Curious what others expectations are for DK.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
My expectations are twofold. First I hope that DK doesn’t let the high expectations go to his head and prevent him from becoming what we all hope he can be. I think we all hope that he can become that coveted big WR that Pete has been looking for since he got here. I’m not going to put a series of numbers out there as a measuring stick for his success. Rather, I hope to see continued growth in the passing game and maturity as a potential threat. I’m not even sure what that looks like but I think we will know it when we see it. I think it might be a quantifiable arc in his trust with Russ and his impact throughout the year.
The second expectation I have is for that of the fan base. With the amount of adoration he is seeming to get, I hope that we can all temper our expectations a bit and remember that he is just a rookie and the Seahawks are a run first offense. Let’s not turn on him if he only has a handful of catches and no TDS in the first few games. Let’s give him time to acclimate to the league, learn the NFL game, earn the trust of#3,and become the best version of himself. Considering the history of rookie WRs in the league, it could take a year or two. Be patient grasshoppers. (Older fans will get that!)

Fade

Reaction score
DK is going to be absolutely lethal when the Seahawks get to the opponents 40 yd line.

Playaction shots will be took from that area of the field and DK is going to be the recipient on a lot of these strikes.

He will score at least 8 TDs this year.

The other numbers are not really relevent for his rookie campaign. Pete likes to specialize guys during their first season on the field and then looks to expand from there.

I am curious to see if teams roll coverage towards Lockett to start the year, and leave DK 1-on-1. If this happens I think DK will have a lot of big splash plays early in the season and teams will be forced to adjust how they are playing him, that is when it will get interesting.

If DK is the truth, it will be very hard for teams to have to account for the Seahawks high volume running game (load the box), while still trying to takeaway Lockett, DK, and RW's legs. That is a lot to deal with and gameplan for, and opponents will just have to guess.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
DK didn't get the long completions, but he showed that he can beat a CB giving him a 10-yard buffer. I'm not sure how you can cover that without safety help.

Lockett is not coverable by a single player, IMHO. His reads during his route are pure pro.

The run game is going to tempt teams to bring up the safety, but if they do one of our deep threats is going to be open big time.

knownone

Reaction score
40 rec / 600 yds / 5 tds seems like a realistic expectation.

His athletic ability makes him much harder to predict. 3 or 4 blown coverages could easily make up a large share of his yards.

Tical21

Reaction score
Later quickness, route running and refinement aren't going to matter much for him, at least this year. It's all going to come down to whether or not he can track the deep ball. If he is even above average at this skill, I don't think 1000 yards and 10 TD is out of the question. If he can't, I think he busts hard. The first game wasn't the most promising.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":3c87ip0k said:
DK didn't get the long completions, but he showed that he can beat a CB giving him a 10-yard buffer. I'm not sure how you can cover that without safety help..

True. But he also showed that he's running sloppy routes and not quite there yet with finishing routes........which is why he didn't catch either of the two long passes.

Now that's Geno and not Russ, so we'll see if Russell and DK are on the same page a little more. But the fact is DK is a rookie, and will look a LOT like a rookie this year.

Which is fine. Year one I wanna see;

- effort
-humility
- growth
- health

The production we're all talking about here is predicated on these things.........and I think we will see it from DK, nothing we've seen so far has shown anything else.

BamKam

Reaction score
There is a reason why he is a monster physically but put up less than pedestrian numbers in college. He is Raw and will take awhile. The hype is absurd. Long term he could be great but it’s going to take awhile for him to develop. I expect some big plays combined with some serious head scratchers. I don’t see him catching 6-8 balls a game more like 2-4 with the occasional explosive play.

Own The West

Reaction score
First off, he's not a Doug Baldwin replacement. Totally different kind of player. Ursa or one of the little guys are more ADB.

DK's not like anyone we've had on this team, so it will be interesting if we use him like anyone we've had on this team before.

I think the Calvin Johnson comparisons apply, so if we use him like that he may have big numbers. I haven't seen him box out or use his size to shield defenders -- he's always looking to outrun or outleap people, so he may disappear when we get in the red zone. Very excited to see him on the field, but right now DK stands for "Don't Know".

chris98251

Reaction score
Own The West":33yhm5wu said:
First off, he's not a Doug Baldwin replacement. Totally different kind of player. Ursa or one of the little guys are more ADB.

