Conversation with a Broncos Fan at the Beach today

OP
OP
TeamoftheCentury

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
scutterhawk":11oj2mkr said:
Reaneypark":11oj2mkr said:
Dude probably thinks Champ Bailey is still good.
Champ who? :stirthepot:
I suppose I could have stirred the pot with that approach. Live and learn. Next time (God forbid there's others) I will. And no, certain this guy wasn't pulling that business on me. Not clever enough. I did ask him if he was being serious. All indications: yes.

OP
OP
TeamoftheCentury

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Atradees":124knad5 said:
Reminds me of our prevous superbowl experience and the fallout. Victimized!
Actually not really, but I knew someone would say that. Let's not turn this into another conversation about XL. I knew who the players were on the other team as I'm sure most of the others who witnessed whatever that thing was. Nor was the guy suggesting there was potentially something shady going on - like most of the world did after that other game.
I did empathize with the guy, like I said, remembering how that felt.
BTW - have you ever seen the Bryant Gumbel show, "Real Sports?" Check out the episode on "match fixing".

davidonmi

Reaction score
there were posts on the donkey message board prior to the game comparing our defense to KC's. They know absolutely nothing

kearly

Reaction score
Atradees":87571e4p said:
Pittsburg took their foot off the gas. They were better. Die hard Seahawk fan

This is a good tie in to what I was going to say.

I lived in Colorado for seven years and know many Broncos fans. I actually think the Broncos have one of the smarter fanbases, though when it comes to Manning and (for some) Tebow, they kind of live in a bubble.

I was living in Colorado during XL and I still remember what one of my Bronco fan friends said after that game. "What a load, the Steelers make TWO plays and win the Super Bowl." He made a great point. It was probably the first time Super Bowl history that the winning team played like crap save for two plays and still won. Big Ben still holds the record for the worst performance by a SB winning QB (22.2 passer rating).

Seattle's performance was actually pretty decent, but every time they got momentum, the refs took it away with penalties, and a few timely drops also killed them as well. They finished with significantly more yards than Pittsburgh, won the turnover battle, and possessed the ball longer, the only team to win all three categories and lose the SB. Turnover ratio alone usually determines the winner, prior to that game only 2 out of 39 Super Bowls had teams that won the turnover ratio and lost the game.

So yeah, it was a really shitty game, and even as a neutral observer, he was extremely unimpressed with the way the Steelers won it.

Regarding the goof the OP ran into, I'll never understand a fan who feels he needs to defend or excuse a 35 point ass-kicking in all three phases of the game.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2ct9bh45 said:
TeamoftheCentury":2ct9bh45 said:
Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I knew the Bronco fans were delusional before the game. But, come on... to not even know who Kam Chancellor is? Still, AFTER the Super Bowl when he made several statement plays? That's complete ignorance. It would be like any Seahawks fan not knowing who Wes Welker is or a similar impact player on their team.

Yeah, I wasn't pissed. I was in near shock. I guess I gave Broncos fans too much credit previously.

Wes Welker? Never heard of him. Did he play in the Super Bowl?

Wasn't he one of the cheerleaders?

Sherman4Prez

Reaction score
No wonder he didnt get it. If anything, it was the lack of the Broncos running game that lead to their doom. Seahawks took away a majority of the intermediate and deep routes, forcing check downs. The Broncos not being able to change it up with Ball sealed their fate. It was over by half time.

Not to mention the Seahawks were ready for a dog fight. They were battle tested. When you play against scrappers like the rest of the NFCW, it makes passing teams from the AFC look like a buch of p******. The Broncos were punched in the mouth and laid over. That's complete domination.

evergreen

Reaction score
Reaneypark":1far7fnn said:
Did you miss him catching Baldwin from behind to stop a sure TD
As for the game, It was simple predator/prey relation. Power vs. finesse, our youth vs. Mannings experience. It was Reagan vs. Mondale. Their D played amazing forcing us to kick those two fgs. It could've been way worse. We all knew they would move the ball in the middle of the field. Just like we knew they'd have a hard time in the red zone. And they were unlucky enough to get the lights out version of the Hawks last seen vs. New Orleans in November. Don't forget it was almost same score as preseason.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":3ikxukpq said:
scutterhawk":3ikxukpq said:
Reaneypark":3ikxukpq said:
Champ who? :stirthepot:
I suppose I could have stirred the pot with that approach. Live and learn. Next time (God forbid there's others) I will. And no, certain this guy wasn't pulling that business on me. Not clever enough. I did ask him if he was being serious. All indications: yes.
Guy sounds as dumb as a broken toilet handle :lol:

drdiags

Reaction score
I think the name recognition thing isn't the Broncos fan problem only. Unless he is a die-hard football junkie or doing fantasy, he probably spent the entire season focusing on the AFC. Patriots were his boogie-man. The team in the NFC he probably gave the most cred (49ers) had lost the season before to the Ravens, so most likely in his mind unless NBC is pumping a team or player, he just doesn't care.

There are those type of people. They don't want to throw out stats or self-created opinion. They tend to be sheep and take their lead from the conventional wisdom tokens they have learned to depend on.

His attention span only covered the past month of the season and the playoffs for those opposing teams he didn't care much for. The fact he wanted to revert to the bandwagon argument just further exposed him as a bs artist.

I have to cut off conversations with my 81 yr old dad when he wants to feed me his Skip Bayless-fueled opinions on things. Or tell me how Sonics fans didn't support the team, that is why they left. What does he know? He lives in the midwest, so he chooses to trust some chump making a living stirring the pot.

I would just dismiss the meeting with this dude. He probably felt he showed you anyway, in his feeble mind, so he is living large in his mind. I guess there is a certain bliss in that frame of thinking.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
when you're dealing with donkos fans remember that this is what you're dealing with:

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthr ... -stand-for

weird colorado people who have to have a sticky post disclaiming what the "F" in PFM stands for so as not to confuse it as an abbreviation for a swear word as abbreviating swear words is against their Fing code of conduct. WOWwwwwwwww.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
drdiags":1hfcnlwk said:
I think the name recognition thing isn't the Broncos fan problem only. Unless he is a die-hard football junkie or doing fantasy, he probably spent the entire season focusing on the AFC. Patriots were his boogie-man. The team in the NFC he probably gave the most cred (49ers) had lost the season before to the Ravens, so most likely in his mind unless NBC is pumping a team or player, he just doesn't care.

There are those type of people. They don't want to throw out stats or self-created opinion. They tend to be sheep and take their lead from the conventional wisdom tokens they have learned to depend on.

His attention span only covered the past month of the season and the playoffs for those opposing teams he didn't care much for. The fact he wanted to revert to the bandwagon argument just further exposed him as a bs artist.

I have to cut off conversations with my 81 yr old dad when he wants to feed me his Skip Bayless-fueled opinions on things. Or tell me how Sonics fans didn't support the team, that is why they left. What does he know? He lives in the midwest, so he chooses to trust some chump making a living stirring the pot.

I would just dismiss the meeting with this dude. He probably felt he showed you anyway, in his feeble mind, so he is living large in his mind. I guess there is a certain bliss in that frame of thinking.
Yep, kinda like I hit his fist as hard as I could with my face. :p

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawknballs":yaxjn56a said:
when you're dealing with donkos fans remember that this is what you're dealing with:

weird colorado people who have to have a sticky post disclaiming what the "F" in PFM stands for so as not to confuse it as an abbreviation for a swear word as abbreviating swear words is against their Fing code of conduct. WOWwwwwwwww.
Did you read any of the posts about Denver being built to last with the acquisition of Manning, and the Seahawks are now screwed and aren't built to last, because they've paid their Defensive players, and after next Year, we will be so devoid of talent around Wilson, because after giving him his pay-day, there won't be enough money to keep the talented support players around him. :lol:
Talk about Mile High. :34853_tinfoil:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
DrDiags kind of hit on it above and my opinion's pretty much the same.....not knowing Kam is really not a huge shock. I don't know, or give a shit, who the Donkeys' Strong Safety is and this guy likely doesn't pay much attention to other teams' players at that position or like their LBs, etc.. I know the Hawks' players and that's who I care about.

