Crabtree about to get overpaid/again

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Threedee":3w3mttyx said:
This is an important time for Oakland's passing game. Since key components such as Cooper and TE Wolford are rookies, they can afford to overpay Crabtree for a while.

Yep, and they also have a stupid amount of cap room, which under the new CBA, they have to spend to hit the salary floor.

The Raiders' talent is also really young too, so a four year deal works really well for them, and also locks him until he's 31 so their not stuck with him during his decline.

As for 8 million, to me, with the cap going up to 153, that sounds about right for a WR who provides a specfic thing really really well, but isn't a multidimensional player.

Just as an example, Torrey Smith also makes about 8 million per. He's one of the best deep threats in the game and opens up underneath routes even though he's only had one 1K yard season in his career. He's basically below average at short and intermediate routes and YAC off them, but he's at the top of his game in the thing he does well.

It's the same story with Crabtree, whose a precise route runner, has good hands, is a chain mover and eeks out an extra yard or two in YAC from the typical guy, but is really one-dimensional as a short and intermediate receiver.

If Torrey Smith could also do what Crabtree does (in addition to what he does) or Crabtree could also do what Smith does (in addition to what he does) theyse guys would be getting 12 million per instead of 8 million per.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3lcty0nv said:
Maulbert":3lcty0nv said:
Scottemojo":3lcty0nv said:
ringless":3lcty0nv said:
Top 12? I can't think of 12 receivers I would call number ones.

Calvin. Bryant. Jones. Brown. Marshall. I know am missing a couple, but 12?
The cap is much more than it once was. His QB is still on a rookie deal. 8 mil is not really that silly. It is the top end of that 2nd tier, but 2nd tier is where I would put him.

Green, Beckham, Thomas, Hopkins, and Fitzgerald, plus Cooper will be there soon. Also Jordy Nelson, as it has become clear that you need to be able to do more than just fog a mirror to catch Aaron Rodgers' passes. That's 12 right there worth more than Crabtree, and I'd even throw in Jeffery as a potential #1.
Good list.
I still can't begrudge the guy his money.

This is also a list of guys who make more than Crabtree, or will make more than Crabtree when their off their rookie deals or current deals.

A Brown is gonna get 12 million next year, 13 the year after that, and if he keeps up his production he'll stay up in that range pr higher on his new deal.

Nuke and Beckham are gonna make WAY more than 8 APY as soon as they can, just like Green and Jones are now up at 15 APY.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Maulbert":1x0hex28 said:
Scottemojo":1x0hex28 said:
ringless":1x0hex28 said:
Scottemojo":1x0hex28 said:
well, so what if he isn't a #1. 8 mil per year is not #1 money.

He has been a good player for the raiders. Good for him, and them, if this is the deal they do.

Its a 4 year, 35 million dollar deal.

http://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/2015

That puts him in the top 12 paid receivers per year. That's #1 money. I normally agree with you or think you are right on just about everything. But he is over-paid for his production I feel

Top 12? I can't think of 12 receivers I would call number ones.

Calvin. Bryant. Jones. Brown. Marshall. I know am missing a couple, but 12?
The cap is much more than it once was. His QB is still on a rookie deal. 8 mil is not really that silly. It is the top end of that 2nd tier, but 2nd tier is where I would put him.

Green, Beckham, Thomas, Hopkins, and Fitzgerald, plus Cooper will be there soon. Also Jordy Nelson, as it has become clear that you need to be able to do more than just fog a mirror to catch Aaron Rodgers' passes. That's 12 right there worth more than Crabtree, and I'd even throw in Jeffery as a potential #1.

To say nothing of the fact he isn't even the top receiver on his own team, is he? Sorry, but they way overpaid. Guess they still buy into the hype of being drafted high equaling a fat paycheck. This type of thinking will come back to haunt them later.

Marvin49

Reaction score
As much as I'd like to say the guy sucks because he's succeeding in another city, I've always liked Crab. Many Niner fans didn't like the guy as a result of his rookie holdout and thought he never wanted to be a Niner, but I've always thought he was a really good but not great receiver.

