Colin Kaepernick for backup quarterback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Largent80

Reaction score
Look at it this way. Houston got rid of their QB (who was/is HORRID) and haven't even considered Krapper.

NINEster

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3n9sko7t said:
Popeyejones":3n9sko7t said:
Sports Hernia":3n9sko7t said:
No thanks. ...and that answer is based on watching his play on the football field alone.

I know Wilson was hurt for part of last year, but Kaepernick was playing on a truly awful team without a weapon in the bunch.

Last year Wilson's qb rating was 92.6 and Kaepernick's was 90.4 (Wilson, Kaepernick, Andy Dalton, Alex Smith, and Tyrod Taylor were all clustered together).

It's obvious that Wilson is MUCH better QB than Kaepernick at this point in their careers, but Kaepernick isn't even good enough to be a backup? C'mon, man. :lol:

It's a huge, huge fall for him but all things being equal he'd still be a top 5-10 backup QB in the NFL if everyone didn't hate him, IMO.
I think you are not factoring in how bad Seattle's offensive line is/was and how hurt RW was all year.
IMHO the stats in that situation are a bit misleading. The posts that follow mine also point out a few flaws of CK.
There is a reason he is still unsigned and only a part of that has to do with kneeling for the NA.

No, it mostly has to do with his politics.

Read the article by Mike Freeman. Kap would have a starting job most likely, even at a reduced price.

If he can't even get a backup job, it strictly is politics.

Turn the Niner hatred off for a second. He would win games with a few stacked teams in this league, easily.

NINEster

Reaction score
Largent80":35ytkwnp said:
Look at it this way. Houston got rid of their QB (who was/is HORRID) and haven't even considered Krapper.

Again, politics.

If/when that subsides he will be a normal QB in the league again.

Ironically I could see the Seahawks being a top 5 landing spot for him giving the similarities to Wilson, the liberal air of the PNW, and now we have seen a season where Wilson's health was at risk.

Kap >>>> Boykin if you care about winning games. Why else was Wilson stuck out there so long?

NINEster

Reaction score
evergreen":k9golzho said:
Kennedyin92":k9golzho said:
toffee":k9golzho said:
It's a matter of money, if we can afford him, ie at a very low price. We will be STUPID not to. Keapernick allows OC to use Wilson's playbook with minimum changes if and when he plays. Dude led a team to superbowl, ok, he regressed some but still serviceable. His main problems are mostly mental. Playing behind Wilson as backup will help him overcome those issues.

Having Wilson and Kaepernick could be like having Montana and Young. Hey, Young was a train wreck to some when Walsh signed him to the squad ... pissed off or motivated Montana. Resulting in super bowlS. Think about it.

Stupid not to.

In another 3 - 4 weeks, when no team offered to sign him, he will face either sitting out the season hoping to be picked up by some really really bad team in mid season or sign with a super bowl contender ie us. I think he will come cheap to us.

I'm all for signing Kaepernick to back up Wilson, but let's wait a bit before equating them with Montana and Young...

I think we waited too long... three years ago they were playing in the NFCCG and blowing up the standard idea of what an NFL QB was. Now after, both regressed, for different reasons, it' too late. Back in 2013 Wilson was awesome and Kap looked even better. Not so much now...

A very good post!!

Finally, someone who sees the unbiased truth for both QBs. :irishdrinkers:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NINEster":2mw7rw8h said:
Sports Hernia":2mw7rw8h said:
Popeyejones":2mw7rw8h said:
Sports Hernia":2mw7rw8h said:
No thanks. ...and that answer is based on watching his play on the football field alone.

I know Wilson was hurt for part of last year, but Kaepernick was playing on a truly awful team without a weapon in the bunch.

Last year Wilson's qb rating was 92.6 and Kaepernick's was 90.4 (Wilson, Kaepernick, Andy Dalton, Alex Smith, and Tyrod Taylor were all clustered together).

It's obvious that Wilson is MUCH better QB than Kaepernick at this point in their careers, but Kaepernick isn't even good enough to be a backup? C'mon, man. :lol:

It's a huge, huge fall for him but all things being equal he'd still be a top 5-10 backup QB in the NFL if everyone didn't hate him, IMO.
I think you are not factoring in how bad Seattle's offensive line is/was and how hurt RW was all year.
IMHO the stats in that situation are a bit misleading. The posts that follow mine also point out a few flaws of CK.
There is a reason he is still unsigned and only a part of that has to do with kneeling for the NA.

No, it mostly has to do with his politics.

Read the article by Mike Freeman. Kap would have a starting job most likely, even at a reduced price.

If he can't even get a backup job, it strictly is politics.

Turn the Niner hatred off for a second. He would win games with a few stacked teams in this league, easily.
It's hard to hate the Niners when they suck so bad and Harbaugh is gone, and besides, the Kraepper ain't a niner no more.
If teams thought he was starter material he'd have a starting gig, despite his political stance.

Maybe it's not me that has to take off the homer glasses???? 8)

mikeak

Reaction score
NINEster":1p46jggw said:
Largent80":1p46jggw said:

Again, politics.

