Chip Kelly hired by sf

Jville

Reaction score
^^^ I saw that. We've got some rich theater going on down there. It's like Hollywood north.

And .... the spin has already started .... "all the head coach candidates had red flags"

And these controlled information releases sound familiar ......... [tweet]https://twitter.com/MBachCSN/status/687729293686784001[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/687776845312360448[/tweet]

I have little doubt that there are those in their intended audience that think the asking price of their PSL seats just tripled ... the more things change the more things stay the same ... LOL

DavidSeven

Reaction score
From Sheil Kapadia, who covered the Eagles for ESPN during Chip's tenure until 2015 (when he started covering the Seahawks):

In 2015, the Eagles ran an offensive play once every 22.21 seconds, the fastest in the NFL. Yet the offense ranked 26th in efficiency. There has been a narrative that Kelly was a good coach, but a bad GM. The truth is, that was not the case in 2015. The offense was a disaster. The Eagles' 67 turnovers in the past two seasons were the most in the NFL.

When the tempo works, it can be breathtaking. When it doesn't, it paralyzes other aspects of the team. The Eagles' defense was on the field for 1,148 snaps last season, tops in the league. The team that played the fewest was the Seattle Seahawks: 947. That's a difference of 201 snaps, roughly three games' worth.

Maybe that was a reason why the Eagles fell apart in 2014, going 1-3 down the stretch. They again played poorly in December this season, missing out on the playoffs for the second straight year.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
This bums me out, I'm sure a large part of the higher was due to experience vs. Pete Carroll. Good higher for them as far as beating the seahawks.

drdiags

Reaction score
As a glass half-full guy, I think Kelly can win in the NFL. I don't remember the Eagles being that good on defense before he got there but if the 9ers can put together a defense that can ride with his high-tempo offense he may yet recoup those genius titles folks were throwing at his feet a few years ago.

Interesting discussion about whether Gabbert or Kap would be his choice at QB or does he nudge the FO to go after Bradford?

I will refrain from joining in on the laugh parade and give him the benefit of a doubt. His DC and staff will be a big hire. Those guys will have to be stifling to keep his team from having to pay for the sins of his offensive pace.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2jqrfdbj said:
Well at least there's not much in the way of talent for Kelly to divest the team of.

Welcome to the NFC West Chipper.

-bsd
He did a pretty good job of that himself in Philly.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3frsqa89 said:
TorontoHawk":3frsqa89 said:
He should have went back to college where he belongs, I think it has been proven his gimmick offence does not work in the NFL, and his player management is crap.

Kelly's arrogance and stubbornness will be his undoing.
Agree, some guys just aren't cut out for the pros and should stay in college ball.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I'd bet SF had a similar thread when we hired Pete. I bet he turns them around a lot faster than the Rams get turned into a winner.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
CPHawk":jv01we7w said:
I'd bet SF had a similar thread when we hired Pete. I bet he turns them around a lot faster than the Rams get turned into a winner.

The thread was actually created by a Seahawks fan who adores Chip Kelly.

Chip Kelly is not Pete Carroll.

CPHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":edwxdqvl said:
CPHawk":edwxdqvl said:

Put him at SC, and he would have had the same success. Don't lie to yourself.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
CPHawk":2gzsh9zj said:
That will depend on how long Jeff "7-9" Fisher stays as coach.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
CPHawk":1hwuwsby said:
hawknation2015":1hwuwsby said:
CPHawk":1hwuwsby said:

Put him at SC, and he would have had the same success. Don't lie to yourself.

Lets not play "what if's," which are very easy to lie with because they are conditional and thus unprovable. Carroll actually won National Championships, something Kelly has never accomplished.

Carroll had seven-consecutive years of Top 4 finishes. He has competed for Super Bowls for four-consecutive years (and counting) with the Seahawks. Kelly has never shown that level of sustainability: at Oregon or Philadelphia. His philosophy puts enormous stress on his defenses, and his personality tends to clash with others.

IMO, the Seahaks were in worse shape in 2010 than the 49ers are in now. No more "what it's," It's put up or SHUT UP time for Chip Kelly.

chris98251

Reaction score
Curious to see how Chip handles defenses in the NFC West, this isn't the Cowboys, Giants, and Redskins, all three teams leave a mark on you when they hit you.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Arians, Pete, Kelly. At least the pressers won't be boring.