Brandon Shell nice addition

seabowl

Reaction score
Have to give kudos to Brandon Shell as he has stepped into the RT slot and solidified a position of need. No more "FALE START number 65" every game. He's doing a nice job and was a cheaper option vs Fant.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Ifedi was a guard and should have always stayed at guard.

The false starts are super annoying and I am so glad they are gone.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Holy Moly!

Heresy, an offensive line player doesn't really suck as badly as the 'Nadirs of Negativity' would have us believe.

My sense is the OLine is slowly improving to be quite acceptable. The right side of the line is now becoming close to the left and both Lewis and shell are playing better than many prognosticated. I think the team has a genuine developing star with Lewis who seems able to handle interior rushers with ease. Shell has done much better than I believed he would initially and deserves the compliment. I am also pleased with how well Pocic has performed too.

It will be interesting to watch how the line deals with Aaron Donald, but generally the pass pro is steadily getting better.

kf3339

Reaction score
Shell has indeed played well on our line! I was a little concerned that we didn't take a quality OT in the draft, but his play has given us some time. The above comment of Ifedi being more a guard is probably correct. It's not important now.

toffee

Reaction score
And he is young too, may even make some improvement as the line get used to each other.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
kf3339":2o1dk0zs said:
Shell has indeed played well on our line! I was a little concerned that we didn't take a quality OT in the draft, but his play has given us some time. The above comment of Ifedi being more a guard is probably correct. It's not important now.
You don't think Lewis can play OT?

Fade

Reaction score
He is their best signing.

He was getting worked over by Tak McKinnley in the 1st game, but he has improved every week, and is now a steal for the price they payed. He along with Pocic is why their O-Line can actually pass block now.

Praise be to Solari. : )

Polk738

Reaction score
To me this is the best the OL has looked since probably 2013, and what's even better is I think they actually drafted a pro bowl quality lineman in Damien Lewis-the guy pancaked Grady Jarrett! still one of my favorite plays of the year.

Erebus

Reaction score
Polk738":hvipbdwv said:
To me this is the best the OL has looked since probably 2013, and what's even better is I think they actually drafted a pro bowl quality lineman in Damien Lewis-the guy pancaked Grady Jarrett! still one of my favorite plays of the year.

The 2013 o-line wasn't that good, but I assume people might misremember it because they didn't cost us a championship (unlike some other years). That line could run block but was poor at pass protection. Russ was faster back then and made up for their deficiency.

Okung missed a lot of time and Giacomini was a liability (though not as bad as Ifedi) at RT. Carpenter was okay at guard but didn't play well enough for a second contract, and Sweezy was still developing into an offensive lineman. Unger was the only real bright spot on the line. I think our current line is better than that one. Brown, Lewis, and Shell are definitely upgrades over that o-line.

kf3339

Reaction score
IndyHawk":gokzus48 said:
kf3339":gokzus48 said:
You don't think Lewis can play OT?

I haven't seen him play OT, so I can't say at all. I do know he was drafted to play guard. I was talking about draft players that were projected as OT and pretty sure that wasn't the case with him. Not to say he couldn't play OT.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Erebus":1vy2qx4d said:
The 2013 o-line wasn't that good, but I assume people might misremember it because they didn't cost us a championship (unlike some other years). That line could run block but was poor at pass protection. Russ was faster back then and made up for their deficiency.

Okung missed a lot of time and Giacomini was a liability (though not as bad as Ifedi) at RT. Carpenter was okay at guard but didn't play well enough for a second contract, and Sweezy was still developing into an offensive lineman. Unger was the only real bright spot on the line. I think our current line is better than that one. Brown, Lewis, and Shell are definitely upgrades over that o-line.

Yup, the 2013 O-Line was a dumpster fire on Pass-pro, but decent in the run game, and Beastmode made them look tecent. I remember the Rams game a couple weeks before the playoffs and Russell running for his life while Robert Quinn chased him down time and again.

Rookies Bowie and Bailey... neither one lasted more than another season or two in the NFL, IIRC. Sweezy, Carpenter, Okung, and wow, I'd somehow forgotten about Giacomini and Unger. Our line did OK except against the Rams, all had solid post-Hawks careers, and collectively the group moved people backwards in the run-game.