Crazy idea, but hear me out. Trade Geno.

OP
OP
S

Spohawks

Reaction score
A third round pick generally doesn't amount to an above-average starter. In a league where Sam Bradford and Nick Foles garner the sort of trade compensation they did, Geno is worth more than a third due to positional value alone.

The only thing holding his value back is the stigma of his name, which is proving to be increasingly misleading.
787 Sometimes drops the most informative and accurate posts on .net (better than anyone else) and sometimes its dog trash...Thats why you have to read everything he writes. This post is a gem.

Polk738

Reaction score
I think I'd rather trade half the defense than Geno

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
...I'm talking overall trends, and the breakdown on this specific play is somewhat irrelevant; it's just the latest example....
The problem with this narrative is the sample size is really small.

Just a few weeks ago he couldn't score in the second half, until he could.

Evaluating a player for what they are doing in any one moment can look really smart and effective and reasonable until it's disproven. Geno has disproven many things in his short time at the helm, and you could be right but you could also be wrong. Because he has countered many criticisms of him in such a short time, Geno is easy to support going forward even in things he has yet to prove.

Geno did take the lead in the fourth quarter on Sunday, which was something he was said to be incapable of. Some of the necessity of end game success will always depend upon effective play calling, other players executing their assignments, avoiding penalties, and opportunity. The defense needs to do their part to protect a lead even if only a lead by a point.

Even the best QBs fail on final drives. To argue that Geno is incapable is funny and closer to using a horoscope to determine his end game success than any basis in fact. I expect he'll take the team on a fourth quarter winning drive at some point this year.

olyfan63

Reaction score
The problem with this narrative is the sample size is really small.

Just a few weeks ago he couldn't score in the second half, until he could.

Evaluating a player for what they are doing in any one moment can look really smart and effective and reasonable until it's disproven. Geno has disproven many things in his short time at the helm, and you could be right but you could also be wrong. Because he has countered many criticisms of him in such a short time, Geno is easy to support going forward even in things he has yet to prove.

Geno did take the lead in the fourth quarter on Sunday, which was something he was said to be incapable of. Some of the necessity of end game success will always depend upon effective play calling, other players executing their assignments, avoiding penalties, and opportunity. The defense needs to do their part to protect a lead even if only a lead by a point.

Even the best QBs fail on final drives. To argue that Geno is incapable is funny and closer to using a horoscope to determine his end game success than any basis in fact. I expect he'll take the team on a fourth quarter winning drive at some point this year.
It's not a "narrative". It's an accurate *description* of Geno's results thus far at "winning time" in close games. See OUTCOMES charts below. I've omitted blowout games that weren't within one score in the 4th quarter, like 2021 Jacksonville and 2022 San Fran.

Simple fact, Geno dropping back to pass in nearly every game-on-the-line situation thus far in his Seahawks career has ended the drive with a negative play, sack, fumble, or pick. Yes, it's a small sample size. Every go-ahead or game-icing drive at "winning time" has been a running back breaking loose for a 40+ yard TD, NOT Geno making plays with his arm. Show me a game Geno has won with his passing in the last 6 minutes. Did I miss one? I'll give Geno credit for the audible to Penny on 3rd and 16 vs the Lions that was the game-winner, IIRC, for winning the game with a timely situational call that caught the Lions in a blitz.

Yes, Geno is doing awesome and making plays. No, the end of the first half doesn't count. Love the ball he threw to Tyler against the Saints with seconds left in the half. Late in the 4th quarter, on 3rd and 2 with the game on the line, Geno drops back to pass, holds the ball, holds the ball, and gets sacked. Irrelevant whether all receivers are covered, etc., Geno must not take a huge sack there.

BAD OUTCOMES
2021 Week 6 vs Steelers - Geno scrambles, gets hit by TJ Watt, fumbles. Pittsburgh kicks game-winning FG. Hawks lose.
2021 Week 7 vs Saints - Geno takes 2 consecutive sacks, on 2nd and 3rd down, then an incompletion on 4th and 28. Hawks lose.
2022 Week 3 vs Falcons - Geno takes a sack on 3rd and 8, then throws a pick on 4th and 18. Hawks lose.
2022 Week 5 vs Saints - Geno hands off to Walker, who goes 69 yards, Seahawks lead. Next series, Geno huge sack on 3rd and 2. Hawks lose.

GOOD OUTCOMES
2022 Week 1 vs Broncos - Geno leads the offense to 0 2nd half points in this one. Not holding against him, Hawks D wins game.
2022 Week 4 vs Lions - Geno hands the ball of to Penny who takes it to the house to put the Hawks up 2 scores. Good call. Hawks win.

