Cowherd "RW smartest QB ever"

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I love Russell, but does everything, everywhere, all the time need to be hyperbole?

Greenhell

Reaction score
In my book, he's elite. I really gave up caring or looking for validation from the media pundits.

I will say this though, he and the Hawks win SB50 without a true running game NO one will be able to deny his elite status.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Scottemojo":ut8bzzsx said:
Russ never gets hit? Is he on crack? I can list a dozen times he has gotten smoked.

But, nanobubbles...

Well, he admits he's not a big "stats" guy so he probably didn't count the Clay Mathews hit. :)

That said, his point about Russell being smart about when he takes a hit is on the mark. Take it when you have to get the ball out, to get a critical first down or a TD. I cringe when I watch Luck as he goes down hard multiple times a game and more often than not, at least this year, it's for an incomplete or an int. And RGIII? He's out of the game in part because he didn't figure out how to avoid getting hit.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I never understood the hate Cowherd gets. Yes he can be opinionated at times, but that is his job. He is very knowledgeable about sports and usually brings something new to the table.

HawkGA

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":1kcepcuh said:
HawkGA":1kcepcuh said:
FlyHawksFly":1kcepcuh said:
Cowherd is the worst.

This is demonstrably false. Listen to the Dan Lebatard Show. Listen to the morning crew Fox Sports has. Complain about Cowherd all you want but there are plenty of sports radio hosts who seem to make it their goal every day to try to be the worst. And they do a much better job of it than Cowherd does.

Cowherd is the worst, to me. Better?

Incorrect!

Seriously though, have you listened to Lebatard? He's horrible. But even he is probably preferable to the Fox Radio morning crew.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1ia3kwey said:
I never understood the hate Cowherd gets. Yes he can be opinionated at times, but that is his job. He is very knowledgeable about sports and usually brings something new to the table.

I'm cool with Cowherd, as far as annoying talking heads, he's pretty far down the list past the Skip Bayless's of the world.

McGruff

Reaction score
I think the only Qb currently playing I'd put above Wilson is Rodgers. After that he's in the mix with Brady for the top 3. Everyone else is after those 3.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":39g63gvv said:
Its very odd to me that it seems everyone is off cloud 9 especially when Russell Wilson is making such an historic run.

Two years ago, I wrote a post that headlined, "Russell Wilson is Not Elite, Not Yet"

Pretty much Tical and I were torn to pieces for 7+ pages and the thread got shacked. I cant remember what Tical argued.

But the gist of my argument was that Wilson hasnt established elite consistency for 4+ years to vet his status.

That he still needed to clean up some things in his game mostly the negative plays as well as making plays from the pocket.

I thought 2014 was going to be his breakout year into that elite tier but I think Wilson is going to be well thought of moving forward, especially if he carries this team on his back and passes his way to a third SB at continued historical effeciency pushing his dominant run to 11 games. XL being the the 11th.

I think if Russ can do that, no doubt he's one of the best in the NFL moving forward, if not the best especially amongst the under 32 crowd.

The blame was always on Wilson though, QBs having a passing rhythm is the most important factor. Russell always had the tools necessary to make the throws that he's been criticized for. Many questions his height for the reasons of the short passing game to the using the middle of the field, and why we only used the deep ball and sidelines, fade routes, simple concepts, etc. Those are the knocks that was repeated for 3+ years. So this year he is crazy good in the pocket and people wonder what the heck happened? Phillip Rivers was a deep ball guy for many years, he didn't start the quick passing game until 3 years ago, why did it take the Chargers so long to teach him that? Because they needed to a way to protect a QB that was getting sacked on slow developing plays that's why.

Wilson didn't wake up one morning before the Arizona game this year and said ok I'm going to learn how to pass in the middle, and have a quick passing game and be very good at it in ONE WEEK. He's always had it, but was rarely given the chance to do it consistency due to pressure upon pressure from his O-line. Sure some sacks can be place on Wilson and he will be the first to say so. What changed is the need to move on from the Lynch offense to the Wilson offense, that's the difference. The first 3+ years were Lynch's offense, they built that around him, you can see why our WR block most than others around the league. Wilson's job was to pretty much give the ball to the play-makers but on explosive plays, that usually ended up being the deep ball, he was great for that for a long time until opposing defense started stopping it, then they found out how to minimize the read option. That's what happened during the early game stretch. Teams stopped our deep routes, minimize Wilson's read option and stuff Lynch for the most lost of yardage I've ever seen from him. Teams figured out how to stop a Lynch led offense.

In a two minute drill for a long time when Wilson is getting the ball out quickly is where I saw that he could operate in the quick passing game. This should of given some folks some hope, but most people dismissed it.

