Boykin Arrested!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jville

Reaction score
Well ..... at the very least Boykin has likely violated the terms of his probation. So ..... he has a probation officer to answer to along with a sentencing judge to answer to. His previous offense is in jeopardy of not being expunged and will likely become a part of his permanent criminal record. With this latest offense, there is an argument for an emerging pattern of drug and alcohol abuse. Given that it took 6 months the last time around for a legal disposition, the Seahawks have little choice but to move on in search for a plan B backup.

Seymour

Reaction score
Chapow":3maoldwm said:
Yeah, I forgot about the PI. That's just such a load of bull though. It's one thing if a person is creating a disturbance, but just being over the legal limit (wait, what's the legal limit if you're not driving?) and being a passenger in a car being a crime is ridiculous. But I get that that's how police roll, charge someone with anything and everything possible and let the lawyers/courts sort it out. So messed up.

How do you know that he was not being uncooperative or mouthing off? Usually public intoxication is something that will not be charged unless there is some event or difficulties being created by the person charged.

Not saying he was or wasn't, but the charge to me indicates the cops at least think he was.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Jville":1pwenzjq said:
Well ..... at the very least Boykin has likely violated the terms of his probation. So ..... he has a probation officer to answer to along with a sentencing judge to answer to. His previous offense is in jeopardy of not being expunged and will likely become a part of his permanent criminal record. With this latest offense, there is an argument for an emerging pattern of drug and alcohol abuse. Given that it took 6 months the last time around for a legal disposition, the Seahawks have little choice but to move on in search for a plan B backup.

Nah, you're really jumping the gun. We don't know enough yet to jump to that conclusion.

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2017":39evv348 said:
Jville":39evv348 said:

Nah, you're really jumping the gun. We don't know enough yet to jump to that conclusion.

Why would "knowing something" stop any speculation around here (or any forum really) though?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Chapow":1z1m9mtt said:
Yeah, I forgot about the PI. That's just such a load of bull though. It's one thing if a person is creating a disturbance, but just being over the legal limit (wait, what's the legal limit if you're not driving?) and being a passenger in a car being a crime is ridiculous. But I get that that's how police roll, charge someone with anything and everything possible and let the lawyers/courts sort it out. So messed up.

Like most people I don't like how the police tend to pile on charges, but they don't do it so that lawyers will sort it out, they do it to try to dissuade people from going to trial hoping that they won't take the risk and will just plead out.

That said, as much as a hate this stuff, slapping a PI charge on a drunk legal driver in the passenger seat of a DUI offender is far from atypical, and I'm not totally opposed to the logic of it.

You're right that you can't really be an "accomplice" to drunk driving, but if you and your buddy are both drunk and you ro-sham-bo for who's gonna drive, you're both materially benefiting from putting your lives and the lives of others at risk. Two drunks driving around in a car oftentimes just comes down to who happened to drive that night.

For that reason, slapping a drunk legal driver in the passenger seat of a DUI arrest with a PI is, IMO, kinda logical when you compare it to other silly charges like slapping someone with terroristic threats on top of resisting arrest for cursing out a cop while being arrested.

To be totally honest, if a PI charge was standard for driving around with a drunk driver I wouldn't really bat an eye at that. If you're too drunk to drive, you're too drunk to ride with a drunk driver, IMO.

(Edit: worth saying that I don't just have a hard on for charging drunk drivers. That people get charged for being behind the wheel parked somewhere and asleep is insane to me. If you realize you're too drunk to drive and pull over and sleep it off you deserve a medal, not a DUI, IMO).

canfan

Reaction score
Regardless of what the authorities or the league decide about who is to blame exactly for what, the disturbing part is the questionable judgement being shown here by Boykin. Stupidity is not a desirable trait in a football player. It often leads to lack of availability on game day through suspensions. That's even worse than a player who is injury prone. At least the injury prone player didn't say "hold my beer and watch this" just before missing multiple games.

The staff knows him best and they will decide whether or not to give him a 3rd chance, but at the least I expect he is going to have to clearly beat out whoever else they bring in to camp in order to stay on the roster.

Jville

Reaction score
hawknation2017":3mgpc7qx said:
Jville":3mgpc7qx said:

It is what it is. Links and history are available to everyone for review. I have no need to seek false comfort thru some exercise in denial. But if you need some time to deal with it in your own way, that's fine by me.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":26vy0fsp said:
Either way, generally, "unclaimed" drugs in a car would be the responsibility of the driver/owner unless there is a reason to believe otherwise. The marijuana was most likely under his seat or on his person, or made statements to make the PO believe it was his. Not many other options in this case.

