Crabtree about to get overpaid/again

ringless

Reaction score
@RapSheet 4m4 minutes ago
Waiting on firm details, but my understanding is the #Raiders deal for WR Michael Crabtree is worth roughly $8M per year.

The guy always sucked when he was with SF. Never understood the hype. He's never a receiver that I felt could strike fear into an opposing defense, or take over a game.

If I remember correctly he also missed ever training camp but one. In 7 years he has had exactly one 1,000 yd season.
This year he isn't really blowing the top off either.

What does everyone see in the guy? Sherman describes him best. Mediocre

SF49r

Reaction score
Wth he's been a stud in Oakland so far this season...

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
That's a lot of dough to pay a #2 WR, but to be fair he has had a good year. Crabtree is a really good #2 WR, not a #1 WR. Carr and Oakland have a bright future with the weapons on offense.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Leaving the 49ers was the best thing that ever happened to this dude. Don't think he's 8m+/yr good, but he proved alot of doubters wrong from when he was falling off/getting held back with the 49ers.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
SF49r":3nxsdnx8 said:
Wth he's been a stud in Oakland so far this season...

But he isn't worth the price tag. He's a good #2 but that's it. His whole career has been less than impressive and even this year he isn't anything special. I doubt he even gets 1000 yards this year. And if you are going to be getting paid 8 million a year you better find a way to hit that number.

Not to mention he's going to be 29 at the start of next season when his extension kicks in. I doubt he's going to be a WR that excels at the later stage of his career since he hasn't the first 7 years of it.

They are overpaying a #2. That's all he is. All he has ever been

SF49r

Reaction score
Yeah 8m is kinda high especially how injury prone he is. The only time he was ever good with SF was in 2012 when kaepernick took over then he tore his Achilles that offseason and was never the same. But so far this season he has been making plays with carr throwing him the ball, so good for Oakland for keeping him.

And that mediocre receiver sure did make patrick peterson his b**** everytime they played Arizona :stirthepot:

Maulbert

Reaction score
SF49r":2u9anox9 said:
Yeah 8m is kinda high especially how injury prone he is. The only time he was ever good with SF was in 2012 when kaepernick took over then he tore his Achilles that offseason and was never the same. But so far this season he has been making plays with carr throwing him the ball, so good for Oakland for keeping him.

And that mediocre receiver sure did make patrick peterson his b**** everytime they played Arizona :stirthepot:

Yeah, but Sherman had a vacation home in Crabtree's head. It all comes around.

SF49r

Reaction score
Maulbert":2r0z46fp said:
SF49r":2r0z46fp said:

Yeah, but Sherman had a vacation home in Crabtree's head. It all comes around.
You could probably say that to about half of the receivers in the NFL lol

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I have watched several Raiders games this season, and Crabtree looks the same as he always has . . . dead average. He's not dominating, he drops a lot of balls and doesn't make many big plays. I just looked up his catch rate on Football Outsiders: 57%. That is terrible. He wouldn't be worth more than $6 million APY if not for Carr and their OL. Golden Tate is making $6.2 million APY.

nanomoz

Reaction score
He's Carr's safety net. It's one part of the mixture to develop and protect their very-talented young quarterback.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Crabtree is having himself a nice year in Oakland. The inflated contract isn't his fault. If anything, his camp did a good job getting that kind of a contract. He is on pace for a little over 1000 yards and 9 TD's.

Hawks46

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3gu4yieu said:
I have watched several Raiders games this season, and Crabtree looks the same as he always has . . . dead average. He's not dominating, he drops a lot of balls and doesn't make many big plays. I just looked up his catch rate on Football Outsiders: 57%. That is terrible. He wouldn't be worth more than $6 million APY if not for Carr and their OL. Golden Tate is making $6.2 million APY.

Yea, in retrospect, I'd totally take Tate back at 6 million/year. Imagine this trio: Tate, Baldwin and Lockett lined up. No real big guys but good grief, think of the YAC !

I'm drooling thinking about a trips set, then throwing a WR screen. Hell,who gets that, Tate, Lockett ? And all those guys would block well for eachother.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
well, so what if he isn't a #1. 8 mil per year is not #1 money.

He has been a good player for the raiders. Good for him, and them, if this is the deal they do.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1mpxjcb4 said:

He has been a good player for the raiders. Good for him, and them, if this is the deal they do.

Its a 4 year, 35 million dollar deal.

http://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/2015

That puts him in the top 12 paid receivers per year. That's #1 money. I normally agree with you or think you are right on just about everything. But he is over-paid for his production I feel

Scottemojo

Reaction score
ringless":1cussv5b said:
Scottemojo":1cussv5b said:

That puts him in the top 12 paid receivers per year. That's #1 money. I normally agree with you or think you are right on just about everything. But he is over-paid for his production I feel

Top 12? I can't think of 12 receivers I would call number ones.

Calvin. Bryant. Jones. Brown. Marshall. I know am missing a couple, but 12?
The cap is much more than it once was. His QB is still on a rookie deal. 8 mil is not really that silly. It is the top end of that 2nd tier, but 2nd tier is where I would put him.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2s2pce51 said:
ringless":2s2pce51 said:
Scottemojo":2s2pce51 said:

The cap is much more than it once was. His QB is still on a rookie deal. 8 mil is not really that silly. It is the top end of that 2nd tier, but 2nd tier is where I would put him.

Green, Beckham, Thomas, Hopkins, and Fitzgerald, plus Cooper will be there soon. Also Jordy Nelson, as it has become clear that you need to be able to do more than just fog a mirror to catch Aaron Rodgers' passes. That's 12 right there worth more than Crabtree, and I'd even throw in Jeffery as a potential #1.

Threedee

Reaction score
This is an important time for Oakland's passing game. Since key components such as Cooper and TE Wolford are rookies, they can afford to overpay Crabtree for a while.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Maulbert":1fwdd2x0 said:
Scottemojo":1fwdd2x0 said:
ringless":1fwdd2x0 said:
Scottemojo":1fwdd2x0 said:

Green, Beckham, Thomas, Hopkins, and Fitzgerald, plus Cooper will be there soon. Also Jordy Nelson, as it has become clear that you need to be able to do more than just fog a mirror to catch Aaron Rodgers' passes. That's 12 right there worth more than Crabtree, and I'd even throw in Jeffery as a potential #1.
Good list.
I still can't begrudge the guy his money.