Bradford to Vikings for 1st

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2bjg5nt9 said:
I just thought then that they overpaid for Bradford (a first AND a fourth this spring).
I understand their reasoning, opening up a new home and all they wanted to put the best team they could out there, but now they are going to be sorely depleted when trying to reload their team.

Yeah its unfortunate for them. I think it was the right move at the time. The Bridgewater injury shook that franchise.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I think the trade is fine. Bradford played pretty well given the circumstances. He had little to no time in training camp and the offeseason with the Vikes. Add in a depleted offensive line and no running game and you can't really expect that much from him. Like another poster mentioned, it isn't a given that Teddy Bridgewater will be ready for next year, or possibly the rest of his career. While Bradford is far from a great QB, he is more than capable of leading the Vikes to the playoffs if they can fix a few things.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1xfbl8im said:
XxXdragonXxX":1xfbl8im said:
If the team had stayed healthy and they had 10-11 wins, it wouldnt have been because of Bradford. Shaun Hill could have done the same. It was a waste of a 1st round pick.

Just look at the Seahawks. The Vikings D has arguably been better than ours. We've had similiar injuries and terrible OL play. Yet we're sitting in the #2 seed.

Are we sitting in the #2 seed because Wilson has so much better than Bradford?

It's a lot of retrospect to say it was a "waste." It has not worked out for them. But, at the time, they thought they had a Super Bowl winning team with Teddy Bridgewater. You really think Bradford's avg. 250 yards, 1TD and .5 INT a game is why they are not?

Retrospect? This is what I was saying when they made the trade. Bradford is a QB that will not win you games,but he wont lose them either. He added nothing to the team, thats why the trade was bad.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
IndyHawk":13nsk0z3 said:
XxXdragonXxX":13nsk0z3 said:
The only 2 things Bradford has accomplished is staying healthy and not turning the ball over.

His YPA is just 6.9 despite his 71% completion rate. All he does is throw high % 5 yard passes. Shaun Hill could do the same thing and it wouldnt have cost a 1st round pick.

Theres no way Bradford was worth a 1st round pick.
:2thumbs:

That YPA is higher than Eli Manning this year. Its also hard to throw it further when 1. Your Oline sucks...2. Your PA passing game sucks because you have no run game...and 3. Your WRs are average at best. I mean Diggs is ok...but Adam Theilen, Cordarelle Patterson? Rudolph is a good TE but slow as molasses and cant break a tackle to save his life after a catch.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1wwy4mrk said:
Firstly thanks to those who corrected me about the Mirer deal. Forgot that was only one first (think I got that deal confused with the Galloway trade)

Anyway what made the deal so awful to me is Sam Bradford wasn't the difference between winning a Super Bowl and not.. I get the desperation behind it, I get that they looked at that defense and Adrian Peterson was on the last legs of his career and said screw it lets go for broke, but now you're going to miss the playoffs entirely, and would have had a top 15 pick to address the OL, find a Peterson replacement, find another weapon for Bradford, etc. And they can still do that in FA and the other rounds in the draft but now you remove two very important picks from a team that has a whole lot of holes to address.

Just think they could have gone after someone else for cheaper and still hit the 7-9 wins they will have this year.

And where would they be sitting in the QB situation without a trade for Bradford.

Shaun Hill and Teddy Bridgewater who might not even be back to start the year or who might never even be the same and its not like he was blowing people away before.

They might of had to use that 1st round pick and 4th round pick on a QB ANYWAY...so who cares. First round picks are heavily overrated anyway

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":37hbvqtr said:
Uncle Si":37hbvqtr said:
XxXdragonXxX":37hbvqtr said:
The only 2 things Bradford has accomplished is staying healthy and not turning the ball over.

His YPA is just 6.9 despite his 71% completion rate. All he does is throw high % 5 yard passes. Shaun Hill could do the same thing and it wouldnt have cost a 1st round pick.

It would have been had the team stayed healthy and they were sitting at 10/11 wins...

It's not Bradford's fault they have one of, if not the worst OL in the league. The 6.9 yards per completion is a measure of that, and having no run game at all, not Bradford. He's stood in there well for them and done more than what some on here said he would.

If the team had stayed healthy and they had 10-11 wins, it wouldnt have been because of Bradford. Shaun Hill could have done the same. It was a waste of a 1st round pick.

Just look at the Seahawks. The Vikings D has arguably been better than ours. We've had similiar injuries and terrible OL play. Yet we're sitting in the #2 seed.

Ya Wilson with his 2 extra TD, 300ish more passing yards and 7 more picks. A few weeks back their statline was basically identical. If the Viking D doesnt choke twice against Detroit they are 9-5 right now with a chance to seal up the division this saturday.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2if5scj4 said:
I think the trade is fine. Bradford played pretty well given the circumstances. He had little to no time in training camp and the offeseason with the Vikes. Add in a depleted offensive line and no running game and you can't really expect that much from him. Like another poster mentioned, it isn't a given that Teddy Bridgewater will be ready for next year, or possibly the rest of his career. While Bradford is far from a great QB, he is more than capable of leading the Vikes to the playoffs if they can fix a few things.

THIS

I cannot believe some of the stuff im reading. Look, im not like a HUGE Bradford supporter or anything but given the...unknown future of Bridgewater with no other QB on the roster their choice would be to basically

1. Draft ANOTHER QB with that first rounder..and prob have to give up even more picks to move up in the draft for that QB..probably more than the trade for Bradford for an absolutely unknown player.

2. Sign some scrub FA QB who has bounced around the league like they have basically every single year since Culpepper left after his played declined from being injured and he was never the same.

