Circumventing the salary cap

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
rideaducati":191ukoc9 said:
I have thought the pats were somehow paying Brady off the books for a while, but then I see that Brady's wife makes $40 million per year. I still think there is something shady going on, but it's plausible that Tawmy took less so others could be signed.

Well Brady runs a company that operates out of the spare locker room areas in treating injuries to Patriots players. So he's employed by the Patriots, but the Patriots pay Brady's company for treating their injured players. Seems fair enough

Rex

Reaction score
ringless":214xk360 said:
rideaducati":214xk360 said:
I have thought the pats were somehow paying Brady off the books for a while, but then I see that Brady's wife makes $40 million per year. I still think there is something shady going on, but it's plausible that Tawmy took less so others could be signed.

Well Brady runs a company that operates out of the spare locker room areas in treating injuries to Patriots players. So he's employed by the Patriots, but the Patriots pay Brady's company for treating their injured players. Seems fair enough

It might not be as shady as you suspect. Perhaps Mrs. Brady owns the company? :lol:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Here's an article CBS Sports did on Brady's contracts

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... e-contract

IMO Brady's the exception, and not something that other players or the NFLPA would be down with if let's say 40% of the league started trying to do to circumvent the cap.

Fact is players love money, a LOT of it. So for enough players and teams to try to do what the Pats and Brady are doing isn't something we need to worry about.

Brady's on his what, 3rd or 4th BIG deal? So it's not like he hasn't already made hundreds of millions.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3snwlq22 said:

IMO Brady's the exception, and not something that other players or the NFLPA would be down with if let's say 40% of the league started trying to do to circumvent the cap.

Fact is players love money, a LOT of it. So for enough players and teams to try to do what the Pats and Brady are doing isn't something we need to worry about.

Brady's on his what, 3rd or 4th BIG deal? So it's not like he hasn't already made hundreds of millions.

Well with the other article is Brady is running a business out of the Patriots locker room that the Patriots pay for. The amounts are unknown, and it seems as if people are starting to question the legal aspect of it in regards to the salary cap.

Whether it is a valid business or not, this would be a pretty awesome thing if they were to conclude that the salary cap had been violated. The punishment for the organization would set them back to the stone age. You'd have to think Bill and Brady would be perma-banned for yet another cocky infraction

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ringless":14f15u6g said:
Sgt. Largent":14f15u6g said:

Well with the other article is Brady is running a business out of the Patriots locker room that the Patriots pay for. The amounts are unknown, and it seems as if people are starting to question the legal aspect of it in regards to the salary cap.

Whether it is a valid business or not, this would be a pretty awesome thing if they were to conclude that the salary cap had been violated. The punishment for the organization would set them back to the stone age. You'd have to think Bill and Brady would be perma-banned for yet another cocky infraction

God I hope so, that would make my century.

Basis4day

Reaction score
You can't discuss Brady's contracts without looking at his wife's income. His financial situation is very unique.

rideaducati

Reaction score
ringless":ks9kb4k6 said:
Sgt. Largent":ks9kb4k6 said:

That smells VERY fishy if it's true. I didn't think active players could have a business affiliation with the NFL, let alone a team that they actively play for. If true, this REEKS of salary cap circumvention.

olyfan63

Reaction score
mikeak":1ifumlkl said:
Don't forget that Brady is not the bread winner in the family......

http://www.forbes.com/sites#/sites/nata ... -the-show/

"Year after year since 2002, Gisele Bundchen has made more money than any other model in the world. At 34, she is still sitting pretty at the top of the world’s highest-paid models list, pulling in an estimated $47 million before taxes and fees in the last 12 months."

You can look at his paycut differently. If you have that much money but love to play the game it is truly worth it to have a better o-line and better receivers and not take a daily beating and get paid less.....

I expect the bolded part to be the truth of the matter.
It's much easier to nail Mrs. Brady after the game if he's not in a full body cast.

Also, remember her meltdown after Brady and the Pats lost to the Giants?
“You [need] to catch the ball when you’re supposed to catch the ball,” she is heard saying. “My husband cannot [expletive] throw the ball and catch the ball at the same time. I can’t believe they dropped the ball so many times.”

Although Bundchen mentioned no names, she almost certainly was referring to wide receiver Wes Welker, who was judged to have made the costliest fourth-quarter drop, along with a missed catch by tight end Aaron Hernandez.

So Gisele probably told Tom he must play for less so the team can afford good players to block for him and catch for him, and she agreed to kick in an extra $10M per year to the family finances. In return, Tom just has to wear a tux and show up at red carpet events. I'd expect that being Mrs. Tom Brady hasn't exactly hurt her career.

rideaducati

Reaction score
olyfan63":2kyk84mn said:
mikeak":2kyk84mn said:
Don't forget that Brady is not the bread winner in the family......

http://www.forbes.com/sites#/sites/nata ... -the-show/

"Year after year since 2002, Gisele Bundchen has made more money than any other model in the world. At 34, she is still sitting pretty at the top of the world’s highest-paid models list, pulling in an estimated $47 million before taxes and fees in the last 12 months."

You can look at his paycut differently. If you have that much money but love to play the game it is truly worth it to have a better o-line and better receivers and not take a daily beating and get paid less.....

I expect the bolded part to be the truth of the matter.
It's much easier to nail Mrs. Brady after the game if he's not in a full body cast.

Also, remember her meltdown after Brady and the Pats lost to the Giants?
“You [need] to catch the ball when you’re supposed to catch the ball,” she is heard saying. “My husband cannot [expletive] throw the ball and catch the ball at the same time. I can’t believe they dropped the ball so many times.”

Although Bundchen mentioned no names, she almost certainly was referring to wide receiver Wes Welker, who was judged to have made the costliest fourth-quarter drop, along with a missed catch by tight end Aaron Hernandez.

So Gisele probably told Tom he must play for less so the team can afford good players to block for him and catch for him, and she agreed to kick in an extra $10M per year to the family finances. In return, Tom just has to wear a tux and show up at red carpet events. I'd expect that being Mrs. Tom Brady hasn't exactly hurt her career.

But........ It is the Patriots. Would anyone REALLY be surprised if they were cheating?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
ringless":1msl3rle said:
Sgt. Largent":1msl3rle said:

Is it supplying air to inflate the footballs??? :stirthepot: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

NINEster

Reaction score
Don't understand the big deal.

You're talking about a very successful older veteran. Tom Brady. It's really that shocking to you that he would do that?

On some level it might raise eye brows if he took vet minimum of $700k, because unless you're a billionaire, you have to get some level of market value (even if you can afford not to).

What I find more surprising is the much less scrutinized Peyton Manning demanding top dollar at his older age despite his plethora of success and off field income. You would think a much professed "good guy" would have gone under the market value to play football in his 50s, no? :mrgreen:

If you want to talk about something that would really raise eyebrows, it would have been Russell Wilson signing a contract averaging $15 million APY instead of the 19-20 he got.

olyfan63

Reaction score
rideaducati":2cdh08yr said:
olyfan63":2cdh08yr said:

But........ It is the Patriots. Would anyone REALLY be surprised if they were cheating?

That's whats' truly skilled about how the Pats yank everyone's chain. Every now and then, they do something that is totally on the level, but looks sketchy, so they can set up others and lure them into making provably inaccurate attacks. Then, when the truth comes out, the Patriots can say, "See! It was all legit and legal. You accusers were wrong again. You always are. We are always honest and above board." and then the Patriots make themselves out to be the victim. Hey, it's how the psychopathic mind rolls.