Day Five of Training Camp Impressions

burgers_59

Reaction score
QB's:
Russell had another solid day. Ran around a little too much in seven on seven drills, but looked good in the scrimmage. He had one pick by Byron Maxwell but other than that he looked pretty solid.

Quinn definitely outshined T Jack today. Taking most of the second team reps, i've heard that over the last three days of camp that Quinn has been better. He had a laser touchdown pass in the scrimmage, which definitely made me pay more attention to him throughout the rest of practice. But him and T Jack are too close to pick one right now, they both can struggle and they both can do well.

RB's:
Lynch was used lightly today as usual, showed nice speed and power. They're doing a good job in keeping his legs and back fresh.

Michael had another really nice day. I like to refer to him as Chrstine "The Future" Michael. You can tell this guy is going to be special, has the power of Lynch and the speed of a guy like Leon. Caught the ball well and ran with authority, very exciting guy.

Ware took primarily running back snaps, and is a thumper when he runs. He displays solid hands and vision as well. Definitely see him more as a running back than a fullback.

Robinson and Coleman played fullback today. Mike Rob was solid in the scrimmage, getting blown up only once, and that was to KJ Wright. Coleman is definitely an all effort guy, he engages blockers well and shows good burst and hands.

TE's:
McGrath didn't have the best start today to start, but he improved a lot throughout. He had a lot of drops in one on one drills. But in scrimmage he looked really good, getting open and looking in the ball. This guy is a legitimate blocker as well.

Willson is definitely the pass catcher. He had some really nice catches in seven on seven as well as scrimmage. He's still got some work to do on blocking, they brught in Michael Person as an extra blocker to help him out on his side when they were running power plays. Still it's hard to see this team without Willson, he stands out in any drill. EVen special teams drills, i'm excited to see this guy in game action.

Fells, Helfeit and Palmer all had laid back days. Fells didn't look too bad today, he had some drops in seven on seven with one or two catches in the scrimmage. Helfeit had some nice grabs in seven on seven but it didn't translate too much in the scrimmage. Palmer had some quality one on one catches but again didn't do too much in the scrimmage.

WR's:
Not a lot of scrimmage time with the ones, Tate and Baldwin still looked good in their limited time. Meanwhile Sidney and Percy are getting medical stuff done.

Stephen Williams didn't have the big catches today, but he's getting better at getting separation.

Chop Chop had a really nice day, with some nice grabs throughout the practice (He made Browner look like a fool in one on one drills). He also got a reverse play and a slot run play from the shotgun.

Bates didn't get a whole lot of time to show his stuff, Chop Chop and Williams saw more time with the ones than he did. Harper had a really nice play in scrimmage where he caught s slant and made a real nice move in the open field, then put on the jets to the endzone. Clark had a nice little TD. Walters, Swain and Herd had pretty quiet days.

Oline:

Starting line today was; Okung, McQuistan, Unger, Sweezy/Moffitt, and Breno. The group looked solid, Moffitt and Sweezy definitely had their struggles. Both getting beat on pass protection, but other than that the starting group looked very good.

Second Group; Bailey/Person, Carp, Jean-Pierre/Smith, Sweezy/Seymour, Bailey/Person.
Bailey and Person swapped sides a bit and both looked very solid. Bailey can play ball, he can pass block and run block. I didn't see him get beat once, he's the guy out of the two group that I see starting soonest. Person looks very good as well, the guy is solid in both blocking types as well. We have bookend back ups at the tackle spots, I wouldn't be too worried if one of the starters got hurt and one of these guys filled in Sweezy got blown up by Jesse Williams, as did Seymour. Sweezy still needs work on hand placement and hip fluidity, but I see more upside in him than I do in Moffitt. Smith had a bad snap to TJack from the I formation, but other than that he looked like a real center out there. Nice day from him. Carp did better today than i've seen all camp. He still is a little out of shape, getting winded easier than the others, which forces him to stand up as time goes by. But when he isn't worn out he looks very powerful and nimble for a guy his size.

Dline:

The starting group was hard to evaluate considering two of their guys were out today. Being Bennett and Avril. But when Hill bot his snaps over McDaniel, he shined. He is a very disruptive player, he uses his hands and leverage well to penetrate into the backfield. Howard saw some snaps with the ones at Defensive End, he's a lot quicker than I thought him to be and almost looks more comfortable in that edge spot. He sets the edge well.

