Colin Kaepernick for backup quarterback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":9c9gypez said:
Largent80":9c9gypez said:
Kaepernick for Seahawk towel boy on his best day.

Right. Kaepernick would be probably #3 best QB this organization has had in almost 20 years, but he's only as good as a towel boy.

Get over yourself.
Probaly 3rd period..An old Moon 4th and Zorny 5th

NINEster

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":3t3s2yca said:
Politics aside, his hot-and-cold showing aside, there's just too much bad blood between him and the organization (players and fans). I don't want any more distractions. Pass.

Probably no worse than his relationship with the 49ers and their fans. :mrgreen:

Largent80

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":23k9arew said:
Largent80":23k9arew said:

Right. Kaepernick would be probably #3 best QB this organization has had in almost 20 years, but he's only as good as a towel boy.

Get over yourself.

I'm over it. Now what. Kaepernick STILL stinks.

rlkats

Reaction score
Largent80":27i1kxgp said:
JGfromtheNW":27i1kxgp said:
Largent80":27i1kxgp said:

Get over yourself.

Why are so many people blind to the fact he is garbage. In the beginning his running won games. Sure he had some games where he would throw well. But once the league figured him out he was done. The big games he lost was because of his descision making and his ARM. The dude is done.

Largent80

Reaction score
rlkats":fejnlhv4 said:
Largent80":fejnlhv4 said:
JGfromtheNW":fejnlhv4 said:
Largent80":fejnlhv4 said:

Get over yourself.

Why are so many people blind to the fact he is garbage. In the beginning his running won games. Sure he had some games where he would throw well. But once the league figured him out he was done. The big games he lost was because of his descision making and his ARM. The dude is done.

You got me. I'm supposed to get over myself for what my eyes see. I guess Jaundiced Gonads from the NW sees differently. Judging by his avatar, he definitely swings from a different vine.

mikeak

Reaction score
rlkats":3fd1wxv9 said:
Largent80":3fd1wxv9 said:
JGfromtheNW":3fd1wxv9 said:
Largent80":3fd1wxv9 said:

Get over yourself.

Because it is not supported by facts

Show me the numbers that shows that he is "garbage" - that means worse than 31 other guys for a starting position and for about 60 to be considered a backup

waiting

RiverDog

Reaction score
rlkats":1l55al2s said:

Not only that, but in the beginning, he was blessed not only with a stellar defense that always gave him good field position, but he was blessed with a rock solid offensive line and a Pro Bowl running back. The past two seasons, we've seen his true identity once he lost those fig leaves.

Except for the stellar defense, he won't have any of that here if we were to bring him in. He's not worth the baggage he'd bring with him.

chris98251

Reaction score
Very few QB's can perform well with no line and no running game and a group of lousy receivers and a weak defense.

I am trying to think of one of the Elite QB's in history that could over come all those things and win and have good numbers. Still drawing a blank though.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
chris98251":181cod87 said:
Very few QB's can perform well with no line and no running game and a group of lousy receivers and a weak defense.

I am trying to think of one of the Elite QB's in history that could over come all those things and win and have good numbers. Still drawing a blank though.

I was wondering if the Snake may have had that.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1o1m1xb8 said:
chris98251":1o1m1xb8 said:

I was wondering if the Snake may have had that.

Well Kenny the Snake Stabler had a Line and receivers and RB's along with that historic Raiders Defense.

Jake the Snake Plummer had nothing in Arizona. When he went to Denver The Rat almost got him killed.

rlkats

Reaction score
Why are so many people blind to the fact he is garbage. In the beginning his running won games. Sure he had some games where he would throw well. But once the league figured him out he was done. The big games he lost was because of his descision making and his ARM. The dude is done.[/quote]

Show me the numbers that shows that he is "garbage" - that means worse than 31 other guys for a starting position and for about 60 to be considered a backup

waiting[/quote]

The stats are very misleading. I watched ALL of his games. His plays would come in bursts. He then would go through a stupid spell and throw winnable games away. That is fact. Get your brain off stats and watch his games without KAP homer blinders on.

RiverDog

Reaction score
mikeak":29zx1k2t said:

waiting

Wait no longer:

2015 QBR: 47.0
2016 QBR: 55.2

Garbage.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
rlkats":3jdckw7t said:

waiting

The stats are very misleading. I watched ALL of his games. His plays would come in bursts. He then would go through a stupid spell and throw winnable games away. That is fact. Get your brain off stats and watch his games without KAP homer blinders on.
Some people don't want to admit they were ever wrong. It's seems to be an epidemic of late generally speaking that crosses all fanbases.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
QBR? Really?

