Conversation with a Broncos Fan at the Beach today

Rainger

Reaction score
Actually I think there are more BANDWAGON Denver fans than Seattle.

All the media hype about Manning and Elway etc etc etc has boosted sales of Bronco gear and created pseudo fans who know very little about football or the team they supposedly support. (not including fans that live in and around Colorado)

Most Hawk fans are very knowledgeable about the team. Sure a SB win brings team jumpers that just want to be on the winning side.

However I believe the 13 wins Denver had and the Manning is god and the greatest offense in the world resulted a lot of Denver fans only for those reasons.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2bwgktmf said:
Pre SB, Bronco fans could not get past their late season defensive surge, and the low total yards of the Seattle offense. To them, Manning wasn't leading the number one offense of 2013, he was leading the best offense of all time. Seattle's defensive ranking was a product of playing in the NFC west vs bad offenses, in their minds.

I watched a dozen Bronco games prior to the SB, and the finesse factor of their offense was plain as hell. Knowshon almost never ran vs even a 7 man front, and his 12 TDs were often a result of defenses playing nickel even on third and short vs Denver. Half of his runs came on audibles from Manning when a defense would over commit to stopping the pass. Finesse, finesse, finesse. I was stunned watching Bronco games how easy most teams made it for the Broncos by playing off cover against a team that would rather pass within 5 yards of the LOS. Against a QB who threw beyond 20 yards about 5 percent of the time. Of course, most teams hope pass rush can cover for secondary inefficiencies.

The worst part of the two week lead up was that Seattle's offense was a footnote for analysts and Bronco fans, who had to ignore that the Denver D was SLOW as hell. Somehow they turned Brady throwing to nobody into a defensive masterpiece in their minds.

To the average Denver fan, retrospect says the game ended when the snap sailed over Manning's head. I say bullshit. The game ended when Percy did an end around and the Denver D realized the simply could not hang with our speed. Watch every snap thereafter, if Percy runs through the middle of the Denver D, he get attention from two or even three. Our young team shot itselves in the foot at first, and a bad spot on Russell's scramble only got us three, but the die was cast when Percy went around the corner and was within inches of breaking a long run. They knew it, and we knew it, they were too slow.

Bronco fans and sites were also spreading a myth that the Bronco offensive line was a superior pass block unit, completely ignoring how a QB with the fastest release in the league could skew those stats. games vs San Diego and a game vs the Jags, of all teams, made it clear just how vulnerable that offense could become when teams pressed Manning's receivers and made him go to 2nd and 3rd reads, but that didn't fit the narrative most were selling. Once again, retrospect has Denver fans lamenting injuries to the O line earlier in the year, but that is not the song they were singing before the SB.

One analyst, Adam Rank, said Seattle blowout. For all the right reasons. But hard hitting and press coverage are hard to quantify with dazzling stats, so most pundits rode the Denver dazzle straight to looking like idiots
Great points, Jason Whitlock also predicted a Seattle blowout.

OP
OP
TeamoftheCentury

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":h3kwc2n0 said:
...not knowing Kam is really not a huge shock
I'm a musician and my life used to be consumed with regular gigs, much of that as a Jazz musician. There's a joke that went around years ago that will help illustrate to reiterate my opinion.

A guy came upon a crowd looking up at a tall building and a guy on a ledge ready to jump and end it all. The fella yelled up to him and yelled, "Don't jump, man. Bird lives!" The would-be jumper answered, "Who's Bird?" The man did a double take then looked up and yelled, "Jump M_____ F___er!"

There is simply no excuse for any Broncos fan that actually watched the game to not know who #31 was after his performance and attention brought to his name. I understand the argument for not knowing the other team's players... but, if someone is going to talk smack about it after the fact without knowing the other characters is reason for dismissal of what they have to say. It's been suggested that those type of people pretty much live in a bubble or be fixated only on their premier name players. Yes, I think that is the type of guy I ran into (and seem to run into with great frequency). They know nothing much if at all about why a championship game played out the way it did. Yet, they wish that I lend them my ear.

Carry on, Mr. Chancellor. Those who know... know.

OP
OP
TeamoftheCentury

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Scottemojo":260jn3op said:
Pre SB, Bronco fans could not get past their late season defensive surge, and the low total yards of the Seattle offense. To them, Manning wasn't leading the number one offense of 2013, he was leading the best offense of all time. Seattle's defensive ranking was a product of playing in the NFC west vs bad offenses, in their minds.

