Crazy idea, but hear me out. Trade Geno.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Its a thing and Brett Farve was apart of it.
How did Marshawn Lynch not make that list?

olyfan63

Reaction score
2 years out? 3 years out? Yes, there is plenty of high draft picks to be had for a guy who will be benched next year for the QB of the future.
If Geno continues on current pace, he will be the starter next year as well, and any QB we get will have a year of seasoning watching him and learning. Sort of an Alex Smith to new kid Mahomes type of setup.

That said, Geno could have really helped his stock by not taking a huge sack on 3rd and 2 with 6 minutes left in the game. Don't know if it was a Waldron play-call issue, but it was another instance of Geno choking at crunch time. A run would have been a better call. It's like Geno freezes up every time in those 4th quarter do-or-die situations, going back to last year's Saints and Steelers games. Geno's gotten great crunch-time support from the run game, 2 long TD runs by Penny last week, and the 69-yarder from Kenneth Walker this week. Everyone, including Geno, KNEW the Saints would march our D down the field and either run out the clock or score on the next possession

Maui12thman

Reaction score
The trade deadline is November 1st, 1 month away.

You may say "No team will do it because there is not enough time to feed him the playbook/get used to the new offence".

Hogwash!

We are 4 weeks deep and pretty much every team knows what they have at this point. Plenty of teams think they are a QB away from being a contender (Think Denver during the offseason)

They can cram 2 weeks of playbook down Geno and send him out with what he is comfortable with...and learn on the fly.

A team that thinks they are a QB away would trade big for a 77+% completion rate, 6TD 2 INTs and over a 1000 yards in the first 4 games.

Over a years time thats 4100 yards, 24.5 TDs and 8.5 INTs...that is a solid starter!

After the season is over, the Hawks get nothing for him, getting value out of him now is the smartest move!

So what is a solid starter's trade value who only costs pennies?

2 First rounders? A first, 2nd and 3rd?
Your crazy. You start watching football like last year?

Chevy

Reaction score
We should definitely be open to trading Geno. But, as of today I don't see a team that it would make sense to make that move. If a starting QB on a good team gets injured for the year, then maybe a team will come calling.

There could also be an argument to sign Geno, if he continues to have an impressive year, to a long-term contract.

BASF

Reaction score
If Geno continues on current pace, he will be the starter next year as well, and any QB we get will have a year of seasoning watching him and learning. Sort of an Alex Smith to new kid Mahomes type of setup.

That said, Geno could have really helped his stock by not taking a huge sack on 3rd and 2 with 6 minutes left in the game. Don't know if it was a Waldron play-call issue, but it was another instance of Geno choking at crunch time. A run would have been a better call. It's like Geno freezes up every time in those 4th quarter do-or-die situations, going back to last year's Saints and Steelers games. Geno's gotten great crunch-time support from the run game, 2 long TD runs by Penny last week, and the 69-yarder from Kenneth Walker this week. Everyone, including Geno, KNEW the Saints would march our D down the field and either run out the clock or score on the next possession
I take it you didn't actually watch the play being broken down by Millen just a few seconds later with the All-22 view where literally every receiver was blanketed. I'd rather him take that sack then throw an INT. Throwing the INT on that play would have been "choking in crunch time."

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I take it you didn't actually watch the play being broken down by Millen just a few seconds later with the All-22 view where literally every receiver was blanketed. I'd rather him take that sack then throw an INT. Throwing the INT on that play would have been "choking in crunch time."
The blame game is astounding to me. Astounding.

Every time they lose, it will be attributed to Geno regardless of circumstance. We still apparently fundamentally misunderstand a team sport.

Last edited:

Slick

Reaction score
Been team Geno since beginning of season (see post history non dick jokes) and I think we keep him the whole year.

olyfan63

Reaction score
The blame game is astounding to me. Astounding.

Every time they lose, it will be attributed to Geno regardless of circumstance. We still apparently fundamentally misunderstand a team sport.

An excerpt of my post in this thread... https://www.seahawks.net/threads/pay-geno.182325/

"It might also need to be Waldron (and sports psychologists?) that help Geno past his crunch-time choking problem. He seems to "freeze" in these situations. To me it seems like he's trying to do too much. I don't feel like I (or others who cite this deficiency of his) are moving the goalposts. We're simply waiting and hoping to see him improve. It was a 3rd and 2-ish, IIRC, in the Saints game, where Geno took a big sack that made going for it on 4th down a moot point. Geno held the ball, held the ball, Hero Ball, got sacked. We've seen this movie several times now. Geno does not have Peak-Russell's elusiveness and scramble drill QB superpowers. I don't expect him to. Very few QBs do. Geno's Hero Ball sucks, leads to sacks. Maybe Waldron has to fix this by making things simple and short in these situations, running minimal-risk-of-sack plays that get the ball out of Geno's hands quickly."

