Breaking down Seattle's Double Stacks formation on offense

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
LolaRox":3h152ex7 said:
Thanks OP for posting your write up and starting this discussion, I too enjoy reading threads like this. They help me learn and explore the different facets/strategies of the game.

Can someone please take a few minutes and answer a couple questions for me?

Many have posted the benefits/advantages to this formation, but how do you stop it?

And if its that difficult to stop why don't the Seahawks run it more and why don't other teams run it?

TIA
1. Teams run certain plays and/or formations at certain times in the game to set up other plays they actually want to run in critical parts of the game later on to see how the defense is playing particular formations and plays. Think of it like chess which has the opening gambit, midgame and endgame phases.

2. You need the right personnel to make it work and in the NFL it's far harder to achieve then in the NCAA. That R/O quarterback has to be able to pass from the pocket and be a true double threat. I know of only two quarterbacks in the entire history of the NFL with a skillset similar to and at the level of Wilson's. Steve Young and Fran Tarkenton. Almost without fail a typical R/O quarterback isn't really a good passing quarterback especially from the pocket. Newton, Mariota and Winston may get there but they aren't there yet and may never be.

dogorama

Reaction score
LolaRox":16uewe4w said:
Thanks OP for posting your write up and starting this discussion, I too enjoy reading threads like this. They help me learn and explore the different facets/strategies of the game.

Many have posted the benefits/advantages to this formation, but how do you stop it?

And if its that difficult to stop why don't the Seahawks run it more and why don't other teams run it?

TIA

Note the "30-stack" (3-3) defense that leaves six in the box in the article about how Chip Kelly utilized the formation: http://fishduck.com/2012/10/chip-kelly- ... ay-to-usc/

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Though I don't consider Mariota, Newton or Winston to be R/O quarterbacks. Cam might be the nearest but he's the poorest passer of the three by a considerable margin. He's more a physical freak then a student of the position he plays.

dogorama

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":p0079tsu said:
Though I don't consider Mariota, Newton or Winston to be R/O quarterbacks. Cam might be the nearest but he's the poorest passer of the three by a considerable margin. He's more a physical freak then a student of the position he plays.

While this may be true, no NFL QB has more experience w/the double-stacks than Mariota who utilized it while at Oregon.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
dogorama":3m8zbq9x said:
MizzouHawkGal":3m8zbq9x said:

While this may be true, no NFL QB has more experience w/the double-stacks than Mariota who utilized it while at Oregon.
Very true but you really need the right kind of quarterback, wide receivers and running backs to make it work. Which funny enough are the kind the Seahawks have and most the draft guys just don't like. And Mariota is far nearer to Luck then Wilson (a quarterback that can run not a running quarterback that's an actual double threat).

That's critical given this is the NFL where the worst on the field is better then all but maybe one guy on the field in the NCAA.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
And stop it? Just any other offense with an elite quarterback. You keep them off the field and score touchdowns not field goals when your offense is on the field. Don't ever count on your defense to actually stone an elite quarterback the entire game because the rules will not allow it, especially now with the rule changes concerning cut blocking and by extension ZBS. You need to score 30 points a game now, end of story. It's a quarterback driven league and people pay big money for it and the owners will do anything to keep it that way.

People love 31-28 vs. 17-13.

dogorama

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":q3qg1zh9 said:
And stop it? Just any other offense with an elite quarterback. You keep them off the field and score touchdowns not field goals when your offense is on the field. Don't ever count on your defense to actually stone an elite quarterback the entire game because the rules will not allow it, especially now with the rule changes concerning cut blocking and by extension ZBS. You need to score 30 points a game now, end of story. It's a quarterback driven league and people pay big money for it and the owners will do anything to keep it that way.

People love 31-28 vs. 17-13.

It's true that the game's rules have evolved to create more opportunities for scoring but they are, at least ostensibly, created to protect the players from serious injuries. The Seahawks have managed to hold offenses to 17, 16, 15, and 15 points a game in the last four years and some other teams are not far behind which tells me that defenses are evolving too. This year we saw a Denver team who thought they were going to boat race us a couple of years ago learn that defense wins championships.

OP
OP
M

MB12

Reaction score
LolaRox":156hpne7 said:

TIA

I actually like how the Steelers lined up against it. The defensive front would have made stopping the inside zone run a lot easier. (Video in the article) They also had a linebacker in an area which would have probably stopped a counter run. They just messed up in pass coverage. I'm pretty sure Seattle only got one yard when running the ball from this formation earlier in the game.

As mentioned earlier in the post, the Cardinals using a 2i was a very costly decision aimed at stopping the counter. They really needed a nose tackle to defend the inside zone run.

LolaRox

Reaction score
Thank you to those who responded to my questions. This is a very interesting play with many 'options' I hope to see it used a little more often with those variations.

OASN - did anyone notice Russell sprinting downfield on CMike's 45 yard run @AZ. I remember seeing it in the game and appreciating the effort but hoping no one takes a cheap shot on him.