Could this be our best team since 2013?

nash72

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":13ujs0ru said:
On balance, I see anywhere from 9-11 wins.

Agreed. I called 10 after seeing the schedule.

Largent80

Reaction score
To answer the OP, the answer is yes.

A great deep draft, and we have made some decent depth in the secondary already.

Hard to say about the O-Line, but experience where there was none before is promising.

The running game should be much improved and that will help out our QB.

RiverDog

Reaction score
One can sure see the full range of spectrum between the glass half full, Kool Aid drinking optimists and the Debbie downers, rain on every parade fans.

I tend to fall somewhere in the middle. We have a lot of work to do before we can come close to approaching the greatness of that 2013 squad, but on the other hand, we still have a solid core of players around which a great team can be molded.

I guess I'll have to tune in and see how it all plays out.

penihawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":2klvspik said:
We've been a contender for five years in a row now and look to remain that way for at least a while longer. We've had three down seasons in the last decade and a half and an overall winning record as a franchise. That's amazing in today's NFL and if a vocal minority insist on being unhappy anyways then that's their loss.

Personally, I think it's easy for fans to look at the 2013 with rose colored glasses simply because we had the best outcome that year. We didn't always look good, losing two of our last three divisional games and had a handful of wins that we could have easily lost (@Texans, Bucs). Then in 2014 we lost a Super Bowl that we could have easily have won.

One outcome was great and the other outcome sucked, but if you can take a step back from only reacting to outcomes and look at the long-term view it's clear that the key to post season success is frequent trips to the post season. Things will eventually go your way every now and then and you'll get the outcome you want. The Patriots have been sent home from the playoffs most of the time during their current dynasty but they've been consistently good long enough to have plays like 2014 win them championships to make up for the years when they lose in the playoffs due to similarly close plays.

Very well said. We have the roster in place to win it all. You need good play,health and a little luck along the way to get to yhe SB and win it. Atlanta should have won the SB last year, how many put them in that spot this time last year? We will be right in the mix again this year and as usual it will come down to who is healthy and gets hot in the playoffs. :2thumbs:

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
We defniitely have the potential for it.

I'm really interested to see the improvement of last years' rookie class. This year we should see some real quality in their play. Years two and three are where you start seeing them blossom. After bad 2013 and '14 drafts, I think we should have a realistic expectation of seeing good play from a very deep pool of additions in 2016.

The ones I'm keeping the closest eyes to are McEvoy and Procise. These two players really flashed special quality last year. In the case of Tanner, he could well be the best addition to the team if he continues his development. The guy probably made as many impact plays as any other on the offense not named Baldwin or Wilson.

Not too worried about the incoming class as far as this year goes. This is a season where last year's investments need to rise up. I have a lot more hopeful outlook that they will do so than the last few draft classes.

Hyak

Reaction score
There's no question to me that this team on paper is probably closer to the 2013/2014 teams than the last two years as they have certainly upgraded depth and competition at a number of positions. It also appears that the drafts of the last 2 years were much better than 2013 and 2014.

That said, they still need another starting caliber CB (doable in this draft) and I'd love to see another quality edge rusher added to the mix. The quality on the DL in 2013 was elite and special and IMO that's been the biggest difference in the teams since - even 2014 when they made the SB. I can even argue that it's more important now given that Bennett and Avril are getting a little older.

Offensively, I like where they are at on paper. I expect the OL play to be elevated and people forget that the ending starting 5 together saw the offense average 26 points/game.

The outcome of the draft and perhaps a veteran add closer to camp should bring things into better focus but they should be very good and potentially great if things break right for them.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
nash72":14od6hhn said:
jammerhawk":14od6hhn said:
It must be wearing on Nash 72 to be so unremitting in his negativity. Everything sucks all the time, the Head Coach can't control his hopelessly incompetent assistant coaches, even though the team is a consistent annual 2nd round or better playoff team, nothing is any good, Firing the coaching staff for him would be a fine start. I suppose it's hard to be disappointed when everything sucks, it's just as you expect it.

Maybe he should look elsewhere for a team that meets his expectations, but even the Patriots
May not
Live up
And if not
No team will. After all the Hawks suck, to him at any rate.

Many here disagree completely with his negativity, and his post above which I won't repeat causes me to say I totally disagree. I sure notice the negativity rankles a few here from time to time. It derails threads and brings the tone down. Maybe that's the goal, different strokes I suppose. However, it's tedious. I do unfortunately believe he likes to create arguments.

To his post I can only say whatever? You Nash are the hands down Mr. Positivity award winner .... Eeyore would be proud.