Kaepernick is essentially a 59% passer with a solid TD/INT ratio (16/4 last year) who is a) young, b) has wheels, and c) can take punishment without being eternally hurt. That means that he's not a starter-caliber player (unless maybe you're the Browns or Bears), but those numbers are solid for a backup who, as a bonus, can fit right into the offense if Wilson goes down.

Is he a guy I want starting all sixteen here? No. However, I've sat through teams that started Glenn Foley and Tarvaris Jackson and Dan McGwire and Rick Mirer and Jon Kitna before Kitna was decent, so I think Kaepernick as a backup is a decent move when seen through the lens of how hard it is to find even serviceable QB play in the league.

rlkats

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1eeb7vj8 said:
QBR? Really?

Kaepernick is essentially a 59% passer with a solid TD/INT ratio (16/4 last year) who is a) young, b) has wheels, and c) can take punishment without being eternally hurt. That means that he's not a starter-caliber player (unless maybe you're the Browns or Bears), but those numbers are solid for a backup who, as a bonus, can fit right into the offense if Wilson goes down.

Is he a guy I want starting all sixteen here? No. However, I've sat through teams that started Glenn Foley and Tarvaris Jackson and Dan McGwire and Rick Mirer and Jon Kitna before Kitna was decent, so I think Kaepernick as a backup is a decent move when seen through the lens of how hard it is to find even serviceable QB play in the league.

I will agree with you smelly. He is back up AT best. But as back ups. I still would go another direction. The man refuses to develop and work in his skills.
In a back up I would want someone that can replace the starter at anytime for any length. Kind of like the Vikings situation. If they had a good back up they would not have to had given the farm for Bradford.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
rlkats":2d411tzs said:
Smelly McUgly":2d411tzs said:
QBR? Really?

I will agree with you smelly. He is back up AT best. But as back ups. I still would go another direction. The man refuses to develop and work in his skills.
In a back up I would want someone that can replace the starter at anytime for any length. Kind of like the Vikings situation. If they had a good back up they would not have to had given the farm for Bradford.

But there aren't even enough QBs good enough to play all sixteen to give every team a good starter in the first place. Getting someone that good as a backup is a pipe dream. Even when it happens, the guy relegated to backup forces a trade, retires, or is traded for a windfall (precisely because there are not enough starters to go around).

And on the real, I think the Vikes were better off saving the picks and starting Shaun Hill. Bradford is a marginal starter, not a guy worth burning picks on.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I honestly think Seattle would be crazy to not consider Kap.

Kap couldn't stay in SF because he doesn't fit what Shanahan wants to do now. He did it once with RGIII but he doesn't want to do that anymore. Shanahan wants a classic passer.

Kap DOES fit Seattles offense. I'm not saying he can do was Russ does, but if he can get over the fact that he's not a starter anymore he can be a productive backup in Seattle.

I don't want him there specifically because I think it would be a good signing.

As for everyone who thinks he's garbage and not worth signing, you really should look around th eleague and see whats passing for backup QBs these days.

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
I think Kaepernick would be one of the best options to consider for that backup spot. Although it's been a while, he's had success, he fits into the offensive system so the other ten guys on the field don't need to change the scheme from qb to qb, he's young, he knows a few players on a personal level with his friendship with Lockette and charity work, speaking of which, he does a lot of giving back to communities.

He's polarizing, likely a bit of a doosh, but I feel like he's a pretty solid choice to hold RWs jock strap. He's better than Boykin, imo.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Football-wise, Kaep had been beaten by Seattle since 2013. Given Jed's thing against Seattle, Kaep would logically know the playbook more than most.

Non-footballwise, Kaep as a SJW cause has been taken up by everyone from MMQB to Skip Bayless. There's pressure to sign Kaep just because of his SJWing, which was not a football matter and clouds the issue.

RiverDog

Reaction score
There's other veteran quarterbacks available that would cost less, carries less baggage, and brings nearly as much to the table as Kaepernick. One such QB is Kaep's own teammate that once beat him out for the position, Blaine Gabbert.

Once a top 10 pick, Gabbert isn't quite as much of a threat with his legs as Kaepernick is, but he's no slouch, either. As a matter of fact, his time in the 40, 4.62 at the combine, was close to Russell's 4.55, and Gabbert is a more accurate passer than Kaep (who isn't?). At 27 years old, Gabbert's 2 years younger than Kaep.

I'm not necessarily advocating that we bring in Gabbert. I'm pointing out that there are better options out there besides Kaepernick. Besides, we have enough distractions going on with the speculation about Richard Sherman, Boykin's arrest, and Russell's new lifestyle. The last thing we need is a pain in the ass like that POS.

Status
Not open for further replies.