Clayton just announced that Seahawks sign Austin Davis

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
White Devil":1q0c83bh said:
Official numbers for Austin Davis.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/872131468989841408[/tweet]

To me, this says alot about why Austin Davis is a Seahawk and Colin Kaepernick is not. I DO believe that Kaepernick's political views did ultimately factor in the decision, but besides that the contract that Davis signed here says a lot:

1) Just in terms of pure dollars and cents, this deal makes sense. For a team that is looking to be fiscally sound and to manage their cap, this is a great deal for the Hawks. **Mod Edit**

2) Related to #1 is the overarching question, **Mod Edit** In Austin Davis, I think we can pretty much safely say there is very little risk of that happening. Davis has pretty much been a #2 or a #3 QB his whole career, so he knows what his role is. He's just humbled and thrilled to even have the chance to compete for a spot on an NFL roster.

To me, this deal is clearly more to the Seahawks liking. This deal very clearly says that Davis is being brought in to compete for the #2 job and to push Boykin. This deal is about the back-up QB spot - period -- that's it, that's all. That said, in the end, I believe that when the dust settles that Trevon Boykin will be the back-up quarterback come opening day. I just see him as being a far more talented QB that has a lot more upside to him than Davis. Just my .02.

chris98251

Reaction score
Davis could be resigned if they like him reasonably, Kaep would be a one and done situation, would have a lot of attention and not be worth the investment no matter how good he looked or how bad.

Davis was never really given much of a Chance under Fisher, then again who did get much of a chance with the hook always there, guys played tight. I liked his guts and ability when I seen him play us.

I think Davis will help keep Wilson healthier as well, if he beats Boykin out for 2 which I think he will then he can play when Russell is dinged and won't be a huge drop off against lesser teams that we can use other leverage on.

two dog

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1zbrlyad said:
Washington and Doug Williams too.

TBF these are all teams that won Super Bowls after their starting QBs were lost for the year.

The list becomes MUCH, MUCH longer when you include teams that had backups that could keep them in the playoff hunt if there starter had to miss a few games.

Basically, we've got a list of good examples, but I think even the "starter is lost and backup wins the Bowl" story is a little over baked.

The real question I think is are there teams that made the playoffs because their backup was good enough to go above .500 while the starter was on the mend?

That's why teams don't tend to rely on UDFAs and UDFA journeymen who haven't even thrown a pass in a couple years as their primary backups.

Don't forget Earl Morrell who, like Doug Williams, won a Super Bowl with the Colts after Johnny U. got injured.

I honestly think the Seahawks like Boykin for the job but much depends on what is learned from his July 14 hearing.
Davis, it seems to me is not so much a move for experienced backup as a hedge against the Texas judicial system.

I remember really liking Davis when he came out and was disappointed when he went to a division rival.
Boykin, though, has some Russell-like traits that make him somewhat of a wild card for defenses.

Pete seems to think Boykin will be available this season but, to me, that sounds like whirling through the graveyard.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1tyr0ni6 said:
Hotchy":1tyr0ni6 said:
I hate this move. It's a joke. And i could see this pissing off some of the guys in the locker room. Why does every position have competition except Wilson. It's not consistant to have frank clark breathing down Avril and Bennett's neck, while Wilson can just stroll in as the starter, and never lose his starter gig no matter how poorly he plays during the season. And this isnt about CK, its about what a joke Davis is. If Wilson gets hurt, season over.

Yeah lets spend 10 million dollars plus on someone who is unlikely to play.

Now we just make up numbers and throw them out :roll:
Please link to where you got this figure

Josea16

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":1n7dxeep said:
sdog1981":1n7dxeep said:
Hotchy":1n7dxeep said:
If Wilson gets hurt, season over.

Please post a list of teams that can survive a starting QB injury.
New England ... you know bb keeps starters as backups
Like we should of done with ck
Except Keapernick isn't a starter and Garoppolo who knows? Quarterback is the one position nobody can purposely keep a starter level player as a backup it's totally wasted money and a large amount of it in the bargain.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
JTB":1t6xan6a said:
Seanhawk":1t6xan6a said:
sdog1981":1t6xan6a said:
Hotchy":1t6xan6a said:
If Wilson gets hurt, season over.

Please post a list of teams that can survive a starting QB injury.

1990 Giants
1999 Rams
2001 Patriots

Take that.

And in each case, the backup was a relatively unknown who had no track record in the NFL so to speak. Hostetler, Warner, and Brady at those points were more comparable with Boykin and Davis than Kaepernick in terms of NFL experience.
The year Brady went out for the season with a torn ACL in the first half of the first game of the season. Matt Cassel led the team to 11-5, lol.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":1gpn6hqx said:
UK_Seahawk":1gpn6hqx said:
Hotchy":1gpn6hqx said:
I hate this move. It's a joke. And i could see this pissing off some of the guys in the locker room. Why does every position have competition except Wilson. It's not consistant to have frank clark breathing down Avril and Bennett's neck, while Wilson can just stroll in as the starter, and never lose his starter gig no matter how poorly he plays during the season. And this isnt about CK, its about what a joke Davis is. If Wilson gets hurt, season over.

I wasn't speaking about Kaepernick per se just that to me a starting quality QB is going to be in that area cost wise.

I understand that competition is great but it comes at too great a cost. Tyrod Taylor and Matt Glennon are averaging $15m a year according to Over the Cap. The only non rookie starters under that $10m I quoted are Brian Hoyer and Josh McCown and they are around $6m. Why would you tie up so much of the cap space on a player who isn't that great and is likely not going to play? Neither of those guys is going to push Wilson.

Is Brian Hoyer 10x better than Austin Davis because that roughly how much more he costs.

chris98251

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":224sulbb said:
hawksincebirth":224sulbb said:
UK_Seahawk":224sulbb said:
Hotchy":224sulbb said:

I wasn't speaking about Kaepernick per se just that to me a starting quality QB is going to be in that area cost wise.

I understand that competition is great but it comes at too great a cost. Tyrod Taylor and Matt Glennon are averaging $15m a year according to Over the Cap. The only non rookie starters under that $10m I quoted are Brian Hoyer and Josh McCown and they are around $6m. Why would you tie up so much of the cap space on a player who isn't that great and is likely not going to play? Neither of those guys is going to push Wilson.

Is Brian Hoyer 10x better than Austin Davis because that roughly how much more he costs.

No but Luck is 100 times better they Wilson because he was paid more and drafted in the 1st round.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
chris98251":14levaq7 said:
UK_Seahawk":14levaq7 said:
hawksincebirth":14levaq7 said:

No but Luck is 100 times better they Wilson because he was paid more and drafted in the 1st round.

I'm assuming you are sarcastically agreeing with what I am saying? That a players worth isnt always what they are being paid?

Seymour

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1nhyt5yk said:
I'm assuming you are sarcastically agreeing with what I am saying? That a players worth isnt always what they are being paid?

A picture says 1000 words.....

super-bowl-champion.jpg

Payed $526,00 that season.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Luck is a damn good player, and may very well be better than Wilson. But, as far as in the clutch, Wilson hands down is the better QB.

chris98251

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":31okz1ec said:
chris98251":31okz1ec said:
UK_Seahawk":31okz1ec said:
hawksincebirth":31okz1ec said:

Jeff George should be in the HOF as well :) in answer to your question yes.