Colin Kaepernick for backup quarterback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jville

Reaction score
The rub is Kaepenick is currently one of the more polarizing figures in the NFL.

Wherever he ends up, he'll likely split and polarize that community.

Teams like Seattle do not need to pay such a high a price for a backup.

More affordable alternatives are preferable.

rlkats

Reaction score
The main problem is, he wants a chance to start. And wants 9-10 million to play. Now to the main question. Is he worth 9-10 million? Here you have many QB's that make a ton of money and SUCK. Is he better that lets say, Trevor Siemian, Tom Savage, Blake Bortles, Jared Goff (there are more)? All three are average to below to me. And yet they are playing on a team and some are starters. Now the KAP head ache.

Negative things

1. He wants to start
2. CAN NOT READ A FIELD
3. Is very inaccurate (even when he was good)
4. Does not believe his mechanics are in need to be fixed (his words when Warner was teaching him)
5. Teams have figured out to contain him and keep him from running.
6. Has those WTF was he thinking or throwing to
7. Is very uncomfortable in the pocket

Positive Things
1. Is a very polarizing idea and talent.
2. Teams must watch him so he cant run
3. Has bouts of WOW did you see that great throw or run.
4. STRONG arm
5. And is NOT a locker room cancer (Not talking about politics)

In my mind he needs a couple of years to get his head straight, Work on his mechanics and be a student of the game. But the issue is I don't think his ego will allow him to do this. If these issues were not there he would not be a free agent. Sadly his freedom of speech and protest HAS hurt him, but his Negatives on the game itself has hurt him more. Now the problem. I don't think he will get on a team unless he lowers his expectations and price range.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ All these facts are getting in the way of the claims that he is not being blackballed. Can we please stop with this. Lets just blame his horrible play (middle of the pack last year) and outlandish demands (not substantiated).

Of course there is no way that we can accept players responsible for the deaths of others (Stallworth), people that go to prison (to many to name) while not even interviewing a guy that is in the middle of the pack for 2016 QB stats just because he is a black man protesting what he believes is injustice in the system........ :sarcasm_off:

Seafan

Reaction score
There are some dominoes that have to fall in place first. Romo, Cutler, etc. After that Kaep may realize he's not going to get a starting gig and realize signing with a good team as a backup on a one year contract might get him a shot next season.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":pi3f50pt said:
Kaep doesn't want $9M according to Florio...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -per-year/

...and apparently really wants to Hawks to consider him....
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... aepernick/

the Seahawks have seen first-hand what Kaepernick can do with the right coaching and game planning. If/when Wilson gets injured, Kaepernick would definitely be a better option than Boykin, especially if Boykin’s arrest results in the team moving on from him the same way it moved on from Tarvaris Jackson following an arrest a year ago.

I don't much like Florio. I listen to him every morning on my way to work when I'm on first shift because that's his time slot and he can really be a dick if he's interviewing someone who has the audacity to disagree with him ... but in this case I think he hit the nail square on the head.

RiverDog

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":32kw6oa6 said:
the dynamic has changed now with the Boykin arrest, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Pete brought Kap in to kick the tires now.

Just bringing Kaepernick in to "kick the tires" is going to cause an uproar. There are a lot of fans, me amongst them, that don't want to have anything to do with him regardless of any positive effect it may have for our team. Bringing in Kaepernick would make the drafting Frank Clark look like a Sunday prayer breakfast.

And it's not like Kaepernick is the only viable option. There's plenty of veteran quarterbacks available, some that have a lot of starting experience that have yet to sign with a team, including:

Blaine Gabbert, RG3, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jay Cutler, Chase Daniel, Case Keenum, etc. Heck, Gabbert beat out Kaepernick last season, why wouldn't he be more preferable than Kaep?

What I suspect is going to happen is that we won't bring in any well recognized veteran like Kaep or RG3, that we'll do the same thing we did last year and either pick one up in the late rounds of the draft or sign an undrafted FA.

This may all be a moot point as Boykin may not be in as deep of caca as everyone is assuming.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
MikeAK is a smart dude.

Like I said, I'd love to get this guy. He's a one-read QB? So is Trevone Boykin, except Kaepernick's actually won something in the league. He's not a distraction unless some precious snowflake fans can't deal with someone who has an opinion giving that opinion out loud. I've been able to watch lots of football players in the past who are horrible people with terrible ideas.

Divide the community? The community is already divided, and deeply so. Kaepernick signing here won't change that. However, it will change my comfort level with the team's ability to succeed if RW misses a four-game stretch because this garbage-dump of an OL filled with basketball-player prospects, first-round busts, and mid-round reaches gets him killed.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Kaep has QB higher numbers than RG3, Ryan Fitzpatrick etc. He does know or should know Seattle's scheme having being beaten by them regularly. Could be a serviceable backup.

League minimum camp body is an option, but pass on the $9 mil.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":jpuvzsxl said:
MikeAK is a smart dude.

Like I said, I'd love to get this guy. He's a one-read QB? So is Trevone Boykin, except Kaepernick's actually won something in the league. He's not a distraction unless some precious snowflake fans can't deal with someone who has an opinion giving that opinion out loud. I've been able to watch lots of football players in the past who are horrible people with terrible ideas.

Divide the community? The community is already divided, and deeply so. Kaepernick signing here won't change that. However, it will change my comfort level with the team's ability to succeed if RW misses a four-game stretch because this garbage-dump of an OL filled with basketball-player prospects, first-round busts, and mid-round reaches gets him killed.

Great post and it's spot on. Kaep would be a HUGE boost to the depth of our roster and a really nice insurance policy for the o-line getting our QB killed; but I think he's going to demand too high of a salary. It's pretty shocking that he hasn't been signed yet, but when the vast majority of owners are old white billionaires; I can see how they would have a problem with an African American man peacefully protesting and exercising some constitutional rights.

toffee

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":3g4xu80g said:
Smelly McUgly":3g4xu80g said:
MikeAK is a smart dude.

Great post and it's spot on. Kaep would be a HUGE boost to the depth of our roster and a really nice insurance policy for the o-line getting our QB killed; but I think he's going to demand too high of a salary. It's pretty shocking that he hasn't been signed yet, but when the vast majority of owners are old white billionaires; I can see how they would have a problem with an African American man peacefully protesting and exercising some constitutional rights.

nah, can't promotion or allow someone like Kaep to promotion uppitiness.

NINEster

Reaction score
toffee":31udvlbz said:
c_hawkbob":31udvlbz said:
the dynamic has changed now with the Boykin arrest, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Pete brought Kap in to kick the tires now.

Kaep is known quality, no tire to kick. If he is willing to be Re's backup sign him. I can see RW may not want Kaep as his backup though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not want Kap as his backup? They're friendly, no?

Tell me why, because the only insinuation is something you won't want to hear from my mouth.

mrblitz

Reaction score
kaep would be a good addition to the roster.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Largent80":3pebomfb said:
Kaepernick for Seahawk towel boy on his best day.

Right. Kaepernick would be probably #3 best QB this organization has had in almost 20 years, but he's only as good as a towel boy.

Get over yourself.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Politics aside, his hot-and-cold showing aside, there's just too much bad blood between him and the organization (players and fans). I don't want any more distractions. Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts