Davis over Boykin

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I don't know who they kept but i'd go with Davis, Boykin just doesn't have the accuracy. Seattle needs to take a serious look at drafting a QB next year for the overall stability of the franchise. Maybe take a look in the third round at what's there .

UGotHawked

Reaction score
Atradees":1y0s39fs said:
Good points all....I'm still surprised about the choice. Boykins expression at the end of the last game was worth a thousand words. He knew he had been beaten. Boykin should get a job. He is a beast.

Man if Boykin is a "beast," then the word "beast has officially lost its meaning.

sutz

Reaction score
Going into pre-season, I figured Boykin had the edge due to familiarity etc. After game 4, I have to admit, Davis outplayed him.

:2thumbs:

chris98251

Reaction score
Boykin has physical tools tries to force things and does not make smart decisions.

Kaepernick has physical tools tries to force things and does not make smart decisions.

Austin Davis does not have all the physical tools the other two have, but has one thing they don't, a smarter decision making process, doesn't force situations, is accurate, and sneaky better athletically they people think.

I'll take Davis, he can win games for a stretch of the season, you don't have a awe struck person with him on the field, and he adjusts well.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Biggest reason we don't have Kap is $alary.

Wish we could afford to lock him up before somebody else does - which will be very soon considering starting QB attrition rates.

Hyak

Reaction score
Davis is the perfect backup to me. Boykin is way too impulsive and reckless to be trusted in a game and his accuracy is shaky.

olyfan63

Reaction score
So glad they kept Davis. He clearly won the backup job. Smart, veteran QB.
He can make sense of the looks defenses throw at him and know where to go with the ball and when to audible out.
Boykin needs more seasoning to get this stuff. Maybe by his year 6 in the league?
I'd like to see Hawks keep Boykin on PS if nobody claims him.

chris98251

Reaction score
Kind of telling he has not been signed to the PS as of yet, either he is fielding other offers or the Seahawks don't feel there is a threat of him signing somewhere else and are waiting for dust to settle. They were quick to sign B.J. Daniels every year when he was looked at as a potential guy.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Yeah it was a no-brainer. I'm happy to have him aboard. He strikes me as an Alex Smith type, efficient and conservative. If Wilson goes down, we don't need a superstar, just someone to stanch the bleeding.

That said, if Wilson goes down, I also think we should bring Keap in for another workout. :snack:

G-Ache

Reaction score
I for one am happy with the decision to have Davis come in if called upon over Boykin. Davis may not be the greatest backup QB, but I would rather have someone who will try to stay in the pocket and find a receiver before scrambling away.

Boykin is undoubtedly a major threat with his feet, but at times he seems just as likely to chuck one up for grabs (too often off target or underthrown) as he is to break a run for a first down.

That said, pour one for Jobu and hope it never comes to the point of needing our #2.

svenge

Reaction score
Seahawks made the right call on this decision. Davis completes his passes to teammates, while Boykin tends to complete his to the opposition...

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RockinHawks":26zwbi8x said:
randomation":26zwbi8x said:
I don't want Kaep because I don't want the idiots crying about him not having a job crying about him not starting here. I also don't really think he is that good I would rather have someone who is safe with the football if Russ is sidelined for a few games. If Russ isn't good to go for the playoffs we are done no matter what. Davis is cheaper and safe with the football.
Kaepernick has never thrown more than 10 int's in a season...last year he had 19 TD's and 4 INT's.

Why would he be turnover prone? He seems to me to be a really good game manager with SB and playoff experience, who can use his legs well.

Yep.

And on that claim, he has a much lower career interception rate than Davis.

Heck, he has a lower career interception rate than Russell Wilson. :lol:

I know this ain't a thread about him, but if people insist on bringing him up they at least should rely on easily falsifiable reasons for not wanting him.

Jville

Reaction score
I think "two dog" has the right idea. I'd like to see Trevone Boykin grow as a QB in the CFL. His style would be a natural fit. It would provide a needed time to mature and grow in a community well removed from his college glory days.

I wish the young man success in turning his fortunes around.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":1fguxoud said:
Neither one of them inspire much confidence. Wouldn't be surprised if they bring in a vet.

Which teams backup QBs are going to win games for them? Jimmy g, and who else. This team is like almost all teams, if the backup starts games for you, you are in trouble. Hell, half the starting QBs or more leave their team in serious trouble, let alone backups.

Josea16

Reaction score
Check the links underneath the post he's a Rams fan. Also I'm fine with Davis. I think we could sign Keapernick right now but we won't unless Wilson is injured long term.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":13ohkmr1 said:
Boykin has physical tools tries to force things and does not make smart decisions.

Kaepernick has physical tools tries to force things and does not make smart decisions.

Austin Davis does not have all the physical tools the other two have, but has one thing they don't, a smarter decision making process, doesn't force situations, is accurate, and sneaky better athletically they people think.

I'll take Davis, he can win games for a stretch of the season, you don't have a awe struck person with him on the field, and he adjusts well.
This..
Davis if you look at his stats from Southern Miss he can run.I suspect some was in the RZ but I like that and the game I saw him @ KC he stayed in the pocket and threw quick passes to keep the blitz in check.
I know he's not flashy but the man can win games with the Defense we have for sure.
Boykin?I just couldn't see that and you would figure he is better after 2 TC's.
He was not any better and looked worse..Bye Bye!

OP
OP
C

Cc5674

Reaction score
I understand the money thing and cap space considerations but I would be so much more confident if somehow Kapernick would have been signed from the start and got some reps in preseason. Its part political and a whole lot $$$ but Boykin or Davis will never be winning QB's in the NFL. Russell needs to stay healthy and avoid any serious inuries ( a challenge considering the lack of depth and experience in the Offensive Line) or all the moves like the Richardson trade will be for naught. This team is primed and on the cusp of greatness but you will have to literally hold your breath everytime #3 take a hit. Austin Davis may be able to come in and either mop up or spell Wilson for a series or so but if NFL defensive coordinators have a week to face an Austin Davis lead Seahawks team they will literally consume him. His game is very limited and while he may look decent against the roster cuts in preseason or in Garbage time for bad teams in the past in the regular season he is not an NFL caliber QB. Once again Pete and John have done great things to improve an already great defense and upgrade the running back depth but have done so by gambling big time on two of the most glaring team weaknesses Offensive Line and back up QB. Those are the two positions you will NEVER find help out there once the season begins. Its officially Super Bowl or BUST. Hate to be a Pollyanna but those two areas will keep me awake at night as a Seahawks fan all season. Hoping RW3's workout plan made him the man of steel. :irishdrinkers:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It was an easy choice. Boykin was just horrible. His field vision is hard to watch. Let alone forcing stuff in there like he's Brett Favre.