has been a warrior for us but watching Wagner this season reminds me a lot of Urlacher's last season(s). Two warriors seeing the inevitable decline from years of All Pro service.

This would be the toughest cut of Pete and John's entire tenure here.

I think Wagner plays one more year, or yes restructures. There a 7.5M cap hit next year, that's a lot to absorb when the cap numbers going down.

Even a one year fully guaranteed type of restructure would be difficult with a reduced cap.

Either way, I don't envy Pete and John next off season with Bobby. He can still play, but he's NOWHERE near the 17M and 21M cap hit type of player he's set to be paid.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Precisely and in order to resign Dunlap, Adams and others, it has to be done. It's going to be a sad day when Wags is forced to either retire or move on from this organization.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Aros":2uigh2u2 said:
I think you would be hard pressed to find a fan that doesn't admit he has lost a step in terms of speed. He doesn't flash that quickness like he used to but that's to be expected for someone who has played so dominant at that position for that amount of years in the league. He still leads the league in tackles, he's still instinctive and the leader of the defense, but due to age he's slowing down, absolutely.

He's still one of the best LBs in the game and capable of wrecking a game (he felt slighted by comments about him leading up to that 9ers game and he played like a man possessed). But is he on the decline? For sure.

Father Time remains undefeated.

Bobby Wagner even after having lost a step is still a premier MLB and leader of the defense. They HAVE to continue
getting faster.

Latest posts