Bradford to Vikings for 1st

Fade

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3j31gyjk said:
Bradford remains a toothpick. Signing him didn't send a "we're not giving up" message so much as a "oh please God let this work" message.
Great point Montana. I was trying to up sell it.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Bradford isn't staying healthy. They essentially flushed cap space & draft picks down the toilet for nothing. This is the most likely scenario.

If you're telling me Bradford can stay healthy for the season. This is an okay trade for them. Okay in the sense they will have a good chance to make the playoffs, only to exit them early. This is the best case scenario, and least likely. High risk, low reward. Opportunity cost 101.

FYI; Bradford has never led a team to the playoffs before, so that isn't even a guarantee.

Philly made out like bandits.

They unloaded a mediocre QB, cleared $24M in future cap space, acquired draft picks, (one being a 1st rounder that could turn into a top 10 pick if Minn has bad injury luck, which they're off to a good start already.) Plus they have accelerated their re-build by 1 year.

Grade for the Eagles: A+
Grade for the Vikings: D

Grade for the Vikings: C+(Upgraded if Bradford stays healthy.)
Grade for the Vikings: F- (Downgraded If Bradford is put on I.R..)

kearly

Reaction score
Eli and Flacco have three rings between them, and they played on 10-6 and 9-7 teams. If you make the dance, you have a chance.

But I get what your are saying. The Vikings odds still aren't that great. That said, I think you have to sell hope to the fanbase and I think the Vikings days as fringe contenders will likely end when AP retires.

OP
OP
Seafan

Seafan

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":e4mdl9hu said:
This reminds me of when we fleeced the Bears for two firsts for Rick Mirer. What a terrible trade. I get Super Bowl windows are finite and the Vikes are on the brink.. but yikes.

You've said this before but the Hawks only got ONE draft pick for Mirer. We fleeced them nonetheless.

We fleeced the Cowboys for 2 1sts for Galloway and we fleeced the Colts for 2 1sts for Fredd Young.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Seafan":3d88sbzw said:
Hasselbeck":3d88sbzw said:
This reminds me of when we fleeced the Bears for two firsts for Rick Mirer. What a terrible trade. I get Super Bowl windows are finite and the Vikes are on the brink.. but yikes.

You've said this before but the Hawks only got ONE draft pick for Mirer. We fleeced them nonetheless.

We fleeced the Cowboys for 2 1sts for Galloway and we fleeced the Colts for 2 1sts for Fredd Young.

The pick the Hawks got for Mirer turned into Walter Jones, so extra points for quality.

aawolf

Reaction score
kearly":26ajfwf6 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":26ajfwf6 said:
I would've rather given a first rounder to Tampa Bay for Mike Glennon.

Glennon crossed my mind as well. But I think I am probably biased from the time that Glennon had one amazing half of football against us that one time.

There has never been trade interest in Glennon. There have been constant swirls of trade interest in Bradford. Maybe draft bias plays a big role, but clearly NFL teams have a higher opinion of Bradford then fans do. That doesn't mean the NFL teams are correct, but it's something to consider.

At least we can all agree- this was an unbelievable trade for Philly. The worst free agent signing of the offseason just became the best one.

Glennon could have been had for a Second and a late round pick as of earlier this year. The price would have been a little higher in desperate times. But, they could have gotten Glennon for cheaper. Glennon has 60% completion percentage and a 2:1 touchdown to INT ratio. He's not a winner though, as the Bucs struggled when he was the starter. I'd argue it wasn't his fault, but its hard to carry around a 5-13 record as a starter and demand much.

I hope some team realizes his value and picks him up so there are once again 3 starting QBs from NC State in the NFL.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
hawkfan68":20ttaw4m said:
Why would anyone in their right mind give up a 1st and 4th round picks for an "average at best" QB? Desperate teams do stupid things. This is similar to the Rick Mirer trade when the Seahawks unloaded him to the Bears. It's just one less team for the Seahawks, Cards, Pack, and Panthers to worry about as contenders.
Because he's 6'4".

