Chris Petersen is the new Washington coach

DavidSeven

Reaction score
seahawk2k":3khzfflv said:
Seahawks4Ever, I believe that Haden, after interviewing Petersen, decided to go in another direction. Petersen doesn't have the style to fit in LA, Haden knew that, and Petersen did too.

(1) Petersen withdrew his name from consideration for the USC job; (2) the only thing Haden knew was that Petersen didn't really want the USC job and he wasn't going to offer it to a guy who would publicly reject it. Anything that Haden has subsequently said is merely to save face for the program. People who are actually close to Petersen have confirmed that the UW job is the one he wanted. If Petersen showed any legitimate interest in the USC position, Haden would have been all over him.

justafan

Reaction score
"I think Petersen's two biggest assets are his name brand which will help recruiting and his phenomenal track record with developing players for the NFL. The fact that he turned a 6'0", no tools nobody from a remote SE Washington High School into one of college football most prolific ever QBs speaks volumes."

Actually he was one of the most prolific High School QBs in Washington State history from a perennial powerhouse.Probably one of the smartest footrball players I have ever seen play.The kid had tools just not NFL tools.
Peterson did a good job of coaching him but Peterson was lucky to have him.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
This is the only Washington hire that scares J.

Maybe you can get Blount to come back to the O and teach the team how to hit harder.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
DavidSeven":13qmqvbn said:
seahawk2k":13qmqvbn said:
Seahawks4Ever, I believe that Haden, after interviewing Petersen, decided to go in another direction. Petersen doesn't have the style to fit in LA, Haden knew that, and Petersen did too.

(1) Petersen withdrew his name from consideration for the USC job; (2) the only thing Haden knew was that Petersen didn't really want the USC job and he wasn't going to offer it to a guy who would publicly reject it. Anything that Haden has subsequently said is merely to save face for the program. People who are actually close to Petersen have confirmed that the UW job is the one he wanted. If Petersen showed any legitimate interest in the USC position, Haden would have been all over him.

Rumors around Boise say that Petersen didn't want the exposure required at USC. Things like open practices and hosting a radio show multiple times a week etc. I know here in Boise we had a weekly BSU football show on in the evening but it was hosted by someone and they would just interview Petersen for a few minutes. Very minimal media requirement for him. If I could find it there was an interview Petersen did on cbs sports I think where someone asked him his least favorite part of coaching and he said it was talking to the media. He just wants to coach, not do the rest of the job.

Subzero717

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":1htbl3f7 said:
DavidSeven":1htbl3f7 said:
seahawk2k":1htbl3f7 said:

Rumors around Boise say that Petersen didn't want the exposure required at USC. Things like open practices and hosting a radio show multiple times a week etc. I know here in Boise we had a weekly BSU football show on in the evening but it was hosted by someone and they would just interview Petersen for a few minutes. Very minimal media requirement for him. If I could find it there was an interview Petersen did on cbs sports I think where someone asked him his least favorite part of coaching and he said it was talking to the media. He just wants to coach, not do the rest of the job.

The coach can have open or closed practices if they wish. One of the first things Kiffin did was close practices. Heck he even took away desserts. As far as radio I know Kiffin did a weekly gig. I don't know of any other mandatory commitments he would have had. It didn't work for whatever reason.

hawk45

Reaction score
Perfect ending for Dawgs fans. This hire proves that the UW program was capable of upgrading from Sark, but they probably wouldn't have gone all out to do so if Sark hadn't left and we'd have been stuck with him for another year or two based on his feeble improvement by a lousy one win this year.

However the talent on the team IS better, Sark did accomplish that despite being ill-equipped to do anything with it, and the program is well-poised now that they have a guy who has shown he can compete against Pac-12 teams with inferior talent.

So thank you Sark for your efforts to get us off the mat, and for going away once you'd reached your ceiling here.

jkitsune

Reaction score
hawk45":2mz2jpuo said:
Perfect ending for Dawgs fans. This hire proves that the UW program was capable of upgrading from Sark, but they probably wouldn't have gone all out to do so if Sark hadn't left and we'd have been stuck with him for another year or two based on his feeble improvement by a lousy one win this year.

However the talent on the team IS better, Sark did accomplish that despite being ill-equipped to do anything with it, and the program is well-poised now that they have a guy who has shown he can compete against Pac-12 teams with inferior talent.

