Carson or Penny?

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":28f7vvs0 said:
The 3rd and inches play call ... having nightmares over that one.

YES!!!! That is exactly the type of play I think Carson is built for.

RiverDog

Reaction score
kf3339":2xtouc79 said:
Sgt. Largent":2xtouc79 said:
RiverDog":2xtouc79 said:
Yea, not giving Carson more carries was one of the more confusing aspects of our offense, along with the failure to give our RT (Right Turnstile) Ifedi help on Von Miller by keeping a tight end in.

1. We kept a TE in and slid protection to Miller's side on over 75% of the snaps to chip and help Ifedi with Miller.

2. Pete even said this morning that the altitude was getting to Carson and other yesterday, dudes were puking on the sidelines they were so gassed.

So why more Penny? Cause we had to, that's why.

I honestly didn't see us sliding protection and keeping a TE in on Ifedi's side for over 75% of the offensive plays. Maybe 30-40%, but not over 75%. Maybe I'm wrong but my eye test doesn't think so.

I didn't, either, but I haven't watched the replay yet. I saw enough times where Ifedi was left on an island with Miller and consequently blowing up things to conclude that whatever it was that we were doing, it wasn't adequate. If they weren't going to give Ifedi help, then the play call had better have been for Russell to make a quick throw.

Hopefully they learn that lesson next week against Khalil Mack or it's going to be another 6 sack game. Miller and Mack are perhaps the two best pass rushers we'll see all year, and we get them back-to-back to open the season. We'll see what kind of adjustments Schott and Solari make.

As far as Penny goes, I understand that even if he isn't yet producing like Carson is that we still need to be getting him some touches. If Pete sat him due to the fumble, then I can handle that. But at this point, and in spite of his fumble, Carson is clearly the better back and should be getting the majority of the carries.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":16n0vycn said:
Sgt. Largent":16n0vycn said:
HawkerD":16n0vycn said:
Sgt. Largent":16n0vycn said:
1. We kept a TE in and slid protection to Miller's side on over 75% of the snaps to chip and help Ifedi with Miller.

2. Pete even said this morning that the altitude was getting to Carson and other yesterday, dudes were puking on the sidelines they were so gassed.

So why more Penny? Cause we had to, that's why.

How do you know PC is lying? His lips are moving. :sarcasm_off: (Old joke but it applies. I don't believe anything he says.)

Didn't you watch the game? I saw at least 3-4 times of Carson asking to come off for a blow.

Yes the altitude was real, and it contributed to seeing Penny come on probably more than Pete wanted. Pete's never been shy about giving the hot hand to a RB, why do you think he'd just arbitrarily pull Carson?

Because he fumbled. He pulled him right after that.

That's not arbitrary............and Pete doesn't just pull backs after fumbling once. If it's an issue like Crisco Hands Michaels a couple years ago? Then yes maybe you'll see less of the RB, but not after just one fumble.

Carson has the surest hands on the team, so to think Pete would yank him after one fumble isn't a good opinion to have. It's baseless.

Pete wants his RB's to split time, so that's what he did. The altitude contributed to that even more Sunday. It's as simple as that, no need to read into it anymore.

xray

Reaction score
It really doesn't matter because like always poor OL play. We should get used to another year of crappy run blocking and pass blocking. They gave up on the run because they saw right away it wasn't gonna work

Seymour

Reaction score
xray":pxcfztut said:
It really doesn't matter because like always poor OL play. We should get used to another year of crappy run blocking and pass blocking. They gave up on the run because they saw right away it wasn't gonna work

Carson was averaging 7 ypc and was "leaping tall players in a single bound", so to say the run wasn't working is way off base.

themunn

Reaction score
lukerguy":fcq4yfim said:
Clearly Carson is the better back. I'd like to know what the hell the Seahawks were doing drafting Penny 27th overall..

Because Carson had 4 career games and was coming back from a broken ankle, and the Seahawks were one of the worst rushing teams in the league last year? Remember how great Rawls looked his rookie season? It would have been irresponsible to pin our hopes on Carson with such uncertainty in the air.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2wyq47jh said:
That's not arbitrary............and Pete doesn't just pull backs after fumbling once. If it's an issue like Crisco Hands Michaels a couple years ago? Then yes maybe you'll see less of the RB, but not after just one fumble.

This is totally irrelevant, but Christine Michael DID NOT have a fumbling problem. He's had 282 career touches (carries and receptions) and he's put the ball on the ground three times, and only one was lost.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Carson runs with violence and explosion and so far Penny simply doesn't. Carson needs to learn to be aware of the reality that opposing teams will be after strip attempts with him and he will need to learn to hold onto the ball more securely.

I want to see Penny change and become more violent with his running or the running game in Penny's hands will be an imitation of last season's toothless game when Penny is in the game. I prefer Carson to Penny at present.

The team needs a FB that can actually, you know, block.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Seymour":45ns46xi said:
xray":45ns46xi said:

Carson was averaging 7 ypc and was "leaping tall players in a single bound", so to say the run wasn't working is way off base.