Second Group; Mayowa/Boatright, Brooks, McDonald/Williams, Powell. The stand out guy here, again, was Jesse Williams. He tweaked his knee early in practice which forced him to go to the locker room and get a brace on it. But even after that he was really disruptive, he chose grace over power for the most part today. With a lot of swim moves and arm chops, his blockers always anticipate a bullrush so he uses their momentum to get past easily with a quick swim move. Love the upside with this guy, I see him and Hill spending more time with the ones as camp progresses. Mayowa and Boatright really depend on their speed to win, which doesn't always work. Brooks had good peneration on some plays, and Powell has a better understanding of using strength and speed together than the other 2nd unit Ends.

LB's:

Starting Unit; KJ, Bobby, Smith/Bruce. This unit was very solid today, with the MVP of hte gourp definitely being KJ. The guy is all over the field, he layed the lumber on Mike Rob today, he pops guys when he hits them. Bobby was solid as always, making good reads on runs and passes and getting where he needs to be. Smith did a better job playing up in the box today, and he did well in coverage. Not a whole lot from Bruce with the ones today, he's still relying on is speed to win his one on one battles. Which doesn't always work, he still is very raw and needs work on his moves and block shedding abilities. But the guy has a very high ceiling.

2nd unit; Morgan/Lotuleilei/Knox, Bradford/Farwell, Schofield/Wilkins. This group is hard to observe simplay because they have such a big rotation. Lotuleilei is definitely the speediest and hardest hitting of the group. Whereas Morgan and Knox took steps back today, which affected their playing time. Bradford outplayed Farwell in the middle, thumping into the box and laying hits. Schofield looked good when he was playing, he's a speed to power guy and could provide a nice pass rushing option. Wilkins looked good in coverage and had some nice hits today.

Secondary:

The LOB looked as good as they always do. Winfield looks really good in the nickel and had a nice day out there today. Earl Thomas is definitely the speediest one out there, he seemed to be either making or being close to making every tackle today. Kam pressed on some tight ends today, giving them a nice pop. Browner struggled a bit in one on one drills but looked just fine in the scrimmage. Sherm didn't give up one catch, at least I don't think he did.

Second Group; Thurmond/Shead, Guy/Maragos, Johnson, Maxwell, with Lane in the slot. Shead was getting coached up on tackling early in practice, he raises his head a little too high. But in the scrimmage he looked very nice, he's a physical guy. Thurmond was lockdown and saw a little time with ones in the nickel spot, once he's totally healthy he'll give Winfield a run for his money. Winston Guy outshined Maragos(who had a pretty rough day), Guy had some nice plays in run support as well as prividing tight coverage on the tight ends. Johnson excels in zone coverage, in man he is a little more beatable but still very solid. Maxwell had a really nice day, grabbing a pick and playing nice man coverage. Lane just was unlucky today, and has been over the past few days from what i've heard. He got beat cleanly in the slot a few times, and even when his coverage was spot on, the receiver managed to make the catch over him. I still think Lane makes the 53, he's got so much upside.

Special Teams:

The kicking battle continued today. It seemed that everything Hauschka missed, Wiggs made. Wiggs definitely looked better accuracy wise today, sure him and Hausch missed some kicks. But I like Wiggs' leg better than Hauschka's and his accuracy is improving with each day.

Ryan had some solid punts today and didn't fumble any holds for the kickers.

Nelson got some quality snaps in, as did Gresh. Later in practice; Nelson, Ryan, and Wiggs were all standing together chatting. I could really see those three being the guys. Nelson is a cheaper and harder snapper than Gresh. Wiggs is cheaper and has a stronger leg than Hauschka (and is arguably less douchey), and Jon Ryan is well... Jon Ryan, that boy ain't going nowhere.

Tate and Blackmon were the two main returners, I don't see that changing.

Oh and quick camp story. Two Niner fans came to practice today, and Blitz saw them. He hopped the fence and pointed for them to leave, he also Kaepernicked with a follow up throat cut gesture. He tried to get the cops to come and heckle them, but ended up getting a big group of Army reserve guys to do it instead. Blitz definitely got some good laughs from the crowd. MASCOT OF THE YEAR!

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
burgers_59":1i3lztef said:
Michael had another really nice day. I like to refer to him as Chrstine "The Future" Michael. You can tell this guy is going to be special, has the power of Lynch and the speed of a guy like Leon. Caught the ball well and ran with authority, very exciting guy.

