Colin Kaepernick for backup quarterback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2z80b5wi said:
Why is Russ' lifestyle a distraction?

Yea, that was probably a bit of a stretch to include it with the Sherman thing. But his so-called weight problem, his high maintenance wife, and one in the oven along with the media circus that's been following him around is a distraction, just not on the same level as the Sherman rumors.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
The only people​ distracted by any of that stuff are the fans, and honestly having some of those type of fans turn away from the Seahawks if Kaepernick were signed would only be a bonus.

I don't think this stuff matters for the most part. Scumbag Brady has a model wife and is also a celeb, and he and his team are never distracted by it.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":293jnbrr said:
The only people​ distracted by any of that stuff are the fans, and honestly having some of those type of fans turn away from the Seahawks if Kaepernick were signed would only be a bonus.

You can't be serious. If the prerequisite for being a fan was to agree with every signing no matter what the issue or concern might be, then the stands in most every stadium in the league would be pretty empty.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":dimdamhr said:
Smelly McUgly":dimdamhr said:

You can't be serious. If the prerequisite for being a fan was to agree with every signing no matter what the issue or concern might be, then the stands in most every stadium in the league would be pretty empty.
Yes, if Kaepernick can take his stand by kneeling, Seahawks fans in the stands can take their stand fleeing.

Josea16

Reaction score
RiverDog":jm3ruzq6 said:
Smelly McUgly":jm3ruzq6 said:

I don't agree with your disagreement with his politics because an athlete's politics are irrelevant to me. I care about their on field performance and related. Keapernick is horrible for the money you would have to pay him in comparison to other choices that would be no worse, cost less and have fewer issues.

I do however completely agree with the opinion to completely disagree with any signing and most especially showing so with your wallet. It may be meaningless in the end or not depending on the situation but it's both a valid choice and opinion.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Well Kyle Shanahan has stepped in to opine that Kaep isn't finding a starting job due to his skill set as a QB.

For league minimum, I still think he's worth a camp body. He did perform better than Gabs in the 16 season.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Josea16":2sfhnkff said:
RiverDog":2sfhnkff said:
Smelly McUgly":2sfhnkff said:

I don't agree with your disagreement with his politics because an athlete's politics are irrelevant to me. I care about their on field performance and related. Keapernick is horrible for the money you would have to pay him in comparison to other choices that would be no worse, cost less and have fewer issues.

I do however completely agree with the opinion to completely disagree with any signing and most especially showing so with your wallet. It may be meaningless in the end or not depending on the situation but it's both a valid choice and opinion.

If that's the case, if all that matters to you is a football player's on field performance, then I'm sure you wouldn't mind if we make a bold effort to parole Aaron Hernandez and bring him in.

I do care about an athlete's off field, non football persona, whether that be his politics or other aspects of his behavior. I want to root for the good guys.

I'm not saying that everyone has to be a squeaky clean goody two shoes in order to earn my respect as a fan, but I do have my line in the sand, and Kaepernick has crossed it.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":359x4nt4 said:
Well Kyle Shanahan has stepped in to opine that Kaep isn't finding a starting job due to his skill set as a QB.

That's simply not true.

KS explained that THE 49ERS aren't resigning him because the offense he would excel in isn't a good match for the offense KS is running. (And let's be honest here, KS and JL's efforts at making a clean break from the last few years obviously have at least something to do with all of this too -- you don't let go of a very successful late 30s kicker and replace him with a less successful late 30s kicker unless you're making a clean break).

KS's comments do point to something real -- it's totally reasonable that Kap's market as a starter might be limited to teams which are interested in running offenses that he'd excel in, and his market as a backup might be limited to teams who run offenses his skillset would fit into well -- but that KS said he isn't finding work because of his skill set is simply untrue.

In any offense Kap is as good or better than what the Texans, Broncos, Jets, Browns, Jags, or Bears have at QB right now.

As a backup his skill set would also be a huge improvement over what the Panthers, Seahawks, and Titans have at #2 right now, and all three of those teams have starting QBs who were really banged up last year.