If/when that subsides he will be a normal QB in the league again.

Ironically I could see the Seahawks being a top 5 landing spot for him giving the similarities to Wilson, the liberal air of the PNW, and now we have seen a season where Wilson's health was at risk.

Kap >>>> Boykin if you care about winning games. Why else was Wilson stuck out there so long?

I agree that it is mainly politics. I mean he hasn't had a visit - that is crazy

Now in regards to Boykin you are oversimplifying. Boykin was a rookie last year of course Kaepernick would be more knowledgeable about reading defenses and understanding the speed of the game.

Now Wilson was out there so long last year because he was deemed the best option. So the question last year wouldn't have been if Kaepernick is better than Boykin but if a hobbled Wilson would have been better than Kaepernick just like it was if a hobbled Wilson was better than Boykin. We have seen the same decision making with players like Roethlisberger in the past

Kaep would only sign 1 year and he would want way more than the $1million that Boykin is getting this year. So do you give up Boykin's 2 year contract for a total of $2.6 million just for the chance to have Kaepernick on the bench for more money and for 1 year?

If he wants to come in for the same dollars that Boykin is getting plus a 2 year deal - yeah I would take him. But since I really doubt that he will then we would be giving up cap space plus possibly lose a year and then next year start over being in a worse position than even last year.........

So in my opinion - from a gameplan and skillset perspective - yes he fits, but from a roster and salary cap perspective - not a good fit

Now Cleveland Browns just threw $16 million at buying roster spots so why they would not have signed him for $2 million and a one year season is beyond me......

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Absolutely I'd take Kaepernick as our backup, but it's not realistic at this point. As mikeak has pointed out, it's just not in the cards when you consider the current state of the roster/salary cap. I imagine Kaep is going to be looking for a starting gig somewhere and I have to believe that the Browns or some other recent bottom-dweller will be open to giving him a one year prove it deal that's worth more than Boykin's entire three year contract with us.

It's probably pretty safe to say that Boykin will never be as good as Kaep has shown in his short career. He was a heck of a talent on those Harbaugh teams. Seahawks fans tend to discount his ability because he played pretty bad against us throughout his career. However, Kaep has great experience, actually had a pretty quietly productive season on a dreadful team last year, and has some very good physical tools to come in and be a nuisance in the place of RW.

I could care less about the politics involved or whether he used to be the face of our fiercest division rivals. The guy still has talent and he's either going to be a serviceable starter for a struggling franchise this next year or the best backup in the league, IMO.

chris98251

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":1dbbmvym said:
Absolutely I'd take Kaepernick as our backup, but it's not realistic at this point. As mikeak has pointed out, it's just not in the cards when you consider the current state of the roster/salary cap. I imagine Kaep is going to be looking for a starting gig somewhere and I have to believe that the Browns or some other recent bottom-dweller will be open to giving him a one year prove it deal that's worth more than Boykin's entire two year contract with us.

It's probably pretty safe to say that Boykin will never be as good as Kaep has shown in his short career. He was a heck of a talent on those Harbaugh teams. Seahawks fans tend to discount his ability because he played pretty bad against us throughout his career. However, Kaep has great experience, actually had a pretty quietly productive season on a dreadful team last year, and has some very good physical tools to come in and be a nuisance in the place of RW.

I could care less about the politics involved or whether he used to be the face of our fiercest division rivals. The guy still has talent and he's either going to be a serviceable starter for a struggling franchise this next year or the best backup in the league, IMO.

Why is it safe to say Boykin will never be as good? He is just starting out. The only reason he wasn't drafted was a situation involving Police that has since been resolved. He showed wheels, an arm and ability to make good decisions, also seen both the left and right side of the field. His release and accuracy is better then Kaeps now.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
chris98251":13ptjyzh said:
JGfromtheNW":13ptjyzh said:
Absolutely I'd take Kaepernick as our backup, but it's not realistic at this point. As mikeak has pointed out, it's just not in the cards when you consider the current state of the roster/salary cap. I imagine Kaep is going to be looking for a starting gig somewhere and I have to believe that the Browns or some other recent bottom-dweller will be open to giving him a one year prove it deal that's worth more than Boykin's entire two year contract with us.

Why is it safe to say Boykin will never be as good? He is just starting out. The only reason he wasn't drafted was a situation involving Police that has since been resolved. He showed wheels, an arm and ability to make good decisions, also seen both the left and right side of the field. His release and accuracy is better then Kaeps now.

I think it's safe to say because Kaepernick came into the league, waited a season then took over for an injured Alex Smith and didn't look back for 2.5+ seasons. The 9ers didn't ask him to throw much in 2012, but the guy had pretty impressive stats and completely took over some games, even in the playoffs. He lead the 9ers to a Super Bowl appearance, almost achieved a tremendous comeback in that game, and then continued to win against/shred just about everyone except for us in 2013 until "The Tip" sent us to a Super Bowl.

