Could we get anything good for Boykin from:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":yycjtz3w said:
Ad Hawk":yycjtz3w said:
If Tarvaris is worth something, why is he unemployed?

Wondered that as well. Nobody wants him.

Siouxhawk?
Thanks for asking, Hawkpower. I tried to answer that earlier, but maybe didn't do that well. My thought was that because Pete and John know Tarvaris so well, perhaps they're just letting training camp play out, give Tavone maximum reps and then decide who they want as their backup QB heading into the regular season. If they sign Tarvaris after rosters are established next week, they also wouldn't have to give him a guaranteed deal and their cap hit would be reduced. The risks are obvious -- 1) As a free agent, Tarvaris can sign with any team; 2) If Boykin goes to the practice squad, he can be poached by any team.

As far as why no other team has signed T-Jack to this point, I'll admit I'm a bit puzzled. The guy has a .500 record in the league, has thrown more touchdowns than picks, has grown his QB rating in the years where he's been given ample amount of snaps and has been endorsed by Pete and John as their backup the last 3 years. Obviously the domestic assault charge scared some teams off, but he was cleared of those wrongdoings rather quickly by the law. It would be unjust for false accusations to deny him of employment. Like any of us, I don't know if there's things going on behind the scenes as this is a private matter. For all I know, he and his wife are undergoing counseling and he won't resume his career until that facet of his life is settled. Maybe Pete knows that too. Just speculating.

Even if this scenario with T-Jack doesn't play out, what are we looking for with Tavone? Two
or three years of development and then seek a trade? Career caddy to Russ as time would be on his side, unlike Tarvaris? How long would he settle for that role? What if the injuries this year would make for what could turn out to be the best option to trade him and we miss out?

mrt144

Reaction score
This is bananas. If T-Jack is this good why don't the Vikings sign him?

As UDFA the salary of Boykin is obviously the better value than t jack on a longer and defined time frame.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
And by the way, Boykin's first name is Trevone, not Tavone. He's currently a Seahawk, Taverus [sic] is not.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
TJack is done and Boykin is the backup QB. PC said they love Boykin's athleticism. The team does not have to change anything with him in there. PC has said it several times. Everybody knows TJack can't run well enough to do some of the plays they run when RW is in there. But Boykin can.

Rob12

Reaction score
A UDFA rookie QB isn't what the Vikings are after. I like Boykin a lot, but no. Plenty of other options will be out there for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob12

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2xsi94xm said:
Excellent idea. A lot of you just want to keep Boykin to develop him and trade him for a pick. Why not just do it now and bring back Tarvaris. We get a more reliable backup and a draft pick to boot.

Not sure if serious...

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Rob12":245pve47 said:
A UDFA rookie QB isn't what the Vikings are after. I like Boykin a lot, but no. Plenty of other options will be out there for them.

It's curious to see the moves Dallas is making looking at Austin Davis (previous ties to the Browns, a team recently known for stellar QBs!), but you're right; neither of these teams would look at Boykin as a plus over even what they currently have.

Rob12

Reaction score
sutz":3taahxkq said:
Ad Hawk":3taahxkq said:
If TJ was worth signing, why wouldn't Minny sign him instead of trading for a rookie UDFA?

Boom goes the dynamite.

That's the million dollar question.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Rob12":37urnznu said:
sutz":37urnznu said:
Ad Hawk":37urnznu said:
If TJ was worth signing, why wouldn't Minny sign him instead of trading for a rookie UDFA?

Boom goes the dynamite.

That's the million dollar question.
I've answered that earlier. As far as your assessment that the Vikings wouldn't entertain bringing in a UDFA quarterback, you'd better look at their roster, because that's all that they're left with.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":2bucfxvs said:
I don't think anyone would take Boykin over TJack right now.

I'd take Boykin every single time. Jackson is done and people need to understand this.

If he is so good why aren't the Vikings getting him in right now?

Edit: MFW you realise everyone else said what you said but you didn't read the whole thread before posting.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
v1rotv2":3ebmtwo5 said:
TJack is done and Boykin is the backup QB. PC said they love Boykin's athleticism. The team does not have to change anything with him in there. PC has said it several times. Everybody knows TJack can't run well enough to do some of the plays they run when RW is in there. But Boykin can.
And for 4 of the past 5 years Pete raved about what Tarvaris brought to the table. It's who he is. You can't tell me that the wide receivers wouldn't be more comfortable with T-Jack throwing them passes.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2li40jcl said:
You can't tell me that the wide receivers wouldn't be more comfortable with T-Jack throwing them passes.

I think I can say exactly that. If TJ could actually get them the ball and run Pete's offense, he'd be here. He'd be worth the money as a consistent backup who connected with the WRs.

TJ's leadership/experience isn't needed anymore, since RW has that in spades. It's about younger, dynamic players with more upside than TJ has ever shown. It's not about the past. And this isn't in any way a slam against what TJ did for the hawks.