I get the feeling Robert Turbin had better get used to spending a lot of time standing around watching his teammates play. From everything I'm hearing, Michael is going to be a force this year. ("Beast Mode, Jr.?")

Thanks much for the write-up!

Cartire

Reaction score
Good write up. Good to see KJ had a good day.

OP
OP
burgers_59

burgers_59

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":u9id40d1 said:
burgers_59":u9id40d1 said:

I get the feeling Robert Turbin had better get used to spending a lot of time standing around watching his teammates play. From everything I'm hearing, Michael is going to be a force this year. ("Beast Mode, Jr.?")

I get the same feeling. Michael is special, not saying Turbin can't be. But in the time i've seen Michael play he has left a big impression on me. I'm really looking forward to seeing him in game action.

And no problem!

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Great stuff, thanks as always!

The continuing struggles of Sweezy and Moffitt is really concerning. I was hoping (and still am) for big improvement from them this season, as we had serious issues at times pass blocking last season.

As far as Turbin/Michael goes, I still believe Turbin is destined to be the "3rd down" kind of back and Michael will ultimately be Beast Mode's back-up.

Hawksfanatik

Reaction score
Erebus":2vp43oxk said:
Who is Chop Chop? By process of elimination I'm assuming its Kearse. Is that correct?

Correct. He could be good, but he needs to spend all practice, all day, all offseason on the Jugs machine.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Carroll had some nice things to say about Sweezy today in the press conference, so here's hoping that it's not just lip service and Sweezy had a learning day. Thanks for the report!!

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Geez Burger you are better than 99% of the beat writers. Good job!

nsport

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":1tjn8tm5 said:
burgers_59":1tjn8tm5 said:

If you guys recall when Alexander was on the bench, we always knew he was "The Future" then as well (spelling Ricky Watters if I recall). I hope he can capture the same lightning in a bottle when it's his turn!

drdiags

Reaction score
Erebus":3vwiwxty said:
Who is Chop Chop? By process of elimination I'm assuming its Kearse. Is that correct?

The players call him that because of his light complexion (as noted in a Real Rob Report). They call him white meat or pork chop (aka Chop Chop). Players can be idiots.

BTW. Good job Burger. Appreciate the efforts.

legend38

Reaction score
Really frustrating that of the three "big" free agent signings,not one of them is contributing. :34853_doh:

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
burgers_59":6ian9m46 said:
QB's:
Russell had another solid day. Ran around a little too much in seven on seven drills, but looked good in the scrimmage. He had one pick by Byron Maxwell but other than that he looked pretty solid.

Quinn definitely outshined T Jack today. Taking most of the second team reps, i've heard that over the last three days of camp that Quinn has been better. He had a laser touchdown pass in the scrimmage, which definitely made me pay more attention to him throughout the rest of practice. But him and T Jack are too close to pick one right now, they both can struggle and they both can do well.

RB's:
Lynch was used lightly today as usual, showed nice speed and power. They're doing a good job in keeping his legs and back fresh.

Ware took primarily running back snaps, and is a thumper when he runs. He displays solid hands and vision as well. Definitely see him more as a running back than a fullback.

Robinson and Coleman played fullback today. Mike Rob was solid in the scrimmage, getting blown up only once, and that was to KJ Wright. Coleman is definitely an all effort guy, he engages blockers well and shows good burst and hands.

TE's:
McGrath didn't have the best start today to start, but he improved a lot throughout. He had a lot of drops in one on one drills. But in scrimmage he looked really good, getting open and looking in the ball. This guy is a legitimate blocker as well.

Willson is definitely the pass catcher. He had some really nice catches in seven on seven as well as scrimmage. He's still got some work to do on blocking, they brught in Michael Person as an extra blocker to help him out on his side when they were running power plays. Still it's hard to see this team without Willson, he stands out in any drill. EVen special teams drills, i'm excited to see this guy in game action.

Fells, Helfeit and Palmer all had laid back days. Fells didn't look too bad today, he had some drops in seven on seven with one or two catches in the scrimmage. Helfeit had some nice grabs in seven on seven but it didn't translate too much in the scrimmage. Palmer had some quality one on one catches but again didn't do too much in the scrimmage.

WR's:
Not a lot of scrimmage time with the ones, Tate and Baldwin still looked good in their limited time. Meanwhile Sidney and Percy are getting medical stuff done.