I watched a dozen Bronco games prior to the SB, and the finesse factor of their offense was plain as hell. Knowshon almost never ran vs even a 7 man front, and his 12 TDs were often a result of defenses playing nickel even on third and short vs Denver. Half of his runs came on audibles from Manning when a defense would over commit to stopping the pass. Finesse, finesse, finesse. I was stunned watching Bronco games how easy most teams made it for the Broncos by playing off cover against a team that would rather pass within 5 yards of the LOS. Against a QB who threw beyond 20 yards about 5 percent of the time. Of course, most teams hope pass rush can cover for secondary inefficiencies.

The worst part of the two week lead up was that Seattle's offense was a footnote for analysts and Bronco fans, who had to ignore that the Denver D was SLOW as hell. Somehow they turned Brady throwing to nobody into a defensive masterpiece in their minds.

To the average Denver fan, retrospect says the game ended when the snap sailed over Manning's head. I say bullshit. The game ended when Percy did an end around and the Denver D realized the simply could not hang with our speed. Watch every snap thereafter, if Percy runs through the middle of the Denver D, he get attention from two or even three. Our young team shot itselves in the foot at first, and a bad spot on Russell's scramble only got us three, but the die was cast when Percy went around the corner and was within inches of breaking a long run. They knew it, and we knew it, they were too slow.

Bronco fans and sites were also spreading a myth that the Bronco offensive line was a superior pass block unit, completely ignoring how a QB with the fastest release in the league could skew those stats. games vs San Diego and a game vs the Jags, of all teams, made it clear just how vulnerable that offense could become when teams pressed Manning's receivers and made him go to 2nd and 3rd reads, but that didn't fit the narrative most were selling. Once again, retrospect has Denver fans lamenting injuries to the O line earlier in the year, but that is not the song they were singing before the SB.

One analyst, Adam Rank, said Seattle blowout. For all the right reasons. But hard hitting and press coverage are hard to quantify with dazzling stats, so most pundits rode the Denver dazzle straight to looking like idiots
Yup. Well put.

OP
OP
TeamoftheCentury

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Apeman00":1x3gm2g1 said:
Alright... Hard enough when my wife is a bandwagon fan and doesn't know who Earl Thomas is. Lots of crazy things we have to live with. To me, It just brings a smile to my face that the Seahawks are relevant in the eyes of other fans now. I think the media is still having a hard time realizing how good this team is. I would much rather have them complain how their team didn't perform rather then how we lucked out or got special calls from the REFS.

When they talk about how injured they were. Yep, your right. The Broco's put the best team they could on the field and it just wasn't good enough. LOL.

I realize that 80% of the fans out there doesn't live and breath football. I'm not going to get upset with them only knowing their teams bubble. I just smile and tell them we will meet them again next year and re-open that can of whoopass again.
Yeah, thanks. I wasn't "upset." Baffled might be more like it... like "are your frickin' kidding me" sort of reaction. Believe me, he wasn't and all the Bronco fans I've talked with since the dominant performance have not really shocked me. But, just was sharing that I have to basically shake my head that the members of their fanbase that I have had conversation want to talk smack without knowing a d___ thing. I appreciate having this forum to come in and check my experience vs. what others know about this. The replies are helpful. Essentially, my hunch was correct. Expect this sort of thing from most (not all) of their "fans" and try to be kind in reply (as I was with this guy, for the most part. ;) ) It's the offseason and something interesting to talk about and something we are all encountering at least to some degree.

I have since had 2 others make comments as I'm wearing gear proudly... one Broncos fan and one Eagles fan. Both were crazy. One thought I was wearing a Patriots hat. :roll: The other NFC fan "had heard" the Seahawks are supposed to take a massive tumble this year. :shock: (where's the simile for the all-time wha? double-take to illustrate my reaction?) My first response was... "Was that sports writer/commentator purposely trying to tank his career?"

Listen, I'll gladly take all this nonsense that goes with the territory. The Seahawks are SUPER BOWL FrIckin' Champs!
Go Hawks... Team of the Century!!!

Riley12

Reaction score
Interesting read - I guess I'll go and watch the Superbowl again and watch the "First look stay, second look attack"

OP
OP
TeamoftheCentury

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Riley12":xglm9mx8 said:
Interesting read - I guess I'll go and watch the Superbowl again and watch the "First look stay, second look attack"
Yeah, me too... watch them "take off like wolves!" :snack: Though we don't need a reason to re-watch the Super Bowl over and over. ;)

rigelian

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":1fltogvo said:
On my last trip, same thing. People with Bronco hats were nothing but classy when they saw me wearing a Seahawk hat. (on
Nah. He is from Denver now living in Florida. I do agree (sort of) with the Kudos for still wearing the gear. But, it's hard for me to give any kudos to ANY NFL "fan" that doesn't even know who Kam Chancellor is... especially a "fan" of that team after the impact Kam had on that game. He must not really follow what's going on around the rest of the NFL... maybe only the Broncos. After talking with him a bit, I really questioned what he knew about the game.