As you said, it's a small sample size. I'm optimistic that Geno will start winning some of these games with his arm. In the Falcons game, Geno was leading the Hawks to a game-winning TD with under 2 minutes left, and got screwed by TWO holding penalties that wiped out positive plays.

QB reputations--and salaries are hugely affected by their results at crunch time. Still waiting for Geno's first game-winning drive at crunch time, where it was Geno's passing. To see better results, it's probably a combination of OC and QB adjustments, plus OLine/WR coaching on how to avoid drawing holding flags.

Last edited:

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I'll see your No. I will raise you 1000 Nos.

Nope. Like Lana from Archer Nope. Nooooooppppe. Even if Geno sucks at the end of the year - he completely deserves the chance to finish what he started, and a shot at an extension and the earning of our starter position.

Contrary a little bit to the double-negative backhanded PC stuff I've been hearing lately. "He's doing everything he can. He's doing it well." + more word salad.

I've said it before. Geno for Prez. And, I'll say it again. Geno for Prez. Thx tho. Trade this guy and I'll break your f'ing signing hand. Don't do it.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
It's not a "narrative". It's an accurate *description* of Geno's results thus far at "winning time" in close games. See OUTCOMES charts below. I've omitted blowout games that weren't within one score in the 4th quarter, like 2021 Jacksonville and 2022 San Fran.

Simple fact, Geno dropping back to pass in nearly every game-on-the-line situation thus far in his Seahawks career has ended the drive with a negative play, sack, fumble, or pick. Yes, it's a small sample size. Every go-ahead or game-icing drive at "winning time" has been a running back breaking loose for a 40+ yard TD, NOT Geno making plays with his arm. Show me a game Geno has won with his passing in the last 6 minutes. Did I miss one? I'll give Geno credit for the audible to Penny on 3rd and 16 vs the Lions that was the game-winner, IIRC, for winning the game with a timely situational call that caught the Lions in a blitz.

Yes, Geno is doing awesome and making plays. No, the end of the first half doesn't count. Love the ball he threw to Tyler against the Saints with seconds left in the half. Late in the 4th quarter, on 3rd and 2 with the game on the line, Geno drops back to pass, holds the ball, holds the ball, and gets sacked. Irrelevant whether all receivers are covered, etc., Geno must not take a huge sack there.

BAD OUTCOMES
2021 Week 6 vs Steelers - Geno scrambles, gets hit by TJ Watt, fumbles. Pittsburgh kicks game-winning FG. Hawks lose.
2021 Week 7 vs Saints - Geno takes 2 consecutive sacks, on 2nd and 3rd down, then an incompletion on 4th and 28. Hawks lose.
2022 Week 3 vs Falcons - Geno takes a sack on 3rd and 8, then throws a pick on 4th and 18. Hawks lose.
2022 Week 5 vs Saints - Geno hands off to Walker, who goes 69 yards, Seahawks lead. Next series, Geno huge sack on 3rd and 2. Hawks lose.

GOOD OUTCOMES
2022 Week 1 vs Broncos - Geno leads the offense to 0 2nd half points in this one. Not holding against him, Hawks D wins game.
2022 Week 4 vs Lions - Geno hands the ball of to Penny who takes it to the house to put the Hawks up 2 scores. Good call. Hawks win.

As you said, it's a small sample size. I'm optimistic that Geno will start winning some of these games with his arm. In the Falcons game, Geno was leading the Hawks to a game-winning TD with under 2 minutes left, and got screwed by TWO holding penalties that wiped out positive plays.

QB reputations--and salaries are hugely affected by their results at crunch time. Still waiting for Geno's first game-winning drive at crunch time, where it was Geno's passing. To see better results, it's probably a combination of OC and QB adjustments, plus OLine/WR coaching on how to avoid drawing holding flags.
But what you are stating is a narrative. Just as what I am stating is a narrative. You have a story and you are providing information to argue for your story.

I don't fully agree with your narrative simply because you are choosing to see things as a binary and extrapolating out from that point. Geno failed x times in end of game situations in y # of games therefore he hasn't proved to be capable in an end of game situation.

There is just not nearly enough proof to support the reasoning for me. How you presented good outcome vs. bad outcome doesn't prove anything related to Geno's capability in end of game situations today. We could do this analysis for every QB in the league and everyone would be surprised at how many "great" QBs seemingly fail in these late game moments.