Actually, Carson's YPC is overstating how effective he actually was as a runner.

Carson runs:

3rd and 16 @ SEA 10: 10 yard rush
1st and 10 @ SEA 5: 24 yard rush (success!)
1st and 10 @ SEA 42: 2 yard rush
2nd and 3 @ SEA 33: 7 yard rush + FUMBLE (run would've been a success if not for the fumble)
2nd and 10 @ DEN 23: 3 yard rush
1st and 10 @ SEA 36: 3 yard rush
1st and 10 @ SEA 20: 2 yard rush

That's two successful runs by yards and one nullified by the fumble. So only one successful carry.

I do agree he looked much better than Penny, but the truth is, we couldn't run well point blank and that's probably because the OL got dominated.

D

DomeHawk

hawknation2018":2nftq0fn said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1039638601565274112[/tweet]

This is what I was hoping for. It's obvious that Chris is the better back right now and he needs to get carries to get his rhythm. I'm sure that Penny will get some too but this idea of them alternating carries is not working.

sutz

Reaction score
DomeHawk":7firdbbi said:
hawknation2018":7firdbbi said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1039638601565274112[/tweet]

This is what I was hoping for. It's obvious that Chris is the better back right now and he needs to get carries to get his rhythm. I'm sure that Penny will get some too but this idea of them alternating carries is not working.
Hard to argue the logic. Penny is a rookie, so nothing wrong with working him in more slowly. And yes I know he's a 1st Rd pick and should contribute immediately, whateve that means.

Didn't Penny miss quite a bit of the pre-season? Players develop at their own rates.

Seymour

Reaction score
Carson earned more carries....period! The numbers and eye test do not lie. Pete has now confirmed that Carson earned his stripes and we shall see just what that translates to on number of carries.

Good article on NFL.com on this topic here.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...on-chris-carson-he-really-took-the-lead-at-rb

"Rashaad looked a little rusty to me and I visited with him about it. He really only had one good week of practice and coming back and it wasn't enough -- he needed more work and he wasn't as responsive as he has been earlier on before he had to sit out for a while, and so he's got to work real hard to make sure that he is ready to go and we will work him in. We love the chance of getting him in there. We are going to keep looking for it. But Chris really took the lead at that position after that game."

lukerguy

Reaction score
My point with Penny is that he doesn't justify the pick... I'm not saying he will be a bust. He could be an above average back and still not be worth a 1st round pick..

IMO with RBs coming out of every round, and even undrafted, the only way you justify drafting one in the first is if you believe they have the talent to take over a game.

From the very small sample size I've seen of Penny, he doesn't like like he has the skill set to take over a game. Is that unfair or jumping to conclusions?

I mean, undrafted Phillip LIndsay looked way more capable of being a game breaking RB than Penny.

I'm talking about the value of the pick, not assuming he can't be a good RB in the league.. Can I tell that he won't be a GREAT RB, maybe not but the eye in the sky don't lie... he looks very normal.

Seymour

Reaction score
I'm not ready to pass judgement on Penny quite yet. We should have a decent idea on value by game 6-8 or so. That said, he's already eclipsed last years top pick McDouche....so there is that at least.

We are very good at drafting after round 3....before....not so much. We are also poor at drafting both oline and RB when you look back. That is a big reason we are in the position we are in more so than anything else IMO.

sutz

Reaction score
No worries guys. Pete on Penny

While coach Pete Carroll said the two of them are going to continue to split time in the backfield, he made it clear that Carson is the favorite for now.

“Chris I thought looked really good,” Carroll said at Tuesday’s press conference. “He was really aggressive and did what he could with the plays that he had.

“Chris really took the lead at the position after that game.”

Seahawks fans should expect to see both Penny and Carson in the fold next Monday against the Chicago Bears. However, the No. 1 back in Seattle at the moment is Carson, and until Penny steps up it will be Carson’s job to lose.

:snack:

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I think it being the first game and the altitude factor led to Carson not being fed more as the hot hand. After his interview it's pretty clear Pete realized that Carson was doing the better job between the two.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
bbsplitter":2by9w0lf said:
I think it being the first game and the altitude factor led to Carson not being fed more as the hot hand. After his interview it's pretty clear Pete realized that Carson was doing the better job between the two.
If only he could realize these things in game...

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2qyhn0a3 said:
bbsplitter":2qyhn0a3 said:
If only he could realize these things in game...

No that's what I was saying is that I think he did realize it in game, but if the altitude and conditioning was effecting Carson it would have been impossible to do anything about it, besides just run Carson ragged.

Seymour

Reaction score
Somewhere I read the altitude had bad effects on Carson (guys were puking and needed IV's due to heat and altitude) and that was a big reason Penny got more carries then expected. If this is true then Carson is even more superior to Penny then we saw on film. That could be bad news when we talk about our future. :3-1:

Latest posts