Stephen Williams didn't have the big catches today, but he's getting better at getting separation.

Chop Chop had a really nice day, with some nice grabs throughout the practice (He made Browner look like a fool in one on one drills). He also got a reverse play and a slot run play from the shotgun.

Bates didn't get a whole lot of time to show his stuff, Chop Chop and Williams saw more time with the ones than he did. Harper had a really nice play in scrimmage where he caught s slant and made a real nice move in the open field, then put on the jets to the endzone. Clark had a nice little TD. Walters, Swain and Herd had pretty quiet days.

Oline:

Starting line today was; Okung, McQuistan, Unger, Sweezy/Moffitt, and Breno. The group looked solid, Moffitt and Sweezy definitely had their struggles. Both getting beat on pass protection, but other than that the starting group looked very good.

Second Group; Bailey/Person, Carp, Jean-Pierre/Smith, Sweezy/Seymour, Bailey/Person.
Bailey and Person swapped sides a bit and both looked very solid. Bailey can play ball, he can pass block and run block. I didn't see him get beat once, he's the guy out of the two group that I see starting soonest. Person looks very good as well, the guy is solid in both blocking types as well. We have bookend back ups at the tackle spots, I wouldn't be too worried if one of the starters got hurt and one of these guys filled in Sweezy got blown up by Jesse Williams, as did Seymour. Sweezy still needs work on hand placement and hip fluidity, but I see more upside in him than I do in Moffitt. Smith had a bad snap to TJack from the I formation, but other than that he looked like a real center out there. Nice day from him. Carp did better today than i've seen all camp. He still is a little out of shape, getting winded easier than the others, which forces him to stand up as time goes by. But when he isn't worn out he looks very powerful and nimble for a guy his size.

Dline:

The starting group was hard to evaluate considering two of their guys were out today. Being Bennett and Avril. But when Hill bot his snaps over McDaniel, he shined. He is a very disruptive player, he uses his hands and leverage well to penetrate into the backfield. Howard saw some snaps with the ones at Defensive End, he's a lot quicker than I thought him to be and almost looks more comfortable in that edge spot. He sets the edge well.

Second Group; Mayowa/Boatright, Brooks, McDonald/Williams, Powell. The stand out guy here, again, was Jesse Williams. He tweaked his knee early in practice which forced him to go to the locker room and get a brace on it. But even after that he was really disruptive, he chose grace over power for the most part today. With a lot of swim moves and arm chops, his blockers always anticipate a bullrush so he uses their momentum to get past easily with a quick swim move. Love the upside with this guy, I see him and Hill spending more time with the ones as camp progresses. Mayowa and Boatright really depend on their speed to win, which doesn't always work. Brooks had good peneration on some plays, and Powell has a better understanding of using strength and speed together than the other 2nd unit Ends.

LB's:

Starting Unit; KJ, Bobby, Smith/Bruce. This unit was very solid today, with the MVP of hte gourp definitely being KJ. The guy is all over the field, he layed the lumber on Mike Rob today, he pops guys when he hits them. Bobby was solid as always, making good reads on runs and passes and getting where he needs to be. Smith did a better job playing up in the box today, and he did well in coverage. Not a whole lot from Bruce with the ones today, he's still relying on is speed to win his one on one battles. Which doesn't always work, he still is very raw and needs work on his moves and block shedding abilities. But the guy has a very high ceiling.

2nd unit; Morgan/Lotuleilei/Knox, Bradford/Farwell, Schofield/Wilkins. This group is hard to observe simplay because they have such a big rotation. Lotuleilei is definitely the speediest and hardest hitting of the group. Whereas Morgan and Knox took steps back today, which affected their playing time. Bradford outplayed Farwell in the middle, thumping into the box and laying hits. Schofield looked good when he was playing, he's a speed to power guy and could provide a nice pass rushing option. Wilkins looked good in coverage and had some nice hits today.

Secondary:

The LOB looked as good as they always do. Winfield looks really good in the nickel and had a nice day out there today. Earl Thomas is definitely the speediest one out there, he seemed to be either making or being close to making every tackle today. Kam pressed on some tight ends today, giving them a nice pop. Browner struggled a bit in one on one drills but looked just fine in the scrimmage. Sherm didn't give up one catch, at least I don't think he did.