You are weighing all games as having the same relevance and I don't. I consider 2021 games as meaningless in looking at Geno's performance this year. Geno was not prepped as the starter and basically was playing to keep the ship afloat last year. Russell Wilson was still the starting QB and Geno was only a backup filling in. Not considering all of the factors beyond what Geno did is simple but not particularly astute.

This year I don't consider the early games very relevant either, as Pete Carroll (who I do believe) stated after the 49er loss that the offense was being opened up for Geno as he has shown to be very capable of making all of the throws, making the right decisions, and overall playing in a way that we had limited experience with over the past ten years.

When listening to an argument I consider a bigger picture than simple stat lines or rankings or individual performances. Could your narrative prove to be true? Certainly, but nothing that you've stated is proof from my perspective.

I don't even think our perspectives are that far off except for taking each game from last year and this year with equal weight as proof of Geno's inability to win late.

After more games, where Geno is put into the pressure cooker your supposition might be right, but at this point I suspect Geno will continue to disprove these false narratives. Certainly not every game - even Russell didn't do that - he lost many games over his career late with interceptions, sacks, and poor decisions.

Don't get me wrong in assuming that I think Geno is a hall of famer or whatever hyperbolic extreme take that some users here might try to claim. I don't even know at this point whether Geno is the answer beyond this season or even 5 games from now, but I am more than open to the possibility of Geno leading the team as the season progresses and we see how he does going forward. Not that what any of us think or believe has any effect on what actually does happen.

I have yet to see the failures that many have placed at Geno's feet, and I tend to have a stronger belief in the continuing improvement and success rather than waiting for a crash and burn that some may be longing for.

We can agree that optimism is a pleasant way to think going forward considering Geno has to this point far outplayed all expectations.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score

BAD OUTCOMES

GOOD OUTCOMES

This is a narrative. Not sure why you think otherwise. You are telling story from your vantage point, with points emphasized in the manner you have decided.

Here is an example of me doing the same thing:

BAD OUTCOMES
2021 Week 6 vs Steelers - O-Line is garbage, allows TJ to beat them and make a great play to get a TO. Steelers win on game winning FG.
2021 Week 7 vs Saints - O-Line continues to be dog water bad. Seattle loses.
2022 Week 3 vs Falcons - Blythe gets completely destroyed leading to what is effectively a free runner at the QB. Huge sack, putting Sea in 4th and 4 Counties away. Seattle loses.
2022 Week 5 vs Saints - Geno tosses dimes all game long, and audibles at the line and hands off to Walker, who goes 69 yards, beating the Saints cover 0 blitz like a drum. Seahawks lead. Defense is so terrible they allow NO to walk right past them to undo the great audible for a TD, Seattle loses.

GOOD OUTCOMES
2022 Week 1 vs Broncos - Geno gets Seattle out to an early lead and the defense gets key turnovers on the goal line to help secure the W. Seattle wins.
2022 Week 4 vs Lions - Geno throws dimes all over Ford Field like he owns the place. Seattle wins.

Regardless if you agree with me or not, that is a narrative.

olyfan63

Reaction score
But what you are stating is a narrative. Just as what I am stating is a narrative. You have a story and you are providing information to argue for your story.

I don't fully agree with your narrative simply because you are choosing to see things as a binary and extrapolating out from that point. Geno failed x times in end of game situations in y # of games therefore he hasn't proved to be capable in an end of game situation.

There is just not nearly enough proof to support the reasoning for me. How you presented good outcome vs. bad outcome doesn't prove anything related to Geno's capability in end of game situations today. We could do this analysis for every QB in the league and everyone would be surprised at how many "great" QBs seemingly fail in these late game moments.

You are weighing all games as having the same relevance and I don't. I consider 2021 games as meaningless in looking at Geno's performance this year. Geno was not prepped as the starter and basically was playing to keep the ship afloat last year. Russell Wilson was still the starting QB and Geno was only a backup filling in. Not considering all of the factors beyond what Geno did is simple but not particularly astute.

This year I don't consider the early games very relevant either, as Pete Carroll (who I do believe) stated after the 49er loss that the offense was being opened up for Geno as he has shown to be very capable of making all of the throws, making the right decisions, and overall playing in a way that we had limited experience with over the past ten years.

When listening to an argument I consider a bigger picture than simple stat lines or rankings or individual performances. Could your narrative prove to be true? Certainly, but nothing that you've stated is proof from my perspective.

I don't even think our perspectives are that far off except for taking each game from last year and this year with equal weight as proof of Geno's inability to win late.

