Del Rio Bold Russell Prediction

Reaction score
Largent80":1pc2odlb said:
If you think JS and Pete are going to let RW go, you don't know them very well.

Del Rio, the guy without a coaching job.

Yeah don't get me wrong. I am a huge fan of RW and want him here for the next 10 years. Just trying to look at the situation objectively and not just agreeing with Del Rio...could really care less what he thinks.
I get the argument from both camps regarding extending his contract which will limit our ability to do other things. Look we all know we were very fortunate to have RW outplay his rookie deal and allow the team to load up on defense. Not sure how this ends up playing out but if the Giants or some other big market team start throwing multiple first rounders and a player or two out there...I believe Pete and John will take a long look.

classicaaron

Reaction score
to me Russ is so important that if im ownership and Pete and John don't want to work with Russ you tell Pete and John to find another job. simple as that.

nwHawk

Reaction score
This situation feels like the Packers and Erin Rodgers. I would not be too surprised if Green Bay fans thought the exact same way with their god-like quarterback. Unfortunately for them, years are going by without championships. Their coach is out the door, costs are going up... yada yada yada.

Hawks need to consider every possiblity. Team first.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
nwHawk":338ji3u6 said:
This situation feels like the Packers and Erin Rodgers. I would not be too surprised if Green Bay fans thought the exact same way with their god-like quarterback. Unfortunately for them, years are going by without championships. Their coach is out the door, costs are going up... yada yada yada.

With all due respect, the 2 situations are nothing a like.
AR rode the bench for how many years before he got the regular starting gig?

Seattle doesn’t have an AR clone sitting the bench sitting and learning the system.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Yes, the Seahawks will trade Russell for the Herschel Walker pick package.

Seahawks trade Wilson, 2019 3rd,7th rounders, and 2020 3rd rounder.

Seahawks get

1st, 2nd, 6th rounders in 2019
1st, 2nd rounders 2020
1st, 2nd, 3rd rounders 2021

nwHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3640aagf said:
nwHawk":3640aagf said:

With all due respect, the 2 situations are nothing a like.
AR rode the bench for how many years before he got the regular starting gig?

Seattle doesn’t have an AR clone sitting the bench sitting and learning the system.

I'm not going back that far. AR just signed an extension before this past season and the team was a joke, and the have plenty of holes. They had been a pass dominate team, so I get it, but that's a ton of money.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
NFL fans and Coaches/GMs have this distinct cultural tendency to believe in the draft :lol: . Basically, the logic is that you can just draft someone and replace a great player. This logic doesn't exist in any other sport. Not baseball, not hockey, not basketball, not soccer, not track, not tennis. Etc etc. etc.

If that was the case, no team would be in QB hell for years and years like the Jets, Browns, etc. Replacing a QB is by far the hardest thing you can do. It is literally as stupid as having a great wife or husband, then thinking you can easily connect with another person and get married. The grass isn't always greener, it could take years if you get married to the right person again..so to speak. This entire debate about trading him just seems silly

The sad part about it is, if we trade him and it ends up being a horrible decision, it's not something you can just reverse. Once you make this kind of decision, that's it. We better be damn sure

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
toffee":1orlbsdt said:
coorslighthawk":1orlbsdt said:
I hate to say it but I think he could be right. The fact that RW is gonna want a massive contract coupled with the fact Pete wants to get back to tough defense and a running game makes me think a trade could be in the works. I think it will be the Giants but who knows.
I get both sides of the argument for or against for RW new contract. I for one am a big RW fan but as a fan of the Hawks first and foremost...I trust management to do the right thing. Gonna be very interesting to see how it all plays out.

what if 9ers comes with Jimmy GQ + First round pic + 3 round pick for our DangeRuss Wilson?
I'd consider it if they took off Jimmy GQ... ;)

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":2m7l7xfd said:
No news.

Pundits look for "clickable stories" and the biggest possible story right now is a "Superbowl winning QB possibly moving to another team."

Del Rio's coaching career is OVER. He's looking for a desk job. Open Mouth, Make Bold Statement.
Add in: "hrm, how can I get the most clicks out of this? Link him to an east coast big-market team! Who's the biggest team there that needs a QB... The Giants!"

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Seahawks can survive without RW. If I were John/Pete, I would trade him and draft a QB. RW was found in the 3rd round. Why can't another RW be found in later rounds? Yes, it is risky thinking. But ... we have no shot at SB with a $35m/year QB. Fact.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
joeseahawks":3pixnsum said:
Seahawks can survive without RW. If I were John/Pete, I would trade him and draft a QB. RW was found in the 3rd round. Why can't another RW be found in later rounds? Yes, it is risky thinking. But ... we have no shot at SB with a $35m/year QB. Fact.

