Brian Schottenheimer - future Seahawks Head Coach

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
The offense has been pretty good. He may just be a hot candidate this year with the openings their may be around the league.

Seymour

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1pdnn13i said:
The offense has been pretty good. He may just be a hot candidate this year with the openings their may be around the league.

LMAO.....Not!!
Nobody wants a run first OC as a head coach in this day and age (besides Pete ball).
Schotty is not going anywhere anytime soon. :177692:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I honestly don't know enough about Schotty's personality to say whether he's HC material.

From the few interviews I've seen he seems pretty chill and not exactly Mr. Charisma, so not sure he's suited to command an entire organization. Plus most of the league seems to want the new flavor of the month type HC, and not the safe retread.

I will say if Schotty sticks with Pete and we make it back to a SB? Now you're talking, that's when coordinators like Schottenheimer command attention and interest.

Fade

Reaction score
I think Schotty's best chance to be a Head Coach is after next year. Due to his rep,
he has to prove it and do it again. The NFL loves them some nepotism, so his chances have increased substantially, but I would give it one more year.

I think teams are looking more at the new wave, young, college style OCs than the oldschool traditional OC. He will get a shot though if the Seahawks keep it up & make a couple deep playoff runs this year and next.

If I were an NFL executive I wouldn't be interested, I think he is in the perfect spot, and do not view him as head coach material. This league changes coaches like they're washing laundry though, someone has to get these jobs. Schotty is on deck and entering the batting circle, he will be at the plate next year.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Eh. Schotty is working with the best personnel setup he's had in his life. Wilson, Baldwin, Lockett, Brown, Britt, Fluker, Carson, Penny, and a lot of chemistry and experience between them. Pretty much blows the doors off anything he's had before. I'm glad he's working out well here, but it feels like he'd need to be walking into a similar setup as a head coach for him to justify the hire.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
I like him as an OC, but I would rather have a defensive minded HC. Vic Fangio would be my first choice.

justafan

Reaction score
Seymour":3oocqhzm said:
sutz":3oocqhzm said:
Actually kind of fits a league-wide "norm" where a defensive oriented HC (Pete) gets replaced with an offensive oriented HC (Schotty) when the time comes. It doesn't always work that way, but I've seen it a lot.

I'm not so sure Pete will retire in 3 years, he still looks pretty energized and motivated. But as they say, we'll see.

There's always the chance, of course, that if Schotty does well, he'll be recruited by some team as a HC, for which we may not be able to protect him.

In general I agree but there were times last season that Pete looked absolutely exhausted and at wits end about WTH was happening around him. Never seen him so stressed myself. Hence the reason Cabevell is gone now IMO.

I think having the some of the leaders thinking they are more important than the team caused a lot of that grief.

justafan

Reaction score
Pass on DQ.Nice hire as a DC but all that talent and he struggles. Schotty got deep in the playoffs with Sanchez so he has had success. If we have a few huge season I could see him get offers. But I hope we have a new owner than follows PAs lead and goes for the homerun hire.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Schottenheimer has done an amazing job this year as an OC. Highest scoring offense of the Pete Carroll era and 2nd highest scoring offense in franchise history. #1 rushing offense in the NFL. Highest QB rating of Wilson’s career. #1 against the blitz. #2 on play action passing.

Still, considering him a HC candidate (anywhere) is premature. Much less with the Seahawks, who are very happy with their current HC.

endzorn

Reaction score
I think the next head coach will be Bruce Bruce Arians for sure.

THE TABS

Reaction score
I’m not on board with him, for two reasons.

1. Our passing game is too vertical, and we don’t attack the short and intermediate areas in key situations like the Rams do to us time and again. There are a few examples I can bring up, like the Arizona game. End of the half, midfield, 4th and 1, and we sent 4 verticals. Stupid call. He did the same thing at Carolina, and miraculously it worked with Russ hitting David Moore for a touchdown.

2. I’m sick and tired of the “give up” calls on 2nd and long, and 3rd and forever. We take a penalty, get backed up, and don’t even attempt to go for the sticks. Hate it, hate it, HATE IT.

Yes, we’ve fixed the running game, and the offensive line is no longer the albatross holding this team back. But, I think we missed a big opportunity by not hiring John Deflippo. Granted, the drawback is that we might have only had him for one year, but I still think it would have been worth it for the offensive system install alone.

It’s too bad we can’t turn back the clock to 2010 and convince Mike Solari to stay. Probably would have won at least one more ring, and Darrel Bevell would probably be a head coach somewhere.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":2lowos70 said:
I like him as an OC, but I would rather have a defensive minded HC. Vic Fangio would be my first choice.

No love for Ken Norton Jr?

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1o6grwh5 said:
Sox-n-Hawks":1o6grwh5 said:

No love for Ken Norton Jr?

How often does the promote from within to HC actually work?

hawknation2018

Reaction score
THE TABS":2aq4j3oy said:
I’m not on board with him, for two reasons.

1. Our passing game is too vertical, and we don’t attack the short and intermediate areas in key situations like the Rams do to us time and again. There are a few examples I can bring up, like the Arizona game. End of the half, midfield, 4th and 1, and we sent 4 verticals. Stupid call. He did the same thing at Carolina, and miraculously it worked with Russ hitting David Moore for a touchdown.

2. I’m sick and tired of the “give up” calls on 2nd and long, and 3rd and forever. We take a penalty, get backed up, and don’t even attempt to go for the sticks. Hate it, hate it, HATE IT.

Yes, we’ve fixed the running game, and the offensive line is no longer the albatross holding this team back. But, I think we missed a big opportunity by not hiring John Deflippo. Granted, the drawback is that we might have only had him for one year, but I still think it would have been worth it for the offensive system install alone.

It’s too bad we can’t turn back the clock to 2010 and convince Mike Solari to stay. Probably would have won at least one more ring, and Darrel Bevell would probably be a head coach somewhere.

John Deflippo has not had a good year with the Vikings. Their HC has criticized him for continually abandoning the run game, much like Bevell used to do.

I don’t agree with your criticisms of Schottenheimer’s play calling. Not when we are scoring more points per game than we did from 2012-17, with seemingly less talent.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Way early for that but I'm thrilled with the work/improvement Schotty (with Solari) has helped to bring to what was a chaotic shambles of an offense.

Those two are without a doubt the primary reason we have exceeded expectations this season.

This team is a hoot to watch play.

GO HAWKS!

MarylandHawk

Reaction score
He is only doing what Pete forced him to do following that two-game debacle to start the season.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
endzorn":2wdjvcst said:
I think the next head coach will be Bruce Bruce Arians for sure.

I think you might have found the one thing that might stop me from being a Seahawk fan. I didn't think it was possible.

DangerousDoug

Reaction score
I would guess Pete re-ups for a short extension. He just looks like he's having too much fun to step aside.

jmahon316

Reaction score
DangerousDoug":89aj8kaz said:
I would guess Pete re-ups for a short extension. He just looks like he's having too much fun to step aside.

I agree. I don't think he'll just drop everything with the way things are going unless he's forced to (I don't see that happening considering the Seahawks are playoff bound in a "reload" year where USA Today and other media outlets severely underestimated them)

chris98251

Reaction score
ImTheScientist doing his best Siouxhawk imitation, Bevell was suppose to be the next head coach remember?

We have a different owner coming in at some point, Pete seems re energized, he is here as long as he is having fun and were trending the right direction. New Owner wants success and will ride it as long as it's there.

Latest posts