Darrell Bevell To Falcons?

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
MontanaHawk05":2ekvk3f5 said:
Sports Hernia":2ekvk3f5 said:
There is a reason why he hasn’t found a gig yet. It’s because his potential employers in college and the NFL have come to the same conclusion I have.

He hasn't found a gig because of Cris Collinsworth, who set the narrative for Bevell on "The Play" and ensured that stigma would follow him around wherever he went.

It's much more defensible to say that Bevell was a bog-average OC with a deficiency at keeping Wilson disciplined. Not Satan, not McDaniels, not Schotty. Otherwise, you're having to argue that the guy who got us to two Super Bowl appearances and won one of them is somehow a horrible OC.

Of course, you'd get a lot of guys 'round here arguing that instead of getting us to back to back Super Bowls, he's the reason why we didn't win four of them over the same time span.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":28b66tnw said:
MontanaHawk05":28b66tnw said:
Sports Hernia":28b66tnw said:
There is a reason why he hasn’t found a gig yet. It’s because his potential employers in college and the NFL have come to the same conclusion I have.

He hasn't found a gig because of Cris Collinsworth, who set the narrative for Bevell on "The Play" and ensured that stigma would follow him around wherever he went.

It's much more defensible to say that Bevell was a bog-average OC with a deficiency at keeping Wilson disciplined. Not Satan, not McDaniels, not Schotty. Otherwise, you're having to argue that the guy who got us to two Super Bowl appearances and won one of them is somehow a horrible OC.

Of course, you'd get a lot of guys 'round here arguing that instead of getting us to back to back Super Bowls, he's the reason why we didn't win four of them over the same time span.

I don't think there's an OC in history that could win 4 Super Bowls in two years.

chris98251

Reaction score
The whole league and every analyst and announcer called it the worst play call in Super Bowl history. There is a reason he was unemployed last season and the only sniff so far has been with Quinn in Atlanta as a OC not a HC anywhere else.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Seanhawk":3eyy93oi said:
Seahawk Sailor":3eyy93oi said:
MontanaHawk05":3eyy93oi said:
Sports Hernia":3eyy93oi said:

I don't think there's an OC in history that could win 4 Super Bowls in two years.

That's the joke. 8)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3jhlsgna said:
Sports Hernia":3jhlsgna said:

So the potential employers go to CC for hiring advice???? That’s an excuse Sioux Hawk would have come up with.

We went to back to back Super Bowls DESPITE having Bevell as an OC, not becuase he was the OC.

He had an Uber talented RB, and a young dynamic QB that covered up for his incompetence. Plus a defense that gave him short fields to work.

Like I said, if he was remotely competent as an OC he wouldn’t be unemployed currently.

knownone

Reaction score
I think you guys are being awfully harsh on Bevell. He's not an inventive offensive mind but he's a better coordinator than Sark and that's kind of all the Falcons really need.

chris98251

Reaction score
knownone":ps1yjf92 said:
I think you guys are being awfully harsh on Bevell. He's not an inventive offensive mind but he's a better coordinator than Sark and that's kind of all the Falcons really need.

He earned it, took no responsibility for anything and through his players under the bus. Deserves everything he gets and glad he is gone and unemployed.

knownone

Reaction score
chris98251":3vvgluan said:
knownone":3vvgluan said:

He earned it, took no responsibility for anything and through his players under the bus. Deserves everything he gets and glad he is gone and unemployed.
Haha... This is exactly what I mean.

chris98251

Reaction score
knownone":3abri0ka said:
chris98251":3abri0ka said:
knownone":3abri0ka said:

Pretty sure that if we had like buttons there would be a line of people doing it also. Given this is the most enjoyable season we have witnessed in two years since THE PLAY.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
chris98251":343xarxe said:
knownone":343xarxe said:
knownone":343xarxe said:

Pretty sure that if we had like buttons there would be a line of people doing it also. Given this is the most enjoyable season we have witnessed in two years since THE PLAY.

That says more about you than about him. We went back to the playoffs twice after the play and could have done so a third time with a competent kicker. I personally enjoy such things.

He earned it, took no responsibility for anything and through his players under the bus.

I assume you're referring to Ricardo Lockette? In that case, I'd say one comment being inflated into a perennial, outstanding habit isn't an honest depiction. Bevell didn't make a tradition of throwing players under the bus that I'm aware of. If he did, then so does Pete for occasionally saying Wilson has to play better.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":18qflhw8 said:
We went to back to back Super Bowls DESPITE having Bevell as an OC, not becuase he was the OC.

I'm aware of this classic line, and it is as patently out of touch now as it was when it was conceived. Consider how difficult it is to reach the Super Bowl. The Super Bowl. Think about the razor-thin margin for error when going on the road to beat good teams during the regular season, outlast your conference's best contenders, and win multiple playoff games, especially when Jermaine Kearse is sabotaging every reception you get.

No, you don't win the conference championship without a complete team. That includes enough offensive plays are succeeding as called. Sure, Wilson salvaged some broken plays. But that's true of every contender. No team goes anywhere without a QB who can improvise and close on third down. That doesn't reflect poorly on the OC.

