Del Rio Bold Russell Prediction

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
AgentDib":t3ozy1sa said:
As others have said there is no actual story here, and even Del Rio is only willing to suggest it as something that could happen. Still, there's no harm in discussing what people would view as fair compensation. I am surprised at the number of posters here who claim any price is simply not possible. Is that virtue signalling of some sort?

The most common reason to trade a player is that there is mutual benefit in doing so. In other words, is it possible that the sum of [Giants wins] + [Seahawks wins] is higher with Russ on the Giants? If so, then there may be mutual benefit involved in an exchange even if that exchange is very expensive. Transaction costs are very low in the NFL so it would be poor practice for the Seahawks to not investigate if they felt this was the case.

The other reason to trade a player does not apply here and that is if both parties have differing opinions on a player's ability. I doubt many in NFL circles view Russ as highly as Pete does.

Personally, I do not think Russ would be more valuable on another team. In my view efficient QB play is critical to a run first offense, both because we need to convert a high percentage of third downs in order to continue running the ball and also because we have a very high frequency of third downs in the first place. Additionally, Russ provides both mobility and an excellent deep ball that further enables our running game.

It is possible that we could find a cheaper alternative but it would need to be the right alternative. Simply throwing in a Fitzpatrick type QB would lead to a huge decrease on offense.
If we traded Russ to the Giants I have a sneaking suspicion that the enigma that is Eli Manning would be part of that trade deal. Same deal with a team like the Raiders and Carr. Of course, Carr would come with the huge downside of a very long, pretty large contract which kind of defeats the purpose of trading Russ.

I think that the Seahawks have definitely considered the possibility of trying to offload Russ. Schneider personally attending Josh Allen's proday last season was an interesting development that even drew inquiries from Russ, and Russ's agent. It seems like the Seahawks also drug their feet in getting extension talks started. I don't think that the 'Hawks will trade Russell Wilson, but I definitely think it either was on the table, or is still a possibility for the right price. Will a trade ever happen? Not likely. It would have to be an enormous deal of epic proportions in order for our team to consider it. What is likely to happen is the status quo.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Eventually, some team is going to be the first to break the dam, and offload a franchise level QB, in his prime, along with his franchise hobbling contract. Only history will tell if this ends up being a good move or not.

Personally, I think it's most likely to be the Rams.

Could the Seahawks be the trendsetter here?

Not that I particularly like the idea, but I'm fascinated to see the result

Latest posts