After more games, where Geno is put into the pressure cooker your supposition might be right, but at this point I suspect Geno will continue to disprove these false narratives. Certainly not every game - even Russell didn't do that - he lost many games over his career late with interceptions, sacks, and poor decisions.

Don't get me wrong in assuming that I think Geno is a hall of famer or whatever hyperbolic extreme take that some users here might try to claim. I don't even know at this point whether Geno is the answer beyond this season or even 5 games from now, but I am more than open to the possibility of Geno leading the team as the season progresses and we see how he does going forward. Not that what any of us think or believe has any effect on what actually does happen.

I have yet to see the failures that many have placed at Geno's feet, and I tend to have a stronger belief in the continuing improvement and success rather than waiting for a crash and burn that some may be longing for.

We can agree that optimism is a pleasant way to think going forward considering Geno has to this point far outplayed all expectations.
I'm still waiting and hoping for Geno's FIRST game-winning 4th quarter drive that's about his passing, and doesn't involve a RB breaking a long TD run. It would be somewhat fair to give Geno crunch-time credit for the Lions win, given that Geno's passing success prompted the Lions send the house on a blitz, and Penny took it to the house on a running play; Geno's passing set up the run.

Pretty much all your points are fair, it's just that at some point Geno needs to break through the reasons and excuses and make the plays at crunch time. I'm hoping to see it. And no, it's not all on Geno. Geno got screwed a couple games by holding calls that wiped out big plays at crunch time.

This discussion probably belongs more in the "Pay Geno" thread, because it would seem ludicrous to trade him, and IMO what he needs to do to show he's worthy of a bag (of cash) is to establish a track record of crunch-time 4th quarter game-winning drives.

The changes and adjustments to get Geno over the hump on this IMO involve adjustments by Waldron perhaps more than Geno. Now Waldron has a clearer picture of what he has in Geno, he can scheme better and coach up Geno better to set him up for success in crunch-time situations. One big problem? I think Geno is trying too hard to make a big play, to come through, on crunch-time dropbacks, and it impairs his judgment on when to bail on a play and throw it away to avoid the sack and live to fight another down.

Call it a narrative, call it a trend, whatever, pretty sure we both want to see Geno break out and destroy the narrative/trend. I *hope and believe* he can, and that once he has that first breakthrough, the results will improve from there.

olyfan63

Reaction score
This is a narrative. Not sure why you think otherwise. You are telling story from your vantage point, with points emphasized in the manner you have decided.

Here is an example of me doing the same thing:

BAD OUTCOMES
2021 Week 6 vs Steelers - O-Line is garbage, allows TJ to beat them and make a great play to get a TO. Steelers win on game winning FG.
2021 Week 7 vs Saints - O-Line continues to be dog water bad. Seattle loses.
2022 Week 3 vs Falcons - Blythe gets completely destroyed leading to what is effectively a free runner at the QB. Huge sack, putting Sea in 4th and 4 Counties away. Seattle loses.
2022 Week 5 vs Saints - Geno tosses dimes all game long, and audibles at the line and hands off to Walker, who goes 69 yards, beating the Saints cover 0 blitz like a drum. Seahawks lead. Defense is so terrible they allow NO to walk right past them to undo the great audible for a TD, Seattle loses.

GOOD OUTCOMES
2022 Week 1 vs Broncos - Geno gets Seattle out to an early lead and the defense gets key turnovers on the goal line to help secure the W. Seattle wins.
2022 Week 4 vs Lions - Geno throws dimes all over Ford Field like he owns the place. Seattle wins.

Regardless if you agree with me or not, that is a narrative.
OK, so people want to use the term, "narrative" for what I'm talking about. Fine, not a hill worth defending for me. Your adaptation is a bit of a parody, throwing out multiple narratives, several of which pass the eye test. (I enjoyed your takes, as valid as any other) Multiple narratives can be accurate at the same time. The Hawks D has been suckitude this season. Last year's O-Line sucked. Geno did throw dimes all over Ford Field, and the Superdome, and Lumen field vs the Falcons. What's to argue about any of that?

To me "narrative" has an element of projecting out past results to the future. My "narrative", if people insist on calling it that, could be characterized as "Past results show Geno hasn't yet shown he can lead game-winning drives with his passing at crunch time". Note that it is NOT, "Geno is a bum, he ALWAYS chokes the game away at crunch time with a sack, pick, or fumble, and always will, cuz he's a bum."

It's like say, wrestling or tennis, where your kid has one nemesis opponent he's 0-for-5 against, but the last couple matches have been very, very close. What little extra step will it take to finally get over the hump and defeat that opponent? To me, that's where Geno is with his crunch time (passing) failures.