Bevell was average at worst, or we don't make it. I'm not all that worshipful of him and I'm not exactly heartbroken he's gone. But I do think he deserves some recognition for making back-to-back Super Bowls. That accomplishment is rarefied air in the NFL. And I think he can still function in the NFL, especially with the right QB and philosophy.

Of course, I know who I'm talking to, so why do I bother...;)

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3hja8zdc said:
Sports Hernia":3hja8zdc said:

I'm aware of this classic line, and it is as patently out of touch now as it was when it was conceived. Consider how difficult it is to reach the Super Bowl. The Super Bowl. Think about the razor-thin margin for error when going on the road to beat good teams during the regular season, outlast your conference's best contenders, and win multiple playoff games, especially when Jermaine Kearse is sabotaging every reception you get.

No, you don't win the conference championship without a complete team. That includes enough offensive plays are succeeding as called. Sure, Wilson salvaged some broken plays. But that's true of every contender. No team goes anywhere without a QB who can improvise and close on third down. That doesn't reflect poorly on the OC.

Bevell was average at worst, or we don't make it. I'm not all that worshipful of him and I'm not exactly heartbroken he's gone. But I do think he deserves some recognition for making back-to-back Super Bowls. That accomplishment is rarefied air in the NFL. And I think he can still function in the NFL, especially with the right QB and philosophy.

Screw Bevell

chris98251

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2a78fn28 said:
chris98251":2a78fn28 said:
knownone":2a78fn28 said:

That says more about you than about him. We went back to the playoffs twice after the play and could have done so a third time with a competent kicker. I personally enjoy such things.

He earned it, took no responsibility for anything and through his players under the bus.

I assume you're referring to Ricardo Lockette? In that case, I'd say one comment being inflated into a perennial, outstanding habit isn't an honest depiction. Bevell didn't make a tradition of throwing players under the bus that I'm aware of. If he did, then so does Pete for occasionally saying Wilson has to play better.

In 7 years he never took any accountability for his ineptitude here.

Not so different then some posters never admitting they are wrong..........

knownone

Reaction score
chris98251":3isx42l8 said:

It took me less than 30 seconds to find quotes of him taking accountability.

"I can do a better job; I can get us into some better situations—we can run the ball ..."

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... -bevell-3/

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":k6i739tl said:
Bruh. No rationalizations you can give can refute the fact that rookie DBs knew what we were doing with great regularity, which is my single biggest problem with Bevell and always was: telegraphing our plays on offense more than probably any other team in the league on a regular basis. Opposing defenses being able to read our plays before the snap under him with such consistent ease is inexcusable.

You.
Can't.
Defend.
That.

Scoring points is hard enough in this league without telling the enemy what you're doing ahead of time on 50% of your damn snaps.

knownone

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3kplshyk said:
MontanaHawk05":3kplshyk said:
Bruh. No rationalizations you can give can refute the fact that rookie DBs knew what we were doing with great regularity, which is my single biggest problem with Bevell and always was: telegraphing our plays on offense more than probably any other team in the league on a regular basis. Opposing defenses being able to read our plays before the snap under him with such consistent ease is inexcusable.

You.
Can't.
Defend.
That.

Scoring points is hard enough in this league without telling the enemy what you're doing ahead of time on 50% of your damn snaps.
Most defenses know what the offense is going to run before the snap. One of the reasons Sean McVay is being lauded as an offensive genius is because of his ability to disguise his tendencies before the snap. However, as we've seen recently once teams found the Rams tendencies his offense was significantly easier to stop.

Bevell's issue was his inability to adapt to what the defense was giving him early in games. He was great when he had time to make adjustments but often times it was too late. The idea that his offense is predictable is slightly misleading. The Seahawks have never had the talent on the offensive line to be a consistently great team spreading the defense out. So the system relies heavily on the running game to create space in the passing game. Stop the run and the passing game becomes much more predictable because there is only so much the offense can disguise when the defense knows you are passing.

A perfect example of this was on display when Alabama played Oklahoma this weekend. Bama stopped the run with 5 guys and dropped 6 into coverage, suddenly Oklahoma's unstoppable system became predictable and a QB who averaged over 70% completions on the season completed 50% of his passes.

Interestingly, we've seen a similar trend with Schotty that we saw with Bevell. The only difference being Schotty has had a more productive rushing attacking over this season than Bevell had over the last two season.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
There's no defending the many plays he designed that had two receivers converging in the same place on the field for the same pass, inevitably resulting in a 2 WR / 3 DB cluster(you know the word that goes here) and either an interception or at least an incomplete pass. Generally on 3rd down, and 30 yards downfield. Genius! :roll: :roll: :roll: Plus, as previously pointed out, my wife (who knows little about the Xs and Os) could and often did call the play before the snap. :34853_doh:

chris98251

Reaction score
knownone":1ur0khos said:
chris98251":1ur0khos said:

It took me less than 30 seconds to find quotes of him taking accountability.

"I can do a better job; I can get us into some better situations—we can run the ball ..."

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... -bevell-3/

Cliche's and pacification, no ownership.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":2rettr8y said:
knownone":2rettr8y said:

So much this! DB EARNED every critical word said about him.

Latest posts