DK's not like anyone we've had on this team, so it will be interesting if we use him like anyone we've had on this team before.

I think the Calvin Johnson comparisons apply, so if we use him like that he may have big numbers. I haven't seen him box out or use his size to shield defenders -- he's always looking to outrun or outleap people, so he may disappear when we get in the red zone. Very excited to see him on the field, but right now DK stands for "Don't Know".

To me he is more like Moss, Johnson had great tools coming to Detroit, Moss had the same holes in his game that he had when he started, coaches just used him at what he did well and didn't try to square peg in round hole or because he was so good at deep routes never really asked him to go across the middle or be a sideline route runner.

I am hoping DK develops to where no part of the field can be left open knowing he won't go there because of contact.

Jville

Reaction score
During the early no contact days, the advantage was with the offense. Now that defenders can mix it up, dbs like Flowers and Griffen are having success competing against DK.

Spot, match up and situation snaps are what I expect. Once the regular season begins, inconsistency generated by an occasional dropped pass, tipped pass, wrong route, or missed assignment will likely limit 1st year snaps for a raw inexperienced 21 year old rookie.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
TreeRon":29dgfs0v said:
Jazz will be a bigger star for the Seahawks.
I wouldn't be surprised. Draft status and small school be damned. Talent is talent, and he was one of the most talented WRs of this class.

chris98251

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":26tt1zwk said:
TreeRon":26tt1zwk said:
I wouldn't be surprised. Draft status and small school be damned. Talent is talent, and he was one of the most talented WRs of this class.

Everyone says small school he was a high recruit and went to LSU before his problems there.

This isn't a guy that popped up on the radar, he is a known commodity that had red flags in a era after all the recent issues with arrests etc people went south on in the draft.

He had to have a job and pay for his schooling and learned a hard lesson getting a chance again at that smaller school, which he was rewarded with a chance here by Pete.

It has never been about his talent.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Suspect he's been overhyped. That said he's a big WR with awesome speed and a seeming good pair of hands. i'm happy the team drafted him.

Time will allow him to develop but he will be a good fit for some routes right from the outset.

I'm not expect Pro Bowl results from him and believe he will experience growing pains as he learns to play with Wilson.

If he's a star to begin with that's awesome but I expect his better play to begin next season.

It'd certainly be nice if DK could see the field in the redzone with Alexander and then opposing DBs would need to pick which big guy to double if they dared to do so with Lockett on the field.

D

DomeHawk

I wouldn't have too high of expectations for any of the rookies this year in terms of completions. Schotty has said that they want CC to get up to 50 targets this year (he had less than half as many last year). This is a growing trend in the NFL. That, in addition to getting the ball to TE's is probably, at least partially, their answer to filling the void left by ADB.

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/sea ... rgets-2019

McGruff

Reaction score
David Moore had 53 targets last year.

If DK can just get that, and catch 60%, then my expectations are satisfied.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
chris98251":1rfwkakc said:
Thepeelsessions":1rfwkakc said:
TreeRon":1rfwkakc said:

Everyone says small school he was a high recruit and went to LSU before his problems there.

This isn't a guy that popped up on the radar, he is a known commodity that had red flags in a era after all the recent issues with arrests etc people went south on in the draft.

He had to have a job and pay for his schooling and learned a hard lesson getting a chance again at that smaller school, which he was rewarded with a chance here by Pete.

Not sure you picked up what I laid down. What I was getting at was I think the talent, tools, and ability Jazz has as a WR will be the reason he outperforms DK. In the end, I don't think his background will matter.

toffee

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":2zmdv61e said:
chris98251":2zmdv61e said:
Thepeelsessions":2zmdv61e said:
TreeRon":2zmdv61e said:

Not sure you picked up what I laid down. What I was getting at was I think the talent, tools, and ability Jazz has as a WR will be the reason he outperforms DK. In the end, I don't think his background will matter.
so far jazz seems to be a bit more intuitive and track the ball better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beaumaris

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2cl4c11u said:
"I personally would consider a very good rookie season if he ends up with 40 rec. 600 yards and 4-5 TD's. I am curious what others think?"

DK is considered by many to fit perfectly into Baldwin's shoes. Personally, I think that he will take a couple of seasons for him to fit into his shoes. As it has been noted, the Hawks run more than most NFL teams. I'd be "tickled pink" if he got 600 yards.
Why pink ?