How could the team not be better with the injured players returning, the depth improved, some potentially legitimate competitors added through the draft? I believe it will be, even if you don't.

Man thats a long post just to react to mine. Are you going to respond to the other posters who feel the same way? 2013 had a historically good defense which we no longer have. 2013 we had a healthy and hungry Marshawn Lynch that we no longer have. We had a superior Oline compared to the tragedy we have now. With barely any improvements from last year, why is it such a stretch to say the 2013 team will go down as being far better?

Health.

Which we were missing last year, a factor you continue to ignore because it doesn't suit your "frustrated over a quiet FA" narrative.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Both linemen added will likely be the starting guards this season which is an upgrade from last year and very important for shorter QB's. Neither broke the bank and were actually better deals than a lot of the other starting FA linemen got. Okung is not the best linemen in the league yet is now paid that way. He will not suddenly make the Chargers a playoff team.

Some of you seem to think there's this unlimited supply of money in FA to just throw at players; bad teams do this and ultimately can't afford other core players down the road. Superstars generally don't make it to free agency.

Everything indicates the FO will add some fresh blood to the secondary through the draft and this is the best DB class in a long time. Should hopefully get a starter and some nice depth.

Get the offensive line back to consistently 'average' (or better), find a young CB to start across from Sherm, hope the core players don't get injured. No reason to think this team won't be in SB talks come playoff time.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
mistaowen":2iohm4lb said:
Both linemen added will likely be the starting guards this season which is an upgrade from last year and very important for shorter QB's.

Pete sounds like Joeckel will be starting at LT. He went out of his way to say that Fant needs to sit and learn, which is unusual. I'm not nearly as harsh on Glowinski as some people are around here. He had some terrific plays.

mikeak

Reaction score
RiverDog":33k9v42v said:
One can sure see the full range of spectrum between the glass half full, Kool Aid drinking optimists and the Debbie downers, rain on every parade fans.

I tend to fall somewhere in the middle. We have a lot of work to do before we can come close to approaching the greatness of that 2013 squad, but on the other hand, we still have a solid core of players around which a great team can be molded.

I guess I'll have to tune in and see how it all plays out.

+1

mistaowen

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3af5al6k said:
mistaowen":3af5al6k said:
Both linemen added will likely be the starting guards this season which is an upgrade from last year and very important for shorter QB's.

Pete sounds like Joeckel will be starting at LT. He went out of his way to say that Fant needs to sit and learn, which is unusual. I'm not nearly as harsh on Glowinski as some people are around here. He had some terrific plays.

Oh really? I hadn't seen anything about that... last I heard he kept mentioning how well he played at LG last year before being injured and liked the idea of it.

chris98251

Reaction score
Pete said last year prior to the season that was the best team he has had here, it fell short, it fell short due to injuries, it fell short because some of our players didn't have the ability and or experience and their learning curve has taken longer then the Staff envisioned.

So I take the lets see what we put together approach and then do the eye test, Cable loves to do musical chairs with the line, sounds like it will happen again with a new RT, LT and RG minimally.

Secondary with our new Safety should be better in coverage and physical again on paper, but with Kam and Earls injuries will they come as hard as in the past. Again the eye test will have to determine this.

RB, Lacy has never shown me to be a back that delivers blows when he runs, Rawls is just the opposite, now if we could switch their brains from each other so the mentality Rawls has was in Lacy we would have a Hall of Famer, we will again have to see if new scenery and coaching can motivate Lacy to be what he could be and hope Rawls is healthy and they can combine to be a Thunder and Lighting combo with Prosise as a DC 's Joker in the deck, is he a runner or a receiver when he steps on the field.

Again this is a wait and see situation.

Largent80

Reaction score
Were doomed, right?

Oh the Doom and Gloom of it all, Pete, Darrell, Tom, Kris....all underqualified and so terrible at every aspect of their jobs.

And the Players...Oh My GAWD......Suck, Suck, Suck everywhere you look.

Maybe the worst playoff team every year for 5 years that the league has EVER seen.

Doomed I tell you.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":26qo0fob said:
Pete said last year prior to the season that was the best team he has had here,

For me, that really is all I need to remember (along with other coaches making similar statements over the years) when listening to the hype coming from the coaching staff.

Fool me once, shame on you.....fool me twice, shame on me.

As I stated, seeing is believing with this team. Could go either way, too many variables, and it sure as heck won't be anywhere near 2013 without a strong draft and several other factors swinging our way.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Way too much to still settle before we really know. I love the optimism, better than being all gloom and doom.
Gotta' see how the draft and free agency plays out. Let alone the players who get cut from teams because of $. Some good players usually become available, especially the surprise cuts etc.