In terms of gushing about TJ, Pete raves about all his players' upsides or positives, it's who he is. That doesn't mean he thinks TJ is better than Boykin. If he did, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3439hnvq said:
Excellent idea. A lot of you just want to keep Boykin to develop him and trade him for a pick. Why not just do it now and bring back Tarvaris. We get a more reliable backup and a draft pick to boot.

brah...

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":cpmdluc4 said:
Siouxhawk":cpmdluc4 said:
You can't tell me that the wide receivers wouldn't be more comfortable with T-Jack throwing them passes.

I think I can say exactly that. If TJ could actually get them the ball and run Pete's offense, he'd be here. He'd be worth the money as a consistent backup who connected with the WRs.

TJ's leadership/experience isn't needed anymore, since RW has that in spades. It's about younger, dynamic players with more upside than TJ has ever shown. It's not about the past. And this isn't in any way a slam against what TJ did for the hawks.

In terms of gushing about TJ, Pete raves about all his players' upsides or positives, it's who he is. That doesn't mean he thinks TJ is better than Boykin. If he did, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
The entire point I was making is that it still wouldn't surprise me if Pete called Tarvaris back into duty as his backup after exhausting every look he could get in training camp with Trevone and Heaps. He knows what he has in Tarvaris, so that refresher course wouldn't be needed, especially if he's working out some personal issues during this time.

And it certainly is important to have a veteran leader at the quarterback position should things go wrong. He's been through the wringer and would likely be a more calming influence and keep his head better in running the offense. And don't be so sure that Russ wouldn't benefit from having T-Jack by his side again -- it's pretty much been that way since Russ began his professional climb, excluding that first year, and Im sure they've developed a kindred dialogue.

Look, if you're saying that Boykin is the better backup presently to Tarvaris and you're willing to roll with him in an emergency with a Super Bowl-caliber team assembled, I'll respect your viewpoint. I just see things the other way. And because of that, I replied to this thread that I think trading Boykin now when his services could be at an all-time high wouldn't be such a bad idea.

peppersjap

Reaction score
TJack has not taken a meaningful snap in 5 years and he was a 7-9 QB at that point. I would feel way more comfortable with Boykin because we don't have to change our offense if he comes in. Anyone who thinks Tavaris is mobile is going way back in history. As for the subject of this post, Boykin has value. If we try to put him on the practice squad someone will sign him and take him away from us but no one is going to trade anything of value for him and he is way more valuable to us on our roster making very little money.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Incessant discussion of Tarvaris Jackson is beating a dead horse. The fact that the state attorney has decided not to prosecute at this time is not the same thing as an exoneration. The details of the June incident were ugly, and the organization likely has more facts than you or I. Failure to prosecute would not prevent the NFL from deciding to suspend him. The new personal conduct policy explicitly allows for the league to levy punishment absent criminal prosecution. Let sleeping dogs lie or at least contain your TJ enthusiasm to the NFL Forum (where non-Seahawk players are supposed to be discussed).

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":10abw0kr said:
Ad Hawk":10abw0kr said:
Siouxhawk":10abw0kr said:

The entire point I was making is that it still wouldn't surprise me if Pete called Tarvaris back into duty as his backup after exhausting every look he could get in training camp with Trevone and Heaps. He knows what he has in Tarvaris, so that refresher course wouldn't be needed, especially if he's working out some personal issues during this time.

And it certainly is important to have a veteran leader at the quarterback position should things go wrong. He's been through the wringer and would likely be a more calming influence and keep his head better in running the offense. And don't be so sure that Russ wouldn't benefit from having T-Jack by his side again -- it's pretty much been that way since Russ began his professional climb, excluding that first year, and Im sure they've developed a kindred dialogue.

Look, if you're saying that Boykin is the better backup presently to Tarvaris and you're willing to roll with him in an emergency with a Super Bowl-caliber team assembled, I'll respect your viewpoint. I just see things the other way. And because of that, I replied to this thread that I think trading Boykin now when his services could be at an all-time high wouldn't be such a bad idea.
Always Compete! Souixhawk. Just don't forget to take the dead horse (TJ) in the corner with you when you accept reality. 8)

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2016":1by1q53r said:
Incessant discussion of Tarvaris Jackson is beating a dead horse. The fact that the state attorney has decided not to prosecute at this time is not the same thing as an exoneration. The details of the June incident were ugly, and the organization likely has more facts than you or I. Failure to prosecute would not prevent the NFL from deciding to suspend him. The new personal conduct policy explicitly allows for the league to levy punishment absent criminal prosecution. Let sleeping dogs lie or at least contain your TJ enthusiasm to the NFL Forum (where non-Seahawk players are supposed to be discussed).
You're right in that we are not privy to this information. What we know is that the Florida court dropped all charges. If the NFL deemed that the allegations were baseless, he also wouldn't face a suspension. I'd be curious what more NFL investigators could find out about the evening.
And for the record, Tarvaris' record in 2011 was 7-7.

sutz

Reaction score
Rob12":3hxfmnd3 said:
Siouxhawk":3hxfmnd3 said:

Not sure if serious...
Not sure if serious either, but definitely trolling about it. Probably a TJ sock puppet of some kind. Maybe his brother. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.