Chip Kelly For OC

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Bobblehead":37r0veji said:
No no..I couldn't stand watching our offense, bob up and down, look around, shake the ground, before the hike.
Yeah, that would drive me nuts.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Kelly's scheme is the exact opposite of what Carroll wants to do on offense. He runs an up tempo offense that forces the D to spend a lot of time on the field, I would say there is zero chance he would even ever be considered.

Mccoy would also be at the top of my list if Bev were to get a HC job. Very good game planner, values balance, and knows how to feature his star players.

Another name I thought of was Kubiak. I understand he just retired for health reasons, but the stress of being HC is entirely different than being OC. If Bev were to get a HC job and Cable were to stay, the zone blocking scheme is staying. Kubiak is a zone blocking scheme OC and is known for is zone running game and play action off of it. It would be a good marriage with Cable and I would have a lot of confidence they would get the run game turned around. Russ would thrive in his system.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2zgdrlq7 said:
Bobblehead":2zgdrlq7 said:
No no..I couldn't stand watching our offense, bob up and down, look around, shake the ground, before the hike.
Yeah, that would drive me nuts.

I know what you mean.

[youtube]iZinb6rVozc[/youtube]

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Chip would not fit under PC's philosophy.

Pete talks about keeping a balanced offense.
And to Bevells credit he has been very good at counting plays and trying to hit those magic numbers. On 710 Brock Huard talked about the magic number of 50 offensive plays and near 25 run to 25 pass ratio as goals for this offense. No doubt it is a recipe for many wins but at times it acts as a governor for this potentially explosive offense too--just as it did in Minnesota under Bevell.

The balanced playcalling is great when it works to create an unpredictable attack and keep defenses off balance. It is a recipe for success if you have a strong running game to gain TOP. Unfortunately playcounting can make offenses very predictable when you play conservative. Also playcounting can distract from good situational playcalling. That's probably why we see more creativity and play to our strengths when we are not in the game managing/playcounting mode.

I don't hate Bevell but just find his playcalling frustrating much of the time. I had hoped Bevell would become a much better situational playcaller given the coaching talent and player talent he worked with in GB, MN and Seattle. He hasn't shown much improvement in ability to call plays quicker or to make adjustments on the fly even after all these years as OC of championship caliber teams.
To be honest, Bevell can become a good head coach similar to Holmgren who scripted drives and often counted plays too. IIRC his ratio of run:pass was different.

Threedee

Reaction score
pcbball12":2ebqqult said:
Kelly's scheme is the exact opposite of what Carroll wants to do on offense. He runs an up tempo offense that forces the D to spend a lot of time on the field, I would say there is zero chance he would even ever be considered.

Well, our current offense already does that. I don't think Kelly offers anything to the NFL because he ported over his Oregon offense and proved it doesn't work. I would have liked Trestman or Roman, but, the McCoy is probably better.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
pcbball12":1z6wft05 said:

Mccoy would also be at the top of my list if Bev were to get a HC job. Very good game planner, values balance, and knows how to feature his star players.

Another name I thought of was Kubiak. I understand he just retired for health reasons, but the stress of being HC is entirely different than being OC. If Bev were to get a HC job and Cable were to stay, the zone blocking scheme is staying. Kubiak is a zone blocking scheme OC and is known for is zone running game and play action off of it. It would be a good marriage with Cable and I would have a lot of confidence they would get the run game turned around. Russ would thrive in his system.
Wouldn't mind either guy but Kelly-Hell no!

Fade

Reaction score
Kelly spreads defenses out to run, not to pass. So he is a philosophical fit in that sense. Everything else though he is not a fit for Pete.

I think he would work masterfully with RW, but Pete has to protect his defense so it's not happening.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up next. I could see him in NE if Josh McDaniels leaves, if Chip wants to stay in the NFL.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I'd love Chip Kelly, because I hope our defense is completely dead by November.

:sarcasm_on:

Chip will wind up in college after a year off IMO. I don't really buy the Patriots rumors at all.. but that would be the only NFL job I can see him getting any time soon. But ultimately I think he is coaching a decent/good college team in 2018, maybe sooner if a surprise NFL hire comes from the college ranks (a David Shaw, Brian Kelly, etc)

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
For what it's worth, under Chip Kelly, Kaepernick in the redzone threw 13 touchdowns, 0 interceptions, and had a 115 passer rating.