HawkGA

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":7iuwf76v said:
HawkGA":7iuwf76v said:
Appreciate the positivity but I wouldn't say Jarran Reed and Quinton Jefferson are due for breakout seasons. Hopefully they make good contributions and maybe they'll even be awesome. But let's be honest, if they are awesome it will be a welcome surprise, not that they are due.

Any particular reasoning behind that? I'd say Reed has already justified his draft slot by not providing a letdown from freakin' Brandon Mebane.

I think Reed has likely been fine. I guess on him I'm not really sure what it means to be "due" a big season would be. Hopefully he continues to be solid. Maybe he surprises and gives some good pass rush. But let's be honest, that would be more surprise than being "due". Jefferson certainly isn't due anything. He's a rookie who missed his rookie season. Hopefully he pans out and is awesome. That would be great (obviously).

My comment wasn't meant to hate on either player. But being "due" to me sounds like a great player who has been in a bit of a slump for a few games and is ready for a big game. Of any Seahawk, I would say that Sherman is due for a great season. Maybe even Graham (though a lot of that has to do with how he is used versus anything he does himself).

nash72

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":7rpdvd8s said:
nash72":7rpdvd8s said:
jammerhawk":7rpdvd8s said:
It must be wearing on Nash 72 to be so unremitting in his negativity. Everything sucks all the time, the Head Coach can't control his hopelessly incompetent assistant coaches, even though the team is a consistent annual 2nd round or better playoff team, nothing is any good, Firing the coaching staff for him would be a fine start. I suppose it's hard to be disappointed when everything sucks, it's just as you expect it.

Maybe he should look elsewhere for a team that meets his expectations, but even the Patriots
May not
Live up
And if not
No team will. After all the Hawks suck, to him at any rate.

Many here disagree completely with his negativity, and his post above which I won't repeat causes me to say I totally disagree. I sure notice the negativity rankles a few here from time to time. It derails threads and brings the tone down. Maybe that's the goal, different strokes I suppose. However, it's tedious. I do unfortunately believe he likes to create arguments.

To his post I can only say whatever? You Nash are the hands down Mr. Positivity award winner .... Eeyore would be proud.

How could the team not be better with the injured players returning, the depth improved, some potentially legitimate competitors added through the draft? I believe it will be, even if you don't.

Man thats a long post just to react to mine. Are you going to respond to the other posters who feel the same way? 2013 had a historically good defense which we no longer have. 2013 we had a healthy and hungry Marshawn Lynch that we no longer have. We had a superior Oline compared to the tragedy we have now. With barely any improvements from last year, why is it such a stretch to say the 2013 team will go down as being far better?

Health.

Which we were missing last year, a factor you continue to ignore because it doesn't suit your "frustrated over a quiet FA" narrative.

Were we close to the 2013 team before all the injuries? No. I realize RW was fat and was hurt for most of the season, but even he being totally healthy wasnt going to solve our issues with the Oline and the aging defense that cant seem to hold teams when the offense is going scoreless for 3 or so quarters. This current team is far from being close to the 2013 team.

Speaking of injuries, does anybody think Procise and Rawls will make an entire season without getting hurt? If so, I have some swampland in Florida i'd like to sell you. Will Thomas and Lockett be 100% after broken legs or will they have lost a step? Will Wilson survive another season behind that menagerie of a line? Optimistic is a strong word. Hopeful would be the better term.

nash72

Reaction score
Largent80":2wg3mdlz said:
Were doomed, right?

Oh the Doom and Gloom of it all, Pete, Darrell, Tom, Kris....all underqualified and so terrible at every aspect of their jobs.

And the Players...Oh My GAWD......Suck, Suck, Suck everywhere you look.

Maybe the worst playoff team every year for 5 years that the league has EVER seen.

Doomed I tell you.

Where's your optimism? Cheer up already.

mikeak

Reaction score
I like the negativity towards negative posters..........

It is a forum - some are going to be a lot more pessimistic about the state of affairs and others are going to be the opposite

We have no idea how Joeckel, Richardsson, Rawls, Procise and Thomas will be recovered from their injuries and ability to stay healthy

We have no idea what upcoming injuries will be there (they will be there)

We have no idea what players or even positions will be taken in the draft

Do we have a playoff caliber core team despite all our issues -- YES ABSOLUTELY

Could it be the best team since 2013 - sure - could it be the worst team since 2013 - sure

Now lets discuss something where we have more information - is there life on other planets in our solar system?.........