Dave Grosby of 710 says he'd rather have Unger than Graham .

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Tical,

What blocking TEs did we have last year, that we dont have this year, that played a significant amount of snaps enroute to a Superbowl?

Same with the O-Line.

2014 Starters:

Okung: according to inside knowledge played through a torn labrum and missed a game.

Carpenter: Unremarkable Pass Pro. Dominant but inconsistent run blocker. Missed 3 games.

Unger: Smart, experienced, and most savvy vet. But his physical ability was overrated. Not close to being the elite OC he was back in 2nd Half of '11 and most of '12. Missed 10 games 2014.

Sweezy: Inconsistent pass-pro. Dominant run-blocker. Entering his 2nd year as a starter, year 3 of his development.

Britt: Rookie. Horrendous in pass-pro against speed rushers. Average at best against other tpes of DEs. Solid to dominant run-blocker if not a tad inconsistent.

Notable Bench players:

Bailey- 30 pounds over his collegiate weight. 2nd year with team.

Gilliam- Undersized Rookie.

Jeanpierre- missed first two months of the season to neck issues.

Current Projection for 2015 starters.

LT Okung: Contract season. Looks to be in the best shape athletically that ive seen from him for quite awhile.

LG Britt: 2nd Year. He's going to be a much better fit inside than on the edge. Already think he can be better than anything we had at LG since Hutch.

OC: Kind of toss-up between LJP's experience and mental ability and Nowak's physical ability. But while none are as good as Unger. You get a guy who can consistently be the line-up every game it will already be an advantage over 2014 who had 4 players make starts at OC.

OG Sweezy: This year is essentially Sweezy's senior year in college as an OL man. Entering his 4th year and contract season this could be the year where he consistently puts it all together. Optimistically, if Sweezy was drafted this year as an underclassmen, to lets say replace Moffitt if he had stuck around, we'd all be pretty stoked about Sweezy's ability and potential.

RT Gilliam: Seahawks perhaps lose a little (optimistically), maybe a lot in the run game. But what they lose, they potentially gain in a player that has the athleticism and work ethic to mirror speed rushers than any of the players at this position in the last 5 years. And Gilliam possesses the raw ability to be a great 2nd level Run Blocker with his athleticism and TE background. So while he might not be blowing defenders off the block for big holes, Lynch and Wilson both have the ability to navigate through the scrum and get to the 2nd level for splash running play. But what mattets most right now is a player that can compete enough has a pass blocker to allow Wilson to be much more comfortable and allow WRs to actually finish routes.

If you read the fieldgulls comments in thier Gilliam article there are insights linked by posters that the Seahawks thought about moving Britt to LG had they got the guy they wanted to draft.

Hopefully, Gilliam makes the most of this opportunity because his raw ability and strengths looks like it could really improve the pass protection on the right side if he gets it togrther. And on the brightside, while Gilliam is raw, he is also not bright eyed rookie that needs to learn the playbook. So, reps and experience are going to add up much faster in the long run.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":12p2kxll said:
If you read the fieldgulls comments in thier Gilliam article there are insights linked by posters that the Seahawks thought about moving Britt to LG had they got the guy they wanted to draft.
I believe that Cable is the one being cited for making the comment that they discussed moving Britt to LG on draft day.

Makes sense if they got the RT that they targeted.

My best guess is Sambrailo, who went to Denver at pick #59.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus great overview. Britt was just terrible at RT in PP. It's not like with sweezy Britt is an OL guy already. Gilliam we will see but the fact that some of the beat writers are saying he can hold off Avril is promising

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":19zni3u1 said:
[

Now if they just put him at TE to block most of the time then they're idiots but does anyone really believe that's how there going to use him on Offense C'mon man.

What? Are you calling Bevel an "idiot"? The audacity! :roll:

hawknation2015

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":xryd7zog said:
Pandion Haliaetus":xryd7zog said:
I believe that Cable is the one being cited for making the comment that they discussed moving Britt to LG on draft day.

Makes sense if they got the RT that they targeted.

My best guess is Sambrailo, who went to Denver at pick #59.

If that was the case, I'm really glad it didn't happen. Sambrailo looked awful. He will probably be one of the worst LTs in the league this year, sending Manning into belated retirement.

Remember the play where Frank Clark easily shoved him out of the way to cause a fumble? Yeah, that's going to happen to them a lot this year.

HawkerD

Reaction score
The Groz is a whore. Or in other words a savvy media personality. He has gotten more play out of this than if he said it was a great trade. Maybe he feels that way and maybe he doesn't but he got a lot of reaction which is what he is all about.

El Caliente

Reaction score
As a Saints fan I think claiming that one side won or lost this trade (this early) is fool hardy at best. Unger has to prove he can stay healthy, Graham has to show he wont just down if a cb/s get physical with him. Throw in the fact that both teams netted rookies in the trade, there are too many moving parts to proclaim one team got the better end of the deal.

beasthawk

Reaction score
A one time pro bowl Center or best TE in the NFL? Hmm what would I rather have?? Oh wait I don't bleach my hair and am intelligent Graham any day, sorry Max.

beasthawk

Reaction score
El Caliente":3nsinvx0 said:
As a Saints fan I think claiming that one side won or lost this trade (this early) is fool hardy at best. Unger has to prove he can stay healthy, Graham has to show he wont just down if a cb/s get physical with him. Throw in the fact that both teams netted rookies in the trade, there are too many moving parts to proclaim one team got the better end of the deal.