Second Group; Thurmond/Shead, Guy/Maragos, Johnson, Maxwell, with Lane in the slot. Shead was getting coached up on tackling early in practice, he raises his head a little too high. But in the scrimmage he looked very nice, he's a physical guy. Thurmond was lockdown and saw a little time with ones in the nickel spot, once he's totally healthy he'll give Winfield a run for his money. Winston Guy outshined Maragos(who had a pretty rough day), Guy had some nice plays in run support as well as prividing tight coverage on the tight ends. Johnson excels in zone coverage, in man he is a little more beatable but still very solid. Maxwell had a really nice day, grabbing a pick and playing nice man coverage. Lane just was unlucky today, and has been over the past few days from what i've heard. He got beat cleanly in the slot a few times, and even when his coverage was spot on, the receiver managed to make the catch over him. I still think Lane makes the 53, he's got so much upside.

Special Teams:

The kicking battle continued today. It seemed that everything Hauschka missed, Wiggs made. Wiggs definitely looked better accuracy wise today, sure him and Hausch missed some kicks. But I like Wiggs' leg better than Hauschka's and his accuracy is improving with each day.

Ryan had some solid punts today and didn't fumble any holds for the kickers.

Nelson got some quality snaps in, as did Gresh. Later in practice; Nelson, Ryan, and Wiggs were all standing together chatting. I could really see those three being the guys. Nelson is a cheaper and harder snapper than Gresh. Wiggs is cheaper and has a stronger leg than Hauschka (and is arguably less douchey), and Jon Ryan is well... Jon Ryan, that boy ain't going nowhere.

Tate and Blackmon were the two main returners, I don't see that changing.

Oh and quick camp story. Two Niner fans came to practice today, and Blitz saw them. He hopped the fence and pointed for them to leave, he also Kaepernicked with a follow up throat cut gesture. He tried to get the cops to come and heckle them, but ended up getting a big group of Army reserve guys to do it instead. Blitz definitely got some good laughs from the crowd. MASCOT OF THE YEAR!

So, I got a problem.....I was at practice today, and sitting on the hill, at times 50-100 yards away from many of these players, there is just no freaking way you can possible see ALL of this, especially when it is happen at the same time on many different parts of the field. Unless, of course, you are getting notes from someone in camp and/or reviewing the tapes they are making somehow.

Anyway, where I see things.... Quinn vs TJack... Who the hell can tell. Quinn worked with the 2's TJ the 3's.... other than Quinn's one good TD pass you mentioned, I saw nothing of note. Jackson was Meh, but that could be the players he was playing with as much as anything else.

Completely disagree on McGrath. He was used often and caught what was thrown to him, and was open as much as not. Willson did ok.... Fells looked completely lost on a come back, but one play does not a player make. The others, eh.

Not sure why you call him Chop Chop, and don't really care..... but that play Kearse made on Browner in the goal line drill was stellar. Messed up Browner bad and mad HIM look like the plebe.

Micheal looked good, but Ware did too. It's just real hard to say when you know the D-line isn't tacking 100%. I will agree with you that I have a hard time seeing Ware as FB.

As for the linemen...jeez, I just don't get how you can see squat much less all the detail you put into your reports. Especially as much as they were swapping players each play. The two players I WAS able to take note of were during drills...Williams and Mayowa. Either the guys they went up against were stiffs or they have some good moves.

Here are some other off the cuff observations......
Russell Wilson....dude just leads at everything! Drills... in the first group every time, first to finish. When the horn blew and they moved to a new spot, he ran hard, and was always the first guy to the new spot. Jeez. I was embarrassed for Quinn and Jackson. They just acted like it didn't matter.

Irvin, drills with the LBers, but scrimmaged with the D-line. Saw him in 3 and 4 point stances as much as I did in upright stances.

Really liked what i saw from Kearse. He's quick and has good moves in and out of breaks. No drops that I saw. Agree with others on Baldwin. He seems to be having a real good camp and today was no exception.

Walter Thurmond looks REAL good and seems ready to make a contribution this year. Honestly, I never saw Winfield make any plays today, but I saw Thurmond make many.

Saw the whole thing with the 49ers guys, as I was sitting right near them. Pretty fun and everyone involved took things the right way.

Ken Norton Jr looks like he could still play and make a contribution.

Overall, in today's scrimmage, to me it seemed like the offense caught up with the defense a little bit. #1 and #2 units both moved the ball and scored. Russell had to improvise a little too much for my liking however.

Latest posts