I was always on Wilson's side and saw the upside even when he had bad games. Consider the fact that all of a sudden Bevell became a really good play-caller you gotta think that Pete and his philosophy was what was stopping the passing game to become what it needed to be. Once Lynch was injured they had to change it somewhere and I'm glad they went and talked things over.

Remember the old play calling, run run pass. How do you become consistent when other teams knows when the run or pass is coming.

This is why we are doing much better as an offense, teams can't game planned for a simple run or pass team, we are now dangerous because they haven't seen this type of offense from the Seahawks before and they are ill-prepared.

This is my opinion of what I've seen through the years, so some will have a different perspective but at least in the end we are both enjoying this Wilson led offense and the crazy thing is, he's just getting started with it.

Hawks46

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":2sjtg32m said:
Cowherd is the worst.

You obviously don't listen to Jim Rome. He calls his audience "drones" and is almost completely about drama. There's very little substance to that show.

Every time I hear his voice with all the dramatic inflections, I want to punch him in the face.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Aros":sherscdk said:
I often wonder why there is such reluctance around the league to call him elite. Is it simply because he has to earn the title by putting in the time? Is 4 years too soon to call a QB elite? I think that's ridiculous. It can't be the size thing can it? I know there is a bias to consider Russell a "true" quarterback until he shows he can be a pocket passer. Well this past month not only has he shown he can be a pocket passer but he's done it while blowing up historical records AND without Marshawn Lynch who many thought was the real reason behind his success.

All this kid has done since he's been in the league is show that he is as elite quarterback as you can get.

Yet the fools will continue to debate if he's even worthy of the title.

At least some are beginning to wake from their slumbers.

I truly believe that Lynch's absence has forced the Seahawks to revise their "Run First" mantra.
They needed Russell Wilson to take his game to the next level, and went about providing him with the 'better than barely' protection.
I think Wilson's play in the last Month has come as a complete surprise to the competition, (not to me) as they were expecting that he'd be that same Quarterback they'd faced in the past, and that all they'd have to do is put a spy on him, and because there wasn't any kind of Run Game, they'd be able to contain him, well, SURPRISE!, Wilson has proved that he can play and win in a shootout.
Now, Defenses have to go back to the drawing board and try & retool.
I believe that Russell Wilson has had the "IT" factor all along, and that he was being held back with playing Pete Carroll's style of Offense....Run, Run, Run, Throw, rinse and repeat.
Hard to argue PC's theory because he did orchestrate two Super Bowl visits in a row, but with the run game in a quandary, he is playing the hot hand he's been dealt.
I also think Pete was guilty of playing it too conservative when he had a lead, and all those fourth quarter loses made him revamp that philosophy, and Wilson was the perfect Quarterback to run with the changes.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I do believe that Lynch's absence has absolutely been a blessing in disguise. Wilson has proven in spades that not only can he be a pocket passer and put the offense on his back but he can do it better than anyone...At least for a 4 week plus stretch so far.

You can't fake IT and Wilson has always had and never lost IT.

The only thing that keeps Wilson from shining is the league's worst OL (see first half of the season), scheme and just having an off day which every QB has had.

Tical21

Reaction score
He hadn't been seen on that tier because until recently, he hadn't shown a consistent ability to beat teams with his mind and anticipation. There is a huge difference between the last four games or whatever, and the Russell Wilson we had consistently for the previous huge seasons. I know the playcalling has probably improved and the line play has improved, but is this the best line play he has ever had? If so, it isn't by much. I've personally waited a long time for Russell to hit his back foot and get the ball out, especially against man coverage, consistently. It just makes the game so much easier. I know he makes a ton of plays with his feet, but there is a middle ground that he just wasn't getting to. Playing with your mind is sustainable, gets him hit less, takes less sacks, and gets the ball in his playmakers hands. I'm really thoroughly impressed. If he continues anywhere near this level going forward, he's right there with the best.

springscohawk

Reaction score
I enjoy listening to Cowherd because he draws interesting analogies between sports and other areas of life and I think helps to make sports more relevant to our lives, not just entertainment.

I think Cowherd would have been more accurate to just say Russell Wilson is the most instinctive football player ever rather than the smartest, which is really the point he made. Of course stating Russell Wilson is the smartest quarterback gets more attention, which is part of his job too as a sports show host.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
At this time the elite category is really just Brady, Rodgers and Brees.

Luck, Newton, Big Ben and Russell Wilson are fighting to get into the club. There will be a changing of the guard shortly here.

Some reasons why they are not yet elite, whether you agree with it or not.

1) Brady, Rodgers and Brees have been at a top level for a LOOOONG time. To be elite, you have to do it consistently for an extended period of time.

