Cause of Broncos offense struggle identified by John63

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
So do you think Ciara and Taylor sit in the same booth? lol That would be interesting.
Ciera doesn't live in same universe as Taylor. Taylor literally affects economics worldwide wherever she goes or does. Ever notice she never asks for attention or never in the news beyond she showed up here? And if Mother Kelce likes you that is just much as if Mahomes parents like you if not more.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
So you're saying at least two thirds of the starting QBs in the NFL need new gigs?
No just RW. I'm getting ok with another year of Geno if they finally draft a real qotf hopefully something like Rattler if possible.

Last edited:

olyfan63

Reaction score
You mean the second half of 2015. Wilson in 2015 second half was considered one of the greatest statistic performance in NFL history. He had like 25TDs to 1int in that stretch. Rating over 135
You are correct, my bad, which accidentally makes my point, lol, it's been soooooooo loooooooooonnnnnngggggggg since he's been that guy that I can't remember when he was.
Which year was it that Russell lit up the stat sheet the first half of the year, was in the thick of the MVP conversation, and then tailed off?
Some of my fondest memories of Russell carrying the team are the win over Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers, and also the (38-31, IIRC) win over a young Patrick Mahomes in 2018 on Monday night in the battle of the gunslingers.

It seemed to me that more teams started to "figure out" how to defend Russell effectively as his career went along, though only a few teams (e.g., Rams) truly had the personnel to pull it off consistently.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Or 2017, Russell Wilson, Seahawks Stun Deshaun Watson, Texans in 41-38 Shootout.

strohmin

Reaction score
You mean the second half of 2015. Wilson in 2015 second half was considered one of the greatest statistic performance in NFL history. He had like 25TDs to 1int in that stretch. Rating over 135
It was the first half of 2015. He was not that good in the second half.

balakoth

Reaction score
John63 has a lot of blaming to do tonight after this one...guessing dangerwich not at fault
That was a laugh fest... Defense finally stood up while still giving up 300 in the air and WIlson couldn't do diddly crap against a real defense.. imagine that

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
John63 has a lot of blaming to do tonight after this one...guessing dangerwich not at fault

Can't blame defense.
Can't blame special team.

Running game was effective, including Wilson, but can blame Payton didn't call enough running plays.
WRs sucked, blame them for not getting open, and not making that extra effort to play RussBall.
TEs were mediocre, blame them for not making the extra effort.
OL wasn't terrible, but blame them anyways.
Playing calling? blame blame blame.

I suspect john63 may have to double down on Goodbyes to keep his narratives going.

Lagartixa

Reaction score

I'll be very curious to see what our friend whose handle here means "Fallen R" in Portuguese, and who still has Wilson as his avatar, will have to say. Of course, I don't think we'll be seeing him around here for a couple of days.

By the way, I just checked the Broncos board, and "Deandc" (our pal John63) is indeed blaming the receivers for everything. Man, I hope he and "Fallen R" aren't just bizarre borderline-Wilson-stalker outliers, and specifically, that there are others like them in the Broncos ownership group and front office. I really want the Broncos' decision makers to keep thinking (or hoping) that Wilson isn't a huge part of the problem for as long as possible.

Last edited:

Lagartixa

Reaction score
The $154M man's passer rating in last night's game: 46.6
That's especially hilarious because the Russellettes around here love to cite his passer rating as evidence that he's actually playing well this season.
His QBR in last night's game: 10.1.

The QBR of a quarterback who simply spiked the ball on every play would be 39, almost four times RW3-and-out's QBR in last night's game. Yikes.

To be fair, I should mention that RW3-and-out only had two of his signature three-and-out drives, but he did throw two interceptions too. Here's what happened on the Broncos' offensive drives last night:
  1. Nine plays, 34 yards, turnover on downs
  2. Two plays, 18 yards, interception
  3. Six plays, 19 yards, punt
  4. Three-and-out, 5 yards, punt
  5. Three-and-out, 5 yards, punt (yes, two drives in a row like that)
  6. Six plays, 47 yards, interception
  7. Eight plays, 28 yards, punt
  8. Six plays, 61 yards, TD
  9. Two plays, 1 yard, fumble

Hawker

Reaction score
Welp, what a far cry from the high-scoring affair most had expected from both sides. Especially bad for those of us in 14-man leagues who have been starting Wilson (his fantasy numbers this year were pretty good, QB8 on the season, by most metrics). Ouch.

With the extra time to prepare for their next game, it could very well be 27-year-old Stidham time. I believe his only start was last year for the Raiders (versus the 49ers) and he took them into overtime, 300+ yards, etc. etc. Career backup to Cam Newton & Mac Jones in NE, then Carr's backup in LV. (a little background on Stidham)

keasley45

Reaction score
John63 / DeanDC -

That dude. If my mom loved me as much as John loves Russ, I might have amounted to something.

I'd wager if every receiver on the team ran perfect routes and Russ still struggled, he'd blame it on the offense not being built arounod a qb who excels when the wr's 'improvise' and break from the designed play... because the coach should know that thats what Russ is accustomed to... and perfection is in fact, a problem.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The $154M man's passer rating in last night's game: 46.6
That's especially hilarious because the Russellettes around here love to cite his passer rating as evidence that he's actually playing well this season.
His QBR in last night's game: 10.1.