Interesting that you two had "polar opposite" encounters. I'm not looking for trouble (and as I said, this guy approached me talkin smack), so I'm tending to believe at this point that those fairy tale-ish encounters are more the exception. No big deal. Nothing I haven't dealt with before. Like I said, I think I was thinking too highly of Broncos fans. I wasn't saying this was the worst encounter in the world. But, I became quite disenchanted with his act when he asked "Who is Kam Chancellor?"

Give the guy a break. He was probably in the tank after Malcolm Smith's pick six and can't remember anything or anybody on the Seahawks in that game besides Richard Sherman, Marshawn Lynch and Russell Wilson. I'm quite sure that he didn't go back and look at the video of the game sober.

OP
OP
TeamoftheCentury

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
rigelian":1f0b6ss7 said:
TeamoftheCentury":1f0b6ss7 said:
On my last trip, same thing. People with Bronco hats were nothing but classy when they saw me wearing a Seahawk hat. (on
Nah. He is from Denver now living in Florida. I do agree (sort of) with the Kudos for still wearing the gear. But, it's hard for me to give any kudos to ANY NFL "fan" that doesn't even know who Kam Chancellor is... especially a "fan" of that team after the impact Kam had on that game. He must not really follow what's going on around the rest of the NFL... maybe only the Broncos. After talking with him a bit, I really questioned what he knew about the game.

Interesting that you two had "polar opposite" encounters. I'm not looking for trouble (and as I said, this guy approached me talkin smack), so I'm tending to believe at this point that those fairy tale-ish encounters are more the exception. No big deal. Nothing I haven't dealt with before. Like I said, I think I was thinking too highly of Broncos fans. I wasn't saying this was the worst encounter in the world. But, I became quite disenchanted with his act when he asked "Who is Kam Chancellor?"

Give the guy a break. He was probably in the tank after Malcolm Smith's pick six and can't remember anything or anybody on the Seahawks in that game besides Richard Sherman, Marshawn Lynch and Russell Wilson. I'm quite sure that he didn't go back and look at the video of the game sober.

lol. Yeah, who's to say I didn't give him a break? I was actually quite kind to him. Something must be wrong with me. Like I said, I empathized with him. I just decided to share the account here at .net and see what others' experience has been with Broncos fans. I can't say if he drowned his sorrows, but he was a family man and wasn't sloshed at the beach. Only his reasoning.

By the way, you have me saying something someone else did in quotations. Gotta be careful how you edit that and not take out the credit to the actual author. But, I'm sure whoever that was will give you a break as well. ;)

OP
OP
TeamoftheCentury

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
rigelian":9n1ax1cw said:
Don't take it personally. I was being sarcastic.
I didn't. Hence the "lol" - isn't that the universal indication that all's good with that? I understood with all the not sober comments and all. Not sure what made you think I took it personally. :Dunno:

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":evacphpk said:
hawksfansinceday1":evacphpk said:
I'm a musician and my life used to be consumed with regular gigs, much of that as a Jazz musician. There's a joke that went around years ago that will help illustrate to reiterate my opinion.

A guy came upon a crowd looking up at a tall building and a guy on a ledge ready to jump and end it all. The fella yelled up to him and yelled, "Don't jump, man. Bird lives!" The would-be jumper answered, "Who's Bird?" The man did a double take then looked up and yelled, "Jump M_____ F___er!"

There is simply no excuse for any Broncos fan that actually watched the game to not know who #31 was after his performance and attention brought to his name. I understand the argument for not knowing the other team's players... but, if someone is going to talk smack about it after the fact without knowing the other characters is reason for dismissal of what they have to say. It's been suggested that those type of people pretty much live in a bubble or be fixated only on their premier name players. Yes, I think that is the type of guy I ran into (and seem to run into with great frequency). They know nothing much if at all about why a championship game played out the way it did. Yet, they wish that I lend them my ear.

May also be one of the reasons Vernon Davis is asking for more money - Kam Chancellor at least twice per year.

OP
OP
TeamoftheCentury

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
OneLofaTatupu":3pevz548 said:
TeamoftheCentury":3pevz548 said:
hawksfansinceday1":3pevz548 said:

May also be one of the reasons Vernon Davis is asking for more money - Kam Chancellor at least twice per year.

Maybe Vernon Davis has lost his nerve and the money is just an excuse. ;) How much money does it take to have be the primary target of a killa on the other side of the ball at least twice a year?

Seahawks_Super_Bowl_Kam.jpg
52eddcc86cccbimage
131203-61a8119765.jpg
Hi res 158691110 crop exact
seahawks-near-big-hit-op6k-58323-mid-walter-iooss-jr.jpg

iooss-48-36.jpg
Super_Bowl_Football_inev14_t607.jpg
image.jpg

Latest posts