I would rather have Bradford going into the offseason if im the Vikings than a 37 year old Shaun Hill and a cripped Teddy Bridgewater who might never be the same

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":2ue36jme said:
IndyHawk":2ue36jme said:
XxXdragonXxX":2ue36jme said:

:2thumbs:

That YPA is higher than Eli Manning this year. Its also hard to throw it further when 1. Your Oline sucks...2. Your PA passing game sucks because you have no run game...and 3. Your WRs are average at best. I mean Diggs is ok...but Adam Theilen, Cordarelle Patterson? Rudolph is a good TE but slow as molasses and cant break a tackle to save his life after a catch.

All those excuses for Bradfords YPA, bit its the 2md best hes had in his career. That is the QB he has beem his entire career. Hos MO is short safe passes.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":38cbitmi said:
Hasselbeck":38cbitmi said:
Firstly thanks to those who corrected me about the Mirer deal. Forgot that was only one first (think I got that deal confused with the Galloway trade)

Anyway what made the deal so awful to me is Sam Bradford wasn't the difference between winning a Super Bowl and not.. I get the desperation behind it, I get that they looked at that defense and Adrian Peterson was on the last legs of his career and said screw it lets go for broke, but now you're going to miss the playoffs entirely, and would have had a top 15 pick to address the OL, find a Peterson replacement, find another weapon for Bradford, etc. And they can still do that in FA and the other rounds in the draft but now you remove two very important picks from a team that has a whole lot of holes to address.

Just think they could have gone after someone else for cheaper and still hit the 7-9 wins they will have this year.

And where would they be sitting in the QB situation without a trade for Bradford.

Shaun Hill and Teddy Bridgewater who might not even be back to start the year or who might never even be the same and its not like he was blowing people away before.

They might of had to use that 1st round pick and 4th round pick on a QB ANYWAY...so who cares. First round picks are heavily overrated anyway

They would be sitting with Hill, who is just as "good" as Bradford, and a 1sr round pick that tbey coild use on a QB with an actuall future.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":ador03fp said:
XxXdragonXxX":ador03fp said:
Uncle Si":ador03fp said:
XxXdragonXxX":ador03fp said:

It would have been had the team stayed healthy and they were sitting at 10/11 wins...

It's not Bradford's fault they have one of, if not the worst OL in the league. The 6.9 yards per completion is a measure of that, and having no run game at all, not Bradford. He's stood in there well for them and done more than what some on here said he would.

Ya Wilson with his 2 extra TD, 300ish more passing yards and 7 more picks. A few weeks back their statline was basically identical. If the Viking D doesnt choke twice against Detroit they are 9-5 right now with a chance to seal up the division this saturday.

And you realize youre comparing Bradford to QB who has been hobbled most of the year...Bradford is "equal" (because all he does is throw short) to a QB that was working with 2 bad legs most of the season.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
The point Im making here is this.

Bradford is not the QB of the future, and hes not going to help you win a championship. So whats the point of trading away a chance to pick the QB of the future who could help you win a championship? It was a bad trade.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Another thing against SB is the cap hit the Vikings are taking..I don't think anyone is going to take that off the books for them.Has he ever made the playoffs?I'm going to say no..To me the guy doesn't inspire or lead his team ever and yet he gets paid like he's some elite QB..I'm sorry I just never have seen any greatness to justify the hype

Uncle Si

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":3r7zize2 said:
The point Im making here is this.

Bradford is not the QB of the future, and hes not going to help you win a championship. So whats the point of trading away a chance to pick the QB of the future who could help you win a championship? It was a bad trade.

I don't disagree that a 1st was too much. And they have an issue on their hands if Bradford wants to restructure in the offseason.

I do disagree that Bradford has not been a valuable asset to them. A #1? Probably not. But this team has been mere inches away from having a few more wins and he has been a major part of their success.

Again, they thought they were a Super Bowl contender. They lost their starting QB to a horrific injury. They didn't want to forgo the chance to continue the path they thought they were on.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Just want to update this....

So Bradford....not having ANY offseason with the WRs or offense...thrown into a fairly bad situation and didnt even play the first game

Sets the NFL record for completion percentage beating Drew Brees

Finishes with 20TD and 4INT with about 3900 yard and close to a 100QB rating

Also saw today Sam Bradford is now the 2nd QB in NFL history to attempt over 500 passes and throw 5 or fewer interceptions in a single season.

Still think that trade is bad or bradford is bad...

Teddy had 14TD 9INt 3200ish yards and a 88 rating the year before

Everyone who wanted to bash Bradford should rethink their opinion of him

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Are they in the playoffs? My (fairly low) opinion of Bradford was formed watching him on the lambs. That's a fairly comprehensive body of 'work'.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
GeekHawk":9ygnrack said:
Are they in the playoffs? My (fairly low) opinion of Bradford was formed watching him on the lambs. That's a fairly comprehensive body of 'work'.

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl... tired line of thinking I know, but sometimes the rest of the team contributes to success and failure regardless of the QB.

A first was too much. But they had to do something. Opened a new stadium with Super Bowl aspirations suddenly dashed by a horrific injury.

Maybe the right thing to say was Bradford was the right QB, just a round too high in compensation. He had a good year.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
My opinion of him doesn't change..He has been fragile,doesn't lead and his stats are inflated with short safe passing.The guy he is 2nd to in that record?Foles-Wow that is a great example.He got paid mega money to get the Vikings nowhere and thats his 3rd team..He speaks for himself.I have to add this great article that expands on what I have been saying.I'm sorry guys for keeping this going but here is the link- http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ercentage/