Yep, should be pretty simple. Every team is able to get a franchise QB whenever they want. The teams that don't have one, are choosing not to have one. It's just THAT simple.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
joeseahawks":1gum9k50 said:
Ok, you're in the mall, in the toilet, having just done a big number 2. To your horror, you look at the toilet paper holder, and it's empty. All the paper you have on you is that $100,000,000-winning Lotto ticket you haven't turned in yet.

Now we apply the logic: "I was able to guess the right numbers before, why can't I do it again? Might as well use it to wipe!"

Some more logic: The salary cap for 2018 was $177 million. The projected cap for 2020 is $200 million. How is it we have no shot if the increase in salary cap is more than the increase in what we would pay the QB?

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
More fun facts:

When we signed Matt Flynn for $26 million over 3 years, the Seahawks were worth $997 million as the #25 most valuable NFL team.

As of September 2018, the Seahawks are worth $2.6 Billion as the #16 most valuable NFL team.

Winning consistently matters to the people signing the cheques.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Not advocating for a trade, but if a trade was going to happen, I would think it would need to be a three way trade with the Giants picking up one of the first 5 picks from a team that is set with a first-contract QB, and wants something from the Giants. The Giants would trade that pick, plus a package of others, for Russ.

Maybe the Cardinals.

James in PA

Reaction score
Guys, I have to admit I’m getting a little nervous. Florio was saying today that there’s no way Del Rio would just throw this out there unless he heard it from someone in the league that he trusts. The Giants thing does make sense on many fronts: they have the draft capital, Manning is all but done, the GM needs to restore credibility, and a power couple like Russ & Ciara would thrive in that market. I don’t know: I’ve gone from thinking the story was total BS with no legs to at least having some concerns now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thegameq

Reaction score
Where there's smoke there's fire.....

Pete and John are well aware of the ramifications of signing Russ to a deal that will limit their ability to field a SB team. Likewise, they're aware of what it was like before Russell. If the plan is to let him walk they would no doubt be looking for a quarterback with traits similar to Russ that can run Pete's simplified, run heavy offense. But Russ is a winner and that's harder to find in the draft.

I fear the Seahawks are about to become the Packers; great quarterback with "so-so" talent and a few gems here and there.

Making the playoffs nearly every season--making it to the second round and maybe conference championship a few times, but ultimately falling short. I would be grateful for at least competing and having a chance.....but something about it still rubs me the wrong way......

We have fallen back to the pack so to speak, and it isn't a good feeling.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I'd rather sign Russ to the big contract and deal with the cap issues like having less expensive guys elsewhere meaning you have to draft well and be smart in free agency, vs not spending money on a star QB and unless they find the next guy right away than experience those years after Hass's play diminished and Russ got drafted.

chris98251

Reaction score
thegameq":1qv05fsm said:
Where there's smoke there's fire.....

Pete and John are well aware of the ramifications of signing Russ to a deal that will limit their ability to field a SB team. Likewise, they're aware of what it was like before Russell. If the plan is to let him walk they would no doubt be looking for a quarterback with traits similar to Russ that can run Pete's simplified, run heavy offense. But Russ is a winner and that's harder to find in the draft.

I fear the Seahawks are about to become the Packers; great quarterback with "so-so" talent and a few gems here and there.

Making the playoffs nearly every season--making it to the second round and maybe conference championship a few times, but ultimately falling short. I would be grateful for at least competing and having a chance.....but something about it still rubs me the wrong way......

We have fallen back to the pack so to speak, and it isn't a good feeling.

2 - 14 isn't a good feeling, you must not have been around that long........

AgentDib

Reaction score
As others have said there is no actual story here, and even Del Rio is only willing to suggest it as something that could happen. Still, there's no harm in discussing what people would view as fair compensation. I am surprised at the number of posters here who claim any price is simply not possible. Is that virtue signalling of some sort?

The most common reason to trade a player is that there is mutual benefit in doing so. In other words, is it possible that the sum of [Giants wins] + [Seahawks wins] is higher with Russ on the Giants? If so, then there may be mutual benefit involved in an exchange even if that exchange is very expensive. Transaction costs are very low in the NFL so it would be poor practice for the Seahawks to not investigate if they felt this was the case.

The other reason to trade a player does not apply here and that is if both parties have differing opinions on a player's ability. I doubt many in NFL circles view Russ as highly as Pete does.

Personally, I do not think Russ would be more valuable on another team. In my view efficient QB play is critical to a run first offense, both because we need to convert a high percentage of third downs in order to continue running the ball and also because we have a very high frequency of third downs in the first place. Additionally, Russ provides both mobility and an excellent deep ball that further enables our running game.

It is possible that we could find a cheaper alternative but it would need to be the right alternative. Simply throwing in a Fitzpatrick type QB would lead to a huge decrease on offense.