Clayton just announced that Seahawks sign Austin Davis

Sealake80

Reaction score
Nice move. Happy to have a backup that wont be a huge distraction in the media... and potentially in the locker room.

He is clearly back up potential and at this point that is exactly what we need.

Wilson competes against our D every practice. If he needed a potential starter to push him to be his best they would bring one in. He doesn't need that at this point.

Jville

Reaction score
Seattle's latest Quarterback addition .....
cst6_ek2v2345.jpg

Seattle's roster exempt Quarterback .....
cst_ek2v1731_1.jpg

...... from seahawks.com

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Perfect backup fodder. Has experience in a starter role and big games, has a skillset to not have to change the playbook too much, and from reports has a decent head on his shoulders. Also as has been stated, no drama. Kap is an athletic beast, but is a trainwreck, and I'm not talking at all about his anthem protests. Dude comes to the podium with a dishevelled sweater and his flat brimmed hat on sideways just screaming dbag. Having said that, on the field he made us look like fools several times. I would have really been torn had it gone to kap, but with Davis I could care less.

I like Boykin and think he could be a great backup for us in a year or two. Hopefully he clears waivers.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Hotchy":qtsfrqm7 said:
I hate this move. It's a joke. And i could see this pissing off some of the guys in the locker room. Why does every position have competition except Wilson. It's not consistant to have frank clark breathing down Avril and Bennett's neck, while Wilson can just stroll in as the starter, and never lose his starter gig no matter how poorly he plays during the season. And this isnt about CK, its about what a joke Davis is. If Wilson gets hurt, season over.

Yeah lets spend 10 million dollars plus on someone who is unlikely to play.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":31n2ngu9 said:
Hotchy":31n2ngu9 said:
If Wilson gets hurt, season over.

Please post a list of teams that can survive a starting QB injury.

1990 Giants
1999 Rams
2001 Patriots

Take that.

massari

Reaction score
sdog1981":8rw67qsj said:
Hotchy":8rw67qsj said:

The Seahawks if they signed the player who shall not be named....

brimsalabim

Reaction score
JTB":34usu752 said:
IMO, the Seahawks decision is based on many factors:

1. Wilson is clearly much better than any of them - Kaepernick, Davis, Boykins.
2. A false narrative that the price for Kaepernick and Davis was the same.
3. The reality that the team has minimal salary cap room when you factor in for injuries - hence concerns with item 2.
4. Concerns that the media and/or locker room would create an unnecessary QB controversy if Wilson had a bad game and/or Kaepernick would be unhappy with a backup role.

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
Seanhawk":18gzp9jj said:
sdog1981":18gzp9jj said:
Hotchy":18gzp9jj said:

1990 Giants
1999 Rams
2001 Patriots

Take that.

And in each case, the backup was a relatively unknown who had no track record in the NFL so to speak. Hostetler, Warner, and Brady at those points were more comparable with Boykin and Davis than Kaepernick in terms of NFL experience.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Washington and Doug Williams too.

TBF these are all teams that won Super Bowls after their starting QBs were lost for the year.

The list becomes MUCH, MUCH longer when you include teams that had backups that could keep them in the playoff hunt if there starter had to miss a few games.

Basically, we've got a list of good examples, but I think even the "starter is lost and backup wins the Bowl" story is a little over baked.

The real question I think is are there teams that made the playoffs because their backup was good enough to go above .500 while the starter was on the mend?

That's why teams don't tend to rely on UDFAs and UDFA journeymen who haven't even thrown a pass in a couple years as their primary backups.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3qem0nu2 said:
Hotchy":3qem0nu2 said:
I hate this move. It's a joke. And i could see this pissing off some of the guys in the locker room. Why does every position have competition except Wilson. It's not consistant to have frank clark breathing down Avril and Bennett's neck, while Wilson can just stroll in as the starter, and never lose his starter gig no matter how poorly he plays during the season. And this isnt about CK, its about what a joke Davis is. If Wilson gets hurt, season over.

Yeah lets spend 10 million dollars plus on someone who is unlikely to play.

Even for half that...Name one playoff team last year that had competition at QB.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Popeyejones":12fleapi said:
The real question I think is are there teams that made the playoffs because their backup was good enough to go above .500 while the starter was on the mend?

That's why teams don't tend to rely on UDFAs and UDFA journeymen who haven't even thrown a pass in a couple years as their primary backups.

Patriots just this year went 3-1 with three different back up QBs, 12-4 a few years ago without Brady. Cowboys have dealt without Romo a handful of times. And honestly, it happens quite a bit.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hotchy":1fusu9ju said:

Who would you rather have? Other than the one guy formerly from San Francisco.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
It's seems churlish to throw the UDFA tag at Boykin. His talent is above that it's just he makes awful off the field decisions.

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
I think history shows you that having a good backup who can hold down the fort is not really correlated to the cost or experience of said backup.

I also think that the salary cap is a huge factor in decision making from an overall budgetary standpoint. Right now, the Seahawks have 8.7 M in cap space for the season and still have to cover for IR and practice squads as well as potential in-season extensions for players such as Kam, Graham, or Britt.

That all said, this exercise was never about adding competition for Wilson (like **some** are trying to frame it as now) but competition for Boykins. As such, it's reasonable to expect that their ceiling was the veteran minimum salary. It's also reasonable for the team and player to be aligned on the role.

The issue isn't about what player is better. It's about being right for the role and cost.

White Devil

Reaction score
Official numbers for Austin Davis.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/872131468989841408[/tweet]

MrThortan

Reaction score
That is a pretty good deal for the Seahawks. Austin is serviceable, experienced QB who is not geriatric. I don't know much about the behind the scenes stuff, but I imagine he could be an asset in the QB meeting room as well. Boykin was fun to watch last preseason and the couple downs he got, but it was also nail biting as though he could turn the ball over at any moment. Will see who gets the #2 spot this year.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Read today Davis broke Favre's college records. There must be a bit of something there.

Rat

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2gz0hqr0 said:
Read today Davis broke Favre's college records. There must be a bit of something there.

Favre had a 52% completion percentage in college. I'd hope Davis could at least break that.