The QBR of a quarterback who simply spiked the ball on every play would be 39, almost four times RW3-and-out's QBR in last night's game. Yikes.

To be fair, I should mention that RW3-and-out only had two of his signature three-and-out drives, but he did throw two interceptions too. Here's what happened on the Broncos' offensive drives last night:
  1. Nine plays, 34 yards, turnover on downs
  2. Two plays, 18 yards, interception
  3. Six plays, 19 yards, punt
  4. Three-and-out, 5 yards, punt
  5. Three-and-out, 5 yards, punt (yes, two drives in a row like that)
  6. Six plays, 47 yards, interception
  7. Eight plays, 28 yards, punt
  8. Six plays, 61 yards, TD
  9. Two plays, 1 yard, fumble
When you break it down like that I won't be surprised if Wilson is benched on their bye week.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
John63 / DeanDC -

That dude. If my mom loved me as much as John loves Russ, I might have amounted to something.

I'd wager if every receiver on the team ran perfect routes and Russ still struggled, he'd blame it on the offense not being built arounod a qb who excels when the wr's 'improvise' and break from the designed play... because the coach should know that thats what Russ is accustomed to... and perfection is in fact, a problem.

Fans too often compartmentalize the cause and effect part of sports.

The cause of Russ's receivers, O-line, defense, etc not playing well since he got there is a direct result of not respecting and now not wanting to put forth 100% effort for a QB they don't respect or think they need to play hard for.

The effect is lazy route running, poor blocking and a defensive unit that's pretty much given up trying cause they have ZERO faith in their QB.

Football is 50% talent and 50% effort and will. You lose half the equation?, and I give you the 2022 and 2023 Denver Broncos.

NINEster

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. I think that team is a disaster and currently he's probably the least of their problems. He's putting up some good numbers and remember its the first year in a complicated system with Payton as well.

I agree he's not 2012-2020 Wilson who I still say was a top 3 guy during that period and at times even higher but I think he's been pertty decent.

Either way its going to be interesting the rest of the way and people who love him or hate him are going to have some priors confirmed and be able to rub it in lol. Just have a feeling it either falls apart or Wilson has a really good year.

Here's where you're wrong.

Wilson was never top 3, even if his stats might've suggested it....like leading the league in TD passes, which for him is a misleading stat.....because when you typically lead the league in TD passes, your offense looks like a machine, not disjointed. I think the only time the Seahawks were a real offense under Wilson was 2012 when him and Kap benefitted from what Shanahan was doing with RG3. From 2013, it was never easily sailing for these QBs.

If Wilson was top 3, then Purdy is #1 right now by that very same metric, easily, 100% without fail. Why wouldn't he be?

He certainly had a few top skills, but all they did was mask the QB you see now. And Carroll made sure that Wilson would function at the level he did in Seattle, in a way these other coaches cannot because they're under the impression Wilson could play the position traditionally.

Once Lockett and Metcalf settled in, they allowed Wilson's deep ball to truly shine. But it was never enough when the good defenses in January got to him.

keasley45

Reaction score
Here's where you're wrong.

Wilson was never top 3, even if his stats might've suggested it....like leading the league in TD passes, which for him is a misleading stat.....because when you typically lead the league in TD passes, your offense looks like a machine, not disjointed. I think the only time the Seahawks were a real offense under Wilson was 2012 when him and Kap benefitted from what Shanahan was doing with RG3. From 2013, it was never easily sailing for these QBs.

If Wilson was top 3, then Purdy is #1 right now by that very same metric, easily, 100% without fail. Why wouldn't he be?

He certainly had a few top skills, but all they did was mask the QB you see now. And Carroll made sure that Wilson would function at the level he did in Seattle, in a way these other coaches cannot because they're under the impression Wilson could play the position traditionally.

Once Lockett and Metcalf settled in, they allowed Wilson's deep ball to truly shine. But it was never enough when the good defenses in January got to him.

All of this. Russ is once in a lifetime remarkable for having achieved what he did with the limitations he had. But claiming he was the 'best' or one of... a comp in auto racing is having a car or cars that are extraordinarily well balanced in turns, straights, accelerating and breaking... pinpoint accurate, fast, and easy to setup. Then , you have a car that finishes among that group simply because it has great braking and top end speed. But it isn't balanced, isn't predictable, not as reliable quick, and difficult to troubleshoot . But it wins a bunch of races and despite how hard it is to finish in the top 5, it does so in spectacular fashion, nipping better cars at the line.

Until, one of the few strengths that it has, begins to fail.

When that happens, the wheels come off quickly. That's Russ.

A guy who was sustained by a handful of outstanding traits, but as his trump card left him, so did his game.

olyfan63

Reaction score
It was the first half of 2015. He was not that good in the second half.

Incorrect....
This view presents the games in reverse chronological order, from most recent to least recent. I also made that same mistake the first time I looked at this page.
So it was in fact the 2nd half of 2015 where Russell got hot, starting on 11/22/2015 vs 49ers and continuing from there.