Could this be our best team since 2013?

RiverDog

Reaction score
Seymour":20ew0zlq said:
For me, that really is all I need to remember (along with other coaches making similar statements over the years) when listening to the hype coming from the coaching staff.

Fool me once, shame on you.....fool me twice, shame on me.

As I stated, seeing is believing with this team. Could go either way, too many variables, and it sure as heck won't be anywhere near 2013 without a strong draft and several other factors swinging our way.

I agree completely, and although my characterization of "Kool Aid drinkers" is probably a little too caustic, I'm referring to those of us that buy into the hype coming out of the VMAC. I'm absolutely certain that even Pete doesn't always believe what he's saying. Especially given his positive upbeat personality, IMO he'll intentionally and consciously go over the top and say otherwise outlandish things simply to motivate his players and the people around the team. I mean, what else is he going to say, that it's the worst team since he's been here?

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Love all the definitive statements when the information is incomplete. We will know the correct answer at the end of the season. But, there is nothing wrong with saying the potential could be there. This is the first season they haven't lost a ton of talent, and continuity matters in this sport. I can say that if the 2013 team is your benchmark, you will probably be disappointed a lot more often than not.

Hyak

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":34i928l8 said:
Except almost that exact team came back to take us to the SB the very next year.

And that team played one of the greatest dynasties to a standstill, even with one of the greatest coaches ever on the their sideline.

But for the failure of our own OC we win that game.

So even then, the question makes no sense.

Our team is nowhere near as good defensively, the offensive line is worse and we haven't made up for those short comings offensively. Nor will we.

The 2013 and even 2014 teams were special windows of time this team was playing special football with some of the best players ever at their positions in their prime.

Again, a baffling question.

Short answer, not even close.

To me, I think the 2014 team was significantly less talented across the roster and the quality of depth was what really set apart 2013 in my mind.

Between 2013 and 2014, consider the player turnover:

DL - Bryant, Clemons, McDonald
CB - Thurmond, Browner
WR - Tate, Rice (retired)
OL - Giacomini
FB - Mike Rob retired

In 2014, Harvin got traded after game 5 and Zach Miller was injured after 3 games.

Britt was really the only contributing rookie and he wasn't great as a RT.

If they nail day 1 & 2 of the draft, this team has the potential to be as good as 2014 but matching 2013 will be pretty damn hard.

Largent80

Reaction score
The question was/is could this be the best team since 2013, NOT will it be as good.

Right now I would say the potential is there. The team has to get a lot better in the trenches for it to happen.

Hyak

Reaction score
Clearly the outcome of the Sherman situation and draft will help give a better view of this team's potential.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
nash72":3nptlc9e said:
West TX Hawk":3nptlc9e said:
On balance, I see anywhere from 9-11 wins.

Agreed. I called 10 after seeing the schedule.

I'm with this. I think we start weaker, but end stronger. We have a lot of unknowns this year. CB, RB, interior pass rush, OL etc. I like the lacy pickup. Guy runs like a bowling ball. If he gets out to a good start and gains confidence he could be a huge factor for us to open up the offense.

Last year I had very high hopes. Looked like a great team, but that broke down as time went on. Injuries happened yes, but many of those injuries were caused by a horrid OL and poor offensive gameplanning. If lacy can open up the run it will help take the pressure off of the LT and RT and allow them to develop a bit.

CB is a big question mark. In the past we got a lot of coverage sacks. Our backfield is pretty solid, but I don't know if you could recreate 2013.

All in all, I will mostly be looking at how our offense is used, or not. Bevell and cable took a lot of heat from the media and players last year, and maybe the time off to reflect and watch some of the game tape will force some changes in scheme and using players to their strenghts vs trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

Aside from some miraculous divine intervention, we should take our division fairly easily to make the playoffs. I do see kicking being a MAJOR issue this year. We have taken for granted having a pretty solid kicker for the most part. We got used to 50 yarders to win games for several years, but that could very well change. I don't disagree with letting haush walk as his low and off target kicks really increased a lot, but so far our answer to replacing him has been pretty uninspiring.

Really have to wait until the draft to see what we do there. Historically we trade early picks for quantity in later rounds. I see us doing this again as it seems like they are really ramping up the "competition" mantra again.

I'm not worried about boykin. I think he will come along just fine. The mistakes he has made have been lack of experience "panic" type mistakes, but has flashed brilliance in our style of backyard football. With our style of playcalling, broken plays that turn into chaotic scrambles for good yards are where we have paid our bills.

Our TE's could really break out this year. I'm pretty happy with our receivers overall, so that leaves some room to develop and draft at other positions.

I'll hang my pre-draft record hat on 11 wins, ZERO TIES!