Derek Carr> Colin Kaepernick

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I do like Derek Carr's upside more than Kaepernicks. Kaepernick is coming up on 3 years as the signal caller of the 49ers and he hasn't made any significant progress. He looks exactly like the guy he was 3 years ago when he first took the reigns. Kaepernick is a decent QB that will take care of the ball, and make big plays every now and again, the problem is he will never be more than that.

He still has a slow, funky weird release, he still has not learned how to put touch on the ball, he still has not learned how to look off his receivers, he progresses through his reads rather slowly, and his pocket presence can be very erratic, and his accuracy is hit and miss. None of these flaws have really been fixed, or really improved upon.

Carr on the other hand looks like he has a very bright future. This is a case of potential vs. a known quantity. Carr has been dealt a crap hand in Oakland, yet is thriving in such a poor environment. Sure his TD:INT ratio, and his Yards/average are not very high, but lets remember, he has the worst supporting cast in the NFL.

One thing I need to make mention of is Carr's lightning quick release. Unlike his brother he does not hold unto the ball for very long. At the end of his three step drop the ball is almost always out of his hands. His release speed, decisiveness and presence in the pocket are eye popping, especially coming from a rookie. I expect good things to come from Carr if he ever gets a decent supporting cast.

rideaducati

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":14kwdc52 said:
He's quietly hoping all his tape and sound bites on the subject matter just fades away unnoticed...

Haven't heard a peep about Kaep from Jaws. Chris Carter kind of blasted him a couple weeks ago when he brought up the comment Jaws made about Kaep, but so far, no response.

HawkWow

Reaction score
The best one has to be Mariota = Kaepernick. That one slays me every time.

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawknation2014":61ue5u4t said:
I would take Kaepernick, honestly.

I'd pass on both of them not knowing anything about Mariota. If ANYONE would rather have Kaepernick, the other guy has to be awful too.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Kaepernick is largely why the Niners suck. And the Niners brought this on themselves. When Kaep wasn't making huge money, they ran him and he was effective when a threat to run. Ineffective when not. Now they have to protect their high priced "FQB" and now they are very predictable. In fact, boring.

Kaep can beat average defenses with his arm but needs his wheels to beat us. Kaep has never beaten us with his arm. So if their objective was only to beat average teams, and not win the NFCW, then they have it goin' on.

Smellyman

Reaction score
rideaducati":1c68k4f6 said:
hawknation2014":1c68k4f6 said:

I'd pass on both of them not knowing anything about Mariota. If ANYONE would rather have Kaepernick, the other guy has to be awful too.

similar skills, Mariota has a much better release and feel for the game. More importantly he has a brain.

HawkWow

Reaction score
rideaducati":23ypwed0 said:
hawknation2014":23ypwed0 said:

...not knowing anything about Mariota.

Comparing Mariota to Kaep is easy. If not lazy. Both are tall and can run the ball. That's where the comparison ends. Why I laugh when Hawk fans make this comparison is because if Mariota was 6" shorter, the pundits would be comparing him to Wilson. The fact of the matter is, Mariota is a prototype. You can't compare him to anyone because there's not been another QB quite like him. But people need comparisons. So those that over-estimate Kaepernick, compare him to Kaepernick. Watch some game film on both men. I've watched all of Mariota's career and too much of Kaeps. There are no further comparisons other than their shared ability to run.

kearly

Reaction score
I think of Marcus Mariota as a blend of Colin Kaepernick and Matt Ryan.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Which is a little scary.

Latest posts