2) Being elite is about accumulating stats, and some of the players don't throw the ball enough to accumulate 5000 yards and 40 TDs. The average fan doesn't care about QB rating, accuracy, efficiency, etc.

3) Defense. Like early on in Beg Ben's career, it was said that he was carried by his defense. The same is happening for Wilson. Whether it is true or not, the perception is that any QB could win with those elite defenses so they aren't as valuable.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HawkerD":8s63i5e8 said:
To admit RW is elite you have to admit you are wrong. Thats the hardest thing for people to do. We have a phycologial addiction to being right and virtually zero pundits thought RW could be a starter in this league.

The pick was panned. Everyone except for the seahawks braintrust thought Flynn should have started. when it worked they had to pin the success of the team on the Defense and run game and discount RW's contribution. Finally 4 years later RW begins to get his.

In the End RW will have a hand full of rings. There will be no denying his effectiveness. The old gaurd will bow down.
Bingo

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":324m2viy said:
Scottemojo":324m2viy said:
Russ never gets hit? Is he on crack? I can list a dozen times he has gotten smoked.

But, nanobubbles...

I think the point was Russ doesn't get 'popped', like taking big, jarring hits very often. Not sure he's right about that either. Me and several others have said for a while that Russ is a mini-tank though. Just very well built for sustainability.

Exactly, I'd agree that's what Cowherd is trying to say. Marcus Allen never seemed to ever take those bone jarring, teeth rattling hits. Neither did Emmit Smith. Each of those guys had an absolute uncanny ability to position their body just so when they did get tackled ... so they always seemed to avoid taking those killer shots. Russell Wilson has the exact same ability. Outside of Clay Matthews and the time Navarro Bowman treated him like a rag doll, name me one killer, bone crushing shot that Wilson has truly taken. If they exist, I'd contend you can count them on one hand. When he does decide to run, he's not RGIII who will fight tooth and nail for every centimeter ... getting himself destroyed by a safety with a full head of steam in the process. He's smart and knows exactly when to get down and slide -- recognizing well when it's time to save the fight for the next down. And now that he's generally getting the ball out quicker than ever before, he's getting touched even less. All of that bodes well for him being a QB who will end up having long term success in this league.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
I remember in 90's when he was the sports guy for one of the Portland channels and HE led up a group that continually bitched and complained about "only seeing the Hawks" on the rionally telecast- HE wanted to see other teams. and NOT be STUCK watching the Hawks- he has never walked past a mirror in his life without kissing himself

Optimus25

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2w0hachp said:
Aros":2w0hachp said:
I often wonder why there is such reluctance around the league to call him elite. Is it simply because he has to earn the title by putting in the time? Is 4 years too soon to call a QB elite? I think that's ridiculous. It can't be the size thing can it? I know there is a bias to consider Russell a "true" quarterback until he shows he can be a pocket passer. Well this past month not only has he shown he can be a pocket passer but he's done it while blowing up historical records AND without Marshawn Lynch who many thought was the real reason behind his success.

All this kid has done since he's been in the league is show that he is as elite quarterback as you can get.

Yet the fools will continue to debate if he's even worthy of the title.

At least some are beginning to wake from their slumbers.

There really is no sound logic for it. If Luck had a remote semblance of Wilson's resume he would be labled not just elite but the best QB in the league anf possibly to ever put on a helmut and it wouldn't matter if he was fielding the best offense, defense, running game and coaching.

My feeling is the only reason he shouldn't be in the conversation with Brady, Rogers, Brees and Manning is simply because he only has 3.5 years on the books. Even then how he has stacked up against all of those guys in thier early careers should be a common topic around the NFL.

Seems to me the NFL is missing out on a fantastic marketing tool. People love superstars. Espeacially ones that are humble and Wilson is both.

Your point about luck was words right outta my brain.

But based on russ's jersey sales alone i don't think the league is failing to squeeze anything outta Wilson marketability wise. I think the LOB was the only limiting factor for his early success drawing major pundit praise, cause after all, his other worldly performance in super bowl 48 was kinda out shined by the fact that he technically didn't have to score at all. (Yeah, i get the counter argument, pundits don't).

Additionally, he's had lynch. The Colts have something crazy like forty games or more without a hundred yard rusher. So what luck was doing was kinda a one man show thus drawing worship and ogling.

That's why to me this season will define his legacy quite possibly more than any. Another super bowl appearance in spite of a defense that isn't annihilating every thing it touches or beast mode for half the season would propel him to the fore front of every media qb analysis for the foreseeable future. In fact another appearance this year and he's basically knocking on the door of hall of fame right there.

mikeak

Reaction score
Cowherd is consistent in this. He said the same thing about Rodgers for the longest time before "moving him up"

Based on the standard that Cowherd has set I agree RW isn't elite. Most likely will be but not yet there