I'm talking overall trends, and the breakdown on this specific play is somewhat irrelevant; it's just the latest example. Why does it seem this keeps happening, like a bad script? What is the cause of the trend? Geno trying to do too much and not keeping keeping situational football top of mind? Receivers are blanketed, pass rush is coming... well, there is such a thing as "throwing it away". Being aware that going for it on 4th down is an option and knowing that taking a big sack here essentially ends the game. Maybe this play was a Waldron problem, the play design didn't get receivers open, didn't have a checkdown, etc. So the Saints D got lucky to have just the right D called... Geno needs to recognize, throw it away, and live to fight another down. Can Saints "get lucky" and have exactly the right D called (and successfully executed) on the 4th-and-2 play?

Just like Nathaniel Hackett and the Broncos have a big (insurmountable?) learning curve on what Russell can and can't do (like basic read progressions), and how to mask his deficiencies and incorporate his strengths, I'd expect it's fair to think Waldron is still learning how to help Geno by giving him things he can succeed with.

I'm as thrilled as everyone else at Geno's progress and success this year. I'll be the first to celebrate when Geno shows he can lead a successful passing-driven drive at crunch-time. The crap defense makes his job way harder, agreed.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
No. If we were to decide to trade Geno Smith it would be a franchise tag then trade sort of deal. Offloading him now would be stupid.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Was he outside the pocket? Could he have thrown it away out of bounds? Serious question as I don't really remember and am too lazy to look it up.

Fade

Reaction score
Not going to happen, but…

Creating an unlikely scenario where it could happen.

Tom Brady gets injured before the deadline, and they are willing to give up two 1st rd picks for him as they are in win now mode, while also planning to re-sign him long term, so not just a rental.

TB will be highly interested in him in Free Agency upcoming I'd think.

But, yeah… I don't see Geno being traded. More likely he is re-signed by the Seahawks.

m0ng0

Reaction score
I'd much prefer he just threw it away

scutterhawk

Reaction score

So, hmm, you're saying that Geno needs to atone for one of the worst damned Defenses+shitty Refereeing (per Tyler Lockett)?
I mean, if "Everyone including Geno KNEW the Saints would march our (screwed up) D down the field and either run out the clock or score on the next possession", how is the TOTALLY INEPT PLAY by our 'D' Geno's fault???
Time to be FAIR, Time to get real Oly.

nsport

Reaction score
Seahawks will get more draft capital by managing FAs and receiving a 3rd rd comp pick if he leaves.

This is why he won't be traded. We absolutely would not get better than this, even if a team came calling, which they won't. Geno's not worth a 3rd rounder, let alone anything greater, despite what the stats say after 5 games.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This is why he won't be traded. We absolutely would not get better than this, even if a team came calling, which they won't. Geno's not worth a 3rd rounder, let alone anything greater, despite what the stats say after 5 games.
A third round pick generally doesn't amount to an above-average starter. In a league where Sam Bradford and Nick Foles garner the sort of trade compensation they did, Geno is worth more than a third due to positional value alone.

The only thing holding his value back is the stigma of his name, which is proving to be increasingly misleading.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, though. I agree that he won't be traded. He's valuable to this team moreso than the pick would be.

FPD

Reaction score
Well, we should always listen to offers for anyone. Although I'm fairly certain the Hawks will not trade him during this season no matter what. We definitely should not be actively seeking to trade him, however.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score

A win or loss in game 5 wouldn't do much for Geno's league-wide viability perception. How he does over the course of the season as a whole with greater weight being given to games on the other end of the season is really what will have more relevance in Geno's league-wide perception.

A few games ago the narrative was Geno can't score in the second half. And then he did. Then it was Geno cannot come back in the fourth quarter and then he did. Of course so did Hill which ended with a team loss.

Geno has excelled in all aspects and outplayed, by far, any expectations outside the expectations of the team and Pete Carroll.

Complaining about any one moment in any one game or even in a few games is myopic and not important to the bigger discussion of whether Geno can handle being an effective QB over time.

So far the answer has been resounding yes. Geno is more than capable of leading the team to success as the QB. Not coming back to take the lead a second time in the fourth quarter doesn't change that. The season is still young and another five games will allow Geno to solidify his place or perhaps raise concerns.