Geno has already blown to bits the preseason narrative that he's the "33rd best QB in the NFL". He's made us stop thinking Drew Lock will supplant him. It's just that we don't yet have any precedent showing Geno can win games at crunch time with his passing. Would love to see it soon, as a barometer of his, and the team's growth. It's not all on Geno, but it's on Geno (and Waldron, and the O-Line) to find a way to overcome the reasons and excuses and just make it happen.

Last edited:

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
A narrative is a story about connected events. In this case a written one. That's all. These are written from the perspective of the author which of course introduces bias.

Objectively speaking, Geno has performed exceptionally. All the metrics and analytics prove that. He's had some chances to overcome defensive adversity to pull out a clutch win, and that takes the other 10 guys on the field to do as well, however the blame gets placed (unfairly) on Geno when the results don't meet their expectations.

If the other 10 guys all do their part and Geno doesn't do his, then I'd agree that he deserves the blame. This season, I haven't really seen that. From my view, he's doing a great job and just needs some more help from those around him.

If DK catches that dime of a TD pass and we don't settle for a FG, that game changes. If we don't get penalties calling back awesome plays that would result in TD's, that game changes. Football is a team sport. Guys need to step up and help. Especially on defense, but that's a whole other ball of wax.

I can say, I do enjoy watching this version of Geno play. He's a gifted athlete.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
Hypothetical question for the room:

If the Seahawks defense was even moderately competent, like middle of the roadish, let' say like 18 in yardage allowed and 16 in points allowed, where do you guys think this team would be right now record wise? Given how the offence is scoring and moving the ball and all.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score

If the Seahawks defense was even moderately competent, like middle of the roadish, let' say like 18 in yardage allowed and 16 in points allowed, where do you guys think this team would be right now record wise? Given how the offence is scoring and moving the ball and all.
They'd be easily 4-1. Playoffs would be on everybody's mind. We'd have seen Drew Lock play already against the Lions because we'd have benched Geno midway through the fourth.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score

They would be 4-1 with a loss to the 9ers.

olyfan63

Reaction score
A narrative is a story about connected events. In this case a written one. That's all. These are written from the perspective of the author which of course introduces bias.

Objectively speaking, Geno has performed exceptionally. All the metrics and analytics prove that. He's had some chances to overcome defensive adversity to pull out a clutch win, and that takes the other 10 guys on the field to do as well, however the blame gets placed (unfairly) on Geno when the results don't meet their expectations.

If the other 10 guys all do their part and Geno doesn't do his, then I'd agree that he deserves the blame. This season, I haven't really seen that. From my view, he's doing a great job and just needs some more help from those around him.

If DK catches that dime of a TD pass and we don't settle for a FG, that game changes. If we don't get penalties calling back awesome plays that would result in TD's, that game changes. Football is a team sport. Guys need to step up and help. Especially on defense, but that's a whole other ball of wax.

I can say, I do enjoy watching this version of Geno play. He's a gifted athlete.
Objectively speaking, Geno has yet to lead a 4th quarter game-winning drive with his passing. He's had multiple opportunities, but *something* has always gone wrong. Sack, fumble, interception, penalty. (Though the only interception(s) I recall were desperation heaves that shouldn't count against him).

I'm absolutely not saying the failed crunch time drives are all Geno's fault. He does seem to tighten up in those situations, though lately it's been untimely drops and phantom penalties that have stalled potential GW drives.

The next 4th quarter game-winning drive he leads that ends with something other than a long Penny or Walker TD run will be Geno's first. Hope to see it soon.

Last edited:

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Objectively speaking, Geno has yet to lead a 4th quarter game-winning drive with his passing. He's had multiple opportunities, but *something* has always gone wrong. Sack, fumble, interception, penalty. (Though the only interception(s) I recall were desperation heaves that shouldn't count against him).

I'm absolutely not saying the failed crunch time drives are all Geno's fault. He does seem to tighten up in those situations, though lately it's been untimely drops and phantom penalties that have stalled potential GW drives.

The next 4th quarter game-winning drive he leads that ends with something other than a long Penny or Walker TD run will be Geno's first. Hope to see it soon.

samwize77

Reaction score
As far as I am concerned, every player should be open for trade. Its a matter of compensation. So yes, in the abstract, trade him. In reality, no, unless..............??????????????

djb28

Reaction score
We almost or at least we thought we screwed ourselves in the off season. So now we are good, you want to be sure we screw ourselves? Sounds like a plan. Denver will suck, We are good.