Clayton just announced that Seahawks sign Austin Davis

chris98251

Reaction score
Well one less unknown Ram QB we have to worry about Kicking our asses.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Very solid pickup. He had a nice year with the Rams a couple years back, has starting experience and by all accounts a good head on his shoulders. I like him better than Boykin already and he likely signed a vet minimum deal. He'll be given a fair chance to win the #2 job.

Boohman14

Reaction score
Meh. He hasn't beaten out Boykin yet. Pete is about competition. If Boykin would just stay out of Texas he would have a better chance at a decent NFL career. We'll see if Pete keeps three QB's this season and if this Davis has the necessary wheels to quarterback the Hawks.

Hotchy

Reaction score
I hate this move. It's a joke. And i could see this pissing off some of the guys in the locker room. Why does every position have competition except Wilson. It's not consistant to have frank clark breathing down Avril and Bennett's neck, while Wilson can just stroll in as the starter, and never lose his starter gig no matter how poorly he plays during the season. And this isnt about CK, its about what a joke Davis is. If Wilson gets hurt, season over.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Seattle was known to have had interest in him when he came out.

Really, this is pretty typical of a no risk training camp body signing. Seattle has a habit of signing guys that they were eying in the draft process that get cut from other teams. We're simply getting a closer look at him. No realistic expectation that we're going to stick with him even halfway through TC (if he makes it that far). Certainly don't expect us to stop bringing QBs in should they become available and at the right price.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Hotchy":2f6yabyn said:
If Wilson gets hurt, season over.

Please post a list of teams that can survive a starting QB injury.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
This move doesn't surprise me given all the stuff surrounding Kaepernick (and yes, the Hawks reported interest in him a few years ago). That said, to me -- Austin Davis is the very definition of a game manager. Personally, I agree with Clayton in saying that as of today ... I give Boykin the inside track at the #2 job.

Seymour

Reaction score
Hotchy":14wy9f4s said:
I hate this move. It's a joke. And i could see this pissing off some of the guys in the locker room. Why does every position have competition except Wilson. It's not consistant to have frank clark breathing down Avril and Bennett's neck, while Wilson can just stroll in as the starter, and never lose his starter gig no matter how poorly he plays during the season. And this isnt about CK, its about what a joke Davis is. If Wilson gets hurt, season over.

I'll take a stab at that.

1) Because it took 36 years and umpteen draft picks to find a true top 10 franchise QB.

2) Because once you have a guy that has proven himself, and excels in the big moment, you use those higher picks to replace more necessary positions.

3) You have one of the most durable QB's in the league, certainly the most durable in one of the better QB draft classes, and you take advantage of the fact he has never missed a game with some gambles that others cannot afford to take.

4) There never was any competition with either player to begin with because of 1-3 listed above and at least 10 other reasons.

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
IMO, the Seahawks decision is based on many factors:

1. Wilson is clearly much better than any of them - Kaepernick, Davis, Boykins.
2. A false narrative that the price for Kaepernick and Davis was the same.
3. The reality that the team has minimal salary cap room when you factor in for injuries - hence concerns with item 2.
4. Concerns that the media and/or locker room would create an unnecessary QB controversy if Wilson had a bad game and/or Kaepernick would be unhappy with a backup role.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":lxx3nluc said:
I don't know who this is. Just what I like in a back up QB.

He beat the Superbowl bound Seahawks in 2014. A game in which Wilson threw for 300 yards and ran for 100 yards.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Think about it this way if Austin Davis was on the team last year would Wilson have hurt his knee in that San Fran game? Davis could have started the Rams and San Fran games and still gone 1-1 like Wilson and this team could have avoided a Wilson injury.