JimmyG

Reaction score
dogorama":1huj988h said:
Every team's ultimate goal is to get to the Super Bowl, what the Seahawks accomplished by getting to two in a row is extremely rare in the modern age, most teams are just hoping to get to one. When a team finally is able to assemble a potential SB team they typically have a window of time before that expires. It is pretty obvious that the Vikes see their window as now, i.e. the next couple of years. Are they desperate? Hell yes they are. It's a gamble, and sometimes you gotta do that.
I agree. The Vikings overpaid, but given the circumstances, it makes sense.

Bradford is not worth a first round pick. The Eagles had leverage and they took advantage for sure. That said, Bradford is way better than players like Mike Vick, Shaun Hill, Mark Sanchez, etc... Bradford is a bonafide starter. He's a lower-tier one, but he's still a starter nonetheless. Shaun Hill has hardly played over the last half-decade. To say Bradford is only a marginal upgrade over him is just silly. There's a reason that Hill is a journeyman backup that is relegated to break-glass-in-case-of-emergency situation and that Bradford continues to start.

Durability is definitely a concern with Bradford though. That said, the Vikings roster is strong enough that I could see Bradford riding along for a Super Bowl ride if a few things go their way this year. I don't expect it to happen, but it's not out of the question. It's not like this is the 49ers trading for Bradford -- the Vikings are actually legitimate contenders this year.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
kearly":3uc6wyzi said:
When facing certain death, suddenly risky opportunities for salvation seem a lot more appealing. If they don't make a move, they flush the next two seasons down the toilet. And in two years their core will be two years older and AP will be done. The time is now for the Vikings.

FWIW, several other teams were calling the Eagles for Bradford, which is why the compensation level got so high.

I totally get that this could blow up in their faces. But IMO, it's a chance that is worth taking.

Came to pretty much post this exactly.

The Vikings have young talented players at most positions - they needed an average QB much more than that 1st round pick.

Also makes sense if Teddy can't play next year.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Just one game but Bradford has looked really good. The Vikings are real contenders with that defense and a decent QB. It's very possible he is better than Bridgewater. Which isn't saying much I realize.

CANHawk

Reaction score
kearly":2q1tlml7 said:
Based on the initial reports, it sounds like Bridgewater is looking at a 2 year recover time from his injury, with a non-zero chance that he's already played his last down in the NFL. Bradford is on a 2 year contract. So it makes sense.

And when Bridgewater does recover, you still have to worry long term about those skinny little gazelle legs of his.

The Vikings paid a lot, but can you really blame them? AP is the motor that makes that team run, and he might have just one good NFL season left in the tank. The Vikings couldn't afford to punt this season, especially when considering how favorable their schedule is.

And while I am hardly a Bradford homer, I do think he is a better QB than Teddy Bridgewater. It goes without saying that Bradford is better than Shaun Hill.

Seattle went without a 1st round pick in 2015 and they still did very well in that draft. People tend to over-react to trading away first round picks, especially for a team like Minnesota that will probably be drafting 20th or later.
Well old Kipper seems to have been 100% on point on this one.....

:shrug:

sent from the charred remains of a note 7 using tapatalk

NINEster

Reaction score
kearly":19wnotfk said:
Eli and Flacco have three rings between them, and they played on 10-6 and 9-7 teams. If you make the dance, you have a chance.

But I get what your are saying. The Vikings odds still aren't that great. That said, I think you have to sell hope to the fanbase and I think the Vikings days as fringe contenders will likely end when AP retires.

Vikings have a better shot than most to get to the Super Bowl.

They showed they aren't a one season fluke -- that was key.

Carolina was smashed. AZ may not be a top threat. NYG was smashed.

Green Bay was humbled.

How many more big threats in the NFC are there? Would have to be some new blood.

Oh yeah, the Seahawks.

If the Vikings keep this up they will be a tough out in the playoffs.

Do you want to play them?

