Chip Kelly hired by sf

sc85sis

Reaction score
CPHawk":28uxwx5d said:
hawknation2015":28uxwx5d said:
CPHawk":28uxwx5d said:
I'd bet SF had a similar thread when we hired Pete. I bet he turns them around a lot faster than the Rams get turned into a winner.

The thread was actually created by a Seahawks fan who adores Chip Kelly.

Chip Kelly is not Pete Carroll.

Put him at SC, and he would have had the same success. Don't lie to yourself.
Maybe. Maybe not. USC hadn't been good for quite a while before Pete arrived. Three coaches turned that job down before Pete got it. The general consensus was that USC would never again be a football power.

There also has been major resistance to the idea of ever running a more spread-option or read-option type offense at 'SC. Sark's attempt to speed things up and go mostly shotgun was possibly as close as it will get any time soon.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
CPHawk":6u0r8uck said:
hawknation2015":6u0r8uck said:
CPHawk":6u0r8uck said:
I'd bet SF had a similar thread when we hired Pete. I bet he turns them around a lot faster than the Rams get turned into a winner.

Or give him Russell Wilson and he'd be in the playoffs in Philly, and Seattle would be sitting at home.

Fade

Reaction score
I see Jed York is mimicking his idol Dan Snyder. This is the Steve Spurrier faze.

Sac

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":mp4p1e70 said:
Fade":mp4p1e70 said:
I see Jed York is mimicking his idol Dan Snyder. This is the Steve Spurrier faze.
I literally LOL'd.
When I did first heard the news at work, I busted up laughing. My coworkers asked what was so funny, I told them, they got sad, and I laughed even harder.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
That's a mind-blowing statistic about how the Eagle's defense under Kelly essentially played the equivalent of 3 additional football games during the regular season with the same amount of time off when compared to the Seahawks. Granted this is with his offense drastically under-performing and making the issue considerably worse. Still, it seems to suggest the major risk of his system (wrecking his own defense over the duration of a season) is not outweighed by the major benefits (being able to score more quickly). He's an innovator, sure, but maybe he's the kind of innovator who is more inclined to invent for the sake of doing something differently rather than more optimally. Next season will be interesting to see how he has adapted to his mistakes, particularly when York and Balke ought to be doing the same.

Barakas

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3jjcaq1j said:
CPHawk":3jjcaq1j said:
hawknation2015":3jjcaq1j said:
CPHawk":3jjcaq1j said:

Or give him Russell Wilson and he'd be in the playoffs in Philly, and Seattle would be sitting at home.

Would Kelly have drafted and started Wilson over the newly acquired, and expensive, Matt Flynn. That's the true question and one that PC didn't get nearly enough credit for.

canfan

Reaction score
DavidSeven":5eflzkju said:
What would the reaction be like in SF if this happened?

Former prez with the Eagles:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JoeBanner13/status/687735755024642048[/tweet]

Haven't read the whole thread, but has anybody considered that Blaine Gabbert comes out of a spread system, actually has a comparable 40 time to Kaepernick and a better touch on short and intermediate passes? I'm not so sure Kaep is a shoo in for the job under Chip. Wouldn't dust off my #7 jersey just yet if I was a 49er fan - at least not until I see what happens in OTA's and training camp.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
canfan":wehkgau0 said:
DavidSeven":wehkgau0 said:

Haven't read the whole thread, but has anybody considered that Blaine Gabbert comes out of a spread system, actually has a comparable 40 time to Kaepernick and a better touch on short and intermediate passes? I'm not so sure Kaep is a shoo in for the job under Chip. Wouldn't dust off my #7 jersey just yet if I was a 49er fan - at least not until I see what happens in OTA's and training camp.
Kearly has already speculated as such somewhere on these boards. I hadn't thought of that, but I think you're both onto something.

NINEster

Reaction score
You guys are speculating way too much that this will be 2015 Eagles West.

If Kelly took over for Pete Carroll, would you think the Hawks would be a cellar dwellar right away? You think the defense would turn to garbage?

I think Kelly will take a look at his schemes and adjust accordingly. Everybody here is critiquing the offensive tempo but not the scheme itself, and also whether the players themselves are culpable for the failure.

If Kelly runs his offense at league average speed, then what?

People here like to overrate Wilson, Rawls, Lynch, Baldwin, etc. and underrate their OL and OC. When I see undrafted WRs getting wide open on quick reads, I'm supposed to believe it's their HoF QB doing it all by himself?

I'm still waiting to see who Kelly brings in at DC and staff.....if he brings in a Pettine or Ray Horton, it could be exciting.

The Niners are still a defensive team and still a running team, which gets lost in the entire Chip Kelly saga. His biggest offensive stat I believe was YPC in the run game, which is something the 49ers are in position to do better than many teams (if they can shore up their OL).

And as far as this has to do with the 49er/Seahawk rivalry, I'm sorry but there's no way the 49er offense could be any worse against Seattle than it was under Harbaugh 2014 and Tomsula 2015.

Also, what do we make of Kelly's awesome special teams with Philly? The same one that singlehandledly beat the Patriots several weeks back.

There's no guarantee Kelly comes in an makes the 49ers a playoff team, but to think the Niners are guaranteed to be garbage is typical blind Hawk hate.

Marvin49

Reaction score
canfan":2ju7dm17 said:
DavidSeven":2ju7dm17 said:

Its not lost on anyone in the Bay Area.

While national reporters are all over the Kaepernick story, in reality Chip will have 2 guys who can run his system whereas before he hasn't had any. Most Bay Area reporters are on to that one.

Thats no guarantee of success to be sure, but its a start.

NINEster

Reaction score
Marvin49":2fk6kfr7 said:
canfan":2fk6kfr7 said:
DavidSeven":2fk6kfr7 said:

While national reporters are all over the Kaepernick story, in reality Chip will have 2 guys who can run his system whereas before he hasn't had any. Most Bay Area reporters are on to that one.

I'd imagine a legit open competition between the two QBs and the better one starts.

Kap should absolutely be kept this year to make sure he is or isn't the solution for this team.

Kap & Gabbert together still an affordable deal.

Marvin49

Reaction score
NINEster":2jy14saw said:
Marvin49":2jy14saw said:
canfan":2jy14saw said:
DavidSeven":2jy14saw said:

I'd imagine a legit open competition between the two QBs and the better one starts.

Kap should absolutely be kept this year to make sure he is or isn't the solution for this team.

Kap & Gabbert together still an affordable deal.

Kaps $$$$ isn't that high for a QB and even with that number they STILL have 50 mil in cap room. No need to cut him unless the are in pursuit of a number of big $$$ free agents...which has never been Trents MO.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
CPHawk":2wzcdgtm said:

Pete actually did something in college though....and had actual NFL experience before college.

DB coach 5 years with 2 teams
DC for 5 years with 2 teams
HC for 4 years with 2 teams

At USC pete won 34 straight games

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
sc85sis":12x5clf1 said:
CPHawk":12x5clf1 said:
hawknation2015":12x5clf1 said:
CPHawk":12x5clf1 said:

Maybe. Maybe not. USC hadn't been good for quite a while before Pete arrived. Three coaches turned that job down before Pete got it. The general consensus was that USC would never again be a football power.

There also has been major resistance to the idea of ever running a more spread-option or read-option type offense at 'SC. Sark's attempt to speed things up and go mostly shotgun was possibly as close as it will get any time soon.

Funny thing is USC tried to go after Dennis Erickson, Mike Bellotti, Mike Riley, all before Pete

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
NINEster":r0fa76l4 said:
You guys are speculating way too much that this will be 2015 Eagles West.

If Kelly took over for Pete Carroll, would you think the Hawks would be a cellar dwellar right away? You think the defense would turn to garbage?

I think Kelly will take a look at his schemes and adjust accordingly. Everybody here is critiquing the offensive tempo but not the scheme itself, and also whether the players themselves are culpable for the failure.

If Kelly runs his offense at league average speed, then what?

People here like to overrate Wilson, Rawls, Lynch, Baldwin, etc. and underrate their OL and OC. When I see undrafted WRs getting wide open on quick reads, I'm supposed to believe it's their HoF QB doing it all by himself?

I'm still waiting to see who Kelly brings in at DC and staff.....if he brings in a Pettine or Ray Horton, it could be exciting.

The Niners are still a defensive team and still a running team, which gets lost in the entire Chip Kelly saga. His biggest offensive stat I believe was YPC in the run game, which is something the 49ers are in position to do better than many teams (if they can shore up their OL).

And as far as this has to do with the 49er/Seahawk rivalry, I'm sorry but there's no way the 49er offense could be any worse against Seattle than it was under Harbaugh 2014 and Tomsula 2015.

Also, what do we make of Kelly's awesome special teams with Philly? The same one that singlehandledly beat the Patriots several weeks back.

There's no guarantee Kelly comes in an makes the 49ers a playoff team, but to think the Niners are guaranteed to be garbage is typical blind Hawk hate.

I think the offense would be pretty good..but thats because Russell Wilson is literally THE QB for Chips system...there is nobody better he could find

NINEster

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1lrg7qhp said:
CPHawk":1lrg7qhp said:

Pete actually did something in college though....and had actual NFL experience before college.

DB coach 5 years with 2 teams
DC for 5 years with 2 teams
HC for 4 years with 2 teams

At USC pete won 34 straight games

Pete has an amazing track record, but let's not forget that prior to the Seahawks he was widely considered an NFL bust.

Harbaugh and Kelly have had far superior first NFL HC regimes than Carroll and that's not up for debate (hell you could include Belichick in that too).

Now, this is nothing to say about potential coaching abilities as Carroll and Belichick have rebounded quite nicely and are considered elite head coaches in the NFL. And their work as coordinators were always top notch too.

But let's not forget those early '90s Jets teams or those late '90s Patriots teams.

Maulbert

Reaction score
NINEster":20fery0m said:
But let's not forget those early '90s Jets teams or those late '90s Patriots teams.

Yeah, let's not forget that Pete won 6 games his only season as the head coach of the Jets and was replaced with a guy who only won 4 games over the next 2 seasons. Let's not forget Pete made the playoffs 2 out of 3 years with the Pats and never had a losing season there while having no say in personnel (confirmed by Bob Kraft). Pete's coaching record before he got to Seattle? 33-31. Not great, but people act like he was Marty Morninwheg before he got here.