There is a lot more nuance to it than that. Having drugs in the car may be enough to establish probable cause of possession, but to be convicted it would have to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that he had constructive possession of the drugs. Meaning, it would have to be proven that he had knowledge of the drug's presence and the ability to maintain dominion and control over it.

This gets tricky when there is more than one person in the car and neither person has exclusive dominion and control. Who had knowledge of the drug's presence and what facts can you marshal to prove knowledge of possession beyond a reasonable doubt? When there is probable cause of joint constructive possession, all the occupants could be lawfully arrested. But to be actually convicted, there have to be other incriminating circumstances that demonstrate the individual's knowledge and control.

Then you have to factor in prosecutorial discretion. In a lot of places, but maybe not Dallas, it's hard to get a conviction for mere possession of marijuana or public intoxication without other aggravating circumstances. Look at the Cam Robinson case as a recent example. He was found with marijuana in his vehicle after the officer smelled the marijuana emanating from the car, and his passenger acknowledged his possession of a firearm that may have been stolen. The prosecutor still threw out the case because he said knowledge of possession was not clear, and he didn't want to "ruin someone's life" over possession of marijuana.

ringless

Reaction score
Well one can likely assume that Boykin is going to be scheduled for a random drug test this week by the NFL regardless.

He does deserve some responsibility driver or not in this. Drinking and driving is a serious issue. As evidenced by the fact 8 people were injured last night, and there was damage to an actual bar. He may not have been the driver, but he is an adult who should've known the other person wasn't in the right state to drive, and he himself likely wasn't. Someone could've easily died. Those 8 people are injured in part because he had some influence on that choice that lead to that. He made a choice to get in that car. That decision led to that outcome. He is not the victim here, those 8 people and the bar are.

Jville

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1ituemkg said:
Jville":1ituemkg said:
hawknation2017":1ituemkg said:
Jville":1ituemkg said:

It is what it is. Links and history are available to everyone for review. I have no need to seek false comfort thru some exercise in denial. But if you need some time to deal with it in your own way, that's fine by me.

I just happen to think that one of the worst things we can do as a society is to assume someone is guilty before being proven so.

No assumptions needed. Boykin was sentenced to one year probation for his previous offense. The content of the most recent police report points to probation violations. But hey :177692: if you seek the comfort of a cliche, have at it. Just understand that I have no wish to join you in Denial.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
ringless":1t3leg2g said:
Well one can likely assume that Boykin is going to be scheduled for a random drug test this week by the NFL regardless.

Yup.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Cleansed...

Keep it on topic.. or start a Shack thread

Seymour

Reaction score
Let the search begin. Boykin will soon be unemployed IMO. Some of the latest details now emerging.

...Boykin faces charges of suspicion of possession of marijuana less than 2 ounces and public intoxication, according to Dallas County Jail records. Police found 6.9 grams of marijuana in a clothing bag sitting on the backseat of the car.....
....Boykin argued with police when they would not allow him to speak with Bailey, who had been placed under arrest, according to the warrant.

The warrant states that Boykin was arrested on suspicion of public intoxication after police observed bloodshot eyes, the smell of marijuana on his clothes, alcohol on his breath, and swaying while he stood.

Jville

Reaction score
Uncle Si":z9wq9ll5 said:
Cleansed...

Keep it on topic.. or start a Shack thread

I had no idea seahawks.net had a dress code.

This is one classy forum!

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
he's toast, already on probation. what an idiot. you get the break of a lifetime and blow it like a complete moron.I m so tired of this from athletes, I have zero sympathy. Later dumb ass.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/846475064153333760[/tweet]

pmedic920

Reaction score
Seymour":qlz6wbx4 said:
Let the search begin. Boykin will soon be unemployed IMO. Some of the latest details now emerging.

...Boykin faces charges of suspicion of possession of marijuana less than 2 ounces and public intoxication, according to Dallas County Jail records. Police found 6.9 grams of marijuana in a clothing bag sitting on the backseat of the car.....
....Boykin argued with police when they would not allow him to speak with Bailey, who had been placed under arrest, according to the warrant.

The warrant states that Boykin was arrested on suspicion of public intoxication after police observed bloodshot eyes, the smell of marijuana on his clothes, alcohol on his breath, and swaying while he stood.

So, turns out that the amount was 6.9 grams. That's a far cry from 2 ozs.

Seems the charge is a higher level of crime IF you get caught with more than 2oz.
Must have been a misunderstanding somewhere along the way.
Still stupid on his part. Way stupid IMO.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
6.9 gams.. lol, isn't that a joint?
It's about .2 ounces.

Status
Not open for further replies.