Alex Smith could never really get the ball to him (and has the same issue in KC). When Colin took over he really started to flash what he could be and then he tore his Achilles and was never the same in an SF uniform.

This year it looks like he's completely healthy again.

Honestly, good for him. I'd have liked to see him stick. I miss him making a play on third down to pick up the first. I like what Torrey brings to the offense (currently averaging 23 yards per reception), but he totally lacks the short passing game RAC that Crab had when he was healthy.

Overpaid? Maybe....but I think we need to redefine every year exactly what that means. With a cap # expected to possibly reach 155 million and a young QB leaning on Crab as an outlet...probably well worth the cost.

marko358

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":3lb2vk88 said:
I would say Alshon Jeffrey is #1. He's underrated.
Perhaps you are mistaken but we're not arguing whether Crabtree is the #1 WR in the NFL or for the Bears.

kearly

Reaction score
It's a fair deal. When adjusted for NFL inflation (about 15% per year) it's roughly the same deal that Golden Tate got a couple years ago. It's a fair price for a good #2 WR.

As far as him being higher paid than receivers that are better than he is, that's only because he just signed a deal and they did not. Wilson was nearly made the highest paid QB in the land last summer, but it wasn't because he was the best QB in football. It was because he had just signed a deal, and the other QBs had not.

And when Luck signs his extension next offseason, he will probably be paid more than Wilson, even though he is a less accomplished QB. The more recent your bite at the apple was, the more money you'll get relative to your peers.

HawkGA

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2rv7af1e said:
If he's worth 8 per, what's Baldwin worth?

No kidding. That worries me. How many years does he have left on his deal?

Seafan

Reaction score
They have a lot of cap space. The Hawks overpaid for a backup QB a few years ago too. When you have the money...

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Don't forget there is the California tax issue to pile on top. Raiders are cash strapped, so the contract has no real signing bonus money. The agent turns that into a bit on top as well.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Angry Doug is ticked. Doug has more yards on fewer catches with a little over half of the attempts and more touchdowns and is making less than half of what this guy just got.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Thats a lot of money but the Raiders have to spend it on someone and Amari Cooper will have a rookie deal until 2020.

NINEster

Reaction score
The irony of Ringless talking crap about Crabtree when it was Crab himself doing a # on Patrick Peterson......that jump ball at the goal line in Alex Smith's last full Niner game in AZ, and then later that year the season finale with Kaepernick.

Crabtree is a decent WR, and would elevate a number of elite QB's passing games.

NINEster

Reaction score
rideaducati":36fzlovm said:
Angry Doug is ticked. Doug has more yards on fewer catches with a little over half of the attempts and more touchdowns and is making less than half of what this guy just got.

Baldwin at his peak was never as good as Crabtree at his peak.

Half of Baldwin's catches I see are during the Wilson scramble drill. He would disappear in Oakland.

Jville

Reaction score
NINEster":f8gf9366 said:
rideaducati":f8gf9366 said:

Baldwin at his peak was never as good as Crabtree at his peak.

Half of Baldwin's catches I see are during the Wilson scramble drill. He would disappear in Oakland.

Doug Baldwin has not peaked yet. He has improved every year. Doug's game is still on the way up.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Baldwin is a good WR. I said as much when Hawks fans bemoaned their WR corps.

But I would take Crabtree over him. And I also agree that it's a pretty fair deal. If we're being technical right now, Crabtree is the number 1 WR on that team. Most targets and better production right now.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
The Hawks gave more than $8m per year to 2 different WRs from the Vikings and neither one of them is/was as good as Crabtree. Both of those happened BEFORE the salary cap expansion when salaries were cheaper.

So to the people laughing at the Raiders, at least they gave money to a guy who has shown he is successful in their system.

Did they overpay him? Sure. But they didn't overpay the way Schneider overpays.