That said, I feel really dirty for sticking up for a Donko fan. :pukeface:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
scutterhawk":19n1f3kk said:
Hawknballs":19n1f3kk said:

Did you read any of the posts about Denver being built to last with the acquisition of Manning, and the Seahawks are now screwed and aren't built to last, because they've paid their Defensive players, and after next Year, we will be so devoid of talent around Wilson, because after giving him his pay-day, there won't be enough money to keep the talented support players around him. :lol:
Talk about Mile High. :34853_tinfoil:
The NinaTrolls on the denialzone say the same thing. It's laughable.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Pre SB, Bronco fans could not get past their late season defensive surge, and the low total yards of the Seattle offense. To them, Manning wasn't leading the number one offense of 2013, he was leading the best offense of all time. Seattle's defensive ranking was a product of playing in the NFC west vs bad offenses, in their minds.

I watched a dozen Bronco games prior to the SB, and the finesse factor of their offense was plain as hell. Knowshon almost never ran vs even a 7 man front, and his 12 TDs were often a result of defenses playing nickel even on third and short vs Denver. Half of his runs came on audibles from Manning when a defense would over commit to stopping the pass. Finesse, finesse, finesse. I was stunned watching Bronco games how easy most teams made it for the Broncos by playing off cover against a team that would rather pass within 5 yards of the LOS. Against a QB who threw beyond 20 yards about 5 percent of the time. Of course, most teams hope pass rush can cover for secondary inefficiencies.

The worst part of the two week lead up was that Seattle's offense was a footnote for analysts and Bronco fans, who had to ignore that the Denver D was SLOW as hell. Somehow they turned Brady throwing to nobody into a defensive masterpiece in their minds.

To the average Denver fan, retrospect says the game ended when the snap sailed over Manning's head. I say bullshit. The game ended when Percy did an end around and the Denver D realized the simply could not hang with our speed. Watch every snap thereafter, if Percy runs through the middle of the Denver D, he get attention from two or even three. Our young team shot itselves in the foot at first, and a bad spot on Russell's scramble only got us three, but the die was cast when Percy went around the corner and was within inches of breaking a long run. They knew it, and we knew it, they were too slow.

Bronco fans and sites were also spreading a myth that the Bronco offensive line was a superior pass block unit, completely ignoring how a QB with the fastest release in the league could skew those stats. games vs San Diego and a game vs the Jags, of all teams, made it clear just how vulnerable that offense could become when teams pressed Manning's receivers and made him go to 2nd and 3rd reads, but that didn't fit the narrative most were selling. Once again, retrospect has Denver fans lamenting injuries to the O line earlier in the year, but that is not the song they were singing before the SB.

One analyst, Adam Rank, said Seattle blowout. For all the right reasons. But hard hitting and press coverage are hard to quantify with dazzling stats, so most pundits rode the Denver dazzle straight to looking like idiots

Apeman00

Reaction score
Alright... Hard enough when my wife is a bandwagon fan and doesn't know who Earl Thomas is. Lots of crazy things we have to live with. To me, It just brings a smile to my face that the Seahawks are relevant in the eyes of other fans now. I think the media is still having a hard time realizing how good this team is. I would much rather have them complain how their team didn't perform rather then how we lucked out or got special calls from the REFS.

When they talk about how injured they were. Yep, your right. The Broco's put the best team they could on the field and it just wasn't good enough. LOL.

I realize that 80% of the fans out there doesn't live and breath football. I'm not going to get upset with them only knowing their teams bubble. I just smile and tell them we will meet them again next year and re-open that can of whoopass again.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Honestly, if you want to sum up the reason for Seattle's Super Bowl blowout in one graphic, I'd pick the one somebody here posted months ago comparing the defensive rankings of the teams that Seattle and Denver faced from December through the conference championships. The Seahawks had to fight through one top-10 defense after another while the Broncos mostly feasted on the dregs of the league. What Aros said earlier is spot on: the NFC is the stronger conference right now. Denver is a very good team but they earned their "best offense in history" title by feasting on weaker competition.

Latest posts