I guess I think it's safe to say because he's proved what he can do in this league. Boykin hasn't and probably won't get many meaningful snaps until 1) RW is out for extensive time or 2) he gets a starting gig on another team.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2j3jp1l5 said:
If teams thought he was starter material he'd have a starting gig, despite his political stance.

There's been a fair amount of reporting on this, and kneeling last year has definitely taken a toll. It is out there. It's inarguable.

He was reportedly going to get signed 10 days ago or so until an owner nixed it (the rumor is it's Haslam and the Browns, and Haslam already has a well deserved reputation for meddling).

That doesn't make him any better of a QB and there's almost definitely other factors at play too, but arguing that it's not ONE of the factors is pretty silly, IMO.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Popeyejones":ab0abzlo said:
Sports Hernia":ab0abzlo said:

There's been a fair amount of reporting on this, and kneeling last year has definitely taken a toll. It is out there. It's inarguable.

He was reportedly going to get signed 10 days ago or so until an owner nixed it (the rumor is it's Haslam and the Browns, and Haslam already has a well deserved reputation for meddling).

That doesn't make him any better of a QB and there's almost definitely other factors at play too, but arguing that it's not ONE of the factors is pretty silly, IMO.

The fact is, if Kaepernick was really that highly regarded as a player, it wouldn't matter what he did off the field as long as it doesn't involve a rap sheet. He wrote a check his talent can't cash. That's on him.

Also, no one wants a backup with baggage. If he's not going to start, of course he's not worth the trouble. That's just a fact of professional sports.

Largent80

Reaction score
NINEster":xz5jwg7n said:
Largent80":xz5jwg7n said:

Again, politics. NO...WRONG

If/when that subsides he will be a normal QB in the league again. NO...WRONG

Ironically I could see the Seahawks being a top 5 landing spot for him giving the similarities to Wilson, the liberal air of the PNW, and now we have seen a season where Wilson's health was at risk. NO...WRONG

NO...WRONG

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Maulbert":65xex764 said:
Popeyejones":65xex764 said:
Sports Hernia":65xex764 said:

The fact is, if Kaepernick was really that highly regarded as a player, it wouldn't matter what he did off the field as long as it doesn't involve a rap sheet. He wrote a check his talent can't cash. That's on him.

Also, no one wants a backup with baggage. If he's not going to start, of course he's not worth the trouble. That's just a fact of professional sports.

Both of those things being true doesn't mean the third thing isn't also true.

Largent80

Reaction score
Houston needs a starting quarterback probably more than any team especially with that great defense.

They made a gigantic mistake on osweiller and I doubt they do it again with Krapper.

mikeak

Reaction score
Largent80":vdfrtpp7 said:
Houston needs a starting quarterback probably more than any team especially with that great defense.

They made a gigantic mistake on osweiller and I doubt they do it again with Krapper.

1) the difference is they can get Kaepernick cheap

2) Their QB will be spelled R-O-M-O

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Yeah Glass Romo is the answer..The guy is done,the injuries he has had are no joke and he is one good hit away from hanging them up..I don't get why people do not see this or refuse to..

mikeak

Reaction score
Largent80":1vxvbyvi said:
NINEster":1vxvbyvi said:
Largent80":1vxvbyvi said:

Again, politics. NO...WRONG

If/when that subsides he will be a normal QB in the league again. NO...WRONG

Ironically I could see the Seahawks being a top 5 landing spot for him giving the similarities to Wilson, the liberal air of the PNW, and now we have seen a season where Wilson's health was at risk. NO...WRONG

NO...WRONG

Edited for political quotes. This is a football forum, not a political one.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

OK. Back to strictly football issues, Kaep isn't a starter. Maybe a bridge/backup. Then again, last time he was made one he introduced a non-football related matter that infuriated fans either b/c 1) they disagreed and/or 2) they were just there to watch football. Players have a brand that's part of the team's business decision, and Kaep blew his up by introducing this non-football-related matter that has obv created more non-football-related drama.

I just want to watch football.

Josea16

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2ti0fs3e said:

OK. Back to strictly football issues, Kaep isn't a starter. Maybe a bridge/backup. Then again, last time he was made one he introduced a non-football related matter that infuriated fans either b/c 1) they disagreed and/or 2) they were just there to watch football. Players have a brand that's part of the team's business decision, and Kaep blew his up by introducing this non-football-related matter that has obv created more non-football-related drama.

I just want to watch football.
Agreed. He's actually good but Seattle doesn't need him because Wilson is much better. You can't pay your backup when you're paying 20M to your starter. Really simple just go with Boykin or the next rookie just like New England and accept if Wilson is seriously injured we're probably cooked for that season. And like any elite quarterback Wilson isn't coming out unless he is seriously cooked. Last season with the worse OL ever and at 50% he still got us in the playoffs and won a game. Give him an average OL and health even Seymour would shut up and enjoy the dominance. He's really that good when he's focused and healthy.

Now we actually are trying to run an OL not full of rookies and have Eddie Lacy? Good luck NFCW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts