Boy Andrew Luck sure is overrated

LotsOfLuck

Reaction score
Luck's first two seasons: 27 INTs in 1197 attempts. One INT every 44.33 attempts.
Wilson's first two seasons: 19 INTs in 800 attempts. One INT every 42.11 attempts.

Thank God for the AFC South. I'd hate to see what would happen if Luck had to win games against teams like Seahawks, Broncos, 49ers, and Packers.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
LotsOfLuck":28blfqby said:
Luck's first two seasons: 27 INTs in 1197 attempts. One INT every 44.33 attempts.
Wilson's first two seasons: 19 INTs in 800 attempts. One INT every 42.11 attempts.

Thank God for the AFC South. I'd hate to see what would happen if Luck had to win games against teams like Seahawks, Broncos, 49ers, and Packers.

So the difference is 2 attempts? Luck is better doesn't mean you have to love Wilson less.

LotsOfLuck

Reaction score
The point was that for all the football savants in this thread talking about how Luck throws so many interceptions, Wilson throws about the same amount over their first two full seasons when you factor the number of attempts. I'm sure there will be some more excuses here as to why Luck is no good and just a media golden boy but I thought I'd shoot that one down in my spare time.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1kx0wrto said:
Leads the league in yards and TD throws. Only 4 interceptions this year. All this with a sieve of a defense and no running game.

Such a bum. :sarcasm_on:

(And no this isn't meant to hate on Russell Wilson, just the people that constantly try to tear Andrew Luck down for.. god knows whatever reason)

Best young QB I've seen in a long time and leadership aside (?) I think Mariota will be as good. But yes, Luck is an absolute beast in every facet and there was actually some debating whether or not he should go #1. WTH?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Ugly pick-6 throw. I've seen him make that mistake before, never seen Wilson do it. 21-3 Steelers over Colts. Just where he wants 'em...

HawkWow

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1gqd442b said:
-The Glove-":1gqd442b said:
Nice pick 6

Luck the redeemer will bring the Andynapolis Colts back into this. Enter three quarters of phantom PI's.

LMAO. That's one I've not heard before and if yours, props to ya'.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":1m9smowi said:
SomersetHawk":1m9smowi said:
-The Glove-":1m9smowi said:
Nice pick 6

Luck the redeemer will bring the Andynapolis Colts back into this. Enter three quarters of phantom PI's.

LMAO. That's one I've not heard before and if yours, props to ya'.

It is indeed my own, at least, I've not seen it elsewhere.

Stealers' looking like they might actually get this done.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Colts injuries on defense hurting them a lot as for them to come back..After that Det game I don't count them out just yet..

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Indy is an annual lock for the playoffs. Luck is a slinger going against Houston, Jax, and Tennessee. Not a bad bet.

And, IMO, he is an annual lock to exit the playoffs early, unless Indy can get the HF advantage.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Popeyejones":4bchzsac said:
SonicHawk":4bchzsac said:
Let's do a test.

You're starting a team. You have a decent RB, a few good WRs, an average O-line and an average defense (you're going to have to score some points to win, but not like 40).

Who do you draft out of current NFL QBs. Only this year.

Manning over Luck?
Wilson over Luck?
Rivers over Luck?
Brees over Luck?
Rodgers over Luck?
Ryan over Luck?

I put Luck on the level of Tony Romo. He's a good QB, Luck is a bit more mobile, but they are both going to throw INTs and TDs. They both need a RB to have a good to great year to win anything more than 10 games and they aren't winning many playoff games.

Tony Romo has a better passer rating in the playoffs than Luck. Luck has 8 INT and 6 passing TDs in the playoffs.

Nothing about Luck is elite. He's a good NFL QB.

If I'm starting a team Manning and Brees are both 35 years old +, so I'm not starting with them. I think Matt Ryan, although good, is too much of a product of his really, really good receivers. I also think we already know what he is, whereas Luck and Wilson both still have more room to develop. So Ryan is out the conversation too for me.

With the team you've described I take Rodgers without hesitation. If I can't have Rodgers it gets close. He has no holes in his game, and makes mediocre and one-dimensional WRs look like pro-bowlers.

Let's say I can't have Rodgers, though. With an average team, really thinking about and how important the decision is, I think I'm risk averse and take Luck. Not because I'm absolutely convinced Luck is better (as I've already said, I still prefer Wilson a little bit), but because I'd be risk averse and I already know that Luck 1) can perform in a variety of offensive schemes and 2) can be effective with a mediocre team.

That very well might come back to bite me, but the bites not going to be too hard b/c Luck isn't a slouch. It's a hard decision, though. If instead I've got a good team already in place, it's a very easy decision for me to take Wilson. I don't need to be as risk averse and that's a much easier decision, and a gamble I definitely think is worth taking.
If you're choosing a guy based on his ability to play in different schemes, Wilson should be that guy. He went from NC State to Wisconsin to Seattle in three straight years and performed very well in all three situations.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
The point is that Luck throws an INT every 44 passes AGAINST CRAP DEFENSES. Wilson throws and INT every 42 passes against ELITE defenses.

Someone posted Luck vs Wilson against common opponents and it wasn't even close. Luck looked like crap and Wilson shined. I'd dig it up, but what's the point? Luck Believers have ALL seen it and just block it from their minds.