Boycie

Reaction score
NINEster":1oe7arzu said:
kearly":1oe7arzu said:

Vikings have a better shot than most to get to the Super Bowl.

They showed they aren't a one season fluke -- that was key.

Carolina was smashed. AZ may not be a top threat. NYG was smashed.

Green Bay was humbled.

How many more big threats in the NFC are there? Would have to be some new blood.

Oh yeah, the Seahawks.

If the Vikings keep this up they will be a tough out in the playoffs.

Do you want to play them?

Especially if they get home field through the playoffs brrrrr. Although their D is very good, the only impressive win they have had was against GB, and even that isn't that impressive.

I am not taking anything away from the Vikes, but they haven't exactly played elite level teams yet, so I cannot say that they are an elite team yet, but all indications seem to be pointing in that direction.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":3rf3rkf2 said:
Especially if they get home field through the playoffs brrrrr. Although their D is very good, the only impressive win they have had was against GB, and even that isn't that impressive.

I am not taking anything away from the Vikes, but they haven't exactly played elite level teams yet, so I cannot say that they are an elite team yet, but all indications seem to be pointing in that direction.

I beg to differ, as their win against Carolina was pretty decisive on the defensive side. The problem with MN is that their offense is even slower to start than our own. Against the Giants was the exception, and not the rule with the fast start.

I'm still not sold on McKinnon, as he takes too long behind the LOS before he shoots out. If he were more decisive then their O would be a bit more dangerous.

Bradford has looked like Alex Smith, doing quick check down passes to move the chains, and Rudolph has been balling. They have some serious rapport already.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Methinks a lot of you forgot just how good Bradford is. He used to tear us up, now with a 105 passer rating, if he can stay healthy, shows the vikings were right. They may have spent heavily to get him, but he's a damn good QB if healthy.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeAhAwKeR4life":387z6brw said:
Methinks a lot of you forgot just how good Bradford is. He used to tear us up, now with a 105 passer rating, if he can stay healthy, shows the vikings were right. They may have spent heavily to get him, but he's a damn good QB if healthy.

His career stats...

http://www.nfl.com/player/sambradford/497095/careerstats

The 82 TDs to 52 INTs is a glaring statistic.

Edit: Sam Bradford will be a great pick up for the Vikings, who will challenge for the NFC crown this season.

Boycie

Reaction score
OkieHawk":zqoqe7rd said:
Ace_Rimmer":zqoqe7rd said:

I beg to differ, as their win against Carolina was pretty decisive on the defensive side. The problem with MN is that their offense is even slower to start than our own. Against the Giants was the exception, and not the rule with the fast start.

I'm still not sold on McKinnon, as he takes too long behind the LOS before he shoots out. If he were more decisive then their O would be a bit more dangerous.

Bradford has looked like Alex Smith, doing quick check down passes to move the chains, and Rudolph has been balling. They have some serious rapport already.

That win against the Panthers would have been impressive if it was against last year's team, but this year's team is a shadow of it's former self. I didn't watch that game, but didn't the Panthers have the lead going into the half? I just looked, and it looks like Carolina couldn't seal the deal even though they had a wide margin in time of possession. There is definitely something wrong with the Panthers, and I think it starts with Cam not having Stewart, and also missing Norman.

I watched most of the Vikes/ Giants game, and I didn't come away from that game like "wow, they could really give us fits."

NINEster

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":2uo8yk1k said:
lol, I forgot about the new stadium. Never mind then. They can get home field and we will still crush them.

Crush them?

LOL.

Vikings could get crushed on an off day, in the regular season, sure. Much like the good ole Harbaugh niners could get their ass beat up on off days (like against the Vikings in 2012).

But no way they aren't ready for Seattle after what happened last time.

No good team is crushing Minny.

I'd wager that the Vikings are wanting to play Seattle more than any other team in the NFC.

I saw the preseason game, just like Den/Sea last year. Those guys put in extra effort to get to Wilson in both those games.

#NeverForget

Latest posts