#2 on the Cowboys also makes a ton of sense, as if Dak really regresses they're going to have a ton of problems, and with Glennon gone #2 on the Bucs works too.

That doesn't mean he's getting blackballed, but that's 1/3rd of the league for which you can make a case for Kap maybe being useful in a bridge starter or backup role.

Josea16

Reaction score
Voicing a political or personal belief legally doesn't equal murder. Especially when convicted in a court of law by a jury of your peers.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Popeyejones":yw2qqn4j said:
SantaClaraHawk":yw2qqn4j said:

That's simply not true.

KS explained that THE 49ERS aren't resigning him because the offense he would excel in isn't a good match for the offense KS is running. (And let's be honest here, KS and JL's efforts at making a clean break from the last few years obviously have at least something to do with all of this too -- you don't let go of a very successful late 30s kicker and replace him with a less successful late 30s kicker unless you're making a clean break).

KS's comments do point to something real -- it's totally reasonable that Kap's market as a starter might be limited to teams which are interested in running offenses that he'd excel in, and his market as a backup might be limited to teams who run offenses his skillset would fit into well -- but that KS said he isn't finding work because of his skill set is simply untrue.

In any offense Kap is as good or better than what the Texans, Broncos, Jets, Browns, Jags, or Bears have at QB right now.

As a backup his skill set would also be a huge improvement over what the Panthers, Seahawks, and Titans have at #2 right now, and all three of those teams have starting QBs who were really banged up last year.

#2 on the Cowboys also makes a ton of sense, as if Dak really regresses they're going to have a ton of problems, and with Glennon gone #2 on the Bucs works too.

That doesn't mean he's getting blackballed, but that's 1/3rd of the league for which you can make a case for Kap maybe being useful in a bridge starter or backup role.

No Thanks.....He is too tall.

NINEster

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":jyiwnvqg said:
Popeyejones":jyiwnvqg said:
SantaClaraHawk":jyiwnvqg said:

That's simply not true.

No Thanks.....He is too tall.

I so want Kap to go to the Seahawks and kick ass on every snap not against the 49ers.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1t7gr1dz said:
SantaClaraHawk":1t7gr1dz said:

That's simply not true.

I read KS comments differently, in that I interpreted KS as saying that Kaep would not succeed as a starter because he's not naturally good at some things, such as releasing the ball early and accurately, throwing long, seeing more than one receiver, etc. If Kaep had a viciously great O-line, and running backs far better than the defense, and if his tendencies weren't known, and he had a great kicker, he might have a 2012 season. But even then Kaep couldn't close in the end zone. Even in '12, you could see that Dawson actually scored the game-winning points.

I don't see any of the teams offering all those advantages. Perhaps the Broncs are closest. Howeer, before Kaep's protest, the year before, he was shopped. The Broncs could have (according to KNBR) had him for $14M but passed. No one else showed interest, which indicates that his viability as a starter declined before his political protest. Versus Dawson, who became a Cardinal within a couple of days.

I believe his days as a starter are over for football reasons. But I believe he could be a decent bridge or backup for football reasons (he outplayed Gabbert toward the end), but that FOs are wary of signing him to a position that's meant to be background as opposed to focusing on his actions during the anthem. I believe many players agree with his actions, which is one of the reasons he's getting so much press about "why isn't the guy signed yet?"

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
As a complete backup QB, I still believe Tarvaris beats out Kap in any kind of prove-it training camp showdown competition Pete could throw at them. Hell, toss in Boykin for good measure.

chris98251

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2aeu7imc said:
As a complete backup QB, I still believe Tarvaris beats out Kap in any kind of prove-it training camp showdown competition Pete could throw at them. Hell, toss in Boykin for good measure.

The player you referencing above is retired, let it go, if were bringing up players from the past all of us could name a QB or player that could still do some things well on a Practice field. Since this thread has now gone off topic and will turn into a player you mentioned thread it is locked. Thanks for the derailment.

Status
Not open for further replies.