LotsOfLuck

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3cgmqm3a said:
The point is that Luck throws an INT every 44 passes AGAINST CRAP DEFENSES. Wilson throws and INT every 42 passes against ELITE defenses.

Someone posted Luck vs Wilson against common opponents and it wasn't even close. Luck looked like crap and Wilson shined. I'd dig it up, but what's the point? Luck Believers have ALL seen it and just block it from their minds.

I've got Wilson at 19-8 and Luck at 20-10 against common opponents through yesterday's games. Also Luck won head to head which isn't reflected in those records. Looks fairly close to me. Maybe you're the one that's blocking things you don't want to see from your mind.

themunn

Reaction score
Luck was mightily impressive yesterday in almost pulling off yet another miracle comeback.

That said, his boneheaded pick 6 that every man and his dog saw coming a mile off to help put them in that position sure had something to do with it...

Ozzy

Reaction score
The INT numbers do not include the playoffs where Wilson pulls way ahead. Why shouldn't they count? You could argue that is a more important statistic than the regular season. I'm actually a huge Luck fan but he seems to make dumb mistakes at an alarming rate for how smart he is. Not sure what causes this. I expect him to clean this up and be a great QB. Both are great QB's. I wouldn't trade Wilson for anyone but if I was a Colts fan I would probably say the same thing. Both will be great for a long time.

NINEster

Reaction score
Luck was legitimately having to carry the Colts his first season, now not as much.

One thing I'll say about Luck.....he does make mistakes and can be careless with the ball, but he does inspire the ability to come from behind if need be better than the other young QBs. He didn't deserve to win that playoff game versus Kansas City, but he still got it done. He made the Pittsburgh game close.

If he was QBing the Niners or Cardinals versus Denver, I believe he finds a way to get more points on the board to make the games interesting. You don't get the sense the door is permanently shut with him.

It does happen.....last year vs Cardinals and Rams, his team was blown out.

He's far from perfect but if you're gonna build a new expansion team from scratch and you can only use QBs drafted from 2011 and on, I'd say he would be #1 on the list.

Handing him to a powerhouse balanced team, I'm not so sure. But it wouldn't be a mistake to grab him.

If Tony Romo can be taught to play risk averse ball this late in his career, you can get Luck to do the same.

LotsOfLuck

Reaction score
themunn":2wcj2rdq said:
Luck was mightily impressive yesterday in almost pulling off yet another miracle comeback.

That said, his boneheaded pick 6 that every man and his dog saw coming a mile off to help put them in that position sure had something to do with it...

Not every QB has the luxury of winning a game by putting up only 13 points and one touchdown drive. It's true that Luck's pick six didn't help matters yesterday but our defense also gave up 500+ yards passing and 6 touchdown passes aside from that. It was obvious early on that we were going to have to put up a ton of points to have a shot to win the game. When you have to score more points, you have to take more chances. When you have to take more chances, the odds are you're going to make more mistakes. As I demonstrated earlier, Luck had thrown the ball almost 1200 times in his first two seasons compared to Wilson who only had to throw 800 times and when you compare the interceptions of each to the number of passes thrown, the ratio is almost the same.

If you want to cherry-pick specific moments then I guess you can convince yourself that Luck, or any quarterback, isn't very good but how objective is that? That would be like me saying, "Look at this boneheaded pick Russell Wilson threw with the game on the line!" and then concluding that he isn't any good. I would have to ignore his body of work and doing that would make me sound as ignorant as some of the Luck bashers here.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... inal-drive

LotsOfLuck

Reaction score
NINEster":2puysl7j said:
Luck was legitimately having to carry the Colts his first season, now not as much.

One thing I'll say about Luck.....he does make mistakes and can be careless with the ball, but he does inspire the ability to come from behind if need be better than the other young QBs. He didn't deserve to win that playoff game versus Kansas City, but he still got it done. He made the Pittsburgh game close.

If he was QBing the Niners or Cardinals versus Denver, I believe he finds a way to get more points on the board to make the games interesting. You don't get the sense the door is permanently shut with him.

It does happen.....last year vs Cardinals and Rams, his team was blown out.

He's far from perfect but if you're gonna build a new expansion team from scratch and you can only use QBs drafted from 2011 and on, I'd say he would be #1 on the list.

Handing him to a powerhouse balanced team, I'm not so sure. But it wouldn't be a mistake to grab him.

If Tony Romo can be taught to play risk averse ball this late in his career, you can get Luck to do the same.

Like I said earlier, Luck knows he's not going to win very many games by sitting back and waiting until the fourth quarter to lead his first touchdown drive of the day. Ultimately, he's out there trying to win the game for his team and not just avoid mistakes at all costs. He doesn't have the luxury of having a historically great defense to back him up. If he did, I think you would see him modify his play and risk-taking quite a bit because it wouldn't be necessary to take as many chances to put his team in a position to win the game. On the rare occasion that he does have the benefit of a defense that is dominating (like last week against the Bengals) he pulls his play in quite a bit. The guy has an architectural design degree from Stanford. He's not dumb.

The bottom line is that he was drafted first overall to, at the time, the worst team in football. He led that team from two wins to double-digit wins his first two seasons and is on pace to do it again. That is pretty remarkable and aside from Peyton Manning I don't believe any other quarterback in football would've had this same Colts team in the playoffs both of the past two years. In spite of some claims here, the team from top to bottom is not nearly as good as the better teams in the league.