Darnell Dockett

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1aiqxzbw said:
Marvin49":1aiqxzbw said:
Sgt. Largent":1aiqxzbw said:
peachesenregalia":1aiqxzbw said:
Newsflash for both of you dicks - Every team does that.

Someone needs a hug.

Not true, usually it's the bad teams that do this............because they're desperate. When's the last old stiff the Hawks, Packers or Patriots signed and kept? If we do sign an aging vet that can't hack it in camp, we cut him before the season starts, i.e. Winfield, Winston.

Well that's some BS right there. LOL.

If a team gives a big contract to an aging vet, that's what bad teams do. If they are giving small prove it contracts to aging players, that's pretty standard.

Kevin Williams anyone?

Kevin Williams was arguably the most consistent lineman on the Hawks last year. Bad example.

My point is if a team is deep and loaded with talent, they don't have to hang on to guys like Dockett for 3.25M hoping he recaptures some of his glory days.

Kinda missed the point there homey.

Signing Williams IN THE FIRST PLACE was my point. I'm not making any point about how the signing turned out because we don't even know how the Dockett signing will play out yet. I seem to remember Seattle taking a stab at Antoine Winfield as well. He didn't make the roster, but signing him wasn't a sign they were desperate. It was a chance to sign a player on the cheap who could provide depth.

Yer just clutching at straws now.

If Dockett came in and was going to be a starter then you MIGHT have a point, but he's not. He was always envisioned as a 3rd down pass rusher.

The funniest part of your comment though is that the twitter post we are currently responding to is that the 49ers might be so deep at the position that Dockett may not make the team.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Just posting to say that as a fellow 9ers fan, I think Marvin's breakdown of all the players on the d-line is EXCELLENT.

He nails it with everyone, and that the lack of pass rush is likely going to be the thing that breaks the defense (if it breaks).

As for how "deep" the group is, I think the way I'd put it is that they're very deep with promise and upside, but being stuck behind Justin and McDonald (very underrated player and previously an overrated person), the'yre not deep on output or expereince.

Basically there's guys who might get cut (TJE, Purcell) who could easily be in rotations for other teams (or starters on bad teams), but there's no real standouts on the line at this point, or players who are going to draw double teams, at least early in the season.

As a group there's a ton to be excited about, but not that much that's actually known. Cornerback and dime safety for the 9ers is the same way right now.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1zh7kf8w said:
Just posting to say that as a fellow 9ers fan, I think Marvin's breakdown of all the players on the d-line is EXCELLENT.

He nails it with everyone, and that the lack of pass rush is likely going to be the thing that breaks the defense (if it breaks).

As for how "deep" the group is, I think the way I'd put it is that they're very deep with promise and upside, but being stuck behind Justin and McDonald (very underrated player and previously an overrated person), the'yre not deep on output or expereince.

Basically there's guys who might get cut (TJE, Purcell) who could easily be in rotations for other teams (or starters on bad teams), but there's no real standouts on the line at this point, or players who are going to draw double teams, at least early in the season.

As a group there's a ton to be excited about, but not that much that's actually known. Cornerback and dime safety for the 9ers is the same way right now.

Couldn't agree more on the DBs.

Johnson, Acker, Reaser....all unknowns but I've liked what I see (first two in particular). I also REALLY like Tartt...but none of those guys are really known quantities. Of the rookies, I think Tarrt has a chance to come in and make the biggest splash this season essentially playing a 3rd safety who hits like a LB in nickel and dime.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
Its amazing how the Cardinals/49ers can bring in someone who is older and it means they are desperate. But the Seahawks can bring in a 34 year old Fred Jackson with a possible signing and all of a sudden thats a great thing with some excitement built around it. Oh geeze come on now. There are a lot of reasons teams can bring in an older player outside of desperation, or are you now admitting the Seahawks are desperate as well?

Laloosh

Reaction score
ringless":2cioabrv said:
Its amazing how the Cardinals/49ers can bring in someone who is older and it means they are desperate. But the Seahawks can bring in a 34 year old Fred Jackson with a possible signing and all of a sudden thats a great thing with some excitement built around it. Oh geeze come on now. There are a lot of reasons teams can bring in an older player outside of desperation, or are you now admitting the Seahawks are desperate as well?

Was the first guy that I thought of when this topic came up. Let it go dude, this thread is way more interesting if people aren't fighting over piddly stuff.

Marvin49

Reaction score
ringless":24wxh4tg said:

LOL...completely forgot about Fred Jackson. :)

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I ultimately think there is a difference albiet not not a big one when a team signs an older vet and the money that team is giving them.

For instance, last season, when the Seahawks signed Kevin Williams, it was June, for $2.1m, he still had to compete, wasnt coming off a serious injury, and he was one of the last remaining options at DT for the team to shore up its depth.

Seahawks didnt actively seek out Williams when he became a free agent nor did they overpay him and in restrospect he became a bargain.

Same thing with Fred Jackson, his availability plus skillset and Turbin's injury made him a person of interest. The Seahawks havent just been out there turning over RBs under rocks and they certainly are not going to overpay Jackson.

Since the team has been established in 2012, Seahawks have mostly refrained from seeking players over 32 and once there own players start hitting that age they've smartly turnedover.

There has been exceptions to the rule but not many but most of them have been great players that had to or would have to compete and survive, on reasonable contracts: Winfield, Allen, Williams*, Winston, Mathis amongst a few others and now Jackson

*Kevin Williams has been the only signed and the only one to survive cutdowns onto a 53-man roster.

Fred Jackson probably doesnt have to compete but it seems the Seahawks are going to wait until after the first game to sign him, so they dont have to guarantee his contract in case he's injured or flat out sucks once they evaluate and put him in the system.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
Whoever up at the top said we signed an old Braylon Edwars? When we signed him he was just 28! Jeez he's just 32 right now. Balkee always likes to mix some Vets in with young guys. Trent is a scout by trade & one of the best. If he thinks Dockett has something to give , I tend to trust him. There is nothing wrong with having old players.

The Seahawks youth movement is great, but it wasn't always so. Your just in a time of that "open window" period. The NFL has a way of highlighting the law of avgs. It's already happening , the legion of Boom looks completely different. You signed Carry Williams who will be 31 in Dec. We have some Vets but we have drafted the most players of anyone in the NFL over the past few seasons. We have just started our youth movement an will quickly be on of the youngest team in the league by next years draft. Which we hold 10 more picks.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Bob loblaw":1pyep23d said:
the legion of Boom looks completely different.

Might be a little premature on this one... CB #2 has been a turnstile and we're waiting to see what happens w/ Kam but to make that statement is presumptuous.