I think as it is we got a much better deal, unless of course a TE can affect a game less than a center. Which they don't bum deal for NO but we get the better part of this at this point there is no debate IMO

RussB

Reaction score
Lol i dont think he realizes that Jimmy Graham is a top 3 tight end in the league. DUDE IS A PLAYMAKER. The o line should do fine and they might even get mathis.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":5pvjls5o said:
What a BS statement first of all they haven't played a single regular season game. Second in the first quarter last Friday when the starters were in it was RG and RT that were getting beat, center was ok not great but ok. Just had to post this because it was such an absurd position to take after one preseason game. He even went as far as to say it was a bad trade.
Groz knows football about as much as I know cricket. At least Mitch does good interviews when he gets his mind off boobs. Groz can't even claim that.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
2Cool4School":2lsxpl7r said:
Lol i dont think he realizes that Jimmy Graham is a top 3 tight end in the league. DUDE IS A PLAYMAKER. The o line should do fine and they might even get mathis.

"They might Evan get Mathis."

FIFY.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I don't think Wilson could get the ball to Graham even with Unger in the lineup.

None of you have been happy with the offensive line at ANY point since 2005, including when Unger was out. You don't get to suddenly pretend that it was just fine in order to justify the Graham trade. I get offloading an injury case, but Seattle has yet to demonstrate the existence of a good replacement plan.

The trade will be validated by one of two things: a) either Nowak or Jeanpierre proving they can play or b) Graham proving the first line of this post wrong and demonstrating that the real problem all along has been Russell Wilson holding the ball too long because his receivers can't get open. Since I suspect that's the case, I have a cautious optimism towards things being fine.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3h0c7tst said:
I don't think Wilson could get the ball to Graham even with Unger in the lineup.

None of you have been happy with the offensive line at ANY point since 2005, including when Unger was out. You don't get to suddenly pretend that it was just fine in order to justify the Graham trade. I get offloading an injury case, but Seattle has yet to demonstrate the existence of a good replacement plan.

The trade will be validated by one of two things: a) either Nowak or Jeanpierre proving they can play or b) Graham proving the first line of this post wrong and demonstrating that the real problem all along has been Russell Wilson holding the ball too long because his receivers can't get open. Since I suspect that's the case, I have a cautious optimism towards things being fine.

Meh when there is a will, there is a way.

I could go through and list of every single injury the last 2 years that has disabilitated the blocking scheme. But I know that list is long and ive been posting too much already in this past week.

Facts are through all of Seahawks still managed to go to back to back Superbowls. And it wasnt just through a myriad of O-Line/TE/FB injuries either or injuries in general as thier has been plenty of drama and distraction.

People can say what they want, you can believe what you will but this team is so resilient, so hard-headed about winning even thier biggest weaknesses on thier darkest days cant drag them down without them giving a good fight. And 75% of the time, Im picking the Seahawks to win those battles.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":3brm0pxo said:
What a BS statement first of all they haven't played a single regular season game. Second in the first quarter last Friday when the starters were in it was RG and RT that were getting beat, center was ok not great but ok. Just had to post this because it was such an absurd position to take after one preseason game. He even went as far as to say it was a bad trade.

To be fair, the Center plays a big part in getting both Guards lined up and targeting properly. That said Graham represents an upgrade for the Hawks from a health standpoint alone. We couldn't benefit from Unger's smarts and savvy with him sidelined all the time. Worst case is we end up using LJP or Lewis, so we'll be no worse at C than last season. Would really like to see the LG spot solidify, and I don't quite understand why it's such an issue. How could we be having a serious drop off from losing Carp, of all people?

El Caliente

Reaction score
beasthawk":9olevnzz said:
El Caliente":9olevnzz said:

I think as it is we got a much better deal, unless of course a TE can affect a game less than a center. Which they don't bum deal for NO but we get the better part of this at this point there is no debate IMO

I can understand your excitement, and if I am a Seahawks fan I would be excited to finally give Wilson a top tier receiving option (because outside of Sea. I don't think anyone would call what Wilson has had, top tier). So With Graham and Lockett, I can certainly understand why you feel that gaining a tight end/ receiver is more important than losing a center.

As a Saints fan however, I would rather the center over the all world TE. The center and guard positions for us are very important as Brees loves climbing the pocket. When we won the Super Bowl the interior of our o-line was amazing. Since then it has been hit or miss, and now with Evans in decline its more miss than hit. In that time with a shaky o-line, Graham has had some exceptional games, but he has also disappeared in plenty as well (see any time he has had db rough him up, which happens alot). Jimmy is good for disapearing (as a receiver) in about 4-5 games a season. And if he isn't receiving he is no good for you because you certainly know, he isn't going to block. Going back to when the Saints were more than they are now, we didn't have Graham, we have Jeremy Shockey (who wasn't close to where Graham is), and lessor te's.

So while it will hurt not having a top 5 receiver, we were better with a solid interior line, than with an all world receiver.

But it will be fun to see how everything balances out. Unlock most football fans, I like watching the Seahawks. I like that they don't mind wearing the dark hat.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":115mgc07 said:
Northwest Seahawk":115mgc07 said:
Groz knows football about as much as I know cricket. At least Mitch does good interviews when he gets his mind off boobs. Groz can't even claim that.
Good points! :th2thumbs:
Groz reminds me of the regular at the end of a bowling alley bar that attempts to talk sports when he knows very little about said subject.

harryjohnson

Reaction score
The next time Groz does any research before he spews his opinion will be the first. He's about as informed as Jim Moore.

Two completely worthless time eaters.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
harryjohnson":g8sfslos said:
The next time Groz does any research before he spews his opinion will be the first. He's about as informed as Jim Moore.

I don't get the hate for Jim Moore. One of the best on the station IMO.

harryjohnson

Reaction score
Hawkspur":2u1onlpr said:
harryjohnson":2u1onlpr said:

I don't get the hate for Jim Moore. One of the best on the station IMO.

What exactly is he good at? The man never does his homework. He's an imbecile with a mic.

Latest posts