Cassius Marsh as TE while Zach Miller is out?

kidhawk

Reaction score
MysterMatt":2dhgjk09 said:
RolandDeschain":2dhgjk09 said:
Delay/interrupt his development to play a little offense for fun?

No thanks.
Agreed. We have better options. I'm intrigued by Gilliam and Bailey can certainly fill the roll as well, although i'd prefer the TE at least be a credible threat to catch a pass.

I'm sure that our number one option is to put Willson out there and see how he does in the blocking scheme. We know he can catch. If he can hold up blocking (which he isn't called on to do as much because of Miller's abilities in that area), then we'll have no worries. They've already used Bailey as an extra blocker in running situations this season, so that won't be anything new there. Honestly I'd be more concerned if we had different opponents coming up, but honestly I think if we had to lose Zach for a few weeks, this was the best time to do it.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
kidhawk":3f2h4791 said:
MysterMatt":3f2h4791 said:
RolandDeschain":3f2h4791 said:

No thanks.
Agreed. We have better options. I'm intrigued by Gilliam and Bailey can certainly fill the roll as well, although i'd prefer the TE at least be a credible threat to catch a pass.

I'm sure that our number one option is to put Willson out there and see how he does in the blocking scheme. We know he can catch. If he can hold up blocking (which he isn't called on to do as much because of Miller's abilities in that area), then we'll have no worries. They've already used Bailey as an extra blocker in running situations this season, so that won't be anything new there. Honestly I'd be more concerned if we had different opponents coming up, but honestly I think if we had to lose Zach for a few weeks, this was the best time to do it.
You said "honestly" twice in one sentence, so clearly you are lying. I think we all know that Bailey has already checked in at TE this season, and I'm certainly not suggesting that Willson won't get the majority of snaps. What I am saying is that his blocking resume isn't impressive regardless of Miller. He is an okay receiver (not much of a factor this season) but if we need a TE to anchor the right side a bit and still maybe peel off to make a catch, Gilliam, to me, is intriguing.

I think you're right that the competition over the next few weeks shouldn't be too intense, but you never know.

kidhawk

Reaction score
MysterMatt":2psfnvae said:
kidhawk":2psfnvae said:
MysterMatt":2psfnvae said:
RolandDeschain":2psfnvae said:

No thanks.

You said "honestly" twice in one sentence, so clearly you are lying. I think we all know that Bailey has already checked in at TE this season, and I'm certainly not suggesting that Willson won't get the majority of snaps. What I am saying is that his blocking resume isn't impressive regardless of Miller. He is an okay receiver (not much of a factor this season) but if we need a TE to anchor the right side a bit and still maybe peel off to make a catch, Gilliam, to me, is intriguing.

I think you're right that the competition over the next few weeks shouldn't be too intense, but you never know.

I never pegged you for a Roland jr with the grammar thing ;)

I do think we'll see some intriguing personnel usage at TE over the next few weeks. I hope they mix it up a bit and don't get too predictable with their personnel and give away run plays vs pass plays.

I do agree that Willson doesn't have a strong resume when it comes to blocking, but I don't really believe he's been called on to do that nearly as much because we have Miller. Now, does that mean he's ready to step up and be that stud blocking TE we'll need with Miller out? I have no idea, but I'm willing to give him the shot to be that "next man up", all the while, keeping guys like Bailey and Gilliam at the ready.

Largent80

Reaction score
The only way Willson will get better at blocking is to play, so this is a good thing while also being not so desirable.

He feels better about the work he has put in to get better, and that is encouraging.

Matt, you are even more dashing when agitated.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1ufk4phl said:
Also, I don't agree with Roland's logic that it will hamstring Marsh's development. Some of the best player's on the team are great because they had countering perspectives. Sherman (CB/WR), Chancellor (S/QB) and Sweezy (G/DT). So, Marsh having a TE background in HS probably has helped him be a better DE in the long-run. So no matter what side of the ball he's on, that perspective is a learning opportunity and a growing experience.
None of what you listed is comparable. You're talking about guys that focused solely on one thing at a time, switching from one, to another. Not working on two completely different things simultaneously at the highest level of play.

Very different, Pandion.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Largent80":1d3gkfe8 said:
The only way Willson will get better at blocking is to play, so this is a good thing while also being not so desirable.

He feels better about the work he has put in to get better, and that is encouraging.

Matt, you are even more dashing when agitated.
True.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2oq8o0sf said:
This is dumb.

Luke Wilson will get his chance to perform plain and simple. We arnt in such dire straits that we are putting a defensive player at TE.

It's not about supplanting Willson, it's about who plays in the 2 TE sets that we run so well out of, and who gives us versatility in said sets to be able to catch a pass and catch the defense with their pants down.

Gilliam is a good option, but at 306 is he fast enough and can he get off the ground enough to create a mismatch with an NFL linebacker ?

We know Marsh is physical; he goes up against OLmen and so far he's done well, especially for a rookie. He's very aggressive and, coupled with his physicality, is probably a better option than Helfet.

Like someone else said, he's an important part of the pass rush rotation. Rotation. It's not like we're pulling a starter. I can't believe there's this much hand wringing in what amounts to 10 snaps or less a game.

Smellyman

Reaction score
I've seen Willson block on the first level, get downfield (waaay downfield) and continue to own people. I've seen him miss too.

I've seen the same with Miller.

Can't wait to see Willson play more, he can open up the offense even more.