So thank you Sark for your efforts to get us off the mat, and for going away once you'd reached your ceiling here.

Well-put. Grateful for how much he improved the program, grateful that we (probably) upgraded. Obviously time will tell in the end, but for me the biggest positive about Petersen other than the obvious one (his track record) is that his pattern suggests that he will be here for the rest of his career if we want him. If he has any reasonable success at all, he could easily be here 10-20 years.

Edit: To finish the thought, this is in contrast to Sark, who I think would have eventually left for USC (or another big-name program) regardless of his success here. That has always been his home.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Brother's wife is a UW alum...brother is a WSU alum. THey are headed to WSU today for his boy's graduation. I am an alum of something with my associates degree. My last classes were from BSU tho. I count my brother's degree as alumni...so I choose WSU. What a stickywicket I am involved in. LOL

seahawk2k

Reaction score
justafan":2kdwqvxr said:
"I think Petersen's two biggest assets are his name brand which will help recruiting and his phenomenal track record with developing players for the NFL. The fact that he turned a 6'0", no tools nobody from a remote SE Washington High School into one of college football most prolific ever QBs speaks volumes."

Actually he was one of the most prolific High School QBs in Washington State history from a perennial powerhouse.Probably one of the smartest footrball players I have ever seen play.The kid had tools just not NFL tools.

Truth. Moore ran a legit shotgun spread offense all the way to the state title game before running into a stud named Jake Locker. He eviscerated a Bellevue High squad that had won the last three state titles and had numerous d-1 players on the roster.

What kills me about Kellen Moore is he and his dad(I believe Prosser's coach) went to with his tape to see if he could get a scholarship offer. WSU said thanks but no thanks, we've got our quarterback, Marshall Lobbestall. Damn. On the flip side, Paul Wulff would've just f'd him up.

Atradees

Reaction score
hawk45":rz4meohk said:

I agree with this sentiment. The Huskies are more interesting to me now. They have a possibility that is as high as a national championship.

The Ducks are possibly headed for a downtrend for a few years. Maybe I just became a Huskies fan-I have lived in Seattle since 07 and it would be easier to attend the games now.

drrew

Reaction score
seahawk2k":1mg9s0zv said:
Truth. Moore ran a legit shotgun spread offense all the way to the state title game before running into a stud named Jake Locker. He eviscerated a Bellevue High squad that had won the last three state titles and had numerous d-1 players on the roster.

What kills me about Kellen Moore is he and his dad(I believe Prosser's coach) went to with his tape to see if he could get a scholarship offer. WSU said thanks but no thanks, we've got our quarterback, Marshall Lobbestall. Damn. On the flip side, Paul Wulff would've just f'd him up.

It's worth pointing out that Petersen wasn't initially sold on Moore either. It was actually Justin Wilcox who was focused on him, and the legend is that Wilcox went to Petersen and was so confident in Moore that he offered to give up one of his defensive scholarships if Moore didn't pan out.

dutchcoug

Reaction score
Fast forward two years and UW fans will be calling for him to be fired. The way of mutt fan...

Subzero717

Reaction score
dutchcoug":1t150f59 said:
Fast forward two years and UW fans will be calling for him to be fired. The way of mutt fan...

That's the the realization you eont compeye with us for another decade talking.

HawkWow

Reaction score
dutchcoug":3m9emc65 said:

LOL. Way to COUG your attempted cheapshot.

Dawg fans are after more than the 0-12 season Willingham gave us, the 7 win seasons Sark gave us and certainly the 6 win season Leach has your fan base peeing themselves over. We've upped our standards, so up yours.

chris98251

Reaction score
dutchcoug":1wboi85r said:

I lost count, how many Coaches at WSU since Price left?

kearly

Reaction score
justafan":yr4uf8c4 said:

Moore was a 3 star recruit, though I guess that makes him 1 star better than Keith Price and Russell Wilson were.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
HawkWow":18nf6mna said:
dopeboy206":18nf6mna said:
HawkWow":18nf6mna said:
JSeahawks":18nf6mna said:
Good hire. If I were a Husky fan he would have been my first choice.

IF ??

He's not a Husky fan

Don't let him fool ya'. Everyone loves a champion.

My memory is not good enough to consider University